PDA

View Full Version : Campy WTOs

YesNdeed
04-10-2020, 05:55 PM
Anyone have them? Likes/dislikes? I'll hopefully be getting some new or new to me wheels in the coming month or so, and have long figured Enve SES 3.4s would be the ones. But I really like what I've read about the WTO 45s.

The only Campy wheels I've ridden were older Vento wheels. And even for a heavy wheel set, they had a distinctive ride which I liked.

Duende
04-10-2020, 09:36 PM
I have the latest road model 3.4's, the WTO 45's, and Bora 35's for reference.

Recovering from an injury, so I haven't put as many miles on the 45's as I'd like, but my impressions thus far are...

The 45's feel a hair stiffer and a hair more aero possibly than the 3.4's. The biggest noticeable difference between the two being the torque response of the G3 spoke lacing pattern and the campy hubs. That being said, the 3.4's feel maybe a hair more comfortable. But besides the spokes and hubs.. take the rest with a grain of salt. YMMV.

The 35's are my favs for sure... but they are rim brakes. The hubs on the 35's seem to roll better to me than the 45's for some reason.

Lastly, the 45's might catch the crosswinds a bit more than the 3.4's but they are deeper rims too so...

I use the 3.4's as my gravel wheels and the 45's as my road wheels on my Mosaic all road/gravel bike. Super happy with the setup. If you're looking for a deal.. you really couldn't go wrong with either. I do much prefer the G3 lace up pattern though.. I think it really does help.

my .02

YesNdeed
04-10-2020, 10:50 PM
Good info, thanks. These will be an all around, rim brake, tubeless setup. So the WTO 33s are also of interest. It's a bit of a dilemma between aero and weight...but isn't it always. I'll commit to whatever I get, but right now there are some deals on WTO 45s. Also a factor.

The Tesa tape I use (love it) weighs in at about 10g/wheel, and it looks like I won't need it on WTO wheels. Worth mentioning.

Velocipede
04-10-2020, 11:30 PM
I had a pair of 3.4's, never liked them. Too noisy. Hated the braking on them and the King hubs added to the noise. Switched to a pair of Bora 50's and couldn't be happier for that. I've also ridden 35's, WTO 45's, Shamal Mille and Shamal Ultras. I'm super happy with Campy wheels. Never had an issue and there's no noise.

uber
04-11-2020, 05:32 AM
I have never tried the WTO's. I have owned 3.4's and Campy Bora in 35's and 50's all in tubular rim. Between those, I would take the 50's every day. Faster, marginally heavier than the 35's and they look better too. 3.4's had crappy braking surfaces. A close call between Bora 50's and Enve 4.5's but I would still give the nod to Campy. I never was riding the 50's and wishing I was instead on the 35's. Always the other way around. Unless i lived in the mountains and had to deal with crazy cross winds on descents, I would go deeper.

Elefantino
04-11-2020, 07:15 AM
Zondas. :D :eek:

Dave
04-11-2020, 07:41 AM

I have to agree. Unless you're competing at a high level, what's the point in megabuck wheels, with zondas so cheap and reliable? Not currently considered tubeless though.

Tickdoc
04-11-2020, 08:19 AM
I've got both....an old (2012) set of non smart enve 3.4's and a new set of WTO 45's, both rim brake, and the WTO's are vastly superior in the looks, fit, finish, ease of use, quality of materials department. I love the little bit of shine to them and the hub design is gorgeous. My only complaint with the WTO's is the brake noise is pretty loud...kinda like a siren. That can be a plus in a group as it alerts everyone else you are braking, but I don't like loud wheels when coasting or braking. But they stop, by God!

The enve's I have with the smooth brake track only stop lightly in the dry and forget about it in the wet, regardless of pad used. My enve's have also had a difficult time keeping a bead seated with most tires. Love the dt swiss hubs on my enve's..they have been extremely reliable and easy to service.

Love my WTO's. I feel like these wheels will be reliable and still fast for years to come.

tomato coupe
04-11-2020, 08:50 AM

It’s way too early in the day to start drinking.:)

lavi
04-11-2020, 09:19 AM
I had Enve SES 4.5s for 4 years. Very good and I liked them.

I now have WTO 45s. No comparison really. Not bad mouthing the Enves....but I'm very satisfied with the WTOs. I'd highly recommend.

And yes, the braking is VERY good. As good as alloy. Yes, they make sound...but I like it.

jpritchet74
04-11-2020, 10:13 AM
I've got both....an old (2012) set of non smart enve 3.4's and a new set of WTO 45's, both rim brake, and the WTO's are vastly superior in the looks, fit, finish, ease of use, quality of materials department. I love the little bit of shine to them and the hub design is gorgeous. My only complaint with the WTO's is the brake noise is pretty loud...kinda like a siren. That can be a plus in a group as it alerts everyone else you are braking, but I don't like loud wheels when coasting or braking. But they stop, by God!

I don't have the WTO's, but I do have a set of Bora One 35's and they are probably my favorite wheels ever. I had that "problem" with the braking using the Campy red pads and did a ton of adjustments (after talking with Campy USA tech support) and finally just put a set of SwissStop Black Prince pads on there and then the braking was perfect and also silent.

To the OP, I have heard a lot of various complaints about Enve wheels over the years, but I have never heard a complaint about the Campy wheels.

OtayBW
04-11-2020, 11:28 AM
I have a new set of WTO 33s sitting in a box rat cheer next to me. Probably will swap out the brake pads and throw on a new set of Corsa G+ 25s today or tomorrow....:banana:

kytyree
04-11-2020, 08:39 PM
Have the Bora One 50's and love them, I really want the WTO's, I might get another frame just for them...man I don't need to do that though

YesNdeed
04-11-2020, 08:51 PM
The scale tips heavily to one direction in this thread. The WTO wheels will undoubtedly go well with the Super Record 12 gruppo I already have, for the new build. Thanks for all the input.

Happy new wheels day, Otay!

ToonaBP
04-12-2020, 11:46 PM
Has anyone tried WTO 33's on a vamoots RSL rim brake frame, which has clearance for 27mm tires? Currently using Hed Belgium C2 rims with 25mm Pro4 tires. Not much room in the FD area... see pic... The WTO's are wider than the C2 rims and I'm not sure they will fit with 700x25 Pro 4's. Might have to go with the Bora 35's....