PDA

View Full Version : Component refinishing?

coreyaugustus
04-13-2020, 03:44 PM
Who does refinishing/repainting of groupsets and similar components?
For example, I'm not crazy about the Chorus 11 logo on group and I think it would be cooler to replace it with an older logo or Campagnolo script.

Anyone have similar work done without having a frame painted at the same time? Recommendations appreciated.

https://www.sefiles.net/merchant/240/images/site/campagnolo-logo-1974.jpg

93KgBike
04-13-2020, 05:52 PM
There's a thread about a Somec that had the components panto'd and then painted...

that guy definitely did his homework and can probably help[

coreyaugustus
04-13-2020, 06:59 PM
There's a thread about a Somec that had the components panto'd and then painted...

that guy definitely did his homework and can probably help[

Yeah, I think my answer is buried in the custom bikes section in individual threads rather than a specific one. The search keywords I was using didn’t help. But this is a start. Thanks!

AngryScientist
04-13-2020, 07:12 PM
this is a good and interesting question.

i do believe the cost for level of detail required to do this kind of work is going to be really high to make it worth a craftsman's time, but it's still a question worth asking.

the custom panto kit referred to above is indeed buried in the nahbs/custom threads, but if you search for posts by Sales Guy, they should pop up.

as opined though, i bet that would be cost prohibitive for most folks.

let us know if you find anything interesting!

Dino Suegiù
04-13-2020, 07:32 PM
I may be wrong, but iirc the Somec in question was detailed by CycleRetro in Melbourne, AUS (https://www.cycloretro.com/pantographing)?

Even if not, CR clients have published many examples of their orders, and the results always look fantastic.

CR does very beautiful work, but also very expensive for the remove old graphics/polish + prep/re-paint, re-logo, or re-pantograph (custom)/finish work the op is asking about, even if only the most basic operations were involved (ie strip/prep/paint/clear).

AngryScientist
04-13-2020, 07:36 PM
I may be wrong, but iirc the Somec in question was detailed by CycleRetro in Melbourne, AUS (https://www.cycloretro.com/pantographing)?

Even if not, CR clients have published many examples of their orders, and the results always look fantastic.

CR does very beautiful work, but also very expensive for the remove old graphics/polish + prep/re-paint, re-logo, or re-pantograph (custom)/finish work the op is asking about, even if only the most basic operations were involved (ie strip/prep/paint/clear).

yes that's it, i think that's who both of us were thinking of! good detective work DS.

considering that, i think brake lever blades could conceivably last forever, and so could crank arms and derailleur cages, it might be worth getting into.

if i had just the right special build, i would consider it.

AngryScientist
04-13-2020, 07:54 PM
i mean....

this is the J-A-M

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/ef035e_cdea402983634b5c92a2dbbd4eca3800~mv2.jpg/v1/fill/w_960,h_720,al_c,q_90/ef035e_cdea402983634b5c92a2dbbd4eca3800~mv2.webp

Dino Suegiù
04-13-2020, 08:00 PM
Yes, but just looking/guessing at the price list for gruppo Crankarms x2, FD. RD, Calipers x2, Levers x2, and assuming the price list is in AUD and current (let's forget Hubs ($60 extra/pair) if the op's wheels are already built):

Polishing only: $300.
Custom Decals or paint (NO panto): ~$250 minimum?
Clear coat all parts: ~$250 minimum?
Shipping/etc.

That's +/- $AU 900 = $US 575 minimum. Not terrible if for a really special build, like that SOMEC was or the builds in the CR gallery, but a lot of good (wheels, etc) money just to re-brand some Chorus bits in my (poor person's) opinion.

@coreyaugustus: email the CycleRetro owner with your specifics, he may say "can't do" or you might be pleasantly surprised. Good luck.

EDIT: those pantographed Campagnolo levers sure do look spectacular.

m_sasso
04-13-2020, 08:02 PM
There are a couple entire Facebook groups dedicated to pantograph/drillium, refinishing and doing components over. https://www.facebook.com/groups/2174433499250304/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/109516439574320/

Velocipede
04-13-2020, 08:04 PM
Correct, it's CycloRetro, Chris Howard in Australia who did the refinishing and custom pantographing for me. I've had a few kits done and am getting another done for a bike right now.

www.cycloretro.com

Cost is not cheap. To do the following:
Campagnolo Potenza kit-
levers, front derailleur, rear derailleur, bb cups, crankset, brakeset; the cost is about $750 usd. That doesn't include the shipping to and from. Shipping to him is about $75-100 depending on what you send over. Cost back, about $50-75. Not including the cost of the components.

It's not cheap but oh the reward from it.

Dino Suegiù
04-13-2020, 08:08 PM
Correct, it's CycloRetro....
How well were the components protected (ie clear coat, etc) and how well has the work held up over use/time?

Velocipede
04-13-2020, 08:32 PM
How well were the components protected (ie clear coat, etc) and how well has the work held up over use/time?

The finish is polished only. No anodizing or clearcoating on it. Regarding the durability, it's pretty good. I keep the parts clean and every so often I polish it with Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish. It doesn't cloud up easily or quickly. It's pretty durable.

coreyaugustus
04-13-2020, 10:11 PM
CycloRetro was a name I’ve seen before, and yes, amazing work at an equally impressive cost. I may drop a line, but chroming and pantographing aren’t quite what I’m after.

I rather like the look of this. (https://www.instagram.com/p/BkQqbXJh7Ba/?igshid=1lcmsz7b36kla)
I tried reaching out to the post owner some time back; didn’t receive a reply. Something similar would be cool, though not a direct copy. May even be able to get close myself, at least could remove the old logos and re-clear, but I’m not sure how to get the new logos done right. I also don’t want to eff anything up trying. So before I turn it into a quarantine project, find someone who can do it right.

Velocipede
04-13-2020, 11:08 PM
CycloRetro was a name I’ve seen before, and yes, amazing work at an equally impressive cost. I may drop a line, but chroming and pantographing aren’t quite what I’m after.

I rather like the look of this. (https://www.instagram.com/p/BkQqbXJh7Ba/?igshid=1lcmsz7b36kla)
I tried reaching out to the post owner some time back; didn’t receive a reply. Something similar would be cool, though not a direct copy. May even be able to get close myself, at least could remove the old logos and re-clear, but I’m not sure how to get the new logos done right. I also don’t want to eff anything up trying. So before I turn it into a quarantine project, find someone who can do it right.

While my guys in the UK have done custom painted Campy parts before, you most likely want someone in the US. All fo the ones below can do what you're looking for.

Drew Wilson at CycloCarbon- Minnepolis
Kaishon Way at Alpha Studios- NYC
Ross Piper at Piper Designs- Orlando
Lindsay Martin at Lindsay Martin Design- Denver

My first choice is Drew than Kaishon. Drew does beautiful work.

macgee
04-14-2020, 03:20 AM

The finish is polished only. No anodizing or clearcoating on it. Regarding the durability, it's pretty good. I keep the parts clean and every so often I polish it with Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish. It doesn't cloud up easily or quickly. It's pretty durable.

I agree with Velo,

When properly polished, they can be easily maintained without much detriment.

About 14 yrs ago, I removed the anodize and polished some Campy Pista cranks, the bike use to do about 5K+ mi/year of hard street riding, non pampered and then hung in the rafters for the last 5 yrs with zero wiping down or maintaining. After all this time they still look fine, the fine polish is faded somewhat and now they look about the same as they did when anodized but I'm sure a quick cleaning with some metal cleaner & elbow grease will get them back to about 80+%. of what they looked like 14 yrs ago off the polishing wheel. Non-anodized high polished components on a well pampered maintained bike will look great for many, many years.

In regards to finding someone and cost of refinishing, the price tag is big for good reasons. It's a total labor of love and you only see about an 1/8th of the labor going into it. Every bolt, nut and washer on each component is carefully dismantled, organized and every surface on each part is then touched, inspected and refinished and pretty much every part is done individually but thats not done till all the anodize is removed on each part. It would be waaay quicker to completely take apart a new bike, rebuild it and tune it than restoring and polishing a single brake or rear derailleur.

And then add the time putting on a high polish and painting the pantographs. But thats what most notice. Pantographing is a total lost art and very, very few have the required tooling to do it now a days, it's far from easy on bike parts because of all the compound curves and radius's being engraved on, It not like you can easily pop the part on a CNC mill, press a button and cut away while drinking your coffee like you could on a flat surface. Even before you can cut a pantograph, you first need to create the art work, adjust it to scale and customize it to look properly on an uneven surface and you only get one chance to get it right. After that, you can then start to apply the several coats of paint, each color is more steps while not disturbing the high polish.

I would say Chris at CycloRetro is charging a very reasonable price and does very beautiful work.

coreyaugustus
04-14-2020, 07:58 AM
While my guys in the UK have done custom painted Campy parts before, you most likely want someone in the US. All fo the ones below can do what you're looking for.

Drew Wilson at CycloCarbon- Minnepolis
Kaishon Way at Alpha Studios- NYC
Ross Piper at Piper Designs- Orlando
Lindsay Martin at Lindsay Martin Design- Denver

My first choice is Drew than Kaishon. Drew does beautiful work.

Thanks! A quick google of Ross Piper gave me a reminder of this frame that I've lusted over for some time, but don't any anything with large enough tubes to mimic.
https://static.wixstatic.com/media/c9fecb_3c6241f847594c2db0b271c1389a02ce~mv2.jpg/v1/fill/w_830,h_553,al_c,lg_1,q_90/c9fecb_3c6241f847594c2db0b271c1389a02ce~mv2.webp

coreyaugustus
05-15-2020, 09:46 PM
So I sent the parts to Drew @ Cyclocarbon and I think he did a pretty good job. The brake blades could use a little wet sanding to smooth out the finish—a simple job I can handle—I’ll post pics tomorrow for anyone interested.

I appreciate the recommendation, Paceline folks. I think I got what I wanted at a fair price.

coreyaugustus
05-16-2020, 12:31 PM
As promised, pics.

soupless
05-17-2020, 01:35 AM
I think that looks really cool.
Props for seeing it through...