PDA

View Full Version : Good bikepacking/lightweight sleeping bags

Mikeys
04-11-2020, 11:04 PM
Have plans this summer for a multi-day bike camping trip. I have a great, lightweight, small packable one from REI. However it’s been discontinued and I need something similar for someone else. If I remember correctly, mine was labeled as a sleeping bag liner but it’s quilted and great for 50*> weather by itself. Anyone know of a good bag like this for around $100?

doomridesout
04-12-2020, 12:05 AM
It's more than $100, but I've really liked my Sierra Designs Backcountry Bed. Nice design, fairly light. Good for warmer nights.

marciero
04-12-2020, 05:35 AM
The first bikepacking bag I got was a Wiggy's which I got from Rivendell. They dont seem to have them anymore but the company is out there still. It's rectangular so simple, comfortable, reasonably packable, and cheap. I just checked and they have a "Slumber Bag" that looks similar to what I have and it is on sale for $90.

For packability, warmth, weight, you cannot high quality beat goose down.
I have a couple of Western Mountaineering. They seem to be the gold standard. Their lightest in their ultralight series are a little over the top, with either half-length zipper or really narrow mummy style. But they pack down to a water bottle size. I usually splurge a little on sleep comfort and go with a semi-rectangular bag.

zambenini
04-12-2020, 05:59 AM
If you have a $100 budget, I would scope secondhand down and spend $10 on the special down wash, or look at LaFuma a discount but decent brand. I have a down LaFuma 30-deg. I paid less than $100 and it's still going ten years out. I wouldn't personally spend my dollars on a bag other than down. Just not worth carrying around.

floxy1
04-12-2020, 06:27 AM
I have an REI flash bag that I’ve used a few times for bike packing and loved it. Also has been discontinued. I imagine REI still has a similar one just under a new name?

proxient
04-12-2020, 11:55 AM
this would be fine for warm temps, 45 or higher
https://seatosummitusa.com/collections/cold-weather-sleeping-bag-liner/products/thermolite-reactor-fleece-liner

Dead Man
04-12-2020, 12:48 PM
If you have a $100 budget, I would scope secondhand down and spend $10 on the special down wash, or look at LaFuma a discount but decent brand. I have a down LaFuma 30-deg. I paid less than $100 and it's still going ten years out. I wouldn't personally spend my dollars on a bag other than down. Just not worth carrying around.

lafuma! they still making bags?? they were an outstanding cheap bag maker about 20 years ago... packed down well and light weight. didnt last very long, with any real use, and you had to store em hanging up to get any decent life out of em, but for less than $100 (think i was finding em for like $50-60 in the early aughts) for a passably technical bag, no complaints

im planning an extended bike pack myself, and will have to google for em lafumas again.

typically, lightweight packable stuff is not cheap. tents thatll hold up to real use, stoves that dont consume all your packing space, sleeping bags, lightweight raingear thatll both hold up and not drench you in your own sweat - i mean its typically a good $400/each item (cept the stoves) on the used market on climbing and hiking boards.. and then the bike and touring setups with racks and tires i have zero experience with, etc... stuff... yea, gonna be looking for help from you bros to keep the budget reasonable. post forthcoming.

zambenini
04-12-2020, 12:54 PM
Check ebay! They may not be marketing them in the US anymore. I will speak up for mine - saw a decent amount of use actually. I would still happily take out in the summer when it's not that cool at night. I will admit (closer to 15 years out from when I bought it now, actually) that if I needed to stay warm I would grab my other bag. There is a "down outlet" in Burlington, VT I bought another one from. They might sell online, idk.

gdw
04-12-2020, 01:59 PM
Some basic but important questions. What temperatures do you anticipate encountering on your trip? Is your friend an experienced camper? Will they be using a tent, tarp or just sleeping under the stars? Are they a hot or cold sleeper? Do you now what extra layers they are planning to bring?

AngryScientist
04-12-2020, 02:22 PM
one thing is for sure, a bag and layers are something you want to try and get right. i have spent a few night shivering all night, in and out of sleep, and it sucks.

it would be the difference between a noob having a great experience in the woods and one they will never want to repeat.

macgee
04-12-2020, 04:32 PM
I do a lot of ultra light hiking in the mountains and the new general consensus to use a quilt type down bag instead of the traditional sleeping bag to save weight.

You combine your sleeping pad and quilt together. For 50 degrees you can find a comfortable quilt that only weighs 12 oz ($$$). Also weight greatly depends on your size and sleeping style. I'm tall, wide and side sleeper so I need a larger than normal quilt, hence more weight.

I think REI charges a lot for the bags they sell compared to the smaller cottage companies. Also don't be afraid to buy a second hand down quilt, they're easy to wash and have a long life span.

Here in the states, there is a thriving new cottage size business of making down quilts and you should look into that to learn more. Amazing quality from Little House of Hammocks, UGQ Outdoor, Enlightened Equipment, Nunatak, HammockGear....etc but there're not $100

To fit your budget, I would look into the Ice Flame 20D quilt for $100-ish, depending where you get it. Many people have bought them on AliExpress without any problems.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32947386631.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000060.1.45ba13 891ZUtT5&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller&scm=1007.13339.146401.0&scm_id=1007.13339.146401.0&scm-url=1007.13339.146401.0&pvid=90afce90-de65-4c99-8096-10ba2929625c

Also, Mass Drop (drop.com) have a lightweight down quilt for around $100 I think it was from Enlightened EQ., rated lower but 50 is probably much more realistic. https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-pine-down-blanket

Mikeys
04-13-2020, 09:43 AM
I think I’ve found what I’m looking for thanks to this. Thanks for all the time. Trying to do a bikepacking trip assuming we can. Last time I carried all the weight.

cinema
04-13-2020, 09:47 AM
if that aliexpress bag is the real deal it is an incredible value. I think I paid 250-300 ish for my 20F enlightened quilt which I wouldn't give up for the world. it looks pretty similar

macgee
04-13-2020, 02:09 PM
I think I’ve found what I’m looking for thanks to this. Thanks for all the time. Trying to do a bikepacking trip assuming we can. Last time I carried all the weight.

What did you end up going with?

For others, here's a video of the Ice Flame 20. It's Spanish but he does a lot of gear videos, forward to half way to see the quilt.

https://youtu.be/FqX06aGrirQ

There's also vids of the Drop Pine Quilt but doesn't look as good.

Enlighten is a better bag and you pay big for it, a lot of the asian quilts are narrower and shorter than in the stated specs, the down is not 850 and while the Enlighten use 10D fabric, this one is most likely 20D hence heavier than the Enlighten or other US made cottage quilts.

Having said that, you cant argue the price. Prices recently have really gone up with local made quilts due to the huge demand and increased price of good down ($12/oz). Even seeing 2nd hand ones selling fast for $350.

Dude
04-13-2020, 02:43 PM
Aegismax is a brand that I've seen in the "cheap, almost ultralight" conversation a lot. Can be found on Amazon and produced under other generic names. I don't have any personal experience but I went camping with a friend of mine, he bikepacked in, I backpacked in. He had about 10 nights in the bag and said it was comfortable to about 50f degrees but other than that it's was "good enough."

macgee
04-13-2020, 03:09 PM
Aegismax is a brand that I've seen in the "cheap, almost ultralight" conversation a lot. Can be found on Amazon and produced under other generic names. I don't have any personal experience but I went camping with a friend of mine, he bikepacked in, I backpacked in. He had about 10 nights in the bag and said it was comfortable to about 50f degrees but other than that it's was "good enough."

Aegismax is a good mention and they make a lot of bags, I have had one and returned it after arriving way smaller than spec'd; also not as ideal using with sleeping pad as the Ice Flame as they don't have the attachments, so some mods will be needed to be done to get the most out of it.
Its highly recommended to wash the (asian) bag when it arrives to remove all the down dust and increase loft. You don't have to do this to a US made cottage made quilt.

PS> I have Aegismax down hood (for sub freeze temps) that is excellent with very good loft and better than the quilt, so its a hit and miss.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49770700116_9c2abf8565_w.jpg

verticaldoug
04-13-2020, 03:37 PM
https://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=14003&p_id=2321180

I have used Montbell sleeping bags for 20 years. I prefer their burrow bags which are the synthetic insulation. I spent a lot of time in wet/damp weather and always had better luck than down which is harder to dry.

Dead Man
04-13-2020, 03:47 PM

I have used Montbell sleeping bags for 20 years. I prefer their burrow bags which are the synthetic insulation. I spent a lot of time in wet/damp weather and always had better luck than down which is harder to dry.

yup. damp down is almost worthless. much lighter, warmer, more packable, and longer lasting... but i only do down in -temps. im pretty sure a wet synthetic bag saved my life, one time... if id been packing a down bag im pretty sure i wouldnt have made it to morning

charliedid
04-13-2020, 04:01 PM

Yep

macgee
04-13-2020, 04:10 PM

MontBell is an excellent company, if not one of the very best with phenomenal products. Love there down jackets and shells. I also highly recommend this company but there just only now starting to make quilts.

UGQ is now making a USA made synthetic quilt that is almost half the weight (19oz) and more compact of the Montbell for same/better temp rating for just a little more money.

https://ugqoutdoor.com/top-quilts/synergy-bandit/

Having said that, Montbell is highly desired/cherished clothing in the Ultra light hiking and mountaineering communities. But were digressing from the OT

AngryScientist
04-13-2020, 04:14 PM
hi macgee

can you talk a little more about the quilt thing vs the bag?

it seems counter intuitive to me that you can have a warmer night without a full bag.

is it entirely dependent on the quality of your ground pad then?

having spent a few night shivering myself to non-sleep, i'm curious!

charliedid
04-13-2020, 04:16 PM
MontBell is an excellent company, if not one of the very best with phenomenal products. Love there down jackets and shells. I also highly recommend this company but there just only now starting to make quilts.

UGQ is now making a USA made synthetic quilt that is almost half the weight (19oz) and more compact of the Montbell for same/better temp rating for just a little more money.

https://ugqoutdoor.com/top-quilts/synergy-bandit/

Having said that, Montbell is highly desired/cherished clothing in the Ultra light hiking and mountaineering communities. But were digressing from the OT

They make excellent stuff. Patagonia owes a lot to them.

macgee
04-13-2020, 05:15 PM
hi macgee

can you talk a little more about the quilt thing vs the bag?

it seems counter intuitive to me that you can have a warmer night without a full bag.

is it entirely dependent on the quality of your ground pad then?

having spent a few night shivering myself to non-sleep, i'm curious!

No problem but bear in mind everyone sleeps differently. You're spot on about using a good sleeping pad, I highly recommend using a higher R rated pad that is typically used when using a quilt. Many people complain about being cold with a quilt because they don't use a good R rated sleeping pad or have a high size quilt.

The premise of using a quilt is that the insulation used on the bottom of a typical sleeping bag is wasted because you're laying on it/crushing it destroying its ability to provide warmth especially if you have a good R rated sleeping pad. I use Exped (Swiss made) sleeping pads, I love them, very comfortable, quiet and typically have the best R ratings for weight and excellent warranty.

So with removing the unneeded insulation and shell material on the bottom, your gain is much less weight and a more compact bag for same temp rating. You sleep directly on your sleeping pad. Another plus is flexibility of a quilt for wide range of temps especially when it warmer out (summer), you can just lay the quilt over you like a duvet or cinch it up when your cold; also can vent your feet or close off the foot box if you buy a zipper or snap foot box quilt. A sewn footbox will be slightly lighter, slightly warmer and compact but much less flexible.

The trick is finding a good combination of quilt and sleeping pad that fits you and sleeping style. Finding a quilt with a good strap attachment system to sleeping pad is the key to staying warm and comfortable. Having too narrow a quilt will also be drafty/cold challenge. You need to be careful while shopping around for quilts as quilts were first used/adopted by hammock campers, they use a much narrower width quilt than a ground sleeper. The majority of the "off the shelf "quilts are made for the hammock community and typically too narrow for ground sleepers and don't have the attachment points for straps to sleeping pads but thats an easy mod. to add. Good width for grounder sleepers is 55+" wide. Also important: Get a longer quilt when going with a zippered foot box compared to a sewn foot box; They're measured differently.

Using a quilt is a very good concept for bike camping, it makes sense as they're lighter and more compact when packing into panniers. Using quilts below freezing gets more complicated but still very doable. When biking and sleeping in 40+ degree weather, it's really worth trying out.

Going down or synthetic definitely depends on the typical climate conditions where you camp and type of shelter you're using. Synthetic is heavier, much less compacting and has a shorter life but for sure better/warmer in wet climates than normal down bags however there is now new down with DryLoft or DriDown that really helps protect down from moisture but you pay a lot more for it.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49770509123_d7f446af7a_c.jpg
Zipper footbox and sewn shut footbox.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49771042656_662cbfa359.jpghttps://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49771368127_29fe4aafe0_z.jpg

Mikeys
04-13-2020, 06:29 PM
I actually already went with the Aegismax before the recommended post. This is just going to be a summer bag. Mostly trips in southern California in the summer/fall/spring. Also not used often, so I'll get something better if it turns into a year round thing. Not concerned about dampness for this purchase.

What did you end up going with?

For others, here's a video of the Ice Flame 20. It's Spanish but he does a lot of gear videos, forward to half way to see the quilt.

https://youtu.be/FqX06aGrirQ

There's also vids of the Drop Pine Quilt but doesn't look as good.

Enlighten is a better bag and you pay big for it, a lot of the asian quilts are narrower and shorter than in the stated specs, the down is not 850 and while the Enlighten use 10D fabric, this one is most likely 20D hence heavier than the Enlighten or other US made cottage quilts.

Having said that, you cant argue the price. Prices recently have really gone up with local made quilts due to the huge demand and increased price of good down ($12/oz). Even seeing 2nd hand ones selling fast for $350.

AngryScientist
04-13-2020, 06:32 PM
The premise of using a quilt is that the insulation used on the bottom of a typical sleeping bag is wasted because you're laying on it/crushing it destroying its ability to provide warmth

thank you for the detailed response!

this bit makes good sense to me and i hadnt thought about that before.

my current sleeping kit works OK, but not really "comfortable" - i may look into some options.

thanks again for taking the time to type that out, good info!

macgee
04-13-2020, 06:48 PM
I actually already went with the Aegismax before the recommended post. This is just going to be a summer bag. Mostly trips in southern California in the summer/fall/spring. Also not used often, so I'll get something better if it turns into a year round thing. Not concerned about dampness for this purchase.

Cool, be sure to post some pics of it and give us your opinion of the bag when you get it. If not washing it first, I would recommend to throw it in the drier with no heat, just air with tennis balls to help increase the loft and remove the loose down dust.

macgee
04-13-2020, 06:52 PM
thank you for the detailed response!

this bit makes good sense to me and i hadnt thought about that before.

my current sleeping kit works OK, but not really "comfortable" - i may look into some options.

thanks again for taking the time to type that out, good info!

No problem, I definitely sleep way better now, almost like my bed using a quilt and the new light thick sleeping pads. It made a massive difference compared to sleeping in a cramped mummy bag and leaking, thin pad.

Mikeys
04-13-2020, 08:20 PM
Cool, be sure to post some pics of it and give us your opinion of the bag when you get it. If not washing it first, I would recommend to throw it in the drier with no heat, just air with tennis balls to help increase the loft and remove the loose down dust.

I look forward to doing so with photos of Catalina island camping moments with bison, big dirt climbs, and beach views. We’ll see.