PDA

View Full Version : Who was the genius...

paredown
04-17-2020, 09:16 AM
...who decided adding little smooth plastic bumps on the palms of cycling gloves was a good idea?

I have a pair of intermediate weight Campy long fingered and a a pair of Santini summer weight short fingered that are almost unusable, because they are so slippery on the bars...

WTH?

jchasse
04-17-2020, 11:19 AM
I've often wondered if at one time the bumps were more rubbery and tacky, but they hardened up and got slippery over time. Seems doubtful, but I can't fathom that they were made this way on purpose.

In a similar vein, why did glove makers decide it's no longer a good idea to include patches of terry cloth anywhere so you can wipe sweat off your forehead effectively?

paredown
04-17-2020, 02:37 PM
I've often wondered if at one time the bumps were more rubbery and tacky, but they hardened up and got slippery over time. Seems doubtful, but I can't fathom that they were made this way on purpose.

In a similar vein, why did glove makers decide it's no longer a good idea to include patches of terry cloth anywhere so you can wipe sweat off your forehead effectively?

The Santini are brand new--and the bumps are smooth and shiny. The Campys have been used a few times--but they really are the same. Oddly I have a pair of insulated winter Campys that have a leather surface that are properly grippy.

And I too miss the fleece back section for those after-snot-rocket wipes....

smontanaro
04-18-2020, 07:46 PM
Cuero (https://www.cuerogloves.com/) is your friend. :)