PDA

View Full Version : Need warm mitts!

oldguy00
04-15-2020, 08:41 AM
So spring is arriving and I'm hoping to get out for some rides. But I always have the same issue, frozen fingers (and toes...). I tend to get reynauds, so even if the outdoor temps are like 10C, the wind chill from riding will freeze my fingers, even if I have full finger gloves on.
I'm looking for suggestions of a mitt style glove that is super warm, that would allow me to wrap my fingers inside it around a charcoal warmer.
I see lots of lobster gloves, but the finger separation in those i think would still be an issue...

And any tips for keeping toes warm, beyond the usual large neoprene covers?

Thanks!!

madsciencenow
04-15-2020, 09:09 AM
For toes I’ve layered toe covers plus over socks plus multiple zippered covers. Starting with wool socks is also a plus. The fleece lined gore or enduro covers have worked best for me over all the stuff I just mentioned for me feet.

For my hands in temps below 35 F I use the Assos winter gloves. Above 35 I have some Castelli Spettacolo gloves that work fine up to 42 F (they can go cooler if needed (maybe as low as 30 F for me). In warmer temps up to about 55 I have a range of lighter weight gloves I layer or wear alone. If it’s 55-60 and I think I need full-finger gloves I usually just wear MTB gloves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charliedid
04-15-2020, 09:51 AM
Sorry for your troubles.

Have you considered bar mitts? I can point you to mittens that are super warm but don't allow for much dexterity when cycling.

Drop bar or flat bar?

Veloo
04-15-2020, 10:18 AM
Winter cycling shoes for the toes and BarMitts for the fingers.

cetuximab
04-16-2020, 05:49 PM
Even with 45 Nrth Wolvhammer boots, I still get cold feet if I bike bike for more than 30 minutes. So, I use toe warmers. If you buy a 40 pack it is less than a dollar per pair.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007ZF4PE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The army surplus trigger finger gloves are ugly, but they work. When you need dexterity to brake or shift, you put your finger in the trigger finger. Otherwise you keep your fingers togeher and warm. Make sure you get the wool liners as well. On the sub zero mornings, you can put your thumb in with your fingers for afew minutes to get the blood flowing again. They are roomy enough you can put some hand warmers inside as well.
I rarely need to use the hand warmers.
https://www.amazon.com/Trigger-Finger-Mitten-Gloves-Liners/dp/B07M9LJ5C3/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=army+surplus+gloves&qid=1587077235&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-3

pooneej
04-16-2020, 05:54 PM
So spring is arriving and I'm hoping to get out for some rides. But I always have the same issue, frozen fingers (and toes...). I tend to get reynauds, so even if the outdoor temps are like 10C, the wind chill from riding will freeze my fingers, even if I have full finger gloves on.
I'm looking for suggestions of a mitt style glove that is super warm, that would allow me to wrap my fingers inside it around a charcoal warmer.
I see lots of lobster gloves, but the finger separation in those i think would still be an issue...

And any tips for keeping toes warm, beyond the usual large neoprene covers?

Thanks!!

I've also got reynauds so I would wear gloves/mittens when running outside if under 50F. Riding under 50F is total different. I'm going to try some snowboard mittens I used for running when it was 20F out. Problem with riding and mittens like those, I cant really take them on and off (gotta regulate bc if hands start sweating thats it - worse) easily at speed .

AngryScientist
04-16-2020, 05:58 PM
if we're talking spring riding and cold hands, the big culprit is wind from riding speeds. the best solution is not a lot of insulation, but effective wind blocking.

an out of the box solution that works for me is non bike specific gore windstopper gloves in this scenario.

if you really have cold hands, the next thing to look at is motorcycle gloves.

moto gloves are designed to keep your hands acceptably warm at 80mph highway speeds, and they'll definitely be effective at bicycle speeds.

thwart
04-16-2020, 06:59 PM
Remember... hands and feet can be thought of as radiators. Warm core... good blood flow to the hands and feet to get rid of some heat and maintain 98.6. Cold core... blood flow to hands and feet is decreased, again to try to maintain 98.6.

Decreased blood flow = colder hands, colder feet.

Any amount of dehydration will exacerbate this. As will caffeine, it has vasoconstrictive properties.

So make sure you're well hydrated to start your ride. Some coffee is probably OK, but a big dose of coffee pre-ride when it's cold outside... not a good idea.

Bundle up your core!

After you've covered these bases, focus on the brand and type of glove and footwear.

BobC
04-16-2020, 07:04 PM
I'd layer both shoes & feet

Feet: toe tips (neoprene) then shoe covers (something akin to Defeet shoecovers)

Hands: wool liner gloves & then wool outer layer gloves.

Hilltopperny
04-16-2020, 07:14 PM
Warmest gloves I have ever had are Giordana winter mittens. I don't remember the exact name of the model, but I don't even use mine unless the temps are well below freezing! Hands down the warmest gloves I have tried to date.

Gsinill
04-16-2020, 07:23 PM
+1 on the Bar Mitts.
Have them on my fat bike.
Did rides down to -10 without gloves and no problems.

Stan Lee
04-17-2020, 07:27 AM
BarMitts!.

mbrtool
04-17-2020, 07:29 AM
RBH Designs's mitts work for me.

Ray

oldguy00
04-17-2020, 07:35 AM
Thanks all for the suggestions, gonna shop around.
Yes, well hydrated and the rest of my body, torso, arms, legs, all warm. Just extremities I have issues with.
I'm sitting at my home desk wearing my Baffin Cush Base Camp sleeping bag slippers, so warm for my feet... :)

Veloo
04-17-2020, 08:03 AM
Be aware that BarMitts now has a model that gives access to both drops and hoods. Previous model only allowed hood access.

mdeth1313
04-17-2020, 08:08 AM
toe warmers in the shoe - on top of the foot/toes. Then use shoe covers (sometimes in layers) according to temps. I ride in temps to 1-2 degrees (F).

oldguy00
04-17-2020, 08:12 AM
Be aware that BarMitts now has a model that gives access to both drops and hoods. Previous model only allowed hood access.

Thanks, will check these out, but admit I think I'd be a bit nervous using them for quick handling etc? Also I'd be using them on a trek speed concept, so that complicates things a bit as hands sometimes on the base bars, and sometimes in the aero extensions.

cetuximab
04-19-2020, 10:19 PM
Remember... hands and feet can be thought of as radiators. Warm core... good blood flow to the hands and feet to get rid of some heat and maintain 98.6. Cold core... blood flow to hands and feet is decreased, again to try to maintain 98.6.

Decreased blood flow = colder hands, colder feet.

If you are driving somewhere to bike, this will not work.

But if you are leaving from home. Do 5-10 min on your trainer or a rowing machine. When you feel your core heat up and you start to perspirate, go outside and bike.