PDA

View Full Version : OT: Underrated/Overrated Bands...

Pages : [1] 2

XXtwindad
04-12-2020, 06:46 PM
Driving to pick up my daughters today I heard one of the most underrated bands followed in quick succession by a highly overrated band (again ...my opinion) These bands aren’t necessarily my favorite or least favorite (although the overrated band is close). Just the ones I feel haven’t gotten their fair due or the ones that have been overly hyped.

Underrated

1) Thin Lizzy. A great no frills rock band with a compelling lead singer.
2) Supertramp. They were smart, whimsical, and hard to classify. Maybe that worked against them.
3) Judas Priest. I don’t know if they’re underrated, technically. But Rob Halford had the greatest vocal range this side of Freddy Mercury.

Overrated

1) Green Day. “Do you want to listen to me whine?” No.
2) The Chili Peppers. What exactly is their appeal? Isn’t it the same song over and over again?

Others?

gbcoupe
04-12-2020, 07:16 PM
Obviously subjective. These are the ones that come to mind.

Underated:

* Richard Thompson! Who you say? Look him up and listen. Acoustic and electric... amazing!

* King Crimson (2nd gen especially). Amazing musicians... very tight. Are/were supposed to be touring this year for 40th anniversary.

* Fleet Foxes. Hope they can stay together. If not, pretty much anything Robin Pecknold does is beautiful.

Overrated:

* Oasis. Always hit me as droning noise. Can't turn it off fast enough.

* The Eagles. Yeah, I know. Everybody loves them.

* The Grateful Dead. Maybe I just never smoked enough pot.

jtbadge
04-12-2020, 07:17 PM
https://i.imgur.com/2oWkXv1.gif

robt57
04-12-2020, 07:18 PM
I'll just do under rated, one:

Bee Bop Deluxe

gbcoupe
04-12-2020, 07:19 PM
https://i.imgur.com/2oWkXv1.gif

Forgot about that. :hello:

Bostic
04-12-2020, 07:30 PM
Judas Priest is what got me into Heavy Metal when they released Unleashed in the East in 1979 when I was young. I had no idea what Les Binks was playing on the drums but II knew I had to learn it. Before that it was Led Zeppelin and Blue Oyster Cult that my older sister would play on the turn table.

zzy
04-12-2020, 07:41 PM
The best part of that Lewbowski line is that the Stones manager laughed so hard he let them use the Townes Van Zandt cover of Dead Flowers for free.

goonster
04-12-2020, 07:43 PM
“I’m forever near a stereo saying, ‘What the f*** is this garbage?’ And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers.”

- Nick Cave -

Tony T
04-12-2020, 07:45 PM
Anyone listening to AOR in 1979 wouldn’t call Supertramp “underrated”.
In 1980, Breakfast in America won two Grammy Awards, including Best Engineered Non-Classical Recording, and Grammy nominations for Album of the Year and Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals. It holds an RIAA certification of quadruple platinum and became Supertramp's biggest-selling album, with more than 4 million copies sold in the US alone. It was No. 1 on Billboard Pop Albums Chart for six weeks, until 30 June 1979.

They were underrated in 1974 however.

makoti
04-12-2020, 07:47 PM

Overrated:

Eagles were great for the first 3 albums. 4th was iffy, at best. After that, gaak!
I never got the Dead, either.

wc1934
04-12-2020, 08:08 PM

Underated:

* Richard Thompson! Who you say? Look him up and listen. Acoustic and electric... amazing!

* King Crimson (2nd gen especially). Amazing musicians... very tight. Are/were supposed to be touring this year for 40th anniversary.

* Fleet Foxes. Hope they can stay together. If not, pretty much anything Robin Pecknold does is beautiful.

Overrated:

* Oasis. Always hit me as droning noise. Can't turn it off fast enough.

Stating that the Dead is underrated - You have to be smoking something!! :confused:

Hindmost
04-12-2020, 08:09 PM
The best part of that Lewbowski line is that the Stones manager laughed so hard he let them use the Townes Van Zandt cover of Dead Flowers for free.

"Out of my @#$&%$ cab!"

gbcoupe
04-12-2020, 08:12 PM
I'll just do under rated, one:

Bee Bop Deluxe

That was a new one for me. Some pretty good guitar.

John H.
04-12-2020, 08:14 PM
Dead

Elefantino
04-12-2020, 08:42 PM
Underrated: Swingout Sister
Overrated: Nirvana

BryanE
04-12-2020, 08:50 PM
Under rated:
C C. Adcock
Too Slim and the Tail Draggers
Guitar Shorty

I wouldn't ever consider Richard Thompson or King Crimson under rated. I had the privilege of seeing Richard Thompson in 2016. He was amazing.

Louis
04-12-2020, 09:26 PM
Overrated: The Who

robt57
04-12-2020, 09:31 PM
I'd list The Stones and The Dead as over rated, but I don't know how to duck on the internet... :butt:

Toeclips
04-12-2020, 09:45 PM
Hmmm....I wonder if the dead are the reason I never got pass toeclips.....

wallymann
04-12-2020, 09:57 PM
x

Frankwurst
04-12-2020, 09:59 PM
I'd list The Stones and The Dead as over rated, but I don't know how to duck on the internet... :butt:

Well if B B King were still alive he'd probably enjoy debating this with you. Me on the other hand just choose to respectively disagree. I think they are two of the best bands to ever make music. :beer:

Matthew
04-12-2020, 10:02 PM
Chili peppers are 100% overrated as said above. Every song is the same. Nirvana? No thanks. Dave Matthews Band. Yuck. That guy's voice makes me want to light myself on fire. Underrated : Triumph, Ambrosia, The Scorpions, Pat Benatar ( how is she not in the hall of fame?). And many of today's pop stars are overrated. I debate with my buddies about this topic all the time!

XXtwindad
04-12-2020, 10:03 PM
x

“X” the punk band? Underrated or overrated? They were a great band! Granted, Exene Cervenka has gotten a bit wiggy ...

Jaybee
04-12-2020, 10:32 PM
Overrated- Phish, the Dead, Boston, about 70% of the Beatles catalog, Arcade Fire

rounder
04-12-2020, 10:37 PM

Love Townes Van Zandt. Not sure if he is underrated or overrated,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zprRZ2wFQD4

benb
04-12-2020, 10:38 PM
These threads are always great ways of dating yourself.

It's incredibly hard for me to say anything is overrated in this rock/pop arena since I started playing lots of lots of guitar.

There are huge portions of the bands mentioned here that I would have 100% agreed with "overrated" till I started playing guitar and went off to learn one of their songs and had my eyes opened.

I don't know.. Grateful Dead might be near the top of that list over "Overrated till I went to play it myself."

robt57
04-12-2020, 10:40 PM
Pat Benatar ( how is she not in the hall of fame?).

I recall she was nominated. I had to go wiki to see my assumption she'd been inducted after being nominated was wrong.

No kidding on that one.

bthornt
04-12-2020, 10:43 PM
“X” the punk band? Underrated or overrated? They were a great band! Granted, Exene Cervenka has gotten a bit wiggy ...

I don't know if they're over or underrated, but I know that Los Angeles and Wild Gift are awesome.

Peter B
04-12-2020, 10:44 PM
<snip>

Underated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5V0RkCIaXo

Dino Suegiù
04-12-2020, 10:58 PM
Just looking at the bands on the Page 1 playlist at the time of this post:

Underrated bands:
"Morning Ride"
"Quarantine Projects"
"Throwback Greg Lemond"
"Old Movies During The Crisis"
"Good Backpacking Bags"

Overrated bands:
"Super Clean Zip Tie"
"Attending Graduate School"
"Tried Racing On Zwift"
"New Cannonball Run Record"
"PF30 Question"

Worst ever band, bar none:
"Covid-19 (The Event, Not The Discussion"

Blue Jays
04-12-2020, 11:11 PM
Underrated:
Cheap Trick

Overrated:
Mariah Carey

Jaybee
04-12-2020, 11:31 PM

Underrated bands:
"Morning Ride"
"Quarantine Projects"
"Throwback Greg Lemond"
"Good Backpacking Bags"

Overrated bands:
"Super Clean Zip Tie"
"Tried Racing On Zwift"
"PF30 Question"

Post of the year. See you on January 1, fellas.

XXtwindad
04-12-2020, 11:32 PM
Underrated:
Cheap Trick

Overrated:
Mariah Carey

Holy hell yes!!! First album I ever bought: “Live at Budokan.” They get overlooked as disco shifted to New Wave and the sugary pop of the early 80s. But I don’t know anyone who came of age during that era that doesn’t love Cheap Trick.

Kid Rock is downright eloquent when rhapsodizing about them at the RnR HOF:
“A garage band in sheep’s clothing. With Punk soul, Pop heartbeat, and Beatles ambition.”’

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DjSyo4kUq5M

Frankwurst
04-12-2020, 11:58 PM
Love Townes Van Zandt. Not sure if he is underrated or overrated,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zprRZ2wFQD4

Townes Van Zandt doesn't get rated simply because he wrote songs that have been played and respected by some of the best musicians we have had the pleasure of listening to. He was a song writer and a damn good one at that.:beer:

phoenix
04-13-2020, 12:20 AM
“I’m forever near a stereo saying, ‘What the f*** is this garbage?’ And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers.”

- Nick Cave -

This is me everytime I hear Dave Matthews Band.

Malinois
04-13-2020, 04:24 AM
To be fair, back in the mid 90’s I remember looking at through the classifieds in SPIN and seeing a band called “Eric Clapton’s Flying Son”

So umm, yeah.

Patrick Sweany deserves some respect on the rock side; hip hop’s a huge blender but there’s a white rapper from Maine who goes by the name of Spose has been pretty on point for a while.

Elefantino
04-13-2020, 05:06 AM
Holy hell yes!!! First album I ever bought: “Live at Budokan.”

The. Best. Live. Album. Ever.

CNY rider
04-13-2020, 06:23 AM
Under rated: Metallica pre- Master of Puppets.
Over rated: Everything Metallica since Master of Puppets.

paredown
04-13-2020, 07:13 AM
I always think that it is impossible to hear music the way it first arrived--unless you were there--and you heard it with young ears and fell in love...

For me there were a few moments when you put it on the turntable--and you were honestly and completely stunned by what you heard--the freshness, the sound, the mix, the voices-the rock-ness of the rock and roll...

Sadly it only sounds that way to those that were there at that pivotal age--and those sounds will be "their" sounds forever...

A few albums come to mind--the world changed after you heard them:

Who: Live at Leeds
Beatles: Magical Mystery Tour--oh that opening!
The Dead: Uncle John's Band
Led Zeppelin: first--and especially Side 2/Second album: Heartbreaker and segue into Livin, Lovin;
Cheap Trick: Live at the Budokan (Yay--other people love this as much as I dol)
Cream: Crossroads (Wheels of Fire)
Stones: Let it Bleed

These are pretty typical picks for an old guy, I suppose but it is a generational thing.

Sometimes with some creative forgetting, you can do a kind of archaeology of fresh listening and try to hear why they became legends...

I remember going "back" when we were messing around in garage bands, and listening to early Elvis (not fat Elvis) and being stunned by how good he was, same with Sam Cooke (whose songs I learned from Rod Stewart).

Later, it was recovering a bunch of early blues guys--even finding the early Frank Sinatra and marveling at his voice and ability to swing--and having that little 'ah ha' moment--that's why he has the fans!

Bob Ross
04-13-2020, 07:36 AM
- Nick Cave -
This is me everytime I hear Dave Matthews Band.

True story: Some time back in the mid-1990s a friend called me up, didn't even say "Hi" or "This is RJ" or "How're you doing?"...

he just immediately asks "Who's that band that sucks?"

I'm slightly taken aback, but without missing more than a beat I reply "Hootie & The Blowfish?"

"Thanks" he says, and hangs up.

Elefantino
04-13-2020, 07:37 AM
I always think that it is impossible to hear music the way it first arrived--unless you were there--and you heard it with young ears and fell in love...

For me there were a few moments when you put it on the turntable--and you were honestly and completely stunned by what you heard--the freshness, the sound, the mix, the voices-the rock-ness of the rock and roll...

Sadly it only sounds that way to those that were there at that pivotal age--and those sounds will be "their" sounds forever...

A few albums come to mind--the world changed after you heard them:

Who: Live at Leeds
Beatles: Magical Mystery Tour--oh that opening!
The Dead: Uncle John's Band
Led Zeppelin: Side 2/Second album: Heartbreaker and segue into Livin, Lovin;
Cheap Trick: Live at the Budokan (Yay--other people love this as much as I dol)
Cream: Crossroads (Wheels of Fire)
Stones: Let it Bleed

These are pretty typical picks for an old guy, I suppose but it is a generational thing.

Sometimes with some creative forgetting, you can do a kind of archaeology of fresh listening and try to hear why they became legends...

I remember going "back" when we were messing around in garage bands, and listening to early Elvis (not fat Elvis) and being stunned by how good he was, same with Sam Cooke (whose songs I learned from Rod Stewart).

Later, it was recovering a bunch of early blues guys--even finding the early Frank Sinatra and marveling at his voice and ability to swing--and having that little 'ah ha' moment--that's why he has the fans!
I'd add "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" ... while not a real Elton fan, the opening of that double LP is just stunning.

paredown
04-13-2020, 07:49 AM
I'd add "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" ... while not a real Elton fan, the opening of that double LP is just stunning.

Yes!

My real entree for Elton was the live album '17-11-70'--it absolutely rocks the house--it was another album that stunned me. Recorded in NYC, no lush productions, just that driving piano--OMG!

(I think he has said that he considers it his best "live")

Dekonick
04-13-2020, 08:02 AM
It is all just music until you muddy the waters ;)

Blues and Jazz - Doesn't get the respect it should today... Now it is autotune and prefab bands...

soulspinner
04-13-2020, 08:25 AM
Underrated.....Alice in Chains

Overrated.......Metallica

charliedid
04-13-2020, 08:25 AM

Underrated bands:
"Morning Ride"
"Quarantine Projects"
"Throwback Greg Lemond"
"Good Backpacking Bags"

Overrated bands:
"Super Clean Zip Tie"
"Tried Racing On Zwift"
"PF30 Question"

:)

Jeff N.
04-13-2020, 08:32 AM
Overrated: BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN.(Dead are a close second)
Megasucks: RHCPeppers, Journey, Foreigner, Styx
Underrated: Alice In Chains (before Layne offed himself), Jackson Browne, Warren Zevon.

Jeff N.
04-13-2020, 08:33 AM
Overrated: The WhoOther than "Who's Next", which I consider one of the best rock albums ever recorded, total garbage.

DeBike
04-13-2020, 08:40 AM
Two overrated that come to mind for me, Dave Matthews Band and the Eagles.

Two underrated, Jethro Tull and Little Feat. Little Feat does seem to get more respect now.

Hilltopperny
04-13-2020, 08:44 AM
Underrated System of a Down
Blind Melon
Wu Tang Clan

Overrated Metallica post ...And justice for all
Drake
Post Malone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matthew
04-13-2020, 08:46 AM
Come on man, Journey is awesome. Especially with Rollie and Perry on vocals. More overrated : Kiss, Post Malone, Billie Eilish. Underrated : Kelly Clarkson, April Wine, and Joss Stone. Sorry Adele, you got nothing on Joss.

efixler
04-13-2020, 08:49 AM

Underated:

Just saw Richard Thompson for the first time (finally!) a couple of months ago. So great.

Holding tickets for King Crimson in Glens Falls in June. This show will probably get cancelled, but holding out hope for the moment.

jm714
04-13-2020, 09:14 AM
Bands I change the radio station on:
Depeche Mode
Duran Duran
Tears for Fears

cmg
04-13-2020, 09:16 AM
Underrated; My morning jacket
pinkshineyultrablast
The smithereens
the Replacements
foals
Superchunk
Helmet

Overrated; Metallica
Pearl Jam
eagles
Prince (excluding purple rain)
Oasis
queen (never a fan)
Pink Floyd, liked them before dark side of the money (moon)

kppolich
Underrated:
Milli Vanilli
Hall & Oates

Red Tornado
I always thought Iron Maiden (my favorite band growing up) was underrated - at least by the DJ's - in this country. I know lots of people who liked them but where I lived, even in their heyday (80's & early 90's), couldn't get much airplay.

One I can't decide on is AC/DC. You know what people say about all their songs being played with the same three or four chords, but dang they put on a good show.

tbike4
04-13-2020, 09:39 AM
I have to jump on the bandwagon with the OVERRATED: The Dead. I had neighbors in college and that is literally all they played. Maybe if you saw them live and dropped acid then you could see the light but on vinyl :eek:

I'll go with Frank Zappa on underrated since there has been no mention. I listened to him in high school and occasionally will quote a lyric from one of his songs on a group ride. Yep, weird stares.

XXtwindad
04-13-2020, 09:47 AM
Underrated System of a Down
Blind Melon
Wu Tang Clan

Overrated Metallica post ...And justice for all
Drake
Post Malone

I dunno, Adam. Hard to call WTC ‘underrated.’ I don’t know too many rap fans who don’t worship at the shrine of the RZA.

WNC rider
04-13-2020, 09:49 AM
Overrated (as in: can't change the station fast enough, would rather be eaten alive by fire ants while being burned at the stake than have to listen to them, etc):
-Beatles
-Queen
-Billy Joel
-Eagles

Underrated:
-Radio Birdman
-Rudolph Johnson
-Joe Farrell
-James McMurtry, his early stuff. I haven't been much of a fan and stopped going to his shows after he started getting too political for my tastes, beginning around the "Just Us Kids" release.
-Johnny Paycheck

I listen to so much non-mainstream music that the bands I really like and consider to be 'underrated' is rather extensive.

buddybikes
04-13-2020, 09:50 AM
Underrated: Josh Ritter, Jason Isbell
-- Make songwriting real again!

John Prine - clearly was revered by many, but his "stature" should of reached Dylan and his writing exquisite until he passed

Dolly (those of us north of Mason Dickson line)

Overrated (my wife's choice not mine...this causes marital stress when he comes on) - Neil Young,

XXtwindad
04-13-2020, 09:51 AM
pinkshineyultrablast
The smithereens
the Replacements
foals
Superchunk
Helmet

Overrated; Metallica
Pearl Jam
eagles
Oasis
queen (never a fan)
Pink Floyd, liked them before dark side of the money (moon)

Throwing bombs! Prince and Freddie Mercury easily make the “Top Ten Frontmen” list. Can’t think of more than a handful others OTMH. James Brown definitely. And David Gilmour overrated? Heresy! Show me the person who does not crank up the volume during the guitar solo on “Comfortably Numb.”

WNC rider
04-13-2020, 09:52 AM
show me the person who does not crank up the volume during the guitar solo on “comfortably numb.”

me!

oliver1850
04-13-2020, 09:52 AM
I think over/under appreciated rather than over/under "rated" is more to the point. There are lots of artists that are rated highly by critics and small numbers of music fans but don't sell many albums and are off the general public's radar. Richard Thompson is a good example. Another (in the USA) is Paul Kelly. Despite several top ten albums in Australia and good reviews of his albums he has never caught on to any great extent in the USA.

Not much of a video (1986) but a great song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arKDY5tKKOc

Hindmost
04-13-2020, 09:59 AM
The Dead...Maybe if you saw them live and dropped acid...

I guess you had to be there.

bthornt
04-13-2020, 10:02 AM
Underrated: Slim Whitman, Boxcar Willie, Zamfir (the Master of the Pan Flute)

Rada
04-13-2020, 10:09 AM
Overrated: GNR and Motley Crue. I'd rather hear cats screw.

wc1934
04-13-2020, 10:11 AM
For me there are some generational issues at play - there are so many bands listed that I have never even heard of. And I imagine that bands like Flying Burrito Bros., Edgar and Johnny Winter, Roy Buchanan, Jeff Beck, Gram Parsons, maybe even some such as the Doors, J. Airplane, Big Bro and the Holding co. - Janice Joplin, Kinks, NRPS etc have not been appreciated by the younger generation.

Hilltopperny
04-13-2020, 10:11 AM
I dunno, Adam. Hard to call WTC ‘underrated.’ I don’t know too many rap fans who don’t worship at the shrine of the RZA.

Maybe so Josh, but not too many of the youngsters these days have a clue about Enter the 36 chambers!

csm
04-13-2020, 10:16 AM
Overrated:
Journey. They're basically a cover band these days.
Metallica... they always have resting metal face.
Chili peppers.... just don't get it.

Underrated
Lucinda Williams
Hayes Carl
Abba
Bee Gees

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cmg
04-13-2020, 10:20 AM
Overrated: GNR and Motley Crue. I'd rather hear cats screw.

definitely, Guns . Motley just annoying...…..

choke
04-13-2020, 10:25 AM
Music is so subjective....you either like something or you don't. I could list a number of popular bands that I don't like, and hence think are overrated, but others do like them....

Come on man, Journey is awesome. Especially with Rollie and Perry on vocals.
I think Journey starting with their 4th album (which most people think is their 1st album) is terrible for the most part.....and that's when Steve Perry joined the group. But those first 3 albums were great and their first album (just titled "Journey") is easily in my top 5 albums of all time. If you haven't heard it you should give it a listen, it's nothing like the stuff that made them well known.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRLAHB1uGa4&list=PLDDAYQXk_M67SXl7bZFdpDW49iAK0VVmW

johnniecakes
04-13-2020, 10:37 AM
Under appreciated
The musicianship of Kansas and Chicago (before they got all soft pop) was unmatched by any of their contemporaries. These guys broke new ground and did it with excellence. Song for America is still the best piece of music I have ever heard.

Overrated
Like what you like and enjoy, not pooping on anyone.

Matthew
04-13-2020, 10:39 AM
These are cover bands but I feel they should be checked out on YouTube. Foxes and Fossils. Excellent band and vocals, many of their videos are made in a taco joint parking lot. So good though. Also, Leonid and Friends. Do a lot of Chicago covers as well as Earth, Wind, and Fire. Probably better than the current Chicago line up. And finally, the Hindley Street Country Club. Cover band from Australia. Very good band and great vocals, especially when the ladies sing lead. Check them out!

Matthew
04-13-2020, 10:41 AM
I agree johnniecakes. Both were incredible.

Blue Jays
04-13-2020, 10:43 AM
Underrated:
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers

Overrated:
Paula Abdul

choke
04-13-2020, 10:48 AM
The musicianship of Kansas and Chicago (before they got all soft pop) was unmatched by any of their contemporaries.Both bands had excellent musicians, but 'unmatched'? Eh...I can't agree, but then we're back to opinions.

Definitely under appreciated IMO - Yes. And I would put the musicians there up against anyone when it comes to skill and talent.

grateful
04-13-2020, 10:54 AM
Different stokes for different folks.

GNR-When they first became widely popular it was such a breath of fresh air compared to what was passing as Hard Rock.

Nirvana-see above.

The Dead-Saw a live show and that was that. My favorite band of all.

Simon and Garfunkel-turn down the lights and let your mind wander

CSNY-never gets old, both as solo artists and as a group.

jtakeda
04-13-2020, 11:00 AM
For me there are some generational issues at play - there are so many bands listed that I have never even heard of. And I imagine that bands like Flying Burrito Bros., Edgar and Johnny Winter, Roy Buchanan, Jeff Beck, Gram Parsons, maybe even some such as the Doors, J. Airplane, Big Bro and the Holding co. - Janice Joplin, Kinks, NRPS etc have not been appreciated by the younger generation.

Serious question:
When was the last time you had an engaging conversation with a "younger" person about music or rock n roll?

Family doesnt count.

Without going crazy.

Overrated:
Led Zeppelin
Sublime (worst influence on popular culture ever?)

Underrated:
Thin Lizzy
MC5

kevinvc
04-13-2020, 11:07 AM
I'll focus on bands people have heard of but aren't appreciated as being as influential as they were.

Under:
- Queensryche
- Blue Oyster Cult
- The Pixies
- The Kinks
- Roxy Music
- Bill Withers

Over:
- Phil Collins (with the exception of early Genesis)
- The Doors
- The Sex Pistols
- Aerosmith
- Coldplay (epitome of over-engineered, perfectly-crafted sound to be catchy and radio friendly without actually being very good. They're basically the Cool Ranch Doritos of music)

I'm not going to rate the Grateful Dead either way. They were an experience much more than a band. I knew few people who listened to their studio albums.

Matthew
04-13-2020, 11:14 AM
Love Queensryche. Early Aerosmith was good. Then came Dude looks like a lady, Janie's got a gun, love in an elevator. Ugh, horrible.

BobC
04-13-2020, 11:25 AM
Over: Maroon 5 (not sure that is even music, much the ability to rhyme at even the fundamental level)

Under: Laura Izibor
Marshall Crenshaw

OtayBW
04-13-2020, 11:27 AM
Well if B B King were still alive he'd probably enjoy debating this with you. Me on the other hand just choose to respectively disagree. I think they are two of the best bands to ever make music. :beer:If your could ask him what he thinks about Peter Green, one of the most (undeservedly) underrated blues guitarists...

OtayBW
04-13-2020, 11:31 AM
This! And I'll throw Quicksilver Messenger Service into this mix as well. Oh, and the Byrds while I'm at it (all incarnations of them...). Or The Band. Or Hendrix, although he stands alone, IMO.....

Frankwurst
04-13-2020, 11:49 AM
I'll say this. There are more than a few people here I'd like to sit down with, twist one up, crack a beer and listen to tunes with. :beer:

benb
04-13-2020, 12:09 PM
Don't mistake younger people not being exposed to music for not liking it.

The exposure to older music is drastically higher among young people who actually make music.

There are very few people who have a Telecaster who are ignorant of who Roy Buchanan is for example, regardless of age.

If there are young bands who are heavily influenced by the sounds of these older bands than by definition those bands are intimately familiar with that music and the tradition is not being lost.

You could say younger people don't get the Grateful Dead.. but not if you were to go listen to Daniel Donato (24), he's going to be huge and he can cover practically the entire Dead catalog and put his own amazing twist on it.

Check out the band Pacific Range.. they are probably about 30.. amazing dead & Allman brothers influenced sound. Just started listening to these guys and they're awesome.

I'm 42, 90% + of the music I've ended up learning on guitar was written before I was born. So I know way more older stuff than when I started.

Also keep in mind most people who play spend way more time rubbing shoulders with different generations than people who listen so older stuff comes into rotation to play constantly.

LOL Blues is probably overrated because it gets played so much by everyone and most don't have much to say. But it's underrated too cause it influences everything and it's the first thing you can learn to play & write your own & improvise on.

martl
04-13-2020, 12:13 PM
Overrated: Michael Jackson
Underrated: Prince

😀

FlashUNC
04-13-2020, 12:26 PM
Your taste is music is more or less crystallized when you're 14-17, and that's pretty much that.

Over-rated:
Eagles
Fleetwood Mac

Under-rated:
The Sonics
The Hives
GWAR

The world needs more bands like GWAR and fewer bands like the Eagles.

TheseGoTo11
04-13-2020, 12:32 PM
A few underappreciated candidates:

Black Sabbath
Dinosaur Jr.
Uncle Tupelo

Frankwurst
04-13-2020, 12:34 PM

The exposure to older music is drastically higher among young people who actually make music.

There are very few people who have a Telecaster who are ignorant of who Roy Buchanan is for example, regardless of age.

If there are young bands who are heavily influenced by the sounds of these older bands than by definition those bands are intimately familiar with that music and the tradition is not being lost.

You could say younger people don't get the Grateful Dead.. but not if you were to go listen to Daniel Donato (24), he's going to be huge and he can cover practically the entire Dead catalog and put his own amazing twist on it.

Check out the band Pacific Range.. they are probably about 30.. amazing dead & Allman brothers influenced sound. Just started listening to these guys and they're awesome.

I'm 42, 90% + of the music I've ended up learning on guitar was written before I was born. So I know way more older stuff than when I started.

Also keep in mind most people who play spend way more time rubbing shoulders with different generations than people who listen so older stuff comes into rotation to play constantly.

LOL Blues is probably overrated because it gets played so much by everyone and most don't have much to say. But it's underrated too cause it influences everything and it's the first thing you can learn to play & write your own & improvise on.

Agreed. Our kids grew up listening to the music we had on hand which was everything from bluegrass to the Stones. To this day they introduce me to new music. I can occasionally throw something out there they have not heard but just the same when we're lucky enough to have them come home the music never stops and I generally end up with new stuff to listen to. Like I always say You can't groove without tunes.:beer:

GOTHBROOKS
04-13-2020, 12:48 PM
the grateful dead kick so much ass and if you think their thing was only about drugs then youve pretty much missed their point completely.

grateful
04-13-2020, 12:54 PM
My favorite commercially available Dead disk is Dick's Pick's III. I encourage anyone to give it a listen.

the grateful dead kick so much ass and if you think their thing was only about drugs then youve pretty much missed their point completely.

benb
04-13-2020, 12:56 PM
Agreed. Our kids grew up listening to the music we had on hand which was everything from bluegrass to the Stones. To this day they introduce me to new music. I can occasionally throw something out there they have not heard but just the same when we're lucky enough to have them come home the music never stops and I generally end up with new stuff to listen to. Like I always say You can't groove without tunes.:beer:

Just trying to keep things positive.

"Over rated and Under Rated Bands" and "Top 100 Bands of X" always tend to come across as negative.

I feel like "Such and such is overrated" and "Genre X sucks!" is way more a fan/listener thing.. the positivity among players/bands is pretty amazing in comparison.

Rada
04-13-2020, 01:04 PM
Your taste is music is more or less crystallized when you're 14-17, and that's pretty much that.

Over-rated:
Eagles
Fleetwood Mac

Under-rated:
The Sonics
The Hives
GWAR

The world needs more bands like GWAR and fewer bands like the Eagles.

Maybe the more popular iteration of Fleetwood Mac, but certainly the Peter Green lead lineup was underrated. Their album "Then Play On" is excellent.

GOTHBROOKS
04-13-2020, 01:16 PM
gwar is cosplay metal and i think the world needs less of that.
that band GHOUL from the bay area is like that.

wc1934
04-13-2020, 01:16 PM

Agree - exposure is everything - I was talking with a youngster the other day who never heard of Jimmy Cliff.
Of course musicians are familiar with the telecaster - not sure about the average music lover (including many who are posting in this thread).
Blues are overrated? I see the lol, so this is in jest, right?

FlashUNC
04-13-2020, 01:18 PM
Maybe the more popular iteration of Fleetwood Mac, but certainly the Peter Green lead lineup was underrated. Their album "Then Play On" is excellent.

If losing the good parts of Fleetwood Mac means we never have to experience all the rest, that's a trade well worth making imo.

FlashUNC
04-13-2020, 01:19 PM
gwar is cosplay metal and i think the world needs less of that.
that band GHOUL from the bay area is like that.

Less cosplay metal? Probably.

Tongue in cheek, professional wrestling-esque sci-fi cosplay metal? Oh I think the world very much needs more of that.

Hellgate
04-13-2020, 01:25 PM

pinkshineyultrablast

The smithereens

the Replacements

foals

Superchunk

Helmet

Overrated; Metallica

Pearl Jam

eagles

Oasis

queen (never a fan)

Pink Floyd, liked them before dark side of the money (moon)Hard to disagree with either list.

May I add Bob Mould to the underated list? Be it Husker Du, Sugar, or just Bob Mould.

Mike Bryant
04-13-2020, 02:37 PM
Underrated:

Buckingham Nicks
James Gang
Little Feat (how they influenced Robert Palmer)
Head East (really great early synthesizer)
Allen Parsons Project
Nickel Creek (just wow, such talent)
Cheap Trick
Aerosmith (early)

Overrated:

Fleetwood Mac (because Buckingham Nicks made them)
Eagles (because Joe Walsh of the James Gang made them cool; their alternative choice Dan Fogelberg wouldn’t have made them stand out like Joe did)
Kiss and all the Rock Shock/Hair bands that followed. Mostly show more than music.
Nickelback (just ughhh, everything sounds same)
Aerosmith (late)

Pardon, my age is showing.

jamesdak
04-13-2020, 02:52 PM

For years I thought Alice in Chains had one good song, Rooster. And then I woke out. Layne Staley's voice was so amazing. Don't forget the Mad Season Album too, dude went way too soon.

jamesdak
04-13-2020, 02:57 PM
Throwing bombs! Prince and Freddie Mercury easily make the “Top Ten Frontmen” list. Can’t think of more than a handful others OTMH. James Brown definitely. And David Gilmour overrated? Heresy! Show me the person who does not crank up the volume during the guitar solo on “Comfortably Numb.”

This, well except for James Brown. He does nothing for me save a couple of songs.

XXtwindad
04-13-2020, 03:00 PM
I'll focus on bands people have heard of but aren't appreciated as being as influential as they were.

Under:
- Queensryche
- Blue Oyster Cult
- The Pixies
- The Kinks
- Roxy Music
- Bill Withers

Over:
- Phil Collins (with the exception of early Genesis)
- The Doors
- The Sex Pistols
- Aerosmith
- Coldplay (epitome of over-engineered, perfectly-crafted sound to be catchy and radio friendly without actually being very good. They're basically the Cool Ranch Doritos of music)

I'm not going to rate the Grateful Dead either way. They were an experience much more than a band. I knew few people who listened to their studio albums.

Couldn’t agree more with both lists. I had a schoolboy crush on Kim Deal and Roxy Music was part of the soundtrack for my first great love affair. I thought about including the Doors on my initial overrated list. They skated by on pseudo ethereal mysticism and Jim Morrison’s good looks. Coldplay is just insipid.

BobC
04-13-2020, 03:01 PM
A sober Replacements - Underrated
The Replacements the other 90% of the time - Overrated

jamesdak
04-13-2020, 03:05 PM
Underrated:

A couple I haven't seen mentioned yet, what's wrong with ya'll? ;)

Porcupine Tree and all of Steven Wilson's body of work.
Concrete Blonde and here again Johnette's other projects, Pretty and Twisted, solo work, etc.

Overrated:
Beatles
Grateful Dead
90% of the crap on the radio today.....

FlashUNC
04-13-2020, 03:17 PM
This, well except for James Brown. He does nothing for me save a couple of songs.

There's no tighter 15 minutes of rock & roll performance than James Brown at TAMI.

Just an absolute show of talent and force. Feel for the Rolling Stones that had to follow him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMqM4lZGiK0

Dino Suegiù
04-13-2020, 03:18 PM
This may be the only instance in the infinite annals of the entirety of “overrated/underrated band” debates that one of the most overrated bands ever praised (directly, on record forever, to the sound detriment of the ears of infinite generations of listeners, and in their typical inimitable pretension and triteness) one of the most underrated bands ever in one of that most overrated bands’ most overrated songs* ever:
"Now, Muscle Shoals has got the Swampers
And they've been known to pick a song or two
Lord, they get me off so much
They pick me up when I'm feeling blue
Now, how 'bout you?"
But, to their minor credit, at least LS occasionally knew a good band when they heard one.

*For further proof, a truly great underrated’s thoughts on the matter:
“Zevon apparently hated "Sweet Home Alabama" and referred to it as "that dead band's song". He surmised that those who listen to it only do so because their own lives are miserable, and his views on the song are articulated in "Play It All Night Long", which appears on his 1980 album Bad Luck Streak in Dancing School.”

makoti
04-13-2020, 03:51 PM

Beat me to it. Great album. "Mystery to me" was great, as well. Fleetwood Mac has been around so long in so many different pairings playing starkly different styles, that a general "Fleetwood Mac" comment without a qualifier is almost useless.

saab2000
04-13-2020, 04:02 PM
Anyone who think Prince is overrated is on crack. Most underrated and misunderstood musician in a generation.

Watch his performance at the R&R HOF on While My Guitar Gently Weeps to see a snippet of what he could do.

He performed virtually all the music on all his recordings and wrote many hits that were performed by other artists.

Blue Jays
04-13-2020, 04:06 PM
"...Watch his performance at the R&R HOF on While My Guitar Gently Weeps to see a snippet of what he could do.
He performed virtually all the music on all his recordings and wrote many hits that were performed by other artists..."
@saab2000, his terrific performance during that rainy Super Bowl is one of the only halftime shows that I even remember! It was superb!

:hello:

saab2000
04-13-2020, 04:16 PM
@saab2000, his terrific performance during that rainy Super Bowl is one of the only halftime shows that I even remember! It was superb!

:hello:

Also an amazing performance. He was a rock guitar god who may be mentioned with greats like Clapton, Eddie Van Halen (yes) and The Edge, Jimi Hendrix and many more.

Mark Knopfler is on that list too.

yarg
04-13-2020, 04:17 PM
Just sticking to someone not mentioned.

underrated -

Cat Stevens, a seriously talented musician and writer.

XXtwindad
04-13-2020, 04:40 PM
This may be the only instance in the infinite annals of the entirety of “overrated/underrated band” debates that one of the most overrated bands ever praised (directly, on record forever, to the sound detriment of the ears of infinite generations of listeners, and in their typical inimitable pretension and triteness) one of the most underrated bands ever in one of that most overrated bands’ most overrated songs* ever:
"Now, Muscle Shoals has got the Swampers
And they've been known to pick a song or two
Lord, they get me off so much
They pick me up when I'm feeling blue
Now, how 'bout you?"
But, to their minor credit, at least LS occasionally knew a good band when they heard one.

*For further proof, a truly great underrated’s thoughts on the matter:
“Zevon apparently hated "Sweet Home Alabama" and referred to it as "that dead band's song". He surmised that those who listen to it only do so because their own lives are miserable, and his views on the song are articulated in "Play It All Night Long", which appears on his 1980 album Bad Luck Streak in Dancing School.”

Haha. This is hysterical. Touché. Although every time they tell me to “turn it up” I do ..

Bob Ross
04-13-2020, 05:11 PM

It never occurred to me that the Grateful Dead was "about" drugs.*

What I've long surmised, based on listening to a modest amount of both their studio recordings and live concert bootlegs, and reading interviews with the bandmembers, is that their music was "about" their own inflated beliefs that the things which were of interest to them both musically and culturally/socio-politically were somehow infusing their music with a substance which in fact Wasn't. Actually. There.

In short: They thought their tunes were The Schidt, when in fact they were simply Schidt.

*Their fans on the other hand...

My favorite Grateful Dead Joke:
Q: What did the Dead fan say after the LSD wore off?
A: "Hey, this music sucks!"

rst72
04-13-2020, 05:29 PM
Underrated - Really Red...80s hardcore out of Houston

Teaching You The Fear is one of the best and often overlooked punk albums: https://youtu.be/E0uDKE7pBoc

wc1934
04-13-2020, 06:39 PM
It never occurred to me that the Grateful Dead was "about" drugs.*

What I've long surmised, based on listening to a modest amount of both their studio recordings and live concert bootlegs, and reading interviews with the bandmembers, is that their music was "about" their own inflated beliefs that the things which were of interest to them both musically and culturally/socio-politically were somehow infusing their music with a substance which in fact Wasn't. Actually. There.

In short: They thought their tunes were The Schidt, when in fact they were simply Schidt.

*Their fans on the other hand...

My favorite Grateful Dead Joke:
Q: What did the Dead fan say after the LSD wore off?
A: "Hey, this music sucks!"

You are so wrong on so many levels - Did you catch your wife sleeping with a deadhead?

gbcoupe
04-13-2020, 06:50 PM
Just saw Richard Thompson for the first time (finally!) a couple of months ago. So great.

Holding tickets for King Crimson in Glens Falls in June. This show will probably get cancelled, but holding out hope for the moment.

Not sure how many times I've seen RT... amazing, every time.

I've only seen King Crimson once. Really good show. The closest scheduled tour stop to me is on a Wednesday and a little over an hour away. If it happens, probably going to have to pass. Hope you get to see them.

Red Tornado
04-13-2020, 06:54 PM
I'm sure I'll get some abuse over this one, but in the overrated column....

Van Halen w/Sammy Hagar. I couldn't stand that iteration of the band. Never was a fan of the red rocker either on his own or with Van Halen.
IMO things started to go south with 1984. Eddie wanted to add the synth, David Lee Roth wanted to keep rockin'. The purest form of the band for me is pre-1984 DLR, Eddie, Alex & Michael Anthony.
I know Van Hagar was commercially successful, but for me, it was an abomination.

Blue Jays
04-13-2020, 06:56 PM
Underrated:
PJ Harvey...or sometimes stylized to pj harvey.
She is terrific. So catchy. Great tunes.

gbcoupe
04-13-2020, 06:57 PM
A sober Replacements - Underrated
The Replacements the other 90% of the time - Overrated

That's spot on.

gbcoupe
04-13-2020, 07:00 PM
Just sticking to someone not mentioned.

underrated -

Cat Stevens, a seriously talented musician and writer.

Don't know that he was ever underrated, but agree with the rest.

XXtwindad
04-13-2020, 07:25 PM
Underrated:

Great call! “Stories from the City. Stories from the Sea.” All-time classic.
You’re two for three! Can’t really say Tom Petty is underrated :)

jamesdak
04-13-2020, 07:46 PM
Great call! “Stories from the City. Stories from the Sea.” All-time classic.
You’re two for three! Can’t really say Tom Petty is underrated :)

Man I just can't get into her sound. To me the only good thing about that whole album is Thom Yorke.

colker
04-13-2020, 07:54 PM
Also an amazing performance. He was a rock guitar god who may be mentioned with greats like Clapton, Eddie Van Halen (yes) and The Edge, Jimi Hendrix and many more.

Mark Knopfler is on that list too.

He wrote Nothing Compares to You.. which is a masterpiece of a ballad. Prince was a genius.

colker
04-13-2020, 08:01 PM
Overrated_ The Sex Pistols

Underrated_ Alessi Brothers

XXtwindad
04-13-2020, 08:30 PM
He wrote Nothing Compares to You.. which is a masterpiece of a ballad. Prince was a genius.

Totally agree. I was wondering when you were going to weigh in ...

rst72
04-13-2020, 08:33 PM
Underrated:

Musicians consider her a massive talent...I don’t think she’s underrated at all, but she doesn’t get the praise or attention she deserves from the larger audience.

I saw her last tour was was completely blown away at her talent and stage presence. Her band was amazing...several of whom play with Nick Cave...another massive talent. Don’t miss Nick Cave if he plays your town.

charliedid
04-13-2020, 08:43 PM

A better pop tune may never be written. I got to see him and many other bands at First Ave 1982-84

To be clear, which I wasn't the link is to When You were Mine.

https://youtu.be/HEugh8DWQqA

Elefantino
04-13-2020, 09:29 PM
"Bare Trees" is for me the quintessential F.M.

rustychisel
04-13-2020, 10:00 PM
Kerrrrrrrrr.... ist

How long have you got.

I agree or disagree with nearly everything written so far, nearly, but here's the truth.

Every band who ever had a killer night onstage is under-rated and every band who ever had a dud night is over-rated. So that's all of them covered, right?

F'rinstance: never had any time for Graeme Parker (& the Rumour) but saw him do a solo show which I will never ever forget. Same for Springsteen, though my partner is a massive fan. Saw the E-Street in Melbourne 1985 and life has never been the same; they were beyond compare (and I still don't like Springsteen to this day). Midnight Oil, Adelaide Uni 1981. Bullet la Volta, die Melkweg Amsterdam 1990, Rollins Band, Old Lion Adelaide 1995 etc etc

On the other hand: fell asleep at two different Jeff Buckley concerts (you think I woulda learned) and rate Dead Kennedy's as the worst band I ever ever had the misfortune to see. And Dire Straits. And Tina Arena.

The best and the worst in one rolled up bundle?
Elvis Costello & The Attractions
Thebarton Theatre Adelaide circa 1988: played 40 minutes, Costello said not a word, walked off stage. Dull, lifeless and not worth being there.
A Day On The Green, Tanunda, Barossa Valley circa 2005: played 3 1/2 hours including 2 encores and a chocolate wheel 'punters choice'. Light, bright engaging and thoroughly fantastic.

Blue Jays
04-13-2020, 10:05 PM
"...I saw her last tour was was completely blown away at her talent and stage presence. Her band was amazing...several of whom play with Nick Cave...another massive talent. Don’t miss Nick Cave if he plays your town..."

Agreed. Would really love to see Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds one day.

jtbadge
04-13-2020, 10:08 PM
Underrated:

A couple I haven't seen mentioned yet, what's wrong with ya'll? ;)

Porcupine Tree and all of Steven Wilson's body of work.
Concrete Blonde and here again Johnette's other projects, Pretty and Twisted, solo work, etc.

Overrated:
Beatles
Grateful Dead
90% of the crap on the radio today.....

Steven Wilson rules, good call. Been a huge fan for 15 years or so at this point, stoked for another total reinvention with the coming album. Expertly written songs and always backed by a killer band live. The Guthrie Govan + Marco Minneman lineup a few years ago was transcendent.

OTOH I think the Beatles are somehow underrated even with all of the accolades they have received in the last half century.

bob59
04-13-2020, 10:41 PM
Gov't Mule - Thorazine Shuffle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4s4hW-oGZ0

marciero
04-14-2020, 04:57 AM

OTOH I think the Beatles are somehow underrated even with all of the accolades they have received in the last half century.

The thing that is underrated about the Beatles is the musicianship. Even Ringo Starr.

marciero
04-14-2020, 04:58 AM
Underrated: The Beach Boys

Overrated: Velvet Underground

bthornt
04-14-2020, 05:59 AM

I agree that the Velvet Underground is overrated, but I think Lou Reed's Rock and Roll Animal is a great live album, and 4 of the 5 songs on it are Velvet Underground songs (Sweet Jane, Heroin, White Heat/White Light, and Rock and Roll). The guitar work by Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner is great.

martl
04-14-2020, 06:11 AM
Anyone who think Prince is overrated is on crack. Most underrated and misunderstood musician in a generation.

Watch his performance at the R&R HOF on While My Guitar Gently Weeps to see a snippet of what he could do.

This, and the Superbowl show too. Not an instrument he didn't master, influential in the career of so many other musicians, prolific in so many genres, and seen live a force of nature, nothing less.
I rather question Michael Jacksons status. He was a very good singer and a brilliant performer although mostly in the super-scripted way i call "Disney-Las Vegas Show style". But he had other people writing songs and and arrange them (Quincy Jones) a lot of the time, and many of his work didn't introduce much new stuff but was just brilliantly executed mainstream - i'd compare him to Robbie Williams in that regard.

"I don't care for their music" is something different than a band being overrated imo. I don't like Reggae very much and i don't listen to a lot of 60ies/70ies rock, but i would not call Clapton, the Beatles, the Stones, Bob Marley or Yes overrated.

to continue the list of underrated bands:

Fates Warning
Killing Joke
Skunk Anansie

colker
04-14-2020, 07:08 AM
This, and the Superbowl show too. Not an instrument he didn't master, influential in the career of so many other musicians, prolific in so many genres, and seen live a force of nature, nothing less.
I rather question Michael Jacksons status. He was a very good singer and a brilliant performer although mostly in the super-scripted way i call "Disney-Las Vegas Show style". But he had other people writing songs and and arrange them (Quincy Jones) a lot of the time, and many of his work didn't introduce much new stuff but was just brilliantly executed mainstream - i'd compare him to Robbie Williams in that regard.

"I don't care for their music" is something different than a band being overrated imo. I don't like Reggae very much and i don't listen to a lot of 60ies/70ies rock, but i would not call Clapton, the Beatles, the Stones, Bob Marley or Yes overrated.

to continue the list of underrated bands:

Fates Warning
Killing Joke
Skunk Anansie

Michael Jackson was a brilliant dancer and highly influential in this whole wave of street dancing which is a huge part of pop culture right now. Bu7t he was also a gifted musician and able to bridge white and black, worldwide audiences like no one else before and after. On top of this his songs/recordings are soo good: Billie Jean? Thriller? Michael Jackson was big in a way no one ever was before and hardly will be again.

colker
04-14-2020, 07:16 AM

The Velvet Underground alone created the indie rock department of popular culture. John Cale is brilliant. Lou Reed is a master lyricist who brought adult complex street scenes to rock music. Not even Dylan did that in the way Lou did.
The Velvet style of slow, quiet and desperate is the imprint for so many artistic creation not only in music..

colker
04-14-2020, 07:18 AM
Underrated_ Art Garfunkel.
Overrated_ Tina Turner.

colker
04-14-2020, 07:27 AM
Problem w/ these lists it is mostly about taste and not value. I can´t stand listening to Metallica but that does not mean they are gifted artists.
There are a few, very few artists which are mostly made of hype. The majority has huge talent and everybody is underrated for so much we can´t see even w/ the high exposure of pop culture.

jamesdak
04-14-2020, 07:27 AM
Steven Wilson rules, good call. Been a huge fan for 15 years or so at this point, stoked for another total reinvention with the coming album. Expertly written songs and always backed by a killer band live.

I got in the BluRay/CD pack of Steven Wilson Home Invasion: In Concert at the Royal Albert Hall last Friday. Absolutely amazing and Ninet's voice goes so well with Steven's.

I've searched and spent way too much over the years hunting down all the Porcupine Tree stuff in true surround sound that I could find. He's such a master at bringing the music alive!

saab2000
04-14-2020, 07:32 AM
But he had other people writing songs and and arrange them (Quincy Jones) a lot of the time, and many of his work didn't introduce much new stuff but was just brilliantly executed mainstream - i'd compare him to Robbie Williams in that regard.

I would actually love to see Robbie Williams. I was living in Europe during the '90s and early '00s when a bunch of boy bands popped up, including Take That. Robbie Williams then took off on his own because he was actually much more talented than his band mates, who weren't bad either.

He doesn't seem to take himself too seriously and refers to himself as an entertainer much more than an artist, which I think is accurate. And he has a set of pipes. The man has range and a great voice.

And he's not a horrible golfer either. :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWD7Z_-I-8Q

jamesdak
04-14-2020, 07:32 AM
Underrated_ Art Garfunkel.
Overrated_ Tina Turner.

I have to admit that I heard Tina live back in 1987 (I think) over in Karlsruhe, GE. Was downtown that night hanging in the park by the Schloss as she rocked the stadium nearby. It was pretty damn awesome. :banana:

charliedid
04-14-2020, 08:03 AM
Problem w/ these lists it is mostly about taste and not value. I can´t stand listening to Metallica but that does not mean they are gifted artists.
There are a few, very few artists which are mostly made of hype. The majority has huge talent and everybody is underrated for so much we can´t see even w/ the high exposure of pop culture.

I agree,

In reality there isn't enough room in the music/entertainment industry for all the talent that exists. The internet a la Youtube has changed that a bit but only a percentage out of any pool will turn something into an actual career.

No shortage of hot **** players in the world that's for sure.

Plum Hill
04-14-2020, 09:22 AM
In the same vein: overrated - Eagles; underrated - Poco.

Underrated:
The BoDeans
The Skeletons/Morells. Best darn bar/cover band ever.
Steve Goodman
All those local bands that keep plugging away for the love of music.

XXtwindad
04-14-2020, 10:14 AM

I know a few serious “musicologists.” They all respect The Beach Boys. Particularly Brian Wilson.

Hindmost
04-14-2020, 10:29 AM
"Bare Trees" is for me the quintessential F.M.

I struggle when we talk about the best album or group or best performer or musician. When I look over the candidates here back come memories of where and when I heard these and what was the seeming importance at the time.

Bare Trees: four friends driving down the mountain in a Volkswagen bus after a January day of cross-country skiing to the edge above Yosemite Valley.

Cat's Cradle: six people laying about tiny cabin living room on a Tahoe summer evening listening on a cheesy stereo in rapt silence that continues after the album ends.

saab2000
04-14-2020, 10:37 AM
Underrated:
The BoDeans

Longtime BoDeans man here. I saw them during my first year in college in Wisconsin and I don't think there were 20 people in attendance. They left an impression and I'm always glad to hear them. Saw them again at Summerfest in Milwaukee many years ago and they were indeed impressive. Lots of energy and very tight musically.

I know a few serious “musicologists.” They all respect The Beach Boys. Particularly Brian Wilson.

I have also heard this. Growing up I remember hearing the Beach Boys and always enjoyed them but never thought of them as anything more than a 'Boy Band' singing cheesy bubble gum pop songs about girls and surfing. But over the years I've heard more and more people with an actual knowledge of music and theory saying, no, their music was truly groundbreaking stuff and Pet Sounds is often listed as one of the best and most "Important" albums in Rock and Roll history.

YouTube videos about them and their studio sessions are plentiful and worth a watch for fans of music.

grateful
04-14-2020, 10:42 AM
I listened to a podcast on the creation of Pet Sounds. The music is timeless but what was fascinating is the obsession (perfection) of Brian Wilson. I now listen to it differently that I did pre-podcast.

Pet Sounds is an amazing work whether you like The Beach Boys or not. Listen close and you will continue to discover nuances you had no idea existed in your previous listen. This continues every time you listen.

Brilliant.

QUOTE=XXtwindad;2696557]I know a few serious “musicologists.” They all respect The Beach Boys. Particularly Brian Wilson.[/QUOTE]

jlwdm
04-14-2020, 10:43 AM

I am a fan of the old Fleetwood Mac blues band. I saw them live twice at Eagles Auditorium. It was festival seating - in other words sit on the floor.

First time the guitarists were Peter Green and Jeremy Spencer. Danny Kirwan had joined the band the second concert.

I think two of the guitarists joined religious groups/cults.

Jeff

OtayBW
04-14-2020, 10:51 AM
First time the guitarists were Peter Green and Jeremy Spencer. Danny Kirwan had joined the band the second concert.

I think two of the guitarists joined religious groups/cults.

I'm a charter member...:D

trener1
04-14-2020, 12:58 PM

Now you have my attention :banana:

Tavarez
04-14-2020, 01:03 PM
Underrated: The Zombies, The Byrds
Overrated: The Monkees

OtayBW
04-14-2020, 01:22 PM
underrated: The zombies, the byrds
overrated: The monkees+1000

Frankwurst
04-14-2020, 02:19 PM
Just trying to keep things positive.

"Over rated and Under Rated Bands" and "Top 100 Bands of X" always tend to come across as negative.

I feel like "Such and such is overrated" and "Genre X sucks!" is way more a fan/listener thing.. the positivity among players/bands is pretty amazing in comparison.

Once again I agree. over rated and under rated are nothing more than opinions. There have been many times in my life when a band took a song I thought I didn't like and made me go wow that sounds good. There are alot of bands that wouldn't be my first choice to listen to but still have played music I enjoy. Give me a band or group of players where the music is tight and everybody is busy, I'm all ears.:beer:

colker
04-14-2020, 07:11 PM
Dis anyone mention Beach Boys? Behind the smiles and the innocence you find one of the most brilliant minds of pop music.. Brian Wilson. Just watch the recordings of Good Vibrations on Youtube: the song is made of three different sections w/their own dynamics. It´s a small symphony and yet it keeps the unpretentious pop nature. The Beach Boys were progressive before anyone thought of being progressive. And then you have something sublime like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWPo5SC3zik

The Beach Boys are on a class of their own. The Beatles tried to get there on Sargent Pepper but it´s impossible to reach the zenith of Pet Sounds.

XXtwindad
04-14-2020, 07:13 PM
Dis anyone mention Beach Boys? Behind the smiles and the innocence you find one of the most brilliant minds of pop music.. Brian Wilson. Just watch the recordings of Good Vibrations on Youtube: the song is made of three different sections w/their own dynamics. It´s a small symphony and yet it keeps the unpretentious pop nature. The Beach Boys were progressive before anyone thought of being progressive. And then you have something sublime like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWPo5SC3zik

The Beach Boys are on a class of their own. The Beatles tried to get there on Sargent Pepper but it´s impossible to reach the zenith of Pet Sounds.

Several times. Check the previous page :)

colker
04-14-2020, 07:14 PM
Several times. Check the previous page :)

This is pure genius: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVlSVkzbJDA

colker
04-14-2020, 07:22 PM
The mother of all pop rock music. Phil Spector and his wall of sound. Be My Baby. Brian Wilson didn´t know what to do when he listenned for the first time while driving. He stopped the car on the side of the road and just listenned to the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrVbawRPO7I

bthornt
04-15-2020, 10:18 AM
The mother of all pop rock music. Phil Spector and his wall of sound. Be My Baby. Brian Wilson didn´t know what to do when he listenned for the first time while driving. He stopped the car on the side of the road and just listenned to the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrVbawRPO7I

Do you think he was tripping his a** off at the time?

XXtwindad
04-15-2020, 10:21 AM
https://www.yfbspod.com/episodes-a-z

Might be a fitting coda to the thread. Their take on the Clash "The definition of a punk band for Beatles fans." Ouch. Joe Strummer, wherever you are, you're still tops in my book …

charliedid
04-15-2020, 10:33 AM
https://www.yfbspod.com/episodes-a-z

Might be a fitting coda to the thread. Their take on the Clash "The definition of a punk band for Beatles fans." Ouch. Joe Strummer, wherever you are, you're still tops in my book …

Given that these questions/conversations are all just mostly self congratulatory for our own personal taste is music, I may have to agree with your friend's position.

Matthew
04-15-2020, 12:12 PM
Overrated : Eminem. Every song is the same. And why is he so angry? The song Dance Monkey. Her voice and annunciation. Just not good. 99.9% of all of today's pop music. Garbage. Underrated : Bowling for Soup, Seether, Papa Roach, Tool.

GOTHBROOKS
04-15-2020, 12:44 PM
nu metal as a genre is completely overrated. are you a grown ass man listening to papa roach? a band whos demographic is 14-21?

hellvetica
04-15-2020, 12:46 PM
Welcome back!

djg21
04-15-2020, 12:47 PM
+1000

Not sure you can call the Byrds underrated. But I don’t know what “underrated” means here. Not appreciated by music critics? Album sales? Fan support?

Sweetheart of the Rodeo, from The Byrds’ Gram Parsons days, is one of the seminal country rock/Americana albums and is a classic. It wasn’t well received by critics when released, but has endured and is now considered a classic. Even without Gram, the main lineup of the Byrds with McGuinn, Clark, Hillman, Clarke, and Crosby was very successful and has been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The Flying Burrito Brothers, which evolved out of the Byrds, was an awesome band that never was wildly successful but is now considered incredibly influential.

One of the most underrated bands, IMO, is NRBQ (the Live from Yankees Stadium lineup with Terry Adams, Big Al Anderson, Joey Stampinato and Tom Ardolino). Loved by the critics, incredible live performances (spend my highschool days seeing them regularly at Toad’s Place), but never big enough to play stadiums or large venues. In essence, they never became anything more than the world’s greatest bar band. https://youtu.be/7Xgr_8qxeq4

Most overrated band? I’m not sure what this means. KISS sold a lot of albums and still has a following, but sucked and wasn’t considered to be much by music critics. AC/DC is horrible but still has a large following. I never got Van Halen or Sammy Hagar, either separately or together. I could go on. But taste is subjective.

charliedid
04-15-2020, 01:01 PM
Given that these questions/conversations are all just mostly self congratulatory for our own personal taste is music, I may have to agree with your friend's position.

Of course that should really be seen as a compliment from The Clash's point of view. I'm certainly a fan of both.

What is punk rock...

OtayBW
04-15-2020, 01:11 PM
Not sure you can call the Byrds underrated. But I don’t know what “underrated” means here. Not appreciated by music critics? Album sales? Fan support?

Sweetheart of the Rodeo, from The Byrds’ Gram Parsons days, is one of the seminal country rock/Americana albums and is a classic. It wasn’t well received by critics when released, but has endured and is now considered a classic. Even without Gram, the main lineup of the Byrds with McGuinn, Clark, Hillman, Clarke, and Crosby was very successful and has been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The Flying Burrito Brothers, which evolved out of the Byrds, was an awesome band that never was wildly successful but is now considered incredibly influential.

One of the most underrated bands, IMO, is NRBQ (the Live from Yankees Stadium lineup with Terry Adams, Big Al Anderson, Joey Stampinato and Tom Ardolino). Loved by the critics, incredible live performances (spend my highschool days seeing them regularly), but never big enough to play stadiums or large venues. In essence, they never became anything more than the world’s greatest bar band. https://youtu.be/7Xgr_8qxeq4

Most overrated band? I’m not sure what this means. KISS sold a lot of albums and still has a following, but sucked and wasn’t considered to be much by music critics. AC/DC is horrible but still has a large following. I never got Van Halen or Sammy Hagar, either separately or together. I could go on. But taste is subjective.Well - first of all, the Byrds and all of their incarnations from early to Clarence White/Gene Parsons/Skip Batten/Roger McGuinn to Sweethart and Gram and the Burritos were and are some of the most influential musicians in MY life. They're all still in regular rotation in my truck. That said, although they were wildly influential in retrospect, 1) they were never accepted by the 'mainstream country establishment', and 2) they were never really that popular in the day, but yet they retain this cult stature. But yeah - it's a tough call: overrated or underrated....

djg21
04-15-2020, 01:23 PM
Well - first of all, the Byrds and all of their incarnations from early to Clarence White/Gene Parsons/Skip Batten/Roger McGuinn to Sweethart and Gram and the Burritos were and are some of the most influential musicians in MY life. That said, although they were wildy influential, 1) they were never accepted by the 'mainstream country establishment', and 2) they were never really that popular in the day, but retain this cult stature. Yeah - it's a tough call: overrated or underrated.

That’s my point. Anything that sounds like a reincarnation of Gram Parsons is good by me. If you haven’t listened to it, the Return of the Greivous Angel Tribute Album is really great. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDj-sxPv9KJ2yRkHXBKfY6Ukfm-LcM_yY. I love the version of Grievous Angel sung by Lucinda Williams and Davis Crosby.

To add some controversy as to what I consider to be a wildly over-rated band — U2. i remember listening to Boy and War when those albums came out and thinking it interesting. But they never changed and every song they ever released sounds exactly the same, with the 2:2 beat of marching music.

OtayBW
04-15-2020, 01:52 PM
That’s my point. Anything that sounds like a reincarnation of Gram Parsons is good by me. If you haven’t listened to it, the Return of the Greivous Angel Tribute Album is really great. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDj-sxPv9KJ2yRkHXBKfY6Ukfm-LcM_yY. I love the version of Grievous Angel sung by Lucinda Williams and Davis Crosby.

To add some controversy as to what I consider to be a wildly over-rated band — U2. i remember listening to Boy and War when those albums came out and thinking it interesting. But they never changed and every song they ever released sounds exactly the same, with the 2:2 beat of marching music.
Oh yeah - I've got that. I started playing steel guitar (among other things) years ago largely because of Pete Kleinow and the guys who played on the Sweetheart CD, so yes, anything Gram is Otay By Me!

Matthew
04-15-2020, 02:13 PM
As a matter of fact I am a grown ass man that likes Papa Roach. What's the problem with that? I highly doubt there are many teens listening to them. 21 year old's may be though. They put on a great live show too. So being 52, what should I be listening to? And what's on your list?

GOTHBROOKS
04-15-2020, 02:38 PM
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/MpA2HVftSFntl9HhmhlQA3MEjIU=/0x0:1409x785/1200x800/filters:focal(622x252:846x476)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/55701647/Screen_Shot_2017_07_13_at_1.09.20_PM.0.png

daker13
04-15-2020, 02:55 PM
The Velvet Underground alone created the indie rock department of popular culture. John Cale is brilliant. Lou Reed is a master lyricist who brought adult complex street scenes to rock music. Not even Dylan did that in the way Lou did.
The Velvet style of slow, quiet and desperate is the imprint for so many artistic creation not only in music..

Skipping around this thread and trying to imagine a musical world in which the Velvet Underground would be considered "overrated."

To me, overrated is when people (critics, etc.) are always telling you how great a band is, and you still hate their music. Kanye West is like that for me. I remember reading a thread across the hall a few years ago where some guy was saying that if you didn't recognize Kanye West's Bach-like genius, you had no business listening to music. (This is what bad teachers tell high school students about Shakespeare.)

One band I consider overrated is Arcade Fire. I guess their music never clicked for me.

fignon's barber
04-15-2020, 03:09 PM
Overrated: Jenifer Lopez
U2 (post 2001)

Underrated: The National
Big Thief

Matthew
04-15-2020, 03:28 PM
So in 12 pages in this thread you have the biggest problem with Papa Roach? Ok.

rain dogs
04-15-2020, 03:30 PM
Just reading through some of these. I'm not big on listing overrated because most times when people say that, or I say it, it should translate into "I don't get it". When I think KISS for example maybe is overrated... maybe better I just don't get it.

Like... someone... or a few said Zeppelin is overrated? That's shear misunderstanding. Not solely just from the musicianship which is in a class of its own, but especially production, experimentation, arrangement everything. You may think they are overplayed or you don't like them...but if someone feels that way they should watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCN97ZS7Ax4

I mean, there are few bands where you can legitimately talk about each of the members as being one of the very best of all time at their craft. Drums - Bonham, Bass - JPJ, Guitar - Page and Vocals - Plant. And the sum much greater than the parts...

Underrated: pretty much any project by Spencer Krug with exception of Wolf Parade. Specifically Sunset Rubdown.

I could add: Godspeed You! Black Emperor, but they'd probably prefer to leave it that way.

JStonebarger
04-15-2020, 03:56 PM
I would never have called him underrated until I read 12 pages of this without mention of David Bowie. And for that matter, I could say the same about Tom Waits.

pjm
04-15-2020, 04:20 PM
I’ll stick with underrated, and I’m all over the place here as far as different styles go. Just off the top of my head:
Gentle Giant
Squeeze
Renaissance
XTC
Scritti Politti
Dixie Dregs
Kid Creole and the Coconuts
Bruce Coburn
Jonatha Brooke
and lots, lots more.

djg21
04-15-2020, 04:59 PM
I would never have called him underrated until I read 12 pages of this without mention of David Bowie. And for that matter, I could say the same about Tom Waits.

Tom Waits is one of my heros. I was introduced to him in Washington Square Park as a teenager by my uncle, now deceased, who used to work at the Bottom Line in the Village where Tom played. I had no idea who Tom was. My uncle brought me back to his apartment and put Heartattack & Vine on his stereo. I was hooked and have been a fan ever since.

If you’re not a fan yet, listen to the VH1 storytellers concert. Follow the link on this page: https://aquariumdrunkard.com/2013/09/24/the-complete-tom-waits-storytellers-unedited/. Then go watch his appearances on Letterman. His “Free the Glutens” appearance is a classic. https://youtu.be/DIC4pfnoNhI. If not a musician, the man would be a stand-up comedian and the banter at his shows reflects that. There are a bunch of his live performances available to download or stream at http://greggrant.org/tomwaits/download_moved.html.

As to under-rated, I agree that he has remained largely a cult artist, but that cult is pretty big, and he has received critical acclaim and is the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. His songs are covered by virtually everyone, and everyone knows at least some of his music, even if they only know the Bruce Springsteen, or Eagles, or Rod Stewart, or Ramones, or Van Halen, or Scarlett Johansson (not joking) . . . versions.

I’m currently reading a Waits Biography and going through all of his music on a chronological basis as I read about them in the book. I’ve been on this bender for that past few months. I wish he would play on the east coast again, but I don’t think that will be happening. He’s a performer who I never had the opportunity to see live, and I really regret that. If he plays in LA again, I am on a plane and going.

Gsinill
04-15-2020, 05:17 PM
Overrated (i.e. I don't like):

Neil Young - ABSOLUTELY can't stand that voice
Rush - probably never got stoned enough to appreciate them
Nora Jones - sleeping pill
James Taylor - anesthesia
Ted Nugent - no comment

Underrated:

Nick Cave
Sufjan Stevens
Antlers
Cigarettes After Sex
Sharon Van Etten

Jaybee
04-15-2020, 05:27 PM
Every time I put on Wilco I wonder why I don't listen to them more often.

marciero
04-15-2020, 06:02 PM
Well - first of all, the Byrds and all of their incarnations from early to Clarence White/Gene Parsons/Skip Batten/Roger McGuinn to Sweethart and Gram and the Burritos were and are some of the most influential musicians in MY life. They're all still in regular rotation in my truck. That said, although they were wildly influential in retrospect, 1) they were never accepted by the 'mainstream country establishment', and 2) they were never really that popular in the day, but yet they retain this cult stature. But yeah - it's a tough call: overrated or underrated....

You can hear Clarence White in the playing of every Nashville guitarist that came after. And we're not talking subtle influence-it's huge. But no, "drug store truck drivin head of the kkk" didnt quite hit a chord with middle america.

OtayBW
04-15-2020, 06:08 PM
You can hear Clarence White in the playing of every Nashville guitarist that came after. And we're not talking subtle influence-it's huge. But no, "drug store truck drivin head of the kkk" didnt quite hit a chord with middle america.Haha! No, Ralph ("this one's for you Ralph") Emory didn't care too much for them. But you're right, Clarence White was a phenom!

marciero
04-15-2020, 06:14 PM
Haha! No, Ralph ("this one's for you Ralph") Emory didn't care too much for them. But you're right, Clarence White was a phenom!

I think that NOW, the importance of that record as the first country rock record (though it skews heavily country) is pretty universally recognized. The recent Ken Burns documentary Country Music spent some time on it.

OtayBW
04-15-2020, 06:25 PM
I think that NOW, the importance of that record as the first country rock record (though it skews heavily country) is pretty universally recognized. The recent Ken Burns documentary Country Music spent some time on it.
Yeah, I agree, they spawned the genre which now is largely centered around a niche crowd as alt-country or Americana which is thriving, but bearing less and less to what is now commercial country music these days (that's a good thing!). They recently released a reissue of the entire album featuring Lloyd Green and Jay Dee Maness, the two steel players on the original. If you're into that kind of thing, it's very good.

cgolvin
04-15-2020, 06:50 PM
I am shocked -- SHOCKED -- to discover that on this topic there is not universal consensus in the paceline. Still, the thread's a fun way to waste some minutes.

It's too hard for me to answer the OP's challenge, so just some thoughts after digesting the thread.

Among those listed as underrated the one that gets my strongest vote is Frank Zappa. Amazing musician and band leader (as in, surrounding himself with talented players)…if you've never listened to One Size Fits All, or even just Inca Roads, you should. You might not like it, who knows. @tbike4, I look forward to riding together just to hear the random Zappa quote. And who is the member with the descriptor "The Central Scrutinizer"? He's on your wavelength, I'm guessing.

Despite their extremely short life and billing as the first super group, Blind Faith seems underappreciated to me.

And whoever mentioned Joe Farrell…what a rat hole to crawl down (don't get me wrong, I love Joe Farrell). Where to start? Booker Ervin? Mal Waldron? Ron Carter? oh my

Bob Ross
04-15-2020, 06:57 PM

Yeah? I'm fine with the voice...the thing that really gets my goat is when folks start championing his guitar playing. Geebus freekin christmas if I wanted to listen to remedial directionless pentatonic noodling I would dig up some old tapes of my band from when I was 13-years-old.

But holy crap can he write a poignant song...

OtayBW
04-15-2020, 07:10 PM
Yeah? I'm fine with the voice...the thing that really gets my goat is when folks start championing his guitar playing. Geebus freekin christmas if I wanted to listen to remedial directionless pentatonic noodling I would dig up some old tapes of my band from when I was 13-years-old.

But holy crap can he write a poignant song...HAR! Well said! [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

pjm
04-15-2020, 07:14 PM

Ted Nugent - no comment

Underrated:

Nick Cave
Sufjan Stevens
Antlers
Cigarettes After Sex
Sharon Van Etten

Huge Rush fan here and I never smoked a joint in my life.:cool:

Web1111a
04-15-2020, 08:27 PM
[QUOTE=efixler;2695638]Just saw Richard Thompson for the first time (finally!) a couple of months ago. So great.

Where did you see him?

msplette
04-15-2020, 09:09 PM
Every time I put on Wilco I wonder why I don't listen to them more often.

I was supposed to be at a Wilco show tonight.

djg21
04-15-2020, 10:07 PM
I was supposed to be at a Wilco show tonight.

Where? Tweedy has been live-streaming from his home almost every night. https://www.theculturefiles.com/the-tweedys-instagram-live-show-starring-jeff-tweedy/. I last saw Wilco at last summer’s Solid Sound festival. I’ve been at every one and they are always great.

marciero
04-16-2020, 05:06 AM

But holy crap can he write a poignant song...

I know! To think that he was the "lead guitarist" in a band with Stephen Stills... Though granted, Stills is more a musician, all around guitarist than a soloist. I would bet anything that NY is on the Guitar Player magazine list of 100 greatest guitarists, along with Kurt Cobain, assuming that GP still does that, or even still exists

marciero
04-16-2020, 05:14 AM
[QUOTE=efixler;2695638]Just saw Richard Thompson for the first time (finally!) a couple of months ago. So great.

Where did you see him?

His guitar playing is underrated even among RT fans.

msplette
04-16-2020, 07:22 AM
Where? Tweedy has been live-streaming from his home almost every night. https://www.theculturefiles.com/the-tweedys-instagram-live-show-starring-jeff-tweedy/. I last saw Wilco at last summer’s Solid Sound festival. I’ve been at every one and they are always great.

Jackson, Mississippi. About 2.5 hours from me, but that’s about as close as most bands get to where I live. This would have been my first Wilco show, I’ll have to catch them next time they come through the south.

djg21
04-16-2020, 07:29 AM
Jackson, Mississippi. About 2.5 hours from me, but that’s about as close as most bands get to where I live. This would have been my first Wilco show, I’ll have to catch them next time they come through the south.

Assuming we have a vaccine for COVID-19, maybe plan a trip to Solid Sound in 2021. https://solidsoundfestival.com/. It’s in Western Massachusetts in the Berkshires. Very good riding in the area and the weekend is always great. Wilco is really fun live.

efixler
04-16-2020, 07:56 AM

Where did you see him?

At Daryl's Place in Pawling, NY, which is owned by the Hall of Hall & Oates. Richard Thompson apparently lives in NJ these days.

jamesdak
04-16-2020, 08:01 AM
Well, just to throw this out there. I spent over two hours Wednesday night constantly streaming one PJ Harvey song after another as I processed photographs. I honestly find her voice get's on my nerves in over half of the songs and only found a very small number even likable. So for me she's not underrated at all. At least I tried to understand why others like her...:confused:

XXtwindad
04-16-2020, 09:36 AM
Tom Waits is one of my heros. I was introduced to him in Washington Square Park as a teenager by my uncle, now deceased, who used to work at the Bottom Line in the Village where Tom played. I had no idea who Tom was. My uncle brought me back to his apartment and put Heartattack & Vine on his stereo. I was hooked and have been a fan ever since.

If you’re not a fan yet, listen to the VH1 storytellers concert. Follow the link on this page: https://aquariumdrunkard.com/2013/09/24/the-complete-tom-waits-storytellers-unedited/. Then go watch his appearances on Letterman. His “Free the Glutens” appearance is a classic. https://youtu.be/DIC4pfnoNhI. If not a musician, the man would be a stand-up comedian and the banter at his shows reflects that. There are a bunch of his live performances available to download or stream at http://greggrant.org/tomwaits/download_moved.html.

As to under-rated, I agree that he has remained largely a cult artist, but that cult is pretty big, and he has received critical acclaim and is the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. His songs are covered by virtually everyone, and everyone knows at least some of his music, even if they only know the Bruce Springsteen, or Eagles, or Rod Stewart, or Ramones, or Van Halen, or Scarlett Johansson (not joking) . . . versions.

I’m currently reading a Waits Biography and going through all of his music on a chronological basis as I read about them in the book. I’ve been on this bender for that past few months. I wish he would play on the east coast again, but I don’t think that will be happening. He’s a performer who I never had the opportunity to see live, and I really regret that. If he plays in LA again, I am on a plane and going.

Well, I learned something new today. On another note, if I'm in the mood to dissolve into a weeping puddle of nostalgia (and that mood hits quite frequently these days, unfortunately), all I have to do is listen to "Martha." Does the trick every damn time.

XXtwindad
04-16-2020, 09:43 AM

Ted Nugent - no comment

Underrated:

Nick Cave
Sufjan Stevens
Antlers
Cigarettes After Sex
Sharon Van Etten

Does anyone actually like Neil Young's voice? He's in the "Bob Dylan" camp, right? Both those guys would get kicked off "The Voice" in a heartbeat. That's not where their talents lay.

And, if I'm stuck in a traffic jam on the 580 (which, post-Covid will almost never happen) what is one of the classic rock songs that I hope WILL come on the radio? "Tom Sawyer." Neil Peart was a drummer's drummer. And a pretty fine lyricist.

benb
04-16-2020, 09:45 AM
I'm noticing a lot of "any artist who understands simplicity is overrated" in these comments.

Sometimes there's genius in knowing when to be simpler.

Blue Jays
04-16-2020, 09:53 AM
"...Does anyone actually like Neil Young's voice? He's in the 'Bob Dylan' camp, right?
Both those guys would get kicked off 'The Voice' in a heartbeat. That's not where their talents lay.

And, if I'm stuck in a traffic jam on the 580 (which, post-Covid will almost never happen) what is one of the classic rock songs that I hope WILL come on the radio? 'Tom Sawyer.' Neil Peart was a drummer's drummer. And a pretty fine lyricist..."

Jim Morrison of The Doors likely fancied himself more of a poet than a true vocalist, one would imagine. LOL.

For a great automobile-inspired traffic jam RUSH tune, another iconic song is "Red Barchetta" from their 1981 album.

:banana:

Web1111a
04-16-2020, 09:36 PM
At Daryl's Place in Pawling, NY, which is owned by the Hall of Hall & Oates. Richard Thompson apparently lives in NJ these days.

I heard that is a cool place to see music

I didn’t know he is in NJ

Was he solo

efixler
04-16-2020, 09:45 PM
I heard that is a cool place to see music

I didn’t know he is in NJ

Was he solo

It’s a good venue. Was my first time there.

He played part of the set solo part with a woman singer who I think is is his wife or partner.

He did a really sweet tribute to Sandy Denny and was quite funny.

eddief
04-16-2020, 09:48 PM
Traffic. As in Low Spark of High Healed Boys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQRuu_PghAk

"The Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys"

If you see something that looks like a star
And it's shooting up out of the ground
And your head is spinning from a loud guitar
And you just can't escape from the sound
Don't worry too much it'll happen to you
We were children once, playing with toys
And the thing that you're hearing is only the sound
Of the low spark of high-heeled boys

The percentage you're paying is too high priced
While you're living beyond all your means
And the man in the suit has just bought a new car
From the profit he's made on your dreams
But today you just read that the man was shot dead
By a gun that didn't make any noise
But it wasn't the bullet that laid him to rest
Was the low spark of high-heeled boys

If you had just a minute to breathe
And they granted you one final wish
Would you ask for something like another chance?
Or something sim'lar as this?
Don't worry too much it'll happen to you
As sure as your sorrows are joys
And the thing that disturbs you is only the sound
Of the low spark of high-heeled boys

The percentage you're paying is too high priced
While you're living beyond all your means
And the man in the suit has just bought a new car
From the profit he's made on your dreams
But today you just read that the man was shot dead
By a gun that didn't make any noise
But it wasn't the bullet that laid him to rest
Was the low spark of high-heeled boys, high-heeled boys

If I gave you everything that I owned
And asked for nothing in return
Would you do the same for me as I would for you?
Or take me for a ride
And strip me of everything, including my pride
But spirit is something that no one destroys
And the sound that I'm hearing is only the sound
Of the low spark of high-heeled boys, heeled boys

Jaybee
04-17-2020, 12:22 PM
Cake is getting it done for me today. I guess our musical preferences do start to consolidate from ages 14-20.

WNC rider
04-17-2020, 01:41 PM
underrated: Michael Nesmith

overrated: Billie Eilish

blindwilly
04-17-2020, 01:51 PM
Underrated:
Can
John Fahey
Television

Overrated:
Bruce Springsteen
Joy division

cmg
04-17-2020, 02:02 PM
"Does anyone actually like Neil Young's voice? He's in the "Bob Dylan" camp, right? Both those guys would get kicked off "The Voice" in a heartbeat."

Every singer on "the Voice" sounds the same, same tempo, same drivel. There is a scene in "A Quiet Place" where Neil Young's Harvest Moon gets played, slows the movies tempo, so appropriate. So yea, like them both. Can't imagine someone on "The Voice" singing It's alright Ma. The judges wouldn't get it.

Jeff N.
04-17-2020, 02:17 PM
Does anyone give any attention to The Voice? I mean, really....

snah
04-17-2020, 02:22 PM
Does anyone actually like Neil Young's voice? He's in the "Bob Dylan" camp, right? Both those guys would get kicked off "The Voice" in a heartbeat. That's not where their talents lay.

And, if I'm stuck in a traffic jam on the 580 (which, post-Covid will almost never happen) what is one of the classic rock songs that I hope WILL come on the radio? "Tom Sawyer." Neil Peart was a drummer's drummer. And a pretty fine lyricist.

Also for a stuck in traffic tune, try the first side of RUSH 2112, about 30 minutes of classic rock heaven.

Gsinill
04-17-2020, 02:29 PM

I honestly don't even know what that is...

Jeff N.
04-17-2020, 02:35 PM
I honestly don't even know what that is...
Be thankful.

efixler
04-17-2020, 04:58 PM
Underrated:
Can
John Fahey
Television

Overrated:
Bruce Springsteen
Joy division

Can: Obscure, maybe, but underrated? I dunno.

John Fahey: Sure :)

Springsteen: Definitely.

Joy Division: Disagree but New Order DEFINITELY

——

While in this musical vein I’ll add:

Underrated: The Fall, Lee Perry

Overrated: Pavement, Bob Marley

efixler
04-17-2020, 05:01 PM
Wrt Neil Young:

Underrated: Trans
Overrated: Live Rust

Seramount
04-17-2020, 05:19 PM
not sure listing some uber-obscure group than 99.9999% of the public has never heard as 'underrated' means much.

Bob Ross
04-17-2020, 05:24 PM
Okay, after 15 pages I think I have a handle on what we're talking about, let me try:

Overrated: Mission of Burma

Underrated: Mission of Burma

charliedid
04-17-2020, 05:31 PM
Okay, after 15 pages I think I have a handle on what we're talking about, let me try:

Overrated: Mission of Burma

Underrated: Mission of Burma

Hey Bob,

Close...but.

I think you meant

Overrated: Swans

Underated: Swans

I think we are finally getting somewhere with this.

Seramount
04-17-2020, 05:32 PM

a friend of mine was in a local jam band that played great sets of funk/blues/rock. some adept musicians with great chemistry...spent many evenings listening to them gig at area bars.

but then...they acquired a winner of the 'The Voice' to be their vocalist...their sound now sucks balls. can't stand the guy's voice and the band totally changed their approach to accommodate his style.

so, eff The Voice.

gbcoupe
04-17-2020, 05:35 PM
Underrated:
Can
John Fahey
Television

Overrated:
Bruce Springsteen
Joy division

Thank you!

Someone finally mentioned Springsteen! After I posted, I thought why the hell didn't I list Springsteen? I'd gladly trade (or add) the Eagles for Springsteen on my list for overrated.

efixler
04-17-2020, 06:39 PM
Hey Bob,

Close...but.

I think you meant

Overrated: Swans

Underated: Swans

I think we are finally getting somewhere with this.

MoB and Swams are both overrated unless you saw them live. They each have 2 good recorded tracks.

Jeff N.
04-17-2020, 06:56 PM
Still wondering where Billy Joel fits in here.

charliedid
04-17-2020, 07:03 PM
MoB and Swams are both overrated unless you saw them live. They each have 2 good recorded tracks.

LOL I have seen them both live on more than one occasion.

Rock N Roll

charliedid
04-17-2020, 07:07 PM
Still wondering where Billy Joel fits in here.

I count myself as a fan.

Nothing matters

djg21
04-17-2020, 09:55 PM
Well, I learned something new today. On another note, if I'm in the mood to dissolve into a weeping puddle of nostalgia (and that mood hits quite frequently these days, unfortunately), all I have to do is listen to "Martha." Does the trick every damn time.

Martha, Tom Traubert’s Blues, Ruby’s Arms, there’ are just too many. Tom has a way with sad songs.

Tavarez
04-17-2020, 10:29 PM
Can: Obscure, maybe, but underrated? I dunno.

John Fahey: Sure :)

Springsteen: Definitely.

Joy Division: Disagree but New Order DEFINITELY

——

While in this musical vein I’ll add:

Underrated: The Fall, Lee Perry

Overrated: Pavement, Bob Marley

Hahaha Pavement ripped off The Fall, by their own admission, with Slanted and Enchanted.

I think there is something to be said about Scratch Perry being under-appreciated but saying Bob Marley is overrated is like saying reggae is overrated because Marley in many ways transcends reggae.

bironi
04-18-2020, 12:47 AM
under appreciated, but great:

Small Faces

given too much attention:

Would make my head throb sifting thru the long collection, and why remind ourselves.

Bob Ross
04-18-2020, 11:59 AM
but then...they acquired a winner of the 'The Voice' to be their vocalist...their sound now sucks balls. can't stand the guy's voice and the band totally changed their approach to accommodate his style.

A more positive success story along similar lines: Check out the band District 97 (http://www.district97.net/) from Chicago. They were a dyed-in-the-wool prog-rock band who somehow hooked up with a singer who was a top-ten finalist from American Idol (!) ...and yet the synergy is remarkable. Ms. Vocalist has the chops, range, and power to execute their difficult, thorny (and arguably pretentious) melodies with seeming ease, and yet manages to never come off sounding like a reality TV show outcast.

I'm sure they're the exception that proves the rule, but it's nice to know it's at least possible to escape from those hideous TV shows with some talent and integrity intact.

saying Bob Marley is overrated is like saying reggae is overrated because Marley in many ways transcends reggae.

Philosophical question for late-night stoned debate: Did Bob Marley really "transcend reggae" or was he simply the touchstone, the most visible point-person during the time that reggae culture transcended reggae music?

OtayBW
04-18-2020, 12:23 PM
One of the lesser known, but not underrated blues guitarists of all time is Magic Sam (Maghett). He exemplified the West Side sound of Chicago blues (and soul) along with Otis Rush in the late '50s and early '60's. Very different than the South Side sound that was big at the time.

He talks at first. Start at ~0:45 sec.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S5DGqCfk8o

martl
04-18-2020, 12:59 PM
Does anyone actually like Neil Young's voice? He's in the "Bob Dylan" camp, right?

:) Name one Bob Dylan song which didn't get better when someone covered it? Can think of none

blindwilly
04-18-2020, 01:14 PM
Underrated: Michael Hurley
O.v. Wright

XXtwindad
04-18-2020, 01:17 PM
:) Name one Bob Dylan song which didn't get better when someone covered it? Can think of none

I once did a karaoke cover of GNR covering Dylan’s “Knocking on Heaven’s Door.” It was universally panned.

pooneej
04-18-2020, 01:21 PM
Subjective but :
Underrated - Bouncing Souls

wc1934
04-23-2020, 08:24 AM
I know! To think that he was the "lead guitarist" in a band with Stephen Stills... Though granted, Stills is more a musician, all around guitarist than a soloist. I would bet anything that NY is on the Guitar Player magazine list of 100 greatest guitarists, along with Kurt Cobain, assuming that GP still does that, or even still exists

Should be - Totally underrated - not bad for guy who suffers from polio and has limited use of his left arm.

William
04-29-2020, 01:32 PM
So underrated most of you have never heard them...:)

https://media.giphy.com/media/5bwUzCwDJCfgA/giphy.gif

W.

Mike V
04-29-2020, 01:56 PM
All Along the Watchtower- Jimmy Hendrix
WAY better!

GOTHBROOKS
04-29-2020, 02:29 PM
hanoi rocks kick so much ass but fit closer to the johnny thunders/new york dolls sound than the hair metal they got lumped into.

XXtwindad
09-27-2020, 09:35 PM

- Nick Cave -

Listening to a podcast interview with Flea today. I remembered this quote and had to laugh. Irony, perhaps.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.guitarworld.com/amp/news/red-hot-chili-peppers-bassist-flea-calls-nick-cave-greatest-living-songwriter

https://www.radio.com/music/alternative/flea-pays-tribute-to-nick-cave-i-am-so-happy-he-exists

fijichf
09-27-2020, 10:20 PM

So true...I’ve always thought that Dylan should have given royalties to the Indigo Girls for their cover of Tangled Up In Blue.

Jeff N.
09-28-2020, 07:34 AM
Overrated: Springsteen, Journey, RHCP.
Underrated: Supertramp.
Favorite band of all time: The Doors.

oldpotatoe
09-28-2020, 07:43 AM
Overrated: Springsteen, Journey, RHCP.
Underrated: Supertramp.
Favorite band of all time: The Doors.

What is wrong with the audience..they look like they are all gonna fall asleep...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agwMwbmMNbk

GREAT movie, BTW-Not Part Deux..

Jeff N.
09-28-2020, 09:05 AM
What is wrong with the audience..they look like they are all gonna fall asleep...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agwMwbmMNbk

GREAT movie, BTW-Not Part Deux..A buncha high school kids, looks like.

fkelly
09-28-2020, 04:41 PM
I saw Richard Thompson at least once every year since 1993 ... up until Covid. I don't know if he's underrated or overrated and I'm sure he doesn't give a rat's butt. Brilliant: heck, the guy learned Greek just so he could read Homer in the original.

Composition wise there are similarities with Townes ... simplicity and elegance combined. "Living on the road my friend, was going to make you free and clean/now you wear your face like iron/ your breath as hard as kerosene". In a league with Dylan for lyrics. And maybe Barry Mcguire in Eve of Destruction.

How about Yo Yo Ma? Heard him play 5 Bach Cello Concertos totally without music or notes straight through and flawless. And Emerson String quartet and Joshua Bell.

I'm a lifelong DeadHead too.

reuben
09-28-2020, 05:07 PM
I saw Richard Thompson at least once every year since 1993 ... up until Covid. I don't know if he's underrated or overrated and I'm sure he doesn't give a rat's butt. Brilliant: heck, the guy learned Greek just so he could read Homer in the original.

Composition wise there are similarities with Townes ... simplicity and elegance combined. "Living on the road my friend, was going to make you free and clean/now you wear your face like iron/ your breath as hard as kerosene". In a league with Dylan for lyrics. And maybe Barry Mcguire in Eve of Destruction.

How about Yo Yo Ma? Heard him play 5 Bach Cello Concertos totally without music or notes straight through and flawless. And Emerson String quartet and Joshua Bell.

So, so many good bands, singers, players, orchestras.

Before the virus hit I was on a two year binge of seeing a lot of acts before they quit the road or just plain died.

Stephen Stills, Judy Collins, Emmylou Harris, Rick Wakeman, Jon Anderson, Lucinda Williams, Tom Jones (he crushed it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIO8z4yOA8w)), Richard Thompson, Steve Earle, Robert Earle Keen, Peter Rivera, Little Feat, Creedence Clearwater (Revisited)... Not to mention a bunch of smaller acts, local and elsewhere.

Symphonic concerfs have been tough lately. There have been funding and pay issues, and that was before the virus hit.

My usual music trips to Mississippi and Louisiana were cancelled.

Then there's the international stuff. Mdou Moctar, Alsarah and the Nubatones, Le Vent du Nord...

saab2000
09-28-2020, 05:17 PM
Overrated: RHCP. But they’ve taken their act to the bank, so good for them.

Underrated: The Monkees. Recently heard an Alec Baldwin interview with Micky Dolenz. Fascinating stuff. All members were pretty talented, not just pretty faces. Chosen for actual musical ability. Worth a search. He doesn’t take their pop music as seriously as some people take their own pop music, but the story is quite interesting.

Also underrated: Hall and Oates.

XXtwindad
09-28-2020, 05:33 PM
Overrated: RHCP. But they’ve taken their act to the bank, so good for them.

Underrated: The Monkees. Recently heard an Alec Baldwin interview with Micky Dolenz. Fascinating stuff. All members were pretty talented, not just pretty faces. Chosen for actual musical ability. Worth a search. He doesn’t take their pop music as seriously as some people take their own pop music, but the story is quite interesting.

Also underrated: Hall and Oates.

Anyone who holds their nose and says “Early 80s Cheese” should see Live From Darryl’s House.”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GoXxdObGKuI

martl
09-28-2020, 05:36 PM
Hall an Oates rock, period. I dont care who rates them. Also in this line, Saga and Toto :)

Frankwurst
09-28-2020, 05:52 PM
Anyone who holds their nose and says “Early 80s Cheese” should see Live From Darryl’s House.”

Agreed. More Cheese.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al3tRlzOREg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn4G-hE7JsE

wc1934
09-28-2020, 06:40 PM

You sound like a guy I would definitely ride with and talk music non-stop - and then have a few shots of tequila :)

charliedid
09-28-2020, 06:44 PM

Hall an Oates rock, period. I dont care who rates them. Also in this line, Saga and Toto :)

Agreed. More Cheese.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al3tRlzOREg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn4G-hE7JsE

I've watched a bunch of those and all of these in the past. Most are really good and some are stellar. Sorry but Wagon Wheel was a GD train wreck thanks to Darryl. Can't win em all.

LaGrange is a song that's impossible not to like and that version was outstanding.

barnabyjones
09-28-2020, 07:12 PM
Underrated: Prince