PDA

View Full Version : What is the latest, RE: Chris King & 12sp

AngryScientist
04-14-2020, 03:52 PM
Last i heard you could not put a 12sp campy cassette on king hub? still true statement?

what about king shimano splined hubs? any 12sp compatibility there ?

FlashUNC
04-14-2020, 03:56 PM
AFAIK that's still correct unless they've put out a 12 speed King lockring for their Campy hubs.

jtbadge
04-14-2020, 04:03 PM
I wouldn't hold out for this to ever happen. They've been reducing SKUs across the board and it seems like they've made the decision to abandon the Campy market entirely.

AngryScientist
04-14-2020, 04:09 PM
interesting. i hope that's not the case.

i still dont have a visual understanding of what the problem is either.

why is it not possible to use an 11-sp CK lockring on a campy 12-sp cassette?

i'm daydreaming about a new go-fast 12 speed bike and would love to use some CK hubb'd wheels i've got.

Coffee Rider
04-14-2020, 04:12 PM
I'm hoping the new Shimano group will be 12 speed and not require a new freehub since that will help us move back to cross-compatibility for big S and C. Of course, it would also be really nice if they could work on 10 speed cassettes.

Blown Reek
04-14-2020, 04:27 PM
The issue with the 12-speed Campagnolo on King hubs is depending on which rim and spoke combination you use. If your specific setup has the cassette making contact with the spokes, then you have an issue. If you have space between the cassette and spokes, you're good to go. Oh, and a King Campagnolo lockring will work just fine.

AngryScientist
04-14-2020, 04:31 PM
The issue with the 12-speed Campagnolo on King hubs is depending on which rim and spoke combination you use. If your specific setup has the cassette making contact with the spokes, then you have an issue. If you have space between the cassette and spokes, you're good to go. Oh, and a King Campagnolo lockring will work just fine.

ahhh, i like this answer!

thanks BR

JAGI410
04-14-2020, 04:33 PM
I'm hoping the new Shimano group will be 12 speed and not require a new freehub.

12spd Shimano MTB groups have already proven that wrong. Microspline freehub required! It would be very un-shimano to not use microspline for newer stuff now.

Coffee Rider
04-14-2020, 04:37 PM
12spd Shimano MTB groups have already proven that wrong. Microspline freehub required! It would be very un-shimano to not use microspline for newer stuff now.

I'm trying to be optimistic. Other than something to kvetch about, the next generation of Shimano and the relevant freehubs will not have too much of an effect on my life.

oldpotatoe
04-15-2020, 07:19 AM
I wouldn't hold out for this to ever happen. They've been reducing SKUs across the board and it seems like they've made the decision to abandon the Campy market entirely.

I'm surprised that CK hasn't jumped into the 'wheelouttaboxes' market. Stand alone hubs, altho still pretty successful, are a consistently shrinking market.

BUT CK 'abandons' the Campag segment?..So what, many, many, many great hubsets out there w/o the unnecessary CK complexity, proprietary-ness and tool kit requirement.

Wonder if CK will ignore shimano 12s MTB also..

AngryScientist
04-15-2020, 07:21 AM
I'm surprised that CK hasn't jumped into the 'wheelouttaboxes' market. Stand alone hubs, altho still pretty successful, are a consistently shrinking market.

BUT CK 'abandons' the Campag segment?..So what, many, many, many great hubsets out there w/o the unnecessary CK complexity, proprietary-ness and tool kit requirement.

i came for the pink. i stayed for the buzzz

:banana:

November Dave
04-15-2020, 08:50 AM
jtbadge and Blown Reek have it more or less nailed. You can't now buy a Campy-drive hub from King, but your existing one might work depending on rim and spoke count. We had some customers with wheels that didn't like the transition to 12 speed cassettes, and others that had no problem.

King is reducing SKUs like mad. R45D now only comes in centerlock, and only 12mm front axle. Rear axles are down to 10x135 and 12x142.

They do support XD/XDR and MicroSpline drive types, and they offer a lot of prebuilt wheels, although no "system wheels" as such.

There are still lots of people whose hub wants/needs are covered by King, and plenty of other hub options out there for those either can or can't get what they want/need from King.

Mikej
04-15-2020, 08:54 AM
[QUOTE=Coffee Rider;2696910]I'm hoping the new Shimano group will be 12 speed and not require a new freehub since that will help us move back to cross-compatibility for big S and C. Of course, it would also be really nice if they could work on 10 speed cassettes.[
That’s a lot of compatibility