PDA

View Full Version : Lifespan of bib shorts

gasman
04-14-2020, 01:48 PM
Since the weather has been nice I've been getting out more in the last few weeks. I seem to be battling a recurrent saddle sore. I always remove my clothing when I get home and either shower or just pull on a pair of pants-commando style. Everything is washed on warm, gentle and dried on low or hung dry. A buddy said my shorts are too old-I know some of them are 10 years old but there is no "see through" sections and the pads seem fine when I feel them. He says that he keeps his shorts only 5 years which seems that it could be expensive to replace them that often.
What do others do ? How long do you keep a pair of shorts ?

Ozz
04-14-2020, 01:51 PM
I have several pairs that 10+ yrs old....

I probably don't ride as much as many though.....I replace when elastic goes, or they get see thru. Better quality lasts longer....

Similar to you....warm wash, hang dry

steelbikerider
04-14-2020, 01:59 PM
I but mostly mid price bibs - $100 - $150 on sale. They seem to last 3-5 years. Bib season here goes from March to Mid-november so they get worn 30 - 40 times/year, washed in cold water and hung dry. I usually have a couple of pair that are too thin/faded to wear but have good compression so they get relegated to home trainer or worn under tights. I ride 4-5 times/week and about 6000 miles/year.

Check your saddle. I let one go for too long and its shape changed causing problems.

Andy sti
04-14-2020, 02:00 PM
Could be a fit issue. Is your seat too high?

Blue Jays
04-14-2020, 02:03 PM
Wash warm protected in a mesh garment bag. Hung to dry.
Multiple bibs in simultaneous rotation to allow "rest" for fabric.
Use until thin and then become indoor trainer garments for basement.

FlashUNC
04-14-2020, 02:05 PM
What about your saddle? It finally given up the ghost?

Generally any gooch I've had are generally down to fit and saddle position, not the shorts.

But yes, toss the shorts when they're see through. No one wants to see that.

AngryScientist
04-14-2020, 02:08 PM
could just be the ramp up in riding. your butt may need to break in again after a season of less riding.

that said, one of the primary functions of chamois is to wick moisture away from the skin, and i can see that a degraded material pad, from use and continued washing may effect the fibers to the point where they are not as efficient at wicking moisture.

i dont think there is a good rule of thumb number as far as years go, but i can definitely tell when a pair of bibs is ready to be retired based on the feel of the pad.

HenryA
04-14-2020, 02:21 PM
Since the weather has been nice I've been getting out more in the last few weeks. I seem to be battling a recurrent saddle sore. I always remove my clothing when I get home and either shower or just pull on a pair of pants-commando style. Everything is washed on warm, gentle and dried on low or hung dry. A buddy said my shorts are too old-I know some of them are 10 years old but there is no "see through" sections and the pads seem fine when I feel them. He says that he keeps his shorts only 5 years which seems that it could be expensive to replace them that often.

I had this last summer, just kept clean, used bag balm pre-ride and it got better. It was aggravating though. I don't think its a shorts issue unless they are loose and don't fit well any longer.

kramnnim
04-14-2020, 02:54 PM
Is it a chafe type sore, or an infected pore/zit type sore?

kytyree
04-14-2020, 04:39 PM
Some do last a long long time, but as far as pushing a pair of bibs toward indoor use only or eventual full retirement I go by pad condition or when they become overly revealing, eeek

gasman
04-14-2020, 05:52 PM
I never wear shorts that are the least revealing -I would never do that to my friends. The irritation seems to be chafing and mainly on the left cheek, same side that I had an issue a couple years ago. My saddle-spesh power seems in good shape. I’ve had a couple fits over the years and I just put on a shorter stem which should have helped. I do think my left leg is a few mm shorter than my right so maybe I’ll lower the saddle slightly .
Thanks for the replies.

fa63
04-14-2020, 05:58 PM

I seem to wear through mine in about a year, but in my case, it is not the chamois but the fabric (it becomes see-through). These are for the Rapha Core bibs. I love their comfort so I don't mind shelling out $100 once a year for them :) But I have also been thinking about giving Assos a try since those seem to last forever.

CNY rider
04-14-2020, 06:33 PM
I seem to wear through mine in about a year, but in my case, it is not the chamois but the fabric (it becomes see-through). These are for the Rapha Core bibs. I love their comfort so I don't mind shelling out $100 once a year for them :) But I have also been thinking about giving Assos a try since those seem to last forever.

So do you buy one pair and ride them intensively?
I have a rotation, typically 4 pairs of "good" bibs and they last several years.
When they get tired they go into commuter rotation, usually last another year in that role and then they are done.

fa63
04-14-2020, 07:00 PM
So do you buy one pair and ride them intensively?

I have a rotation, typically 4 pairs of "good" bibs and they last several years.

When they get tired they go into commuter rotation, usually last another year in that role and then they are done.Pretty much. In the summer I wear them exclusively. In the spring/autumn, I wear them most of the time with leg/knee warmers (every now and then, I wear my LG knickers on shorter rides as they are not as comfy). I even wear them in the winter sometimes when it is not super cold. So yeah, I would say I wear them all the time at least 10 months out of the year.

sparky33
04-14-2020, 07:31 PM
The premium bib shorts wear better in my experience.

I have 4 Q365 bibs in rotation, each with maybe 3-4000 miles. Looking pretty good. Probably I will start looking for deals on new Q365 bibs at ~5000 miles. I have no intention of pushing to thread-bare or tatty.