PDA

View Full Version : Ornot Mission Shorts - anyone own?

zambenini
04-14-2020, 07:23 AM
Yo! I am considering a pair of Ornot Mission shorts. Will be used occasionally for riding and maybe a S24o with my son but mostly for basic summer adventuring, camping, coffee outside, etc. Other makers (Mission Workshop, SAS) are too expensive, my cheaper Prana shorts aren't getting the job done. These seem just right, albeit more than I am accustomed to spending on shorts.

Anyone own? Can you give feedback on size? I have heard people online saying they run big, but then their website and a lot of reviews say they run small. Ornot told me to measure a pair of shorts I like and compare that to the actual measurement the Ornot shorts, but that has me going up like two or more sizes, e.g. my Pata board shorts are nominally a size "32", but their measurement would be like a 34 or 35 in the Ornot shorts.

Anyone have?

Thx in advance,
JZ

charliedid
04-14-2020, 07:54 AM
I don't own any but 4 way stretch shorts always seem a size bigger after wearing them. Unless you only wash em and wear em one time I'd buy your normal size and a size up and return what doesn't work. I also wouldn't measure board shorts as a comparison. Curious what the Prana shorts aren't doing for you? :-) Which ones?

Also what's a S24o?

zambenini
04-14-2020, 08:25 AM
I don't own any but 4 way stretch shorts always seem a size bigger after wearing them. Unless you only wash em and wear em one time I'd buy your normal size and a size up and return what doesn't work. I also wouldn't measure board shorts as a comparison. Curious what the Prana shorts aren't doing for you? :-) Which ones?

Also what's a S24o?Sub 24 hour overnight. :) Riding the baby trailer to a stealth campsite with a toddler and them not sleeping in my case, haha.

I have regretted almost every Prana purchase, actually. They haven't held up as much as other similar price point garments and they have managed to retain a smell in ways even Patagonia non cotton stuff hasn't managed to (and no matter what Pata says or does their Cap stuff still builds up a funk imo). But that's another story!

On topic, I want to dip my toe in the made in US price point right above Pata and Prana and see if the quality is worth it. It has been with bib shorts I have tried so far. Cheaper in the long run to have and use and keep than to have and use for a season and a half.

Also, that does indeed seem true of other 4way stretch garments I have.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

charliedid
04-14-2020, 08:52 AM
Sub 24 hour overnight. :) Riding the baby trailer to a stealth campsite with a toddler and them not sleeping in my case, haha.

I have regretted almost every Prana purchase, actually. They haven't held up as much as other similar price point garments and they have managed to retain a smell in ways even Patagonia non cotton stuff hasn't managed to (and no matter what Pata says or does their Cap stuff still builds up a funk imo). But that's another story!

On topic, I want to dip my toe in the made in US price point right above Pata and Prana and see if the quality is worth it. It has been with bib shorts I have tried so far. Cheaper in the long run to have and use and keep than to have and use for a season and a half.

Also, that does indeed seem true of other 4way stretch garments I have.

I'm with ya. Maybe I'll buy some too!

S24o sounds awesome!

pobrien
04-14-2020, 08:56 AM
Hi,

I don't mean to crash your thread but wanted to report that all my Prana items have been fantastic and wear really well.

Mostly wear Prana pants every day. Fantastic with a bit of stretch in them. And they wear really well.

The tee shirts are first class though I bought them a bit too big. No big deal.
The shorts are perfectly nice. I have two pair.

I just felt compelled to add some comments on my experience with what has been a stellar brand for me.

best regards,

Patrick

scoobydrew
04-14-2020, 11:21 AM
I bought them but returned them right after only due to sizing. In my experience they run larger than the stated size. I went with my usual waist size and it was about a size too large.

Great quality shorts and nice fit/cut for cycling. I'm considering getting another pair one of these days.

zambenini
04-14-2020, 11:24 AM
Hi,

I don't mean to crash your thread but wanted to report that all my Prana items have been fantastic and wear really well.

Mostly wear Prana pants every day. Fantastic with a bit of stretch in them. And they wear really well.

The tee shirts are first class though I bought them a bit too big. No big deal.

The shorts are perfectly nice. I have two pair.

I just felt compelled to add some comments on my experience with what has been a stellar brand for me.

best regards,

PatrickThere's a saying about one man's something rather. Yes, their t shirts rule. I wouldn't touch their shorts/pants again though.

dbnm
04-14-2020, 11:37 AM
I own them. Bought them last summer and think they are rather good.

I do have to wear a belt with them in order to wear the size that fits my thighs.

Totally worth owning.

jtakeda
04-14-2020, 11:38 AM
I bought them but returned them right after only due to sizing. In my experience they run larger than the stated size. I went with my usual waist size and it was about a size too large.

Great quality shorts and nice fit/cut for cycling. I'm considering getting another pair one of these days.

+1

I bought them and had some sizing issues but I did end up keeping them.

I have weird proportions and I’ve tried shorts from outlier, ornot, swrve and I couldn’t get any of them to fit how I want. The ornot were “good enough” but I wouldn’t buy another pair—especially for that price.

I even waited until a 20% off sale and they were pricey

But I’ll echo what everyone is saying about the waist/ thigh. That was my problem

arimajol
04-14-2020, 11:38 AM
I wear Prana bronson pants like 98% of the time.
Don't have the ornot shorts, but just got their magic shell jacket and I'm very impressed.

slowpoke
04-14-2020, 12:29 PM
I do have to wear a belt with them in order to wear the size that fits my thighs.

This is a deal-breaker for me.

I refuse to "size up" just so shorts/pants can fit my thighs. Clothing designers need to stop with these tapered shorts.

jtakeda
04-14-2020, 01:15 PM
This is a deal-breaker for me.

I refuse to "size up" just so shorts/pants can fit my thighs. Clothing designers need to stop with these tapered shorts.

Agreed.

I wouldnt say they are "worth owning" but id say they make a decent stop gap until someone figures out how to make some freakin shorts

scoobydrew
04-14-2020, 03:33 PM
I've been wanting to try these out from God and Famous.

https://godandfamo.us/collections/shorts/products/commuter-shorts-gray

4-way stretch for a bit lower price, but not MiUSA. Advertised as a slim cut, so I'm not sure how well that bodes from a waist vs. thigh fitment perspective. FWIW, I own a lot of Ornot pieces but agree with jtakeda that it's a bit pricey.

kytyree
04-14-2020, 04:48 PM
I like the looks of those, I've had my eye on a couple of different shorts that Kitsbow makes. I've never tried their shorts but like some of their other stuff I've tried.

okayku
04-14-2020, 07:20 PM
I have a pair and they are definitely tight on the thighs (even for my chicken legs) and really short. The materials are quality and stretchy but just a bit too short for my taste

livesadventure
04-14-2020, 07:59 PM
I've got two pairs. They fit well but slim and are quite comfortable on the bike. I wear a 30 waist and have no problem with the 30 shorts, in Ornot bibs I wear a small. They fall about 4-6 inches above my knee, so they're a good option if you want to even out your tan lines...