PDA

View Full Version : Shimano shift & brake lever misaligned

cgolvin
04-16-2020, 12:54 PM
Posting for a friend since I know diddly about Shimano and can't help him.

On his right Ultegra (not sure which model, I think the version corresponding to Dura Ace 9000) shifter, the brake and shifter arms are not aligned. From the photo he shared, it seems that the shifter (inner) arm is tilted slightly inward (toward the stem). He recently broke his shifter cable and believed that replacing it (and the cable housing) would correct the problem but it has not. I don't think he also replaced the brake cable and housing.

Any guidance to offer? Diagnosis tips? It's a minor problem but he's unable to take it to a shop due to lockdown and would like to correct it if he can.

Thanks

tctyres
04-16-2020, 01:03 PM
It sounds like the shifter paddle is bent forward. That can happen if he crashed or dropped the bike. This happened to me once. I gently bent the inner lever back.

If it is related to the broken cable, then that means there is a part of the broken cable in the shifter. Cables often break in the Shimano shifter mechanism. The broken end can be an absolute bear to get out. If this is it, then you'll need a fine pair of needlenose pliers. You might want to take the shifter off the bike and take the hood off. You might need to rotate the mechanism to get the piece free: shake + gravity. Do your best to take as little apart on the shifter as possible as the Shimano brifters aren't designed to be taken apart.

So, I would check to be sure it's not bent, and after that start the hard process of finding the bit in the shifter.

The shifter cables break in the brifter because there is overshift on the final cog on the cassette. You'll want to check his limit screw back there once you get the brifter sorted.

shoota
04-16-2020, 01:05 PM
Posting for a friend since I know diddly about Shimano and can't help him.

On his right Ultegra (not sure which model, I think the version corresponding to Dura Ace 9000) shifter, the brake and shifter arms are not aligned. From the photo he shared, it seems that the shifter (inner) arm is tilted slightly inward (toward the stem). He recently broke his shifter cable and believed that replacing it (and the cable housing) would correct the problem but it has not. I don't think he also replaced the brake cable and housing.

Any guidance to offer? Diagnosis tips? It's a minor problem but he's unable to take it to a shop due to lockdown and would like to correct it if he can.

Thanks

Mine have always been that way. Pretty sure it's normal.