PDA

View Full Version : Pretty cool video...transforming old steel frame

Kingfisher
04-16-2020, 10:11 AM
All of us old school guys will enjoy this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ2YlE2wx4o

redir
04-16-2020, 03:24 PM
I'm pretty sure I would have to cold set my old Guerciotti to fit modern gears. But I guess he's talking not so much about upgrading an actual classic but building a modern one?

HTupolev
04-16-2020, 04:06 PM
He's not talking about building an old frame, he's talking about building up a retro frame. Not that it necessarily makes a big difference, lots of old steel frames are easy to mount modern components onto.

johnniecakes
04-16-2020, 04:09 PM
Beautiful bikes but if I were having built I would want a threadless headset even if it is 1inch. Just don't enjoy fiddling with 2 wrenches and tyring to adjust the pre load on threaded head sets anymore.

jamesdak
04-16-2020, 05:07 PM
Beautiful bikes but if I were having built I would want a threadless headset even if it is 1inch. Just don't enjoy fiddling with 2 wrenches and tyring to adjust the pre load on threaded head sets anymore.

Maybe it's a lost art now days but I find it pretty dang simple to do. Just have to pay attention as you tighten the locknut.

colker
04-16-2020, 06:28 PM
Maybe it's a lost art now days but I find it pretty dang simple to do. Just have to pay attention as you tighten the locknut.

I find it simple and sweet to work on threaded set ups. 150grs heavier but easier to dial your fit than threadless set ups: quill stems can/ could be found in 0.5cm increments.

Spaghetti Legs
04-16-2020, 06:39 PM
That’s a modern built Battaglin frame. Gorgeous bike. There was a thread here last year when they were blowing them out for something like $1100.

Regarding quill stems/threaded headsets, I definitely have an easier time installing those than threadless.

colker
04-16-2020, 09:00 PM
It reminded me of Borat .. but i love those Battaglin Maroscana.