PDA

View Full Version : Forgive me Tullio...

dookie
04-16-2020, 09:25 AM
For the record, I'm a Shimano hater from my industry days 30+ years ago, when they OEMed their way into market dominance. Sure, good business. Sure, their stuff worked better. I still bear a grudge. So, it was Campy and Suntour for me.

My stable still has an 8s Record bike (Scapin) and a 7s XC-Pro bike (Paramount), but when 10s came around...well, I strayed. I blame the weight-weenie in me, supported by a Kenda team racer friend who positively gushed about the Red on his new rig. Two of my three primary roadies at the time were built with Red (the other Record 10) and the new FS mtb got X01. Then I had a kid and stopped all non-maintenance bike-related buying.

Don't get me wrong, Red was fine. I never could quite get fluid with double-tap and got one the wrong way, or two the right way too often to admit. But the shifts were clean when I managed the levers properly, and the authoritative upshifts were satisfying. Flash forward a decade however, and one of my first isolation projects was to de-SRAM and properly Euro-fy my Time. Let's see what this Campy 11 is all about...

I picked up a Record 11A mini-group and am running it with the existing S-brand freehubbed wheels, so the chain is an XX1 and the cogs 1170 (like to find an 1190 at some point). In any case...wow. I'm seriously impressed with the fluidity and precision, and I'd forgotten how much I love the two-thumb mash when rolling into a climb. The front shifting is so much more crisp than the Red (cranks/rings are also unchanged, 10s Zipp), and the rear is pure butter. To make a musical analogy, Red strikes me as a heavy metal drummer (plenty precise, hardly subtle) and Record 11 perhaps a virtuoso pianist.

So, Tullio...please forgive fickle transgressions. I've returned to your fold and have seen the light. Molte grazie!

jamesdak
04-16-2020, 10:06 AM
Glad you have seen the light!

This is getting my first ever Super Record 11 speed setup when I get around to having it built.

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/170034410.jpg

I have Shimano on a lot of the bikes but I so like Campagnolo better for some reason. Have never touched SRAM but I do love me some Suntour!

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/167931190.jpg

old_fat_and_slow
04-16-2020, 10:09 AM
Welcome back prodigal sinning son. Now don't do it or again or you're gonna be in some serious doo doo.

jpritchet74
04-16-2020, 10:15 AM
It's good to have you back in the fold!

tv_vt
04-16-2020, 12:39 PM
That Superbe Pro crank - it hurts to look at it. So clean and elegant. Miss that gruppo. Was my fave back in the 80's. Their touring stuff was right up there, too, from mid-70's for about a decade.

One thing that shows how much stuff has changed is that the Superbe Pro rear derailleur could only handle up to a 24 tooth cog.

Sorry for the drift.

redir
04-16-2020, 12:50 PM
I don't ride my Record 8-speed a whole lot anymore but when I do I am always amazed at how precise the shifting is. After that when I ride Shimano shifting feels like a wet sponge. Both are perfectly fine imo though just different.

ultraman6970
04-16-2020, 02:58 PM
MY derosa professional with record C crankset which is the only different thing i have compared with all my other bikes that are 10 speed, is the most silent bike, and shift silently aswell. No idea why.

Wonder if the sealed bb has something to do with it but the thing works super silent... same with the triple record with a wolftooth chorus 10 drive train, silent and precise.

ps: i love those duel bikes, they look really nice.

Hindmost
04-16-2020, 03:05 PM
"...a Record 11A mini-group and am running it with the existing S-brand freehubbed wheels..."

You have a second sin to atone for, brother.

dddd
04-16-2020, 03:49 PM
That Superbe Pro crank - it hurts to look at it. So clean and elegant. Miss that gruppo. Was my fave back in the 80's. Their touring stuff was right up there, too, from mid-70's for about a decade.

One thing that shows how much stuff has changed is that the Superbe Pro rear derailleur could only handle up to a 24 tooth cog.

Sorry for the drift.

Older, friction Superbe takes 26t no problem on my '79 Fuji Pro.

I ran a Superbe Pro RD with indexed Command shift levers on my Specialized Epic, and used 53/42t chainrings with a 12-28t titanium cogset with that when I raced Cat's Hill. It worked so well that I later continued using it extensively on training rides up in the Santa Cruz Mountains.

The "big" cassette and my preferred wide touring rims were not in vogue at the time, but my how times have changed!

The Superbe Pro RD had a return spring at the mounting pivot, but which was not active once the wheel was installed (since the B-screw threaded directly into the upper knuckle instead of into a floating threaded plate that held the spring's tension). So these derailer's installation depended more critically on correct chain length to allow a 28t cog to work properly.

dookie
04-16-2020, 05:30 PM
"...a Record 11A mini-group and am running it with the existing S-brand freehubbed wheels..."

You have a second sin to atone for, brother.They're really nice wheels, and only the freehub body has anything to do with the letter S. I'm not up to committing yet another sin (against my wallet) to address...just yet.