PDA

View Full Version : Optimal saddle width , bike size, etc

cnighbor1
04-10-2020, 11:16 AM
Optimal saddle width , bike size, etc
When R&A Cycles opened here in Walnut Creek, CA they had an open house, with vendors booth open in the parking lot.
Pinarello booth had a fit section that Optimized saddle width , bike size, etc.
They measure your sit bones, calf length etc. and fed that data into a computer program. It gave idea bike size, saddle size etc. plus it listed the correct bicycle to buy
That to me is a big step forward in getting the correct bike saddle etc
Charles

fa63
04-10-2020, 12:27 PM
I would say yes and no. It is always good to have more tools available to help optimize fit. But at the same time, these programs are often based on correlations that we do not know the accuracy of, and there is pretty much always some deviation around the mean value which the computer program spits out (but no one ever tells us what that deviation is). For example, the program might say your saddle height should be 76 cm, but the actual range might be more like 75 to 77 cm.

That said, there is also something to be said about getting one in the right ballpark, then you can fine-tune from there.

OtayBW
04-10-2020, 12:37 PM
I don't know that I would trust any correlation between my saddle height or reach and my sit bone width. That's best left out of the mix, IMO.

ultraman6970
04-10-2020, 02:57 PM
Lemond formula gives you a number but is always around the number, really rare to find a guy that is right at the spot because of human physiology, they dont know if your balls are way too low, or one of your legs is shorter or if you have a problem somewhere else so the number you get by any means is like a around the spot number, could be upper, could be lower.

A lot of variables that can make a saddle height to change up to an inch. thats why the guy gave you a range to add for those problems, or maybe to they call it standard deviation :P

One of my friends has to sit like a TT bike, the fitter put him there because of a muscle in one of his legs tends to cramp and becomes a ball (dont ask me why, is the only guy i know that has that), so he is seated really high and pretty much all forward. He likes it? yes... i would have gone the opposite.. down and back but well, that's just opinions.

U have the CC tools aswell, that thing never worked for me, im always off for a big chunk.

Krenovian
04-10-2020, 10:57 PM
I had an interesting experience this afternoon. I've always purchased saddles in the 145 mm range because that's been the width recommended by bike shops, different fit systems etc. I ordered a second Bontrager Aeolus Elite saddle in 145 mm width because this model is fairly comfortable for me. By mistake the shop sent me a 155 mm width version. My initial thought was to return it in exchange for the narrower one but I decide to try it out first. There wasn't a big difference between the two but the 155 mm was more comfortable, enough so that I will definitely be keeping it and am considering buying another to replace the 145.

Once again it was driven home for me that when it comes to saddles it doesn't matter what others like or what a fit system recommends, you have to find what works for you. If not for the shop's mistake I might not have ever tried a 155 mm wide saddle.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

rain dogs
04-11-2020, 05:39 AM