PDA

View Full Version : Worst TV and Movie endings in history

Velocipede
04-17-2020, 12:37 PM
I just got done watching an FX mini-series on Hulu, I won't say which in case people are still watching it, but seriously?!??! One of the worst endings ever.

Which brings up, what are the worst TV and movie endings of all time?

Of course we all know LOST. But what other ones? I'll start...

The X-Files. The original series.
AND the mini-reboot X-Files.
Hell! Even the 2 movies of the X-Files.
Manhattan. Loved the show but they rushed the last like 6 episodes.
Sons of Anarchy. Horrible ending.
The one I just watched of course.
Heros and the mini-reboot Heros.
The Sopranos- so I've been told. I've never watched it.
Seinfeld.
Friends.
Sex and the City. The tv show and the second movie.
The Last Ship.
Southland. It was such a great show and they ended the series on a cliffhanger. Bad form folks.
Castle.
Nip/Tuck.
The Event.
Flashforward.
Zero hour. these last 3, I was getting into and they rushed the series finales.

What does everyone else have?

FlashUNC
04-17-2020, 01:06 PM
You can just say you didn't like the ending to Devs.

steelbikerider
04-17-2020, 01:08 PM
Newhart had the best of all, making fun of the all the others with a totally plausible ending that I didn't see coming but recognized immediately before anyone even said anything.

tomato coupe
04-17-2020, 01:11 PM
Newhart had the best of all, making fun of the all the others with a totally plausible ending that I didn't see coming but recognized immediately before anyone even said anything.
It was brilliant.

Elefantino
04-17-2020, 01:28 PM
My wife screamed at me -- "WHAT DID YOU DO!?!?!?" -- at the Sopranos ending.

All these years later, I'm still up in the air about it.

Seramount
04-17-2020, 01:32 PM
Breaking Bad's final episode blew hard.

Episode 1 of True Detective ended with the same kind of mindless gun battle.

that kind of lazy writing annoys the crap out of me.

PQJ
04-17-2020, 01:33 PM
Game of Thrones, Season 8

robt57
04-17-2020, 01:34 PM
Dunno if worst, unless worst means you are sorry you watched it.

Will Penny, Charlton Heston.

R3awak3n
04-17-2020, 01:43 PM

Breaking Bad final episode was great. You are the first person I heard say it was bad.

The worst endings I have remembered, LOST... But that show sucked after season 2.

As far as movies. I am legend. I actually enjoyed the movie and then they decided to come up with some BS ending that is not like the book.

Jaybee
04-17-2020, 01:45 PM

This is the first time I've ever heard anyone accuse a Vince Gilligan-led writers room of being lazy. I suppose there were other solutions on offer, but the entirety of 5 seasons led up to that moment.

jchasse
04-17-2020, 01:49 PM
Sopranos and GoT are at the top for me.

Ever see the movie Limbo with David Strathairn? Some people didn't like that ending, but I thought it was great.

yinzerniner
04-17-2020, 01:57 PM
Worst:
Game of Thrones
Lost
How I Met Your Mother
Sex and the City
Dexter
Rome (only because they had to rush it)
Terriers (only because they never got a second season)

Best:
MASH
Frazier
Cheers
Six Feet Under
The Wire
Breaking Bad
Mad Men

Velocipede
04-17-2020, 01:59 PM

I've never seen either. Well, I saw the first episode of Breaking Bad and was like huh? Why is this good?
I did the same thing with the Walking Dead. 2 episodes there. And I like zombie movies.

I agree. The lazy writing thing drives me nuts. It's like, you had 2, 4, 6, 8 seasons to do something and you didn't show up to work for the last week!

On a side note to add to my list, Burn Notice, Royal Pains, Suits(gone downhill since like season 5?), White Collar, Covert Affairs<-- ALL are USA Networks shows. Maybe it's the network?
Nash Bridges.
Designated Survivor.

Velocipede
04-17-2020, 02:04 PM
You can just say you didn't like the ending to Devs.

Well I didn't want to just come out and say it. But yes, DEVS. It was great till the last episode. Super disappointed.

jpritchet74
04-17-2020, 02:13 PM

THIS.

Absolutely f@$king ruined the entire series with that finale. Bastards!

Velocipede
04-17-2020, 02:15 PM
THIS.

Absolutely f@$king ruined the entire series with that finale. Bastards!

LOL!!! Tell us how you really feel. I've never seen the show so I don't know.

tbike4
04-17-2020, 02:15 PM
Sounds like my plans for never watching Lost or GoT can stay in place.

cmg
04-17-2020, 02:26 PM
Orphan Black, stopped watching during the last season, story started to get the international conspiracy route

Son of Anarchy, another one where i stopped watching during the last season. There wasn't a clear definition good or bad characters, just degrees of badness. all characters flawed to a degree and that flaw will be displayed.

Mayans, same writer as SoA, watched about 6 episodes. Suffered from the all characters being flawed. this one relished the comingling of character relationships to the point of being unbelievable.

The Walking Dead, stopped watching during the 6th season. I thought they were going to get to someplace with a degree of normalcy or somewhere where they were working on solving the what creates the zombies problem. Air borne virus, the change happens to all upon death. never investigated.

fear of the Walking Dead, stopped watching after the characters entered Mexico. Thought, great they're entering a country that already has law and order issues to be exploited by the writers.

Falling Skies, one of the quickest endings ever seen. they didn't even build up to it. I think it was a flash of a neutron or some bit of sci-fi bomb made the enemy disappear. problem over. Soap Opera with a scifi twist. characters would be talking about their feelings while dodging bullets, running in an open field or jumping over debris.

wtex
04-17-2020, 02:30 PM
Haven't finished it yet, but I love Manhattan. Hated that it ended early.

OtayBW
04-17-2020, 02:31 PM
Seinfeld. I'll say no more....

PQJ
04-17-2020, 02:33 PM
LOL!!! Tell us how you really feel. I've never seen the show so I don't know.
Sounds like my plans for never watching Lost or GoT can stay in place.

Game of Thrones is the greatest TV show in history (IMO), permanently stained by its eighth season. It is worth watching (IMO), even with Season 8.

Velocipede
04-17-2020, 02:36 PM
Orphan Black, stopped watching during the last season, story started to get the international conspiracy route

Son of Anarchy, another one where i stopped watching during the last season. There wasn't a clear definition good or bad characters, just degrees of badness. all characters flawed to a degree and that flaw will be displayed.

Mayans, same writer as SoA, watched about 6 episodes. Suffered from the all characters flawed. this one relished the comingling of character relationships to the point of being unbelievable.

The Walking Dead, stopped watching during the 6th season. I thought they were going to get to someplace with a degree of normalcy or somewhere where they were working on solving the what creates the zombies problem. Air borne virus, the change happens to all upon death. never investigated.

fear of the Walking Dead, stopped after the characters entered Mexico. Thought, great they're entering a country that already has law and order issues to be exploited by the writers.

Never saw Orphan Black.

SOA got bad in the last season and the last episode, UGH!. I like Mayans though but it's a bit confusing the SOA/Mayans relationship at times. But the whole keeping secrets thing is getting old. And Potter needs beaten. Couldn't stand him in SOA.

My problem with the Walking Dead and Fear the Walking Dead is the constant back and forth of the story. Too much to keep track of. It's like with Marvel when they give you bits of a movie that 3 movies later.

Haven't finished it yet, but I love Manhattan. Hated that it ended early.

I loved Manhattan also. Super bummed it ended early. The last few episodes felt rushed. Sorry if that's a spoiler.

Tavarez
04-17-2020, 03:29 PM

The worst part of the Seinfeld ending was that it ended in the first place.

Elefantino
04-17-2020, 03:47 PM

I've never watched an episode. Even my kids can't believe it. I've even seen the puffy shirt at the Smithsonian.

I'll add one more: Tiger King. I fell asleep during the finale. Now they've come up with one more episode, a postscript. Hard pass.

gbcoupe
04-17-2020, 05:23 PM
The TV series Soap had the best ending. As I recall, every single story was left hanging. I thought it was funny.

Tony T
04-17-2020, 06:19 PM
The TV series Soap had the best ending. As I recall, every single story was left hanging. I thought it was funny.

Except that was supposed to be the season finale, a 5th season was planned, but ABC cancelled the show.

gbcoupe
04-17-2020, 06:34 PM
Except that was supposed to be the season finale, a 5th season was planned, but ABC cancelled the show.

Didn't remember that. I thought it was the planned ending. I like that thought better.

Ozz
04-17-2020, 06:38 PM
"Jericho" - great story, characters, cast.....didn't get the ratings so network just cancelled it.....ugh....loved that show.

parris
04-17-2020, 06:42 PM
For me one of the shows with a bad ending was Quantum Leap. They ended up having to piece something together because the show didn't get picked up for another season so it was choppy and somewhat disjointed.

Hellgate
04-17-2020, 06:43 PM
I'm not sure what I can add, but Lost and SOA ended terribly. Dexter blew too.

peanutgallery
04-17-2020, 06:44 PM
The Sopranos. No closure

The last 2 or 3 episodes of Game of Thrones, *** Heck the entire final season

saab2000
04-17-2020, 06:46 PM
Game of Thrones is the greatest TV show in history (IMO), permanently stained by its eighth season. It is worth watching (IMO), even with Season 8.

Totally agree. Best production of any TV show ever. Like a movie with every episode. Still, the last season was terrible and totally anticlimactic.

peanutgallery
04-17-2020, 06:59 PM
Khaleesi is not amused

Totally agree. Best production of any TV show ever. Like a movie with every episode. Still, the last season was terrible and totally anticlimactic.

brownhound
04-17-2020, 09:48 PM
For the old timers —

Best = Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman

IIRC, in the finale the eponymous main character of the canceled show is placed in a mental asylum. Upon entering the common room she sees that the television has a Nielsen rating device on it. Cut scene.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Louis
04-17-2020, 09:50 PM
Best ever:

"The Usual Suspects"

Tavarez
04-17-2020, 10:25 PM
I didn't watch either show, but I remember people were pissed about Lost and Roseanne (during it's original run) for their endings.

Old School
04-18-2020, 12:02 AM
Lucifer was ALMOST a bad ending. Obviously they knew they would not be renewed, and threw something together that at least had a resolution. (almost)

csm
04-18-2020, 08:54 AM
Worst:
Game of thrones for sure. It's like they phoned it in.
Sopranos... some days I think the ending the worst, others I think it was brilliant.
Son of anarchy..... got progressively worse. Not sure why I stuck it out.
Seinfeld.
Best:
Parenthood
Modern Family.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seramount
04-18-2020, 09:47 AM
the ending of Succession was perfect. in fact, the entire series was superb.

Tony T
04-18-2020, 10:20 AM
the ending of Succession was perfect. in fact, the entire series was superb.

Except, that it didn’t end.

BRad704
04-18-2020, 11:13 AM
The Sopranos. No closure

I wasn't super into the show, but I loved that ending. The whole point is that from a particular point of view, there IS no closure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

palincss
04-18-2020, 12:05 PM
I wasn't super into the show, but I loved that ending. The whole point is that from a particular point of view, there IS no closure.

Making it seem as though the cable service failed at the climactic moment was a sleazy, cheap trick. It would have been more honest to simply freeze the frame and roll the credits.

saab2000
04-18-2020, 12:12 PM
Khaleesi is not amused

Khaleesi is dead.

72gmc
04-18-2020, 01:03 PM
A lot of worsts have been named that I was never going to watch anyway. But, the mentions of Soap, Newhart, MASH and Cheers make me wonder about Taxi. I don't remember seeing a last episode. I'll have to see if I can find it.

Newhart's ending was so good I occasionally rewatch the final few minutes.

Tony T
04-18-2020, 01:13 PM
A lot of worsts have been named that I was never going to watch anyway. But, the mentions of Soap, Newhart, MASH and Cheers make me wonder about Taxi. I don't remember seeing a last episode. I'll have to see if I can find it.

Newhart's ending was so good I occasionally rewatch the final few minutes.

Technically, Taxi had two, the last on ABC (“The Road Not Taken”), just another episode then the final finale on NBC (“Simka’s Monthlies”) which was just another episode.

Wikipedia: ...the Taxi cast members were given an opportunity for closure, which up to that point had been denied for them due to the abrupt (ABC) cancellation. The actors took their "final" bows during DeVito's opening (SNL) monologue, only to have NBC (which aired SNL) pick up the show.

zzy
04-18-2020, 01:28 PM
You guys didn't get the Sopranos ending. It made things perfectly clear. And it was utterly genius. Rewatch the second half of the last season for lots of clues, and well as the very cheesy POV shots in the diner. He made it as obvious as he could if you're a film nerd.

William
04-18-2020, 01:28 PM
I've never seen either. Well, I saw the first episode of Breaking Bad and was like huh? Why is this good?

Imo, Breaking Bad took a few episodes to find its focus but when they hit their stride it was a fun/interesting ride.

Dumb ending:

A recent one..
Sicario: Day of the Soldado - the last scene (considering what had happened between to two earlier was dumb IMO). Should have just shut the door without a word.

W.

saab2000
04-18-2020, 01:36 PM
Not sure anyone mentioned it, but the ending of Monty Python and the Holy Grail is genius, like the rest of the movie.

Tavarez
04-18-2020, 01:37 PM
You guys didn't get the Sopranos ending. It made things perfectly clear. And it was utterly genius. Rewatch the second half of the last season for lots of clues, and well as the very cheesy POV shots in the diner. He made it as obvious as he could if you're a film nerd.

I agree

Tony T
04-18-2020, 01:45 PM
“Worst TV endings” are tough, as a lot of shows don’t know if they’ll be picked up for a new season, so they try to have some sort of closure in case it’s cancelled, and others are certain they”ll be picked up, so they have a cliffhanger, and then they are cancelled. Very few TV shows have an ending in mind and build towards it (i.e. Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, Lost)

And then there’s the show that had a cliffhanger that needed 25 years to resolve (sort of)

https://is.gd/4QcBxp