PDA

View Full Version : Pedals: Crank Brothers Eggbeater 11 vs. Shimano 9100 XTR

dbnm
04-18-2020, 02:48 PM
I've got an all-road bike build in the works and I'm researching some pedals for it.

Shimano 9100 XTR cost $165 and weigh 325g
or
Crank Brothers Eggbeater 11 cost $275 and weigh 180g

I've used the eggbeaters before and they are fine. Never used XTR pedals before. I'm not getting all weight-weenie on it but 145g is a lot.

Can anyone offer a real world comparison?

JStonebarger
04-18-2020, 03:19 PM
I love my Eggbeaters. Especially as they are impossible to clog. But I'd probably go Eggbeater 2 for $100 -- they're still lighter than the XTRs.

jtbadge
04-18-2020, 04:18 PM
Shimano pedals are virtually indestructible. Cranks Bros not so much.

eddief
04-18-2020, 05:46 PM
and get SPD 8100. when i look at Cranks it seems as if theyr'd be not such good support from the pedal platform and the cleat. never been on em.

https://bikecloset.com/product/shimano-pd-m8100-deore-xt-spd-w-cleat/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwyur0BRDcARIsAEt86ICyEA2h8nEvcnrd8im A8Ii_JvdFZLRDGjjubL6JT98k_MQYEmmBC5oaAtyQEALw_wcB

blacklegor
04-18-2020, 05:52 PM
I've pulled out of eggbeater pedals a few times, but never on my shimano pedals.

John H.
04-18-2020, 06:02 PM
It depends on what you like and what your body likes.
I had a good run on Eggbeaters- but then I started having some IT band issues. Maybe it was the lower Q factor that the Eggs have?

What I ended up with was HT Leopard M1 pedals. They are the most stable and solid feeling mtb type pedal that I have ever used. No slop, no creaking, no monkey motion of any kind.
They do make a Titanium spindle version- Not as light as Eggbeater, but lighter than XTR.

jwin
04-18-2020, 06:04 PM
I simply like Egg Beaters for the horizontal compliance. The Shimano 2-bolts hurt my knees on long rides.

cal_len1
04-18-2020, 06:09 PM
If you have used egg beaters, you will be shocked at the cleat life of Shimano. I also find the slightly wider platform to be better. For all road bike, I'd pick the most stable one, which is Shimano.

Spoker
04-18-2020, 06:48 PM
Take the Candy's. Lighter and easier on the knees.
In the end, replacing cleats-and bearings is cheaper than a knee replacement by a factor 1000.

okayku
04-18-2020, 09:51 PM
I raced cross on eggbeaters for 3 years and XTRs for another 3 years. I've pulled out of the eggbeaters before but never the XTRs, and I feel more connected to the bike on them as well. So for racing, I would recommend the XTRs but for an all-road bike and if you're not doing anything too technical, I'd say go with the eggbeaters for the weight savings.

kppolich
04-18-2020, 10:01 PM
Ridden them both, raced them both.

Started with Ti Egg beaters, super nice, super light, easy in and out, tons of float, good in the mud. BUT - they eat into shoes and there just isn't that much pedal under your foot.

Now riding XTR PD-9100's on my CX bike. Super nice, tactile clip in and out. Cleats are cheap and largely universal. Heavier yes, by about 150g but man that solid (larger) pedal body under your foot feels great.

Sticking with XTRs for now and I'm working with a 3rd party to spin up some XTR spindles in Ti.

jpritchet74
04-19-2020, 09:38 AM
Ridden them both, raced them both.

Started with Ti Egg beaters, super nice, super light, easy in and out, tons of float, good in the mud. BUT - they eat into shoes and there just isn't that much pedal under your foot.

Now riding XTR PD-9100's on my CX bike. Super nice, tactile clip in and out. Cleats are cheap and largely universal. Heavier yes, by about 150g but man that solid (larger) pedal body under your foot feels great.

Sticking with XTRs for now and I'm working with a 3rd party to spin up some XTR spindles in Ti.

Same here - the egg beaters never felt like a pedal under my feet - the XTRs feel so much better.

I remember looking into ti spindles for XTR pedals and saw that someone made some, but that they would "wear" so I abandoned the idea.

It might be worth looking into the HT Leopard M1 pedals that John H. is using.