PDA

View Full Version : New frame build - decisions! Campy vs Shimano etc

pooneej
04-17-2020, 07:31 AM
So I just picked up a 'new' never ridden but built up steel frameset. Battaglin power +.

I've never had a steel bike and wanted something budget friendly to me to start out and try. I figure if its something that I definitely like a lot maybe one day in the future get a super high end steel frameset (like their portofino that looks stunning to me or an xcr tubed frameset cinelli)

Anyway, it'll be a slow build since I'm going to get piece by piece as money allows. Right now just looking around and what to spec it out with.
Campy Chorus? SHimano Ultegra or DA ? One drawback for me if I did go Campy is I would need wheels.

Anyone prefer one over the other? I know its subjective as hell for most part?

Black Dog
04-17-2020, 07:39 AM
So I just picked up a 'new' never ridden but built up steel frameset. Battaglin power +.

I've never had a steel bike and wanted something budget friendly to me to start out and try. I figure if its something that I definitely like a lot maybe one day in the future get a super high end steel frameset (like their portofino that looks stunning to me or an xcr tubed frameset cinelli)

Anyway, it'll be a slow build since I'm going to get piece by piece as money allows. Right now just looking around and what to spec it out with.
Campy Chorus? SHimano Ultegra or DA ? One drawback for me if I did go Campy is I would need wheels.

Campy chorus is the sweet spot. If 11 speed you don't need wheels. Shimano 11 speed cassettes are fully compatible. What wheels do you have. You may be able to put a campy freehub on them.

oldpotatoe
04-17-2020, 07:44 AM

Must be new..welcome..

Campagnolo is the obvious and best choice for that Battaglin. If 11s, probably, use the shimano wheels, cogset and it'll work perfectly.

Done, close the thread..:)

sg8357
04-17-2020, 07:47 AM
Suntour is the way to go, as Ole Tater sez 'Shimaa-noooo.'

Ebay is your Suntour SuperStore, lots of NOS parts.

pooneej
04-17-2020, 07:49 AM
Campy chorus is the sweet spot. If 11 speed you don't need wheels. Shimano 11 speed cassettes are fully compatible. What wheels do you have. You may be able to put a campy freehub on them.

I did see campy makes 12speed but probably go with the 11 because of cost.

I have mavic cosmic carbone slr and an older set of zipp 303s = so I wouldnt have to spend $$$ for wheelset . thank you !!!!

pooneej
04-17-2020, 07:49 AM
Must be new..welcome..

Campagnolo is the obvious and best choice for that Battaglin. If 11s, probably, use the shimano wheels, cogset and it'll work perfectly.

Done, close the thread..:)

LOL - I was going to title this 'yet another age old campy vs shim post'

oldpotatoe
04-17-2020, 07:56 AM
LOL - I was going to title this 'yet another age old campy vs shim post'

No issue, a discussion forum, but Campagnolo Chorus in 11s and you won't be disappointed...Most functional and reliable mechanical levers there are...

biker72
04-17-2020, 08:41 AM
I never liked the Campy thumb shifters.
That said, I've had Shimano 105, Ultegra, Dura Ace, Campy Athena and Chorus components on my bikes. Never had a mechanical problem with any of them.

soulspinner
04-17-2020, 08:49 AM
Suntour is the way to go, as Ole Tater sez 'Shimaa-noooo.'

Ebay is your Suntour SuperStore, lots of NOS parts.

Raced Suntour Superbe for years on a Cannondale so long ago. The stuff lasted but functionally I love my Campagnolo…..and on a Battaglin? Campy please.:rolleyes:

pooneej
04-17-2020, 09:29 AM
Raced Suntour Superbe for years on a Cannondale so long ago. The stuff lasted but functionally I love my Campagnolo…..and on a Battaglin? Campy please.:rolleyes:

Campy it is gonna be ! thanks all !!!!
my first steelie and first campy . exciting lol !!

jtbadge
04-17-2020, 09:30 AM
Ride before you buy. Don't let mob rule dictate your preferences.

mulp
04-17-2020, 09:42 AM
Hambini would recommend Shimano

pooneej
04-17-2020, 10:25 AM
Ride before you buy. Don't let mob rule dictate your preferences.

Good point although the group I would ride with arent around bc of COVID as well as early in season for planned rides. Plus I dont think any of them have campy.
THey're all (prob 70%) riding Fuji with shimano.

Andy sti
04-17-2020, 10:44 AM
https://i.imgur.com/G4xf6iu.jpg?1

Campy looks great on these but if I was doing it again I'd go Dura Ace.:banana:

robt57
04-17-2020, 10:48 AM
I use both myself.

I have no cabled 11s SH, just a few Di2. I used to only have 9-10s Dura Ace for 2 decades

I have Chorus and SR including a SR 80th ani Group.

I ascetically do not like the cables coming out of the shifters and not under the bar tape. This will matter naught in performance.

I started up a Campy change over due to an arm tendon irritation that would not go away. Swinging the brake lever to shift would not allow it to go away, veritable tennis elbow.

Once I found out all my SH wheels would work with 11s Campy, I ran and not walked to getting a few used Campy groups. And a 11-34 HG-800 11s Shimano cassette fits on 10s SH freehub wheels, and a Wolf Road Link on a SS Campy RD with 34/50 chainset is doable usually. So you can still gear quite modern too

To me, if a bike has an IT BB, it just need to have Campy.

For that frame is would be Chorus or SR for me.

My vote would be for a ST Ti/Cult 11s mint used groupo. The extra weight missing compensates for the steel fork weight. ;)
I get a good steel/frame/fork under 19lb with such a light groupo. ;)

If your financially driven, get what the best deal is. All will shift well.

zennmotion
04-17-2020, 10:50 AM
There are hundreds of write-ups on the usual blogs,websites, forums (including here), among your local riders if you ask them and publications that all find very clearly that there is very little if any discernible difference between 11 speed Shimano 105, Ultegra and D/A except for some weight when you lift the bike. The OP mentioned budget as a key concern to the decision. Nothing wrong with Campy on an Italian frame. Nothing wrong with Shimano either, and objectively (emotional decision making aside, turn down the volume on that Aria playing with your head) 105 is the best value for the dollar if you want new components- you get pro level performance at a fraction of the cost of the higher groups, or any campy groups. I have a 5800 groupset with Ultegra wheels hanging on an early 80s Columbus SL Marinoni. Such a nice ride and groupset shifting performance! Did anyone mention how ALL 11 speed cranks are fugly anyway? Campy left the building in the looks department with their 4 arm cranks. 105 comes in silver too.

Coffee Rider
04-17-2020, 11:36 AM
https://i.imgur.com/G4xf6iu.jpg?1

Campy looks great on these but if I was doing it again I'd go Dura Ace.:banana:

That is a really cool paint scheme.

Coffee Rider
04-17-2020, 11:49 AM
There are hundreds of write-ups on the usual blogs,websites, forums (including here), among your local riders if you ask them and publications that all find very clearly that there is very little if any discernible difference between 11 speed Shimano 105, Ultegra and D/A except for some weight when you lift the bike. The OP mentioned budget as a key concern to the decision. Nothing wrong with Campy on an Italian frame. Nothing wrong with Shimano either, and objectively (emotional decision making aside, turn down the volume on that Aria playing with your head) 105 is the best value for the dollar if you want new components- you get pro level performance at a fraction of the cost of the higher groups, or any campy groups. I have a 5800 groupset with Ultegra wheels hanging on an early 80s Columbus SL Marinoni. Such a nice ride and groupset shifting performance! Did anyone mention how ALL 11 speed cranks are fugly anyway? Campy left the building in the looks department with their 4 arm cranks. 105 comes in silver too.

FWIW, I think a frame this nice is worthy of the marginally higher cost of Ultegra over 5800 even though I agree 5800 is the best value for Shimano. IMHO, Ultegra just looks better. DA is best rationalized by the bling the factor.

I still think Chorus is the best choice here, but that's just me.

cgolvin
04-17-2020, 11:51 AM
I have mavic cosmic carbone slr and an older set of zipp 303s = so I wouldnt have to spend $$$ for wheelset . thank you !!!!

Just a word of warning based on experience: I too had an older set of Zipp 303s (10 speed). They worked with my 11 speed [Campy] setup but the RD clearance was extremely tight, and that was using a 29 in the back, might not have worked with a smaller cassette even after putting spacers in.

Oh, and +1 for Chorus.

Clean39T
04-17-2020, 12:13 PM
Did you get the XL white one that was on eBay? That was a crazy good price...

Excellent bike, here's mine (now belongs to another Paceline friend):

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200417/a6cc46504a8630f6159a107f915c81f1.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

robt57
04-17-2020, 12:19 PM
Where is that pic Dan?

Clean39T
04-17-2020, 12:27 PM
Where is that pic Dan?Phoenix, top of South Mountain..

Clean39T
04-17-2020, 12:28 PM
Here's another from the same trip:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200417/b1b5f04dbc0e659ac9024a245b0a3ae2.jpg

Cgeisler
04-17-2020, 12:37 PM
I have (have or have had) modern campy record, super record, sram red etap, D/A di2 and D/A 9100 mechanical. The D/A 9100 mech is the smoothest, quickest shifting of the group. Campy gets the nod for the power+, though thumb shifters are not the best set up for racing, in my experience.

robt57
04-17-2020, 12:49 PM
I used to really like how buttery the Dura Ace was when I used it. Just throwing the idea out there if a useful consideration. I have come to like more tactile gear changes, not sure exactly why, if not only for I mis-shift less maybe.

We have 3 MicroShift STis here that are on winter bikes. I have come to really like these. I never miss an intended shift or f=go wrong direction. Campy either, but Di2 for some reason I brain fart occasionally.

Thus if brain challenged, for your consideration... ;)

Red Tornado
04-17-2020, 01:29 PM
I used to be a die-hard Campy guy. Lately, I've softened a bit and even have Shimano on my beater/occasional 'cross bike. 105 shift/brake levers and Ultegra derailleurs. The price I paid my buddy was too good to pass up. I find the shifting/braking to be right on par with my Centaur-equipped "go to" bike.

Sit down some evening go over prices, aesthetics and what you can glean regarding performance. Then go with what looks to you to be the best value of these characteristics combined.

No right or wrong group set here; go with what seems to be best for you.

skiezo
04-17-2020, 01:29 PM
I agree on a campy chorus set up. I have an 11 speed chorus that has 10k on it and a 10 speed that has around 2o,ooo on it.
I also would think about a DA in 7800 10 speed as they just do it for me.

R3awak3n
04-17-2020, 01:41 PM
I think my favorite groupset ever is 11 speed chorus with 5 arm crankset. Looks great, same functionality as Record and SR at a fraction of the price for just a tiny bit more weight (actually looks better because does not have all the red). For a mech road bike it is what I would choose 9/10 times.

pooneej
04-17-2020, 02:25 PM
Did you get the XL white one that was on eBay? That was a crazy good price...

Excellent bike, here's mine (now belongs to another Paceline friend):

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200417/a6cc46504a8630f6159a107f915c81f1.jpg

Hey yes that ebay one is what I got
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Battaglin-power-Frame-Fork-Size-XL/114140398890?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

And now I dont feel so bad if you said that was a crazy good price because I did that make offer 3x before a price hit that was accepted.

First two offers instant not accepted. I guess you can do some kind of reserve for offer prices. Third one went and 10 minutes later accepted. Then that feeling hit (that feeling of what did I just do)!

Clean39T
04-17-2020, 02:28 PM
Hey yes that ebay one is what I got

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Battaglin-power-Frame-Fork-Size-XL/114140398890?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

And now I dont feel so bad if you said that was a crazy good price because I did that make offer 3x before a price hit that was accepted.

First two offers instant not accepted. I guess you can do some kind of reserve for offer prices. Third one went and 10 minutes later accepted. Then that feeling hit (that feeling of what did I just do)!What you did is get a crazy good deal on an excellent bike [emoji481]

Good luck w the build!

AngryScientist
04-17-2020, 02:29 PM
I think my favorite groupset ever is 11 speed chorus with 5 arm crankset. Looks great, same functionality as Record and SR at a fraction of the price for just a tiny bit more weight (actually looks better because does not have all the red). For a mech road bike it is what I would choose 9/10 times.

i'm really loving the new 48/32 crank. perfect for my road riding. i hope they expand that chainring availability to the rest of the line-up!

exapkib
04-17-2020, 03:01 PM
Late to the party, but I just moved from Chorus 11 to 6800 on a recent build (my other bikes are Chorus 10 and Force 10). Some things I like about 6800--smooth shifting, easy setup, just "works."

The main change I didn't anticipate--the shape of the 6800 hoods added more than 1cm to my reach when riding on the hoods. I'm going to try a shorter stem, but I didn't think to take this into account when making the change.

Can't wait to see the build!

pooneej
04-17-2020, 05:41 PM
Late to the party, but I just moved from Chorus 11 to 6800 on a recent build (my other bikes are Chorus 10 and Force 10). Some things I like about 6800--smooth shifting, easy setup, just "works."

The main change I didn't anticipate--the shape of the 6800 hoods added more than 1cm to my reach when riding on the hoods. I'm going to try a shorter stem, but I didn't think to take this into account when making the change.

Can't wait to see the build!

Very interesting perspective. thank you. Im old now and COVID stuck inside so spec'ing out the parts is fun actually. Frustrating but killing time fun.

oldpotatoe
04-18-2020, 07:15 AM
105 is the best value for the dollar if you want new components- you get pro level performance at a fraction of the cost of the higher groups, or any campy groups. I have a 5800 groupset with Ultegra wheels hanging on an early 80s Columbus SL Marinoni. Such a nice ride and groupset shifting performance! Did anyone mention how ALL 11 speed cranks are fugly anyway? _____ left the building in the looks department with their 4 arm cranks. 105 comes in silver too.

Pretty funny and not true. shimano 8000 and Campag Centaur is pretty dern close in $. Centaur in Silver too and I know you mentioned 4 arm cranks and fugly but Sorry, Campagnolo gets the nod for prettier and less proprietary.