PDA

View Full Version : A bike shop that doesn't sell bikes

dbnm
04-14-2020, 04:12 PM
Are there any bike shops that sell everything but the actual bike?

p nut
04-14-2020, 04:31 PM
René Herse comes to mind. Why do you ask?

AngryScientist
04-14-2020, 04:34 PM
Not brick and mortar, but around here there are several mobile bike shops, operating out of vans that do only tune-up/repair. they'll sell you anything you want, but dont sell bikes....

dbnm
04-14-2020, 04:36 PM
Honestly, I been thinking about a place like that. A place that has some really nice items for sale. Everything but the bike.

jtbadge
04-14-2020, 05:06 PM
A friend of mine runs Road Crew, a coffee/bike shop in St. Louis that has a full mechanic service and parts on hand but doesn't stock any complete bikes.

Veloo
04-14-2020, 05:12 PM
There was one here in Toronto called Velotique. They didn't sell bikes, frames or components but sold almost everything else - clothes, kits, cages, bottles, helmets, shoes...

The owners sold the place and the new owner kept the same name and does sell bikes now on top of all the other stuff. Not much as far as groupset parts go but they do carry the odd thing.

I do support the shop and like both previous and current owners. Both were friendly and knowledgeable.

FriarQuade
04-14-2020, 05:27 PM
It's been the Harley Davidson business model for a while. Not sure if they're someone to follow though.

Cbh
04-14-2020, 05:54 PM
We have one here in the Dallas area called Lantini’s. Two top notch mechanics, some accessories and no bikes for sale.

one60
04-15-2020, 03:00 AM
Charles is an old school mechanic with crates of vntage Campy parts. The place has become part museum/part shrine over the past years. Lots of personal frames hanging about but no bikes for sale.

oldpotatoe
04-15-2020, 06:41 AM
Once upon a time, many moons ago, when I started Vecchio's, that's exactly what we were going to be. Repair only, the 'Hoshi Motors' of bikes. 5-6 car dealers in the republic and 35 or so car repair places(Hoshi Honda only-repair).

I came from another shop so had a 'following'..and one gent..wanted to buy his new bike from us..A Merlin(in 2001)..I said yes, got Merlin and the local re-seller to agree to let is sell one..(EXCel)..

AND then it just grew. I recognized that selling a new bike was one of the lowest margin things we could do..and only sold about 50 bikes that first year, but kept many customers coming back.
Even now, Jim only sells 2 brands, Moots and Waterford. Some minor stuff like Cleary(kids) and Linus but those numvbers are really small.

I STILL think a 'he's my wrench' type biz would work in Boulder w/o selling any complete bikes.

NYCfixie
04-15-2020, 06:58 AM
BikeWorks NYC (http://bikeworksnyc-www.bikecult.com/works/) which I frequented for years.

Officially they are a service only shop (originally in Manhattan but of course now in Brooklyn) and cater to messengers and delivery people.

But, they did offer "custom spec" fixed and single speed builds at one time if you wanted one.

trener1
04-15-2020, 08:18 AM
There was a shop down the block from me that did service and sold all types of accessories but not bikes.
So yes there you have it.

Velocipede
04-15-2020, 09:08 AM
I know of quite a few around the US. A friend of mine locally started out with an old convenience store(with bikes), grew that to another space cause business was good but did a 180 and is now only repairs. He got tired of all the stocking he had to do. He still offers completes if people want but he isn't stocking bikes.