Just saw this on Instagram

Keep an eye out.

www.instagram.com/giantsantamonica

HenryA
04-15-2020, 09:49 PM
Nice ladder.

jm714
04-15-2020, 10:04 PM
They did the same thing to Fullerton Bikes last year.

peanutgallery
04-15-2020, 10:21 PM
If I was to ever steal a bike, it wouldn't be a Giant

Meth really screws up priorities for some folks

eddief
04-15-2020, 11:09 PM
both made me shake my head...and laugh.

Tavarez
04-15-2020, 11:25 PM

Hahahaha

Louis
04-15-2020, 11:56 PM
Not that I would ever do such a thing, but just for kicks, let's assume I wanted to rob a store so I could resell whatever I pilfered for some quick cash. I don't know about you guys, but bikes would be way, way down on my list of things I'd take. Unless they were practically handing them out for free at the back door, there are so many issues with bikes - 1) not that great resale value to begin with, let alone when they're hot, 2) cumbersome to transport or otherwise offer for sale to the intended market, 3) nearly impossible to hide, unless your hideout is in some abandoned warehouse. The issues go on and on.

Now, toilet paper, disinfecting wipes, or Purell, that's what I'd go for. You can make a killing with that.

One of these normally goes for about $20, but I bet you could get $100 easy on the black market:

https://dqzrr9k4bjpzk.cloudfront.net/images/5837284/247889530.jpg

Hank Scorpio
04-15-2020, 11:57 PM
They left the Wegner chair, must be a repop.

merckxman
04-16-2020, 05:44 AM
Must have been a shock to walk into that upon opening the store.

Spaghetti Legs
04-16-2020, 08:00 AM
Nice ladder.

My 12 foot multimatic is heavy as all get out. I can only imagine lugging that one onto a roof.

Velocipede
04-16-2020, 08:59 AM
I'm sorry, but something seems off. Most security systems have a motion sensor facing inside the store. Why wasn't there one here? To pull 7 bikes out thru a skylight would take a while too. Did they leave thru the doors? That would make more sense. And they picked high-end lightweight road bikes. That sounds like they knew what they were looking for.

Veloo
04-16-2020, 09:06 AM
Why only post this on an Instagram account that is private? I don't see them mentioning it on a Facebook account.

Quick search didn't turn up any news on the web.

jim d
04-16-2020, 09:16 AM
It's a good thing Trudy is on the case.....

In all seriousness, I hope they get this figured out.

denapista
04-16-2020, 09:58 AM
Why only post this on an Instagram account that is private? I don't see them mentioning it on a Facebook account.

Quick search didn't turn up any news on the web.

I'm seeing a number of "Break ins" in LA right now. I'm also hearing insurance companies are lenient on claims... You do the math..

nalax
04-16-2020, 10:21 AM
They left the Wegner chair, must be a repop.
Probably too heavy to pull up the ladder..

mistermo
04-16-2020, 10:29 AM
This happened at a pharma warehouse in CT years ago. The thieves made off with $60MM of drugs. Lock your roofs, everyone!

"On the night of March 13, 2010, one of the thieves stashed a ladder in the rear parking lot of the warehouse. Later that night, after checking for security guards, the tractor-trailer pulled in and two of the burglars carried the ladder to the building. They climbed atop the warehouse and cut a hole in the roof. Using ropes, they lowered themselves into the facility and disabled the alarm system."

Pharma heist (https://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/pharmaceutical-theft)

cmg
04-16-2020, 02:49 PM
"Now, toilet paper, disinfecting wipes, or Purell, that's what I'd go for. You can make a killing with that."

a week ago a guy was selling toilet paper on the side of the road near where i live. $1 a roll. had the back of a pick up truck full.

on the Giant bikes theft. Maybe someone was trying to build a local team.

parris
04-16-2020, 03:05 PM
This reminds me of the time one of the shops I worked in got burgled. Ours was a much smaller haul for the thief's which made us think it was someone pretty young.

The way they got into our shop was to pry and remove the moulding around a window of a loading dock door instead of sailing the concrete block that we used as a door stop through the window. They then placed the window next to the door and went in through the back of the shop making their way to the front.

Here's where we were scratching our heads the next day while talking to the police. Whoever broke in walked past several road bikes including Serotta, Masi, etc, etc. and went behind the display counter where they pushed a Super Record group out of the way in order to get to some 600EX pieces.

What the best part was though was that my boss forgot to take the cash drawer out of the register the night before and there was better than $1500. in the damn thing literally open for the dumb crook to grab! Sometimes dumb luck doesn't cover it.

C40_guy
04-16-2020, 03:48 PM
Here's where we were scratching our heads the next day while talking to the police. Whoever broke in walked past several road bikes including Serotta, Masi, etc, etc. and went behind the display counter where they pushed a Super Record group out of the way in order to get to some 600EX pieces.

There's that Campy versus Shimano mindset again. :)

Maybe a considerate thief...only needed to update a couple of parts and took what he needed...

72gmc
04-16-2020, 03:49 PM
^^^ great story, parris. That 600EX group was too hot to buy legally ...

That list of stolen bikes looks like a pretty specific shopping spree.

parris
04-16-2020, 04:45 PM
72, a group we could have understood. The stuff stolen wa something like a rear mech and a set of calipers.

I'm remembering a funny part of the break in being that we were able to reinstall the window AND moulding without having to replace anything! We did add steel bars though.

ojingoh
04-16-2020, 05:03 PM
Covered in the French film noir classic Rififi: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rififi

pooneej
04-16-2020, 05:24 PM
Nice ladder.

Ironic thing is that looks like a 'little Giant ladder' !!

Peter P.
04-16-2020, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the link to the pharmaceutical heist story.