PDA

View Full Version : Cargo eBike

Johnnysmooth
04-09-2020, 05:03 PM
Thinking about helping my brother out by getting him an eBike as he can no longer drive. Does anyone here have experience with such and can point me to a couple of brands/bikes to consider.

So far, the Rad Power Cargo bike and Blix Packa are in the running. Like the Tern GSD but its quite pricey.

Features desired:
Good value/bang for buck
Fairly indestructible
Min 30mile range
Can carry about to 250# plus rider
Stable/predictable riding & handling

charliedid
04-09-2020, 05:52 PM
Thinking about helping my brother out by getting him an eBike as he can no longer drive. Does anyone here have experience with such and can point me to a couple of brands/bikes to consider.

So far, the Rad Power Cargo bike and Blix Packa are in the running. Like the Tern GSD but its quite pricey.

Features desired:
Good value/bang for buck
Fairly indestructible
Min 30mile range
Can carry about to 250# plus rider
Stable/predictable riding & handling

Budget?

Rad Power & Blix bikes are not built for the long haul IMO.

I'd look for a used Xtracycle or a Tern but budget can and most certainly plays a roll.

JAGI410
04-09-2020, 06:14 PM
Surly Big Easy or Kona Electric Ute

notsew
04-09-2020, 06:41 PM
I have a Radpower for hauling kids around. The components are commensurate with the price. It is functional though, we've had it a couple years and things are fine. The only thing I changed was the saddle. The only other thing I think really sucks are the brakes, they should be hydro, or something that inspires a bit more confidence. The shifters and such are junk, but you almost never shift so that doesn't matter as much. Also the geo is a little strange to me. I prefer my non-electric Ute, but the radpower allows my wife to haul the kids around.

ORMojo
04-12-2020, 12:12 PM
Bike Friday Ever-E-Day (https://www.bikefriday.com/folding-bikes/ever-e-day-electric-cargo-bike)

Weighs as little as 36 pounds
Capacity up to 385 pounds
65+ mile range (+ $105), swappable battery
Starts at $2,200

Lots of people around here (Eugene, OR, where they are made) swear by Bike Friday's, and I've never heard a complaint.

Johnnysmooth
04-15-2020, 12:33 PM
Bike Friday Ever-E-Day (https://www.bikefriday.com/folding-bikes/ever-e-day-electric-cargo-bike)

Weighs as little as 36 pounds
Capacity up to 385 pounds
65+ mile range (+ $105), swappable battery
Starts at $2,200

Lots of people around here (Eugene, OR, where they are made) swear by Bike Friday's, and I've never heard a complaint.

Thanks, hadn't considered them but always admired their ethics and decent quality builds.

As an additional FYI to thread - bike is fo brother who has some stability issues, both physical and mental. Don't want to spend too much as he also has slight memory loss from stroke several yrs ago

hokoman
04-15-2020, 01:52 PM
There are a lot of good bikes in this category, but they are $$$$. Anytime you add a good electric system to a bike, expect a $1500-$2000 premium, which is a little nuts considering a Radwagon is that much complete.

Johnnysmooth
04-17-2020, 05:14 PM
There are a lot of good bikes in this category, but they are $$$$. Anytime you add a good electric system to a bike, expect a $1500-$2000 premium, which is a little nuts considering a Radwagon is that much complete.

Exactly, hard to justify that big uplift in costs, especially for a brother who, shall I say, is not the most careful...