PDA

View Full Version : Damaged ENVE rim - what to do with it?

cribbit
04-16-2020, 10:38 AM
https://i.imgur.com/6PNOH7B.png

Got a pair of ENVE wheels, front is good, rear is like that.

What can be done with a rim like this?

mistermo
04-16-2020, 10:40 AM
?contact enve is a good start. I took a damage rim and hung it from the tree. My daughter practiced her archery shooting arrows through the hoop. That could be backup plan.

AngryScientist
04-16-2020, 10:43 AM
https://i.imgur.com/sVwA4xI.jpg

Blue Jays
04-16-2020, 10:43 AM
Perhaps they have a crash replacement lower-cost deal?

Coffee Rider
04-16-2020, 11:09 AM
You need to have a receipt for Enve to help you.

ahsere
04-16-2020, 11:54 AM
Yep, unless you have the receipt, it has "quarantine art project" written all over it.

adrien
04-16-2020, 12:05 PM
How'd it happen?

Enve have been great with warrantee issues and crash replacements in my experience. It helps if you got them from a local shop that will advocate for you.

sonicCows
04-16-2020, 12:41 PM
You can get carbon fiber and epoxy kits on eBay. Just patch it up :cool:

cgolvin
04-16-2020, 12:43 PM
I use my cracked Bora rim for stretching tubulars.
But now I'm thinking about making a hanger out of it…

Blue Jays
04-16-2020, 12:47 PM
There are some bicycle parts repairs that I would never, never, never trust. Like most rims, for example.
This may fall under the bicycle stuff breaks, buy new umbrella.
I occasionally even replace stems and saddles because they have "enough mileage" in my estimation.

cribbit
04-16-2020, 01:17 PM
I got this secondhand, condition as currently seen. Seller had described it as "minor delamination" that they had ridden for years as-is until a spoke broke.

Oh, and the freehub fell out in shipping...

https://i.imgur.com/mJFZzzy.png

Still deciding whether or not to go pressure the seller for anything back on this. However, I already got a pretty low price on it. $155 for the pair all in.

pdonk
04-16-2020, 01:22 PM
Save it and trade it in next time enve does a wheel deal.

charliedid
04-16-2020, 01:23 PM
Infect it with Covid-19 and send it back to the seller.

Blue Jays
04-16-2020, 01:23 PM
This thread is BLINKING for me. Must be a big mid-April sale! :banana:

jb_11
04-16-2020, 02:08 PM
Melted by car exhaust when hung from a hitch mount carrier, perhaps?

Matthew
04-16-2020, 03:13 PM
Can't believe any decent human being would sell that and be comfortable doing so.

djg21
04-16-2020, 03:18 PM
You can get carbon fiber and epoxy kits on eBay. Just patch it up :cool:

Duct tape.

Spdntrxi
04-16-2020, 03:27 PM
Save it and trade it in next time enve does a wheel deal.

even then they dont take FUBAR... it's needs to be in ridable condition.

bianchi10
04-16-2020, 03:27 PM
Where did you purchase these from? If Ebay, you can claim that and send it back. If that's the condition they showed up in, they were either severely damaged in shipping or the guy straight out lied. I'd assume that the seller straight up lied here.

mhespenheide
04-16-2020, 03:34 PM
I would absolutely dispute that with a seller. There's no way that that can be described as "minor delamination".

Dino Suegiù
04-16-2020, 04:06 PM
I got this secondhand, condition as currently seen. Seller had described it as "minor delamination" that they had ridden for years as-is until a spoke broke.

Still deciding whether or not to go pressure the seller for anything back on this. However, I already got a pretty low price on it. $155 for the pair all in.Can't believe any decent human being would sell that and be comfortable doing so.

Where did you purchase these from? If Ebay, you can claim that and send it back. If that's the condition they showed up in, they were either severely damaged in shipping or the guy straight out lied. I'd assume that the seller straight up lied here.

I would absolutely dispute that with a seller. There's no way that that can be described as "minor delamination".

If the eBay sold listing I found just now is the one for this sale, the seller's description tells a vastly different story, and not at all deserving of the assumptions cited above.

The word "minor" was never used in the item description, in reference to any condition. In fact, that seller made it abundantly clear that the sale was not for the rims at all, and that the inclusion of the damaged rims in the shipment would be entirely the buyer's choice.

I am all for the buyer protection on eBay, but I think that in this case I would actually side with the seller.

Again, all this obtains IF the eBay listing is the one for the op's acquisition. But, the model/description/price/date all seem to match up with the wheels in question. However, if that listing is not the correct one, then my apologies in advance.

Spdntrxi
04-16-2020, 04:11 PM
If the eBay sold listing I found just now is the one for this sale, the seller's description tells a vastly different story, and not at all deserving of the assumptions cited above.

The word "minor" was never used in the item description, in reference to any condition. In fact, that seller made it abundantly clear that the sale was not for the rims at all, and that the inclusion of the damaged rims in the shipment would be entirely the buyer's choice.

I am all for the buyer protection on eBay, but I think that in this case I would actually side with the seller.

Again, all this obtains IF the eBay listing is the one for the op's acquisition. But, the model/description/price/date all seem to match up with the wheels in question. However, if that listing is not the correct one, then my apologies in advance.

Pretty sure you are right Dino... op does not deserve any special treatment from Enve either.. if op goes that route truly hope they tell him to pound sand.(which they will sans receipt)
Op got a good price on hubs

clothes hangers... and move on.

jb_11
04-16-2020, 04:40 PM
Agree with Dino. If these are the ebay listing, the seller was pretty clear on the condition. You could possibly request something for the missing freehub, but honestly it looks pretty roasted in the photo anyway. If the star ratchet and spring are missing that's all I see worth questioning about. He may be able to file a shipping claim to recover that loss.

echappist
04-16-2020, 05:21 PM

Nice detective work

Presumably, this is the original listing (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dt-Swiss-240-Hub-front-amp-back-28-hole-rotors-free-29-ENVE-xc-wheels-w-purchase-/223941494150?hash=item3423f40586%3Ag%3AHzIAAOSw2lR eZqVH&nma=true&si=%252BA7EIoW0iaueEmkJMciXOmUYHJ0%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557)?

charliedid
04-16-2020, 05:26 PM
Nice detective work

Presumably, this is the original listing (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dt-Swiss-240-Hub-front-amp-back-28-hole-rotors-free-29-ENVE-xc-wheels-w-purchase-/223941494150?hash=item3423f40586%3Ag%3AHzIAAOSw2lR eZqVH&nma=true&si=%252BA7EIoW0iaueEmkJMciXOmUYHJ0%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557)?

If that's it and it seems like it is I take back what I said. OP bought a set of hubs and knew it.

Clear as day.

peanutgallery
04-17-2020, 06:30 AM
Set if hubs and a rim for $155

Not too bad

If that's it and it seems like it is I take back what I said. OP bought a set of hubs and knew it.

Clear as day.

R3awak3n
04-17-2020, 06:41 AM
The only thing that is bad is that the fhb fell out... that you should be compensated for but the rest, those wheels are toasted and you can see it on the picture in the listing and on the description.

As far as enve goes, they will definitely not help. If you are not the OG owner they will not want to speak with you.

I cooked a rim a few years ago, it was second hand. Messaged enve and they did not care. Its fine, I get it I am not the OG owner and have no warranty here but it left me with a bad taste in my mouth how the whole thing went just. I think they would have been better off handling it a different way, sure I am not the OG dude but maybe offer a discount or maybe even just be a bit more concerned that your rim delaminated because of braking going down hill. I bet if they sold me a new rim at 50% off they still make money and if not they probably would get me to be a happy customer and I would maybe buy some enve crap in the future. (recently I had to deal with Chris King as a second hand product owner and they were spectacular, I have become a big fan of CK, they will have my business as far as headsets and a few other things from now on).

I would probably not even message the seller back about the FWH but you are entitled to some compensation from that.

Also, what blows my mind is if this dude really has been ridding these wheels like this lol, well at least it was not the front wheel.

charliedid
04-17-2020, 07:07 AM
What a mess.

Freehub fell out as in fell out of the box or...

As most people know the serviceability (no tools) of DT is a selling point!

I feel bad for OP either way.

echappist
04-19-2020, 11:55 AM
So the OP has definitely logged in the past few days and didnt address any of the issues raised. Hmm...

dave thompson
04-19-2020, 12:15 PM
The way I read the OPs question: what can I do with the rim? Repair it or make it into an ornament? He didn’t say anything about how he felt about the sale, the seller or that he wanted some sort of resolution to a problem. “We” injected that into the conversation.

Monsieur Toast
04-19-2020, 12:26 PM
The way I read the OPs question: what can I do with the rim? Repair it or make it into an ornament? He didn’t say anything about how he felt about the sale, the seller or that he wanted some sort of resolution to a problem. “We” injected that into the conversation.

Actually ...

Still deciding whether or not to go pressure the seller for anything back on this. However, I already got a pretty low price on it. $155 for the pair all in.

echappist
04-19-2020, 12:49 PM
Actually ...

retracted

cribbit
04-19-2020, 01:10 PM
And I have a suspicion that $155 already represents a discounted price. Final bid was $111. Ebay quoted a shipping price of ~$65 to Santa Monica (and more to NYC).

There are certainly a lot of relevant details left out by the OP. Never a good look to represent something one way, only to be shown to be not wholly forthright.

There's also a relevant photo left out in that quote. I was talking specifically about the missing freehub (though I see how my wording was easily misread). And for reference, I sent the seller my own shipping label, giving me cheaper shipping.

I'm well aware the rim is what the rim is, and that's how I ordered it. I started this thread to ask about what I can do with it now that I have it.

However, losing the freehub, ratchets and end cap on a deal to buy hubs is kiiiinda sucky.

echappist
04-19-2020, 01:24 PM
There's also a relevant photo left out in that quote. I was talking specifically about the missing freehub (though I see how my wording was easily misread). And for reference, I sent the seller my own shipping label, giving me cheaper shipping.

I'm well aware the rim is what the rim is, and that's how I ordered it. I started this thread to ask about what I can do with it now that I have it.

However, losing the freehub, ratchets and end cap on a deal to buy hubs is kiiiinda sucky.

In which case, I retract my last post. You deserve to be compensated for the missing freehub parts.

charliedid
04-19-2020, 01:27 PM
In which case, I retract my last post. You deserve to be compensated for the missing freehub parts.

I agree

cribbit
04-19-2020, 01:32 PM
Thanks.

The hard part for me is that 1) I already got a good price and 2) the seller wants me to go thru fedex insurance first. However, I know fedex will be slow and take a while, and he really should've packed this better.

Probably going to wait a little just in case fedex pulls thru then open a case. It's hard to know how much to even ask in compensation - what does a used freehub, ratchets and endcap go for?

eBAUMANN
04-19-2020, 01:46 PM
ooof, i remember seeing those on ebay...
that rim is TOAST

not original owner?
ENVE wont do JACK SH*T for you

hula hoop, coat hanger, archery target...all good options :hello: