PDA

View Full Version : Semi-OT: Roku?

weaponsgrade
04-17-2020, 12:23 PM
Right now I have an old Mac mini hooked up to my TV (non-smart tv). I mostly watch Netflix, Amazon Prime, and YouTube, but also download from cyclingtorrents (well, not this year). I need to take back the Mac Mini. As I understand it, that $50 Roku stick doesn’t require a subscription and I should be able to stream YouTube and my Netflix and Amazon subscriptions. But what about the cycling?

C40_guy
04-17-2020, 12:35 PM
Right now I have an old Mac mini hooked up to my TV (non-smart tv). I mostly watch Netflix, Amazon Prime, and YouTube, but also download from cyclingtorrents (well, not this year). I need to take back the Mac Mini. As I understand it, that $50 Roku stick doesn’t require a subscription and I should be able to stream YouTube and my Netflix and Amazon subscriptions. But what about the cycling?

If you save the torrents as standard video files you may be able to get to them via Roku. Not sure if the stick has network access, if I remember correctly the Roku boxes do (you should check that).

https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/Can-Roku-Ultra-play-media-files-from-network-share/td-p/411794

You may need to install Plex Media Server on the Mac Mini to do so. It's not difficult, and it's largely a no muss/no fuss app.

Or you could just pick up an older Mac Mini. A 2011 I7 with a decent configuration will run a couple of hundred dollars. Note, however, that they are scheduled to go off support soon (no more OS updates). Next gen runs $500 ish...

Dired
04-17-2020, 12:50 PM
I prefer Chromecast over Roku.

+ 1 for Plex

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk