PDA

View Full Version : Cycling is the most beautiful sport

bicycletricycle
04-14-2020, 10:58 AM
While watching that Movistar doc. I kept thinking about how beautiful cycling is. I know this isn't really something that is possible to measure and on top of that I am obviously biased. What do you think the most beautiful part of cycling is?

Some of my favorite parts-
1. Amazing scenery
2. Extreme physical/mental achievement
3. Sacrifice for the good of the team
4. An unexpected victory for a lesser known rider.

Matthew
04-14-2020, 11:18 AM
All of those. And a beautifully crafted handmade bike whether it's steel, ti, or carbon. I love lugs even though they may be a bit antiquated by today's standards. And the beauty of the components like cranks and rear derailleurs. And a classic panel paint job. Everything about cycling is beautiful.

cmg
04-14-2020, 12:37 PM
for me it's the 1. Amazing scenery and i'm definitely a fan of the lone breakaway. Always there's hope that they'll get away.

Skenry
04-14-2020, 02:54 PM
I'm going to go for women's pro beach volleyball and then LPGA.
Then followed by pro tour cycling for some different scenery.

dieonthishill
04-14-2020, 02:56 PM

Wow. A little on the nose...

Toeclips
04-14-2020, 03:17 PM
What got me into cycling were black and white photos

Now I'm mesmerized by the peloton snaking through round abouts... helicopter view is the best

kytyree
04-14-2020, 04:36 PM
I definitely have missed the Spring Classics this year, all of the scenery and some of my favorite races are the perfect way to get the year started and get me back out on the road to enjoy one of the prettiest times of the year. And I enjoy riding in the cooler spring, even with rain, more than I do burning up in the summer time.

thunderworks
04-14-2020, 04:47 PM
I really like both the extremely obvious display of raw power, strength, skill, and endurance that pro riders display, but I also like and appreciate the subtle nuance that success in the peleton requires. The strongest rider usually cannot win without team tactics, but yet . . . sometimes he does. I particularly like the one day Spring Classics because an individual's performance can carry any given day. I love the Grand Tours because of the interplay between individual talent, tactics, and sometimes, simple luck.

charliedid
04-14-2020, 06:13 PM
While watching that Movistar doc. I kept thinking about how beautiful cycling is. I know this isn't really something that is possible to measure and on top of that I am obviously biased. What do you think the most beautiful part of cycling is?

Some of my favorite parts-
1. Amazing scenery
2. Extreme physical/mental achievement
3. Sacrifice for the good of the team
4. An unexpected victory for a lesser known rider.

I like your list.

charliedid
04-14-2020, 06:14 PM

Cut to commercial!

Tickdoc
04-14-2020, 06:20 PM
Yep. Love the classics and especially the giro for the racing, but the tour is all about the views and history for me. I never know the players that well. I usually find someone I learn about each year to follow but I don’t track who is who and who rides for which team, but I sure like to watch the races.