PDA

View Full Version : Light Bicycle Carbon rims

R3awak3n
04-17-2020, 06:05 AM
Thinking about getting some rims from them. They have this graphene surface that is +$30. Normally I would be all about it but I am in budget mode right now and would love to save $60 ah. Anyone has tried both the normal brake surface and this graphene one and have any thoughts? This bike will probably not see much rain

AngryScientist
04-17-2020, 06:54 AM
Are these going on the Lobster?

No experience with Light Bicycle rims, but i've been rolling an older set of Farsports rims for a while and i was pretty impressed with how well the braking was with cheap blue pads.

to me the key is as long as the brake surface has some texture, and you use cheap soft pads, you are good. the pads wear fast because they are soft, but they brake good and are easy on the rim.

at least that's my experience.

adampaiva
04-17-2020, 07:43 AM
My Lobster got Light Bicycle rims. Disc so no comment on braking surface but the rims built up nicely, sealed tubeless extremely easy, and seem good QC / a good product overall. I’d buy again.
They are also pretty helpful if you send a question via form or email.

one60
04-17-2020, 07:45 AM
Thinking about getting some rims from them. They have this graphene surface that is +$30. Normally I would be all about it but I am in budget mode right now and would love to save $60 ah. Anyone has tried both the normal brake surface and this graphene one and have any thoughts? This bike will probably not see much rain

maybe that's rationale for investing that savings in the rim brake track?

oldpotatoe
04-17-2020, 07:46 AM

Might check out BTLOS..I just built some and they are really excellent quality.

https://btlos.com/road-bike

R3awak3n
04-17-2020, 07:56 AM
Are these going on the Lobster?

No experience with Light Bicycle rims, but i've been rolling an older set of Farsports rims for a while and i was pretty impressed with how well the braking was with cheap blue pads.

to me the key is as long as the brake surface has some texture, and you use cheap soft pads, you are good. the pads wear fast because they are soft, but they brake good and are easy on the rim.

at least that's my experience.

yes, will be on the lobster. My rear boyd ceramic altamont is not braking so good, I think the ceramic track wore out weird and its silver some places and ceramic the other. I should really just sand the ceramic down and see if that helps. But also have been missing my favorite wheels ever which were 45mm deep carbon wheels

My Lobster got Light Bicycle rims. Disc so no comment on braking surface but the rims built up nicely, sealed tubeless extremely easy, and seem good QC / a good product overall. I’d buy again.
They are also pretty helpful if you send a question via form or email.

Good to know. Everyone seems to have great things to say about them

maybe that's rationale for investing that savings in the rim brake track?
yes I saw that which is why it may be a good time to order. I am fine spending the $60 if it is worth it. I was reading somewhere that some people did not like the graphene groove tracks. Some people prefer a smooth track I guess?

Thanks for that, thats a good price for rims. Going to look into them

wai2fast
04-17-2020, 08:49 AM
I placed an order a few weeks back when I saw that $1 shipping offer. Decided to go with the AR46 rim brake version with the cheaper high TG surface. Hope to get it in the next month or so.

R3awak3n
04-17-2020, 09:25 AM
I placed an order a few weeks back when I saw that $1 shipping offer. Decided to go with the AR46 rim brake version with the cheaper high TG surface. Hope to get it in the next month or so.

yeah, I definitely want to take advantage of the $1 shipping. What I want is obviously not in stock (no rim brake rim is it seams) so I will have to wait but no big deal.

ikecycke
04-17-2020, 10:04 AM

I built and rode a set of the same AR46 with standard brake track last year before I moved to disc full time. I haven't tried their graphene brake track, but didn't feel I was giving up anything compared to any other carbon rim-brake wheels with those. I've built up probably 15 sets of the Light Bicycle rims in the past 4-5 years for myself and friends. All are still going strong to the best of my knowledge. (And you'll probably see them in under a month unless they've gotten hit with tons of orders lately, they turn around relatively quickly.)

I also just built my first set around BTLOS rims (the 50mm disc gravel rims) a couple weeks ago. I opted for the 'Premium' construction for the lighter weight. The quality is very nice, and they built up well. I only have a couple rides on them so far, but initial signs are good.

R3awak3n
04-17-2020, 01:26 PM
The BTLOS look nice and cheaper than LB but they are a little heavier, if you opt for premium then prices are similar to LB. I am fine with a little heavier but its hard to beat the $1 shipping on the LBs so would give me a "nicer" rim for similar price.

I might just go regular brake track... but then I think, what is $60 for better braking, specially under heat. I have delaminated a set of carbon wheels before so I am thinking maybe its worth the extra $$$$

donevwil
04-17-2020, 01:50 PM
Wow, thanks for the heads up on the $1 shipping. I had a set of LB rims built locally for my disc bike, the builder said the quality of the rims was outstanding and I've had zero issue with them. I've needed to build a dyno for the front but shipping of one rim had been prohibitive.

Mustangski
04-18-2020, 12:01 AM
I've built up one set of LB rims with the grooved brake track for a friend, they built up very nice and he said they rode well. I wasn't digging the grooves to be honest, they didn't seem very well made and began to flake a little after a few rides. I have another brand new set of their rims with the grooved surface with some Tune hubs in the garage waiting a rainy day.

I'm riding FarSports rims on my bike, without grooves but I prefer them and they brake very well.

Here's a pic of them after a few rides, LB said there is nothing wrong with the brake track. The rims didn't continue to get worse after this, so maybe a one off thing.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Z3n7N1u9fQu6VofG7

I prefer the FarSports brake track, it's not grooved but has some texture.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ERgmMwqWtoq4UYiv7

marciero
04-18-2020, 05:32 AM
The Light Bicycle rims have gotten good reviews from the tandem crowd, so they are likely robust enough. When I checked with them a couple of years ago they were willing to do whatever drilling you wanted also-probably a non-issue here but I wanted 36 hole. To me, the cutoff where carbon rims cross over from good to bling seems to be where the spoke holes go from drilled to molded.

R3awak3n
04-18-2020, 06:41 AM
I am with you on that but afaik only enve does molded spokes? Don’t they have some sort of patent?

The wheels I really miss are my enve classic 45 which ended up delaminating on this crazy descent over here. Average 15% in 2 miles, I have also burned through disc brake pads through there. I will only go up it, never down, its not even fun.

skouri1
04-18-2020, 08:07 AM
What climb is that ? My parents live in Poughkeepsie . Glade is not quite that . Sounds terrible / now I want to do it :)

weiwentg
04-18-2020, 08:37 AM

Good find on those!

They only seem to offer a 19mm internal rim width, so they're clearly road-oriented. For only that reason, these guys are not going on my radar right this second. I'm not really interested in a full carbon rim for my rim brake road bike.

Back to Light Bicycles, I have a hunch that November Wheels uses their 38mm and 50mm rims (November brands them the All Road 38 and 50), and possibly some others. The stated rim dimensions and weights are very similar, and the profile drawings each of them show look almost identical. I'm pretty sure November has explicitly said they use off the shelf carbon rims currently (in the early or mid 2010s, November did do a proprietary mold, but they got out of that). November has never explicitly said that they use Light Bicycles, however.

marciero
04-18-2020, 08:39 AM
dupe

marciero
04-18-2020, 08:40 AM
I am with you on that but afaik only enve does molded spokes? Don’t they have some sort of patent?

The wheels I really miss are my enve classic 45 which ended up delaminating on this crazy descent over here. Average 15% in 2 miles, I have also burned through disc brake pads through there. I will only go up it, never down, its not even fun.

What about November and Woven? I think they do.

AngryScientist
04-18-2020, 09:34 AM
this crazy descent over here. Average 15% in 2 miles, I have also burned through disc brake pads through there. I will only go up it, never down, its not even fun.

What climb is that ? My parents live in Poughkeepsie . Glade is not quite that . Sounds terrible / now I want to do it :)

haha,

if i know the descent, we've all lost a tube or three to the gravity gods.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-qeFCor-mHXc/WcJrMzEatgI/AAAAAAAAC4g/wlKUwsKu2fgq865KCLgtLKFHEmcdD46UgCLcBGAs/s1200/IMG_1288.JPG

R3awak3n
04-18-2020, 10:04 AM

Devils Kitchen

skouri1
04-18-2020, 12:12 PM
Ha, yes I know that one. Not quite 15% average, but still brutal. A long section of it could be before it flattens a bit towards the top.
Every time I go up it, it's a kick in the face. The way down the other side looks like a nice climb, so I would love to do it, but honestly, I would NEVER want to descend devil's kitchen, even on alloys. Going down a super steep descent with loose gravel/ blind corners is not my idea of fun.

AngryScientist
04-18-2020, 12:14 PM
Ha, yes I know that one. Not quite 15% average, but still brutal. A long section of it could be before it flattens a bit towards the top.
Every time I go up it, it's a kick in the face. The way down the other side looks like a nice climb, so I would love to do it, but honestly, I would NEVER want to descend devil's kitchen, even on alloys. Going down a super steep descent with loose gravel/ blind corners is not my idea of fun.

my funny story about that: the first time i did it, i gps mapped out a route and set off. those who know me, know my natural sense of direction is horrific.

turns out i was riding the course in the opposite direction i had intended to, so i did indeed descend the kitchen - and no, it is not fun!

CAAD
04-18-2020, 01:03 PM
I have a couple sets of farsports wheels. Excellent build. No issues with either of them. I have a few thousand miles on each pair. My latest pair are 45mm deep tubulars with their new brake track, cxray, Carbon Ti hubs. Sub 1200 g and absolutely solid. They are on my main bike so they get ridden 10-12 hours per week.

Coffee Rider
04-18-2020, 01:16 PM
Devils Kitchen

Wasn't that featured in the Tour du Pont (or its predecessor)?

R3awak3n
04-18-2020, 01:32 PM

I remember reading somewhere that it was 15% but just looked and according to this site (https://pjammcycling.com/climb/375.Devils-Kitchen) 11% average which is no joke for 2 miles. I know some sections are 20+ percent.

my funny story about that: the first time i did it, i gps mapped out a route and set off. those who know me, know my natural sense of direction is horrific.

turns out i was riding the course in the opposite direction i had intended to, so i did indeed descend the kitchen - and no, it is not fun!

lol

Wasn't that featured in the Tour du Pont (or its predecessor)?

it was on the tour de trump

bshell
04-18-2020, 04:02 PM
I've been riding some Light Bicycle rims with the surface and the grooved brake track pretty hard for @18 months on my cross bike.

LOVE them but can't compare w/ smooth track. Braking is outstanding but I'm also using mini-Vs (also LOOOOVE) as this bike is 11-12 years old. Zero flaking or any other concerns. Built up so easily too. I think shipping was $50 when I got 'em :( and I would still buy again at that price.

Context -I was on HED Belgium+ for a few years but over time they were getting dinged at speed by the rocks in our trails and fire roads.

They were tubeless, as are the current LBs. Specialized 33m tires that actually measure 35mm on both.

skouri1
04-18-2020, 04:19 PM
There's also footage of landis getting dropped by domestic pros by minutes during his comeback.
I actually like him (despite his defense fund fiasco). He's obviously someone who struggled with the lie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI2iQjQJ9_s

Pretty amazing that a former tour winner would have any trouble here...

AngryScientist
04-18-2020, 04:24 PM
There's also footage of landis getting dropped by domestic pros by minutes during his comeback.
I actually like him (despite his defense fund fiasco). He's obviously someone who struggled with the lie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI2iQjQJ9_s

Pretty amazing that a former tour winner would have any trouble here...

Thank you!

That vid made my night.

I have a lot of hope for getting back out there with people. Good stuff! Thanks for digging that one up. :hello:

Hank Scorpio
04-18-2020, 05:11 PM
Thread drift:

Angry have you ever ridden Breakneck Road in Vernon? Goes up past the old Hidden Valley ski area. I read that it may be the steepest paved road in NJ.

R3awak3n
04-18-2020, 05:18 PM
Thank you!

That vid made my night.

I have a lot of hope for getting back out there with people. Good stuff! Thanks for digging that one up. :hello:

Oh man, I am planning this route that will go up DK, down a maybe un-rideable kaaterskill ( lol, need to go and check, literally the last thing to plan) then up a sweet gravel road, then some more gravel, a bunch of single track and ends on a beautiful windy road with beautiful vistas). Hopefully you come do this with me this summer.

b3pkay
04-18-2020, 11:05 PM
That climb gives me nightmares. I did it a few years ago on a loop that started in Woodstock--the 8 miles there were not enough of a warm up and I spent the entire time psyching myself out. Can't wait to do it again someday!

R3awak3n
05-13-2020, 07:18 PM
I might buy a set of LB or Nox rims from China. Was gonna have them shipped straight to my builder. What is up with customs though? ANyone have had to pay them? how will I know if I have to pay them if they are going to the buider?

Sucks I missed the $1 shipping from LB but had no work at the time but found some work for a bit so I can justify some cheap carbon hoops. THinking about going NOX though, any experience with them?

AngryScientist
05-13-2020, 07:22 PM
as you commented in my Allied thread :)

the LB wheels are really very, very good. braking is excellent. finish quality is excellent. they are running tubeless with no issues.

i am a fan!

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-9ErBIH48Psw/XrNEfftCtoI/AAAAAAAADuw/b5IK63tO36wmUsyFDm1Ami32elmHCn9agCLcBGAsYHQ/s1200/IMG_5420.jpg

thirdgenbird
05-13-2020, 07:30 PM
I’m getting tempted too...

Black Aivee SR2 hubs
Silver spaim cx spokes
35mm deep lightbicycle rims
Silver Campagnolo record skewers

AngryScientist
05-13-2020, 07:33 PM
dude.

just buy these!

(before i accidentally do!)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Light-Bicycle-Carbon-Rims-24-hole-tubeless-ready/392758651373?hash=item5b723d69ed:g:A8gAAOSwnm1ekiO v

R3awak3n
05-13-2020, 07:35 PM
dude.

just buy these!

(before i accidentally do!)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Light-Bicycle-Carbon-Rims-24-hole-tubeless-ready/392758651373?hash=item5b723d69ed:g:A8gAAOSwnm1ekiO v

would, except I need 28h. Already have the hubs. Rear is power tap g3 and front is tune mig :(

donevwil
05-13-2020, 07:38 PM
I bought a LB rim during the $1 shipping deal, according to LB the economy shipping method they use to the US is not permitted (by the US) currently on non-essential items. They are exploring low cost options, but for some reason they can ship it as "Urgent" for big $$ (curious?). Fortunately I'm in no rush and have the time to let them figure it out.

mass_biker
05-14-2020, 07:19 AM
Angry - you mention braking on the LB rims as excellent.

Excellent in the dry (vs. alloy) I presume?

How have they been in the damp stuff? My only frames of reference are first gen ENVE (a little too white-knuckle for me) and the Mavic carbon clinchers (a little better).

Also, how do they set up width wise? I'm liking the stance of my HED+ alloy rims and am now spoiled.

m_b

R3awak3n
05-14-2020, 07:22 AM
I bought a LB rim during the $1 shipping deal, according to LB the economy shipping method they use to the US is not permitted (by the US) currently on non-essential items. They are exploring low cost options, but for some reason they can ship it as "Urgent" for big $$ (curious?). Fortunately I'm in no rush and have the time to let them figure it out.

hmmm thats strange. I assume the economy shipping they use is the same they use for $50? I am still deciding if I want to do LB or Nextie, both use the same service, EMS.

I have decided I wanted a texture track too. For $20-$30 for a big guy like me, its worth to have the better track.

AngryScientist
05-14-2020, 07:44 AM
Angry - you mention braking on the LB rims as excellent.

Excellent in the dry (vs. alloy) I presume?

How have they been in the damp stuff? My only frames of reference are first gen ENVE (a little too white-knuckle for me) and the Mavic carbon clinchers (a little better).

Also, how do they set up width wise? I'm liking the stance of my HED+ alloy rims and am now spoiled.

m_b

i have only had them out in the dry. realistically, since i own a bunch of bikes, unless i am caught in unexpected rain, i wouldnt pick this bike to ride in the wet.

width is slightly wider than the belgium+. I can measure this afternoon.

Keith A
05-14-2020, 08:24 AM
Nick -- Do you know which actual rims you have? I looked at their website and there was quite a few to choose from.

AngryScientist
05-14-2020, 08:36 AM

see below

Nick -- Do you know which actual rims you have? I looked at their website and there was quite a few to choose from.

not sure keith...

just measured...

AngryScientist
05-14-2020, 08:41 AM
i should note too, this is really wider than i prefer. i would much rather be in the 23-25mm range for road wheels. these are pushing what my Record calipers will comfortably do and still have significant spring preload.

R3awak3n
05-14-2020, 08:43 AM
i should note too, this is really wider than i prefer. i would much rather be in the 23-25mm range for road wheels. these are pushing what my Record calipers will comfortably do and still have significant spring preload.

yeah these new road rims are ridiculously wide. I am good with 25mm max myself.

thirdgenbird
05-14-2020, 08:50 AM
I’ve been looking at the 25 wide 35mm deep ones. Seems sensible.

junkfood
05-14-2020, 09:16 AM

Yeah I am waiting on a set of rims to ship also.

Jake

8aaron8
05-14-2020, 10:20 AM
A friend of mine just ordered a pair of rims yesterday from Light and they honored the $1, though mentioned it will be 4-6 weeks before they are shipped. I jumped on board with the order as well and will have some of the new brake track rims coming at some point to test.

Keith A
05-14-2020, 12:43 PM
i should note too, this is really wider than i prefer. i would much rather be in the 23-25mm range for road wheels. these are pushing what my Record calipers will comfortably do and still have significant spring preload.Nick -- I'm with you on the extra wide rims with rim brakes. The Boyd 44's that I just purchased have an external width of 27mm, and my Dura-Ace calipers just barely work with these -- even when they are opened all the way. I end up with less lever control than what I like.

donevwil
05-14-2020, 12:47 PM
i have only had them out in the dry. realistically, since i own a bunch of bikes, unless i am caught in unexpected rain, i wouldnt pick this bike to ride in the wet.

width is slightly wider than the belgium+. I can measure this afternoon.

Sorry if this is mentioned elsewhere, but what pads are you using? Anything carbon special or LB rec'd?

AngryScientist
05-14-2020, 12:52 PM
Sorry if this is mentioned elsewhere, but what pads are you using? Anything carbon special or LB rec'd?

through a series of mishaps...

Williams blue pads. They're the basic generic blue carbon pads widely available. As i've mentioned elsewhere, i think they are very good pads for textured brake tracks, though they wear fast. they work well because they are softer i think.

campy red pads are better, but these are a close second, in my experience.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-iIXzB72OWXA/XrNEfwfrO7I/AAAAAAAADu8/283nT631sbIQ6GcbNBpTxuh9IfAvCZyFACLcBGAsYHQ/s900/IMG_5422.jpg

R3awak3n
05-14-2020, 01:36 PM
A friend of mine just ordered a pair of rims yesterday from Light and they honored the $1, though mentioned it will be 4-6 weeks before they are shipped. I jumped on board with the order as well and will have some of the new brake track rims coming at some point to test.

messaging them about this. I don't mind waiting.

cyan
05-14-2020, 05:14 PM
Nick -- I'm with you on the extra wide rims with rim brakes. The Boyd 44's that I just purchased have an external width of 27mm, and my Dura-Ace calipers just barely work with these -- even when they are opened all the way. I end up with less lever control than what I like.

Which series of Dura-Ace is this? Also considering moving to a wider rim but sacrificing too much lever control may be the deal breaker.

Keith A
05-14-2020, 05:16 PM
Which series of Dura-Ace is this? Also considering moving to a wider rim but sacrificing too much lever control may be the deal breaker.I've only tested this on the 10-speed 7800 so far.

cyan
05-15-2020, 12:52 AM
I've only tested this on the 10-speed 7800 so far.

Got it, thanks. I'm thinking if DA 9100 brakes accommodate wide rims better. I know they handle 28mm tires with ease, but haven't found much feedback on how they interact with wider rims.

oldpotatoe
05-15-2020, 06:21 AM
I've only tested this on the 10-speed 7800 so far.

Luddite:)

Keith A
05-15-2020, 10:14 AM
Got it, thanks. I'm thinking if DA 9100 brakes accommodate wide rims better. I know they handle 28mm tires with ease, but haven't found much feedback on how they interact with wider rims.
Let me know what you find out. I'd like to have more lever control than what I currently have.

Luddite:)Haha. It's pretty flat on the East Coast of FL, and 11-speed doesn't buy you much here. Heck, I even regularly ride a bike with 9-speed on it :eek:

Bici-Sonora
09-30-2021, 01:07 PM
Resurrecting this thread. Any more recent experiences with Light Bicycle rims/wheels?

I'm considering their AR36 rim with 21mm internal/28mm external or their AR375 with similar dimensions. I have a set of DT350 28 hole hubs, but could also just have them build them with DT240s. If I do that, I'll probably do them without the spoke holes so a can run them without tubeless tape.

Any thoughts about ordering them with/without the drain holes? Dry here mostly, but...

And any more thoughts on the rim braking feel with 28mm ext. rims? I'll be using them tubeless with TRP 957 calipers with Super Record 12 levers. I'm currently using Belgium Plus (25mm ext.) and have never tried caliper brakes on rims wider than that.

steelbikerider
09-30-2021, 02:45 PM
Last October, I ordered a set of AR 45 rims and laced them to DA 24/28 hubs, a nice set of wheels. I currently use Conti 5000's in 28 width and they will fit under DA 9100 brakes. The rims were easy to true up and have been great for the 500 - 1000 miles I have used them for. I'm using Swiss Stop for brake pads and am not real happy with brake pads so I'm looking to try something else. It's my first set of carbon rims and I'm comparing to HED Belgiums so I may be expecting too much. I do have the textured rim surface and I think I ordered the graphene coating. I'm just over 200 lbs. but the rims seem fine for my weight

Customer service was great receiving emails when order received and when shipped and before ordering when inquiring about shipping methods. Shipping took about 5 weeks.

I would definately recommend them and order from them again.

Leyczo
09-30-2021, 02:46 PM
I ordered a set of rims on July 2nd and still don't have them, although I think they are going to arrive tomorrow.

Somehow they shipped me someone else's rims a couple weeks ago (apparently they swapped our shipping labels). They then had me hold on to them for a week until the other guy had received my rims for some reason, and then they had me ship them to him (they did reimburse me for the shipment, although not very quickly, and not without some prodding). They apparently had him do the same thing, although he didn't get them shipped out very quickly, so I'm still waiting.

I found the shipping mistake to be annoying, and the way they handled it was also annoying, and the whole process has taken forever. Hopefully the rims are nice when they finally get here.

Bici-Sonora
09-30-2021, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the details. So I'm guessing your rims measure 28mm OD at the brake track. How do you find the brake lever action and feel--can you move the lever much before the calipers begin hitting the rim? Do you feel like the brakes have good modulation with the wide rims?

I am going back and forth between the 25mm and 28mm OD options.

Last October, I ordered a set of AR 45 rims and laced them to DA 24/28 hubs, a nice set of wheels. I currently use Conti 5000's in 28 width and they will fit under DA 9100 brakes. The rims were easy to true up and have been great for the 500 - 1000 miles I have used them for. I'm using Swiss Stop for brake pads and am not real happy with brake pads so I'm looking to try something else. It's my first set of carbon rims and I'm comparing to HED Belgiums so I may be expecting too much. I do have the textured rim surface and I think I ordered the graphene coating. I'm just over 200 lbs. but the rims seem fine for my weight

Customer service was great receiving emails when order received and when shipped and before ordering when inquiring about shipping methods. Shipping took about 5 weeks.

I would definately recommend them and order from them again.

Bici-Sonora
09-30-2021, 06:45 PM
Well that is not a feel good story--I hope your rims get here soon. I don't mind waiting 3 weeks, but three months...

I ordered a set of rims on July 2nd and still don't have them, although I think they are going to arrive tomorrow.

Somehow they shipped me someone else's rims a couple weeks ago (apparently they swapped our shipping labels). They then had me hold on to them for a week until the other guy had received my rims for some reason, and then they had me ship them to him (they did reimburse me for the shipment, although not very quickly, and not without some prodding). They apparently had him do the same thing, although he didn't get them shipped out very quickly, so I'm still waiting.

I found the shipping mistake to be annoying, and the way they handled it was also annoying, and the whole process has taken forever. Hopefully the rims are nice when they finally get here.

RudAwkning
09-30-2021, 09:15 PM
[duplicate post]

RudAwkning
09-30-2021, 09:16 PM
Well that is not a feel good story--I hope your rims get here soon. I don't mind waiting 3 weeks, but three months...

It really depends on whether they're shipped from the NA warehouse, or built to order from China. I've had rims shipped and received from Light Bicycle NA within 2 weeks (they ship from Canada so takes a bit longer). On the other hand, I've ordered custom rims from them that took anywhere from 7-10 weeks to arrive.

I just had to set my expectations and tell myself "they'll get here when they get here".

steelbikerider
09-30-2021, 09:35 PM
I think the rims are the 25 wide, couldn't measure well with tires inflated, definately not 28. brake modulation is not real progressive. A light touch is fine for paceline since they don't grab but a quick stop requires a hard pull and there isn't much in between. Caveat though because it is flat around here so no chance to brake for descents and I don't race anymore so I can't tell you how they do in crit cornering. I'm also old so I don't feel the need for agressive cornering.

Not sure if that is al vs. carbon braking or just my rim/brake combo. I guess I need to let someone else try it out to tell me.

Mr B
09-13-2022, 09:24 AM
Anyone have LB rims/wheels shipped recently?
If so, what service did you choose and how did it go?

deluz
09-13-2022, 10:42 AM
I am about pull the trigger on BTLOS 30mm deep rims based on positive feedback here.
Just waiting for my next pension check.
I am wondering if I should order the BTLOS brake pads as well?
Seems like Swiss Stop Black Prince are popular but expensive and reports that they wear out fast. BTLOS offered me a $40 discount if I order two rims, but still have to pay shipping.

kamtsd
09-13-2022, 11:02 AM
I ordered a set from China warehouse on 3/8/2022.
Shipped on 4/16 (MTS-Sea).
Arrived at my door 5/8.

I am located in Bay Area California.

Applesauce
09-13-2022, 11:23 AM
I wouldn't go so far as to say that they're all the same... But I have some LB rims on one bike, and they're great. I hit a rock and broke the front in the first two weeks of ownership, and they gave me a whopping 5% off the replacement and shipped it at considerable expense in about three weeks. The rims are nothing special, but they work just fine. It's fun being able to customize them: glossy finish, nicer brake track, internal nipples (fine if you're the guy building and looking after the wheels, and you know your own work and abilities).

I ordered some CBK a couple months ago, just got them, and have a similar experience (minus the broken one, fingers crossed). They built up straight and round. They're very light (370g for 35mm depth). Again though, they're kinda nothing special. But again, it's fun being able to order exactly what you want: in this case I was able to switch to lighter, wider, deeper rims without replacing a bunch of perfectly good spokes by just switching to internal nipples (again, fine if you're the only variable).

Having said all that, none of these rims hold a candle to the finish, ride quality, domestic manufacturing and warranty handling, and confidence inspired by (thermoplastic?!) rims like We Are Ones. If only they made decent road rims...

deluz
09-13-2022, 11:33 AM
I wouldn't go so far as to say that they're all the same... But I have some LB rims on one bike, and they're great. I hit a rock and broke the front in the first two weeks of ownership, and they gave me a whopping 5% off the replacement and shipped it at considerable expense in about three weeks. The rims are nothing special, but they work just fine. It's fun being able to customize them: glossy finish, nicer brake track, internal nipples (fine if you're the guy building and looking after the wheels, and you know your own work and abilities).

I ordered some CBK a couple months ago, just got them, and have a similar experience (minus the broken one, fingers crossed). They built up straight and round. They're very light (370g for 35mm depth). Again though, they're kinda nothing special. But again, it's fun being able to order exactly what you want: in this case I was able to switch to lighter, wider, deeper rims without replacing a bunch of perfectly good spokes by just switching to internal nipples (again, fine if you're the only variable).

Having said all that, none of these rims hold a candle to the finish, ride quality, domestic manufacturing and warranty handling, and confidence inspired by (thermoplastic?!) rims like We Are Ones. If only they made decent road rims...

I am wondering what the pro's and con's are of internal nipples? My wife's Cannondale has carbon wheels and I had to re-build one because a spoke broke and all the internal nipples where either frozen or glued. I had to buy all new spokes. I did not find that internal nipples where any harder to build with.

Mr B
09-13-2022, 12:22 PM
I ordered a set from China warehouse on 3/8/2022.
Shipped on 4/16 (MTS-Sea).
Arrived at my door 5/8.

I am located in Bay Area California.

Just what I wanted to hear, thanks.

Rim Brake pads - I’m running Chorus 11spd (v2), should I order pads from LB or used something else on their grooved graphene braking surface?

kamtsd
09-13-2022, 02:16 PM
I have only used black prince pad on grooved surface. They stop great.

Applesauce
09-13-2022, 02:32 PM
I am wondering what the pro's and con's are of internal nipples? My wife's Cannondale has carbon wheels and I had to re-build one because a spoke broke and all the internal nipples where either frozen or glued. I had to buy all new spokes. I did not find that internal nipples where any harder to build with.

Those would have been aluminum nipples. First-gen Enves? (Edges?!) Brass nipples obviate that problem.

The main problem is, if you’re not confident in building it right the first time, even truing the wheel means peeling off the tire and tape.

deluz
09-13-2022, 03:19 PM
Those would have been aluminum nipples. First-gen Enves? (Edges?!) Brass nipples obviate that problem.

The main problem is, if you’re not confident in building it right the first time, even truing the wheel means peeling off the tire and tape.

I am very confident in my wheel building. I read in some cases a small hole just big enough to fit a spoke through is drilled in the rim because it is stronger than a larger hole to fit a spoke nipple. With the smaller hole internal nipples are required. This is the case with the rim on my wife's bike. Also some suggestion that internal nipples are more aero.
I see no reason to use internal nipples and BTLOS rims are drilled for standard nipples.

BTW BTLOS is currently having free shipping code CND22.

Applesauce
09-13-2022, 04:28 PM
I am very confident in my wheel building. I read in some cases a small hole just big enough to fit a spoke through is drilled in the rim because it is stronger than a larger hole to fit a spoke nipple. With the smaller hole internal nipples are required. This is the case with the rim on my wife's bike. Also some suggestion that internal nipples are more aero.

I’ve long heard that argument too. I get it; it makes sense. But I quit buying it as a practicality when I never saw heaps of rims broken because of all the humongous nipple holes in them.

The aero argument I might buy. I definitely think they look a little cleaner. Worth the hassle? Up to you. I like the idea of having the choice to do it on my own wheels. I less like the idea of “forcing” it on customers.

Dave
09-13-2022, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the BTLOS code. I've been looking at their wheels for awhile. I ordered a 29mm depth rim, hookless with 25mm internal width. I've been running ZIPP 303S wheels since early this year. No problems except the 45mm depth can foul up handling on mountain descents. The ZIPP wheels will go up for sale soon.

soupless
09-13-2022, 06:25 PM
Just what I wanted to hear, thanks.

Rim Brake pads - I’m running Chorus 11spd (v2), should I order pads from LB or used something else on their grooved graphene braking surface?

Using Swiss Stop Black Prince on Enve textured right now and pleasantly surprised with how well it works.

deluz
09-13-2022, 06:30 PM
How do you decide between glossy or matte finish?
Both bikes I will be using them on have gloss paint finish.
I know gloss will show dirt more but that does not matter to me.

Mr B
09-13-2022, 07:32 PM
Going for satin, which is a custom option on any LB rim. Frame & group are shiny, as are hubs. Post, bars and rims deserve a more subdued finish but I don’t think matte is right this time.

oldpotatoe
09-14-2022, 06:45 AM

I've used Sapim inverted brass nipples on a few builds that have internal nipples. Just gotta add some to spoke length calc since nipples don't come thru rim. I see no advantage to a smaller hole in rim, plus, as has been mentioned, taking the tape, etc, off to true them.

StressStrain
01-25-2024, 02:17 PM
Just ordered LB AR36 rims for a wheel build for my cross bike. I'm building these with old Hugi hubs and new spokes.

LB's order status says they've been built and are currently in shipping.

This raises a few questions:
1. How long does shipping usually take from China to the US?
2. Can I trust LB's ERD calculation and order spokes now? Or do I need to wait and measure the actual ERD before getting spokes?

Pastashop
01-25-2024, 03:11 PM
Just as an aside, I was curious if a rim-brake 26" carbon rim was a thing, and apparently it is:

https://www.lightbicycle.com/wider-mtb-26er-carbon-bike-rim-26-inch-rims.html

https://www.lightbicycle.com/light-bicycle/wider-mtb-26er-carbon-bike-rim-26-inch-rims/wider-mtb-26er-carbon-bike-rim-26-inch-rims.JPG

gospastic
01-25-2024, 03:18 PM
Just as an aside, I was curious if a rim-brake 26" carbon rim was a thing, and apparently it is:

https://www.lightbicycle.com/wider-mtb-26er-carbon-bike-rim-26-inch-rims.html

https://www.lightbicycle.com/light-bicycle/wider-mtb-26er-carbon-bike-rim-26-inch-rims/wider-mtb-26er-carbon-bike-rim-26-inch-rims.JPG

I literally just ordered a pair of these a couple days ago. 10 week wait time, but I'm excited to get them.

echelon_john
01-25-2024, 03:53 PM
1. 21-28 days total. About 21 days at sea, then getting from the port to you. (Assuming you chose sea shipping)

2. You can trust their ERD.

Just ordered LB AR36 rims for a wheel build for my cross bike. I'm building these with old Hugi hubs and new spokes.

1. How long does shipping usually take from China to the US?
2. Can I trust LB's ERD calculation and order spokes now? Or do I need to wait and measure the actual ERD before getting spokes?

Strain
01-25-2024, 04:37 PM

1. How long does shipping usually take from China to the US??

Today I received my wheelset via MTS Sea and took 3 weeks from the day I got the shipping confirmation to my door in NJ.

StressStrain
01-26-2024, 08:52 AM
Today I received my wheelset via MTS Sea and took 3 weeks from the day I got the shipping confirmation to my door in NJ.

Cool, just got shipping confirmation today. Looking forward to the build!

@echelon_john, thanks for the advice on ERD.

Pastashop
01-26-2024, 04:56 PM
I literally just ordered a pair of these a couple days ago. 10 week wait time, but I'm excited to get them.

Oooh! Are you planning to use them with rim brakes or disc?.. Please post on your experience with them!

gospastic
01-26-2024, 08:54 PM
Oooh! Are you planning to use them with rim brakes or disc?.. Please post on your experience with them!

They’ll be rim brake. I’ll be putting them on my Giant Iguana. Planning to do some Bitex hubs (found here) in 24f/24r with sapim spokes. Should come in around 1240g. It’s a ridiculous build but I love riding that bike.