PDA

View Full Version : Ottrott change in appearance?

ls1togo
04-17-2020, 09:23 AM
I have an Ottrott that I would like to change, the ti pieces are painted black and the top tube, downtube and stays are gloss carbon with some white trim. See pic #1
I would like to change it to ti and matt finished carbon..similiar to pic #2

Does anyone have any recommendations on who might do this?...any any idea of the cost?
Thanks

SoCalSteve
04-17-2020, 10:31 AM
http://www.wantaframes.com/firstpage.html

https://www.joebell.net/Joe-Bell-big-website.html

Not sure I would trust anyone else...:eek:

happycampyer
04-17-2020, 10:38 AM
Lots of folks out there who could do this and who have done it successfully. Two that I can recommend wholeheartedly are Velocolor and Hottubes.

tuscanyswe
04-17-2020, 10:50 AM
Just an FYI. Not all carbon layup was the same on the ottrotts through the years. So if you are going with bare carbon make sure u like the weave that your particular ottrott has before you commit.

Yo-Ottrott
07-17-2021, 12:52 PM
I’m about to receive an eBay purchase of a well appointed Serotta Ottrott and can’t wait to install new Seat Stay bearings, clean it up and then take it for a spin! However after seeing basically the same amazing bike of “Duffy” something or other, I was convinced to do the same. The only difference is mine actually shows “parts” of the beautiful carbon fiber weave on the TT & DT, so doesn’t that stand to reason that Serotta would have first polyurethane treated those tubes before doing the Custom paint job? I’m certainly hoping so! The locals around here that are Local Sports fans may approve, but I much prefer the raw looks of exposed Carbon and Ti, Matt or not! Also, since the ST and CS’s are Matt Ti, and since Matt is what they would have done to the Ti if they were to paint it as it promotes the paint to stick more easily, I’m fairly certain that it’ll be Matt Ti underneath on the HT. Although I’m absolutely fine with that, the amount of effort that most likely would result in me ruining the Ti if I were to attempt at brushing it out helped me to come to the conclusion of leaving the Ti as it is, which is just fine!

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1698028320&stc=1&d=1626502528
https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1698028321&stc=1&d=1626502561

ls1togo
07-17-2021, 02:18 PM
The end result of my transformation...

54ny77
07-17-2021, 02:21 PM
WOW!

That's awesome. :cool:

Monsieur Toast
07-17-2021, 02:30 PM
Wicked.

PaMtbRider
07-17-2021, 04:41 PM
That came out really nice. Mind sharing who did the work and a ballpark price.

Hilltopperny
07-17-2021, 04:50 PM
Love it!

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

ls1togo
07-17-2021, 05:33 PM
That came out really nice. Mind sharing who did the work and a ballpark price.

Alan Wanta did the work...If I remember right, it took about 5 months and was in the $500/$600 ballpark...I shipped him the frame and decals and he did the rest.
Alan did a great job!

Louis
07-17-2021, 06:15 PM
and was in the $500/$600 ballpark

That's a lot less than I would have guessed.

Very nice - enjoy the "new" bike. :banana:

joevers
07-17-2021, 06:19 PM
That's a lot less than I would have guessed.

I'm surprised by that too. That build looks so much nicer that I'd have thought. Very cool.

duff_duffy
07-17-2021, 07:38 PM
That looks great!

Steve in SLO
07-17-2021, 08:32 PM
So good.
Love the stealth graphics.

PaMtbRider
07-17-2021, 08:55 PM
Alan Wanta did the work...If I remember right, it took about 5 months and was in the $500/$600 ballpark...I shipped him the frame and decals and he did the rest.
Alan did a great job!

You did good, I would have guessed double that. Gives me something to think about with my Ottrott.

duff_duffy
07-17-2021, 11:09 PM
If you ever want to trade for a more colorful Ottrott, let me know. I can’t seem to pull this color off properly on my rides;) think I want to go back to stealth look.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=268603

The end result of my transformation...

oliver1850
07-18-2021, 12:10 AM
If you ever want to trade for a more colorful Ottrott, let me know. I can’t seem to pull this color off properly on my rides;) think I want to go back to stealth look.

I like color on my bikes, have always thought of my Ti/Carbon Ottrott as dull. I'd trade you if you can grow yours to the 59-60 cm range.

Yo-Ottrott
07-20-2021, 01:29 PM
Love the look, essentially what I’m looking to have done, although I’d settle for just a clear coat over the stripped paint to expose that awesome Carbon Fiber along with minimal stickers like the “Ottrott” on the TT and the cool square stickers on the Seat Tube and one set of “Serotta” on the Chain-stays and call it a day! But I’m not willing to wait 5 months! Jeez!!!!

ls1togo
07-20-2021, 06:05 PM
Love the look, essentially what I’m looking to have done, although I’d settle for just a clear coat over the stripped paint to expose that awesome Carbon Fiber along with minimal stickers like the “Ottrott” on the TT and the cool square stickers on the Seat Tube and one set of “Serotta” on the Chain-stays and call it a day! But I’m not willing to wait 5 months! Jeez!!!!
It is , of course, as you described, low gloss clear coat over a stripped frame exposing the carbon fiber and titanium. It took five months somewhat by design...it was in the middle of the Covid shutdown, I had other bikes to ride and I knew I would be having a total knee replacement while the Ottrott was gone...I remember Allan a a fairly large backlog to work through as well...As I looked at the email threads, the cost was well under $500 (incl. shipping) and the only way to know is ask allan..allan.wanta@hotmail.com

ls1togo
07-20-2021, 06:11 PM

Thanks for the thought, of all the Ottrotts on the Forum, if I were going to swap, yours would be it! (it's beautiful!)...Unfortunately, mine is custom and I lucked out that the fit is perfect! Better than any bike I've had and the fits that I've had done...:) for that reason alone, it makes it tough to part with...

dave thompson
07-20-2021, 07:53 PM
I’ve had 4 Ottrotts, some factory paint and others repainted. My preference is simple but with eye appeal. My favorite is this one, the Ti is painted and the carbon is blue-tint clear coat.

glepore
07-20-2021, 08:09 PM
It is , of course, as you described, low gloss clear coat over a stripped frame exposing the carbon fiber and titanium. It took five months somewhat by design...it was in the middle of the Covid shutdown, I had other bikes to ride and I knew I would be having a total knee replacement while the Ottrott was gone...I remember Allan a a fairly large backlog to work through as well...As I looked at the email threads, the cost was well under $500 (incl. shipping) and the only way to know is ask allan..allan.wanta@hotmail.com
Its a crazy low price for that level of work. Especially if he blasted the ti and just cleared the carbon.
I want the same effect, but on my existing dark candy red carbon, as its perfect. If it had anything but white decals under the clear, I'd be happy. But I don't want masking decals over the clear or to futz with the perfect finish as is.

Your bike is stunning.

ls1togo
07-21-2021, 08:34 AM
Its a crazy low price for that level of work. Especially if he blasted the ti and just cleared the carbon.
I want the same effect, but on my existing dark candy red carbon, as its perfect. If it had anything but white decals under the clear, I'd be happy. But I don't want masking decals over the clear or to futz with the perfect finish as is.

Your bike is stunning.

Thanks....

retropean
07-25-2021, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the follow up, the end result is way better!