PDA

View Full Version : TdF new start date

SoCal Al
04-16-2020, 10:30 AM
OK, I get the fact they needed to save the race and given the "all clear for public assembly" won't be until mid-July it makes sense to schedule a July 29 start date but... seems to me the other 2 Grand Tours got short shrift with "dates to be scheduled after the TdF and Worlds".

If I ran the zoo, here's what I'd do to create a one-time event (apologies to Dr. Seuss and the reality of scheduling cycling races into November):

- Create a "Super Tour Series" of 3 back-to-back-to-back events. Essentially a tour of Europe and the individual towns the races would have passed through are preserved.
- Each race-within the Series would be 3 weeks in length with no course overlaps (I haven't analyzed the courses so this is just conjecture) for a total of 9 weeks racing.
- Each of the 3 Grand Tour races would have declared winners as normal but with modified bonuses and prizes based on the shortened races.
- The Series would have a declared overall winner based an Individual rider completing all 3 events.
- The Series Champion would win $5M.
- A "pot" of undetermined amount for the Overall Team scaling down to those that complete the Series which would be based on some other factor (I don't know, my coffee hasn't kicked in yet).
- TV ads would underwrite all (think of the scads of $$ spent on footie, Olympics, etc. that have been sidelined just waiting to be put to good use!)
- The Worlds would close out the season (yes I know they're in Switzerland so maybe they get moved to a warmer clime & the Swiss get a mulligan).

Anyway, that's my little fantasy rant.

jlwdm
04-16-2020, 10:48 AM
OK, I get the fact they needed to save the race and given the "all clear for public assembly" won't be until mid-July it makes sense to schedule a July 29 start date but... seems to me the other 2 Grand Tours got short shrift with "dates to be scheduled after the TdF and Worlds".

That was an easy decision as the TDF is so much bigger and important than the other two tours.

Jeff

pbarry
04-16-2020, 11:21 AM
;) :hello:

FlashUNC
04-16-2020, 11:44 AM
So we get to pretend for another couple months these races will happen.

The tour ain't happening.

SoCalSteve
04-16-2020, 11:48 AM
So we get to pretend for another couple months these races will happen.

I totally believe this. Until there is a vaccine, events of this nature will be cancelled.

Matthew
04-16-2020, 11:57 AM
I'll be surprised any sporting events take place this year. Even with no fans. This sh/t just isn't going away. Can't see life being "normal" for a long time. Hope I'm wrong.

Skenry
04-16-2020, 01:21 PM

You gotta plan it. The PGA is started to reschedule events in midJune at Colonial. It'll probably end up being fanless, but I don't watch golf or the Tour in person anyway.

Cities, yes they got the coronashaft, but for most of the world landmass, we are talking tenth of percentage. Plus athletes are in a pretty low risk group.

FlashUNC
04-16-2020, 01:36 PM
You gotta plan it. The PGA is started to reschedule events in midJune at Colonial. It'll probably end up being fanless, but I don't watch golf or the Tour in person anyway.

Cities, yes they got the coronashaft, but for most of the world landmass, we are talking tenth of percentage. Plus athletes are in a pretty low risk group.

A traveling carnival that brings fans, racers and staff from all over the world to waddle around France for almost a month seems like the height of absurdity right now. Especially when that traveling carnival descends on rural towns that would be unable to keep up with a widespread virus outbreak.

Even a fanless Tour would still involved hundreds of personnel in this traveling carnival gallivanting around France for a month.

It's a horrid idea and both the ASO and UCI should be ashamed for pretending this thing is actually going to happen.

cmg
04-16-2020, 01:41 PM
from the tour's page https://www.letour.fr/en/news/2020/tour-de-france-2020-29th-august-29th-to-20th-september/1283443

April 15 th 2020 - 13:00

Following the President’s address on Monday evening, where large-scale events were banned in France until mid-July as a part of the fight against the spread of COVID-19, the organisers of the Tour de France, in agreement with the Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI), have decided to postpone the Tour de France to Saturday 29th August to Sunday 20th September 2020.

I think it's optimistic at best. Not enough time for the tourists to make it.

SoCalSteve
04-16-2020, 03:23 PM
from the tour's page https://www.letour.fr/en/news/2020/tour-de-france-2020-29th-august-29th-to-20th-september/1283443

April 15 th 2020 - 13:00

Following the President’s address on Monday evening, where large-scale events were banned in France until mid-July as a part of the fight against the spread of COVID-19, the organisers of the Tour de France, in agreement with the Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI), have decided to postpone the Tour de France to Saturday 29th August to Sunday 20th September 2020.

I think it's optimistic at best. Not enough time for the tourists to make it.

Good! Need more social distancing, not large crowds of people bunched up together all over France and then traveling back to their respective countries.

Vientomas
04-16-2020, 03:42 PM
Just cancel it already. My money says it ain't gonna happen this year. Maybe the sponsors need a reason not to abandon the sport and the hope of a Tour this year keeps 'em hanging on. Probably not going to be pleased when it gets cancelled after all. Just my two cents.

AngryScientist
04-16-2020, 03:50 PM
i cant imagine any of the riders want it to go off this year.

i know from experience that if you are going to train for something major, you want to be able to focus all of your training and mental power on the event.

this current state of complete uncertainty, limited outdoor training ability and general air of gloom over the world is completely wrecking any real pro tour mojo IMO. add in that some of the pros from italy and other hard hit countries may be dealing with family/friend loss or sickness. i would not be mentally checked-in if i were a pro tour hopeful.

now, it's also their day job, and i dont know how cancellation of major tour events effects the pros contracts, pay, etc - so i cant opine on that facet of it.

djg21
04-16-2020, 03:59 PM
I'll be surprised any sporting events take place this year. Even with no fans. This sh/t just isn't going away. Can't see life being "normal" for a long time. Hope I'm wrong.

I’m thinking Fall of 2001 at the very earliest.

Blue Jays
04-16-2020, 04:03 PM
"...I’m thinking Fall of 2001 at the very earliest..."No way that is going to happen!

:banana:

AngryScientist
04-16-2020, 04:05 PM
I'm confident we'll be good for the Spring classics next year.

djg21
04-16-2020, 04:05 PM
Typo. Can’t type on iPhone. Fall of 2021.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peanutgallery
04-16-2020, 04:06 PM
Time machines are so lit right now:)

I’m thinking Fall of 2001 at the very earliest.

djg21
04-16-2020, 04:08 PM
Time machines are so lit right now:)

So I was off by a couple of Decades.