PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Tooth Pack Hanger Alignment Tool

Veloo
04-09-2020, 09:53 AM
Just came across this with the current deformed hanger activity.
Different option compared to the usual suspects.

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/pack-hanger-alignment-tool

djdj
04-09-2020, 07:52 PM
This is a clever invention I had not seen before.

witcombusa
04-09-2020, 08:23 PM
I would say not as inherently accurate as the tool most use now. Plus all the adapters and other pieces to keep track of.

I'm good with what I've got now thanks...

Veloo
04-20-2021, 03:57 PM
Bump.

Anyone using this Wolf Tooth hanger tool?

Any feedback to offer?

shoota
04-20-2021, 04:30 PM
Why not just get the gold standard and not worry about all those adapters and such?

https://www.parktool.com/product/derailleur-hanger-alignment-gauge-dag-2-2

EnginCycle
04-20-2021, 04:49 PM
Why not just get the gold standard and not worry about all those adapters and such?

https://www.excelsports.com/product-images/large/109307-1.jpg

Fixed it

reuben
04-20-2021, 05:42 PM
Just came across this with the current deformed hanger activity.
Different option compared to the usual suspects.

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/pack-hanger-alignment-tool

There are times when I reveal my age. This is one of them. I have no idea why I might need one of those. Maybe it's an off road thing, which would explain my ignorance.

Carry on...

unterhausen
04-20-2021, 05:50 PM
I saw it and was impressed they thought of a different way of measuring hanger alignment. Having said that, I'm not going to be getting one.

I like the EVT/Shimano design or some variant like the Abbey.
I have the original Shimano design and it could be a little better.

bewheels
04-20-2021, 05:53 PM
There are times when I reveal my age. This is one of them. I have no idea why I might need one of those. Maybe it's an off road thing, which would explain my ignorance.

Carry on...

Hanger alignment tools have been around for many decades. This type is a bit of a newer take but fixes an issue that has been around as the rear derailleur.

Veloo
04-20-2021, 07:10 PM
Your hanger can get bend out of alignment more easily that you'd expect. I was surprised to see my Lynskey was quite out but still shifting OK.

Here's the Park vid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXfvW0L3iLM

Carry on...

zmudshark
04-20-2021, 07:28 PM
I have never owned a bike that couldn't be made better with a DAG.

reuben
04-20-2021, 07:40 PM
I have never owned a bike that couldn't be made better with a DAG.

Well, yeah, if Dag Otto Lauritzen rode my bike I'm sure that it would go faster.

teleguy57
04-20-2021, 08:00 PM
Well, yeah, if Dag Otto Lauritzen rode my bike I'm sure that it would go faster.

Well played.

:beer:

Tandem Rider
04-20-2021, 08:58 PM

I haven't heard that name in a long time. I have memories of seeing him light it up and ride away. Good times!

jimoots
04-21-2021, 12:48 AM
That's quite good especially for off road applications when you're not always dealing with a dead straight rim. Like it.

Mark McM
04-21-2021, 08:03 AM
I guess this new tool had to be invented because other "innovations" have rendered the previous trail-side derailleur alignment method "obsolete".

Back when wheel used threaded steel axles (either solid for nuts or hollow for QR skewers), the rear axle threads were the same derailleur bolt threads (10mm x 1mm). To do a trail-side derailleur hangler adjustment, you'd remove the rear derailleur, and screw a the axle end of a 2nd rear wheel into the hanger. You'd then apply force as necessary to the 2nd rear wheel to bend the hanger until both wheels were parallel. This method no longer works with 12mm through-axles, obviously.

RudAwkning
04-21-2021, 09:40 AM
Fixed it

Re-fixed it :)

unterhausen
04-21-2021, 10:41 AM
The HAG is a great tool, but it's not impossible to bend the shaft if the hanger is stiffer than normal. That seems like the design goal of the current shimano, but it has a pretty impressive price tag. The thing that would bother me is having the pointer off center. Is there a detent? The thing about the original Shimano tool that these were based on is that the pointer is on top, and it's a bit awkward to rotate. But mine is missing the ruler/pointer, so I have to use one that isn't quite right.

Those early Shimano tools are often missing the entire top part, but people still want top dollar for them. I know someone that made a top part for one, but the design is lost to history.

Veloo
04-23-2021, 10:21 PM
There's a DAG 3 now.
https://www.parktool.com/product/derailleur-hanger-alignment-gauge-dag-3

FriarQuade
04-24-2021, 12:20 AM
The HAG is a great tool, but it's not impossible to bend the shaft if the hanger is stiffer than normal.

Is this something you've actually done? In the years we've been making them we've never had anyone bring a bent HAG to our attention. I'm sure it's possible, anything will bend if you give it enough umph. But that heavywall 4130 tube isn't going down easy.

J.Higgins
04-24-2021, 05:16 AM
After five decades of bike mechanic experience, I'll have to say that in the handful of times I needed a DAG, eye-balling it probably would have sufficed. I see absolutely NO reason to carry one on the trail. Making a DAG more complicated and less-sturdy with plastic parts or multiple parts is a radical departure from the KISS principle. I'll stick with the Park DAG. Simple. Utilitarian. Effective.

Veloo
04-24-2021, 07:14 AM
It's next to impossible to bend that thing.

Well where do you come from?

Bend (OR).

:banana:

Is this something you've actually done? In the years we've been making them we've never had anyone bring a bent HAG to our attention. I'm sure it's possible, anything will bend if you give it enough umph. But that heavywall 4130 tube isn't going down easy.

oldpotatoe
04-24-2021, 07:50 AM
After five decades of bike mechanic experience, I'll have to say that in the handful of times I needed a DAG, eye-balling it probably would have sufficed. I see absolutely NO reason to carry one on the trail. Making a DAG more complicated and less-sturdy with plastic parts or multiple parts is a radical departure from the KISS principle. I'll stick with the Park DAG. Simple. Utilitarian. Effective.

Altho only 3.5 decades of wrenching...

reuben
04-24-2021, 09:12 AM
Your hanger can get bend out of alignment more easily that you'd expect. I was surprised to see my Lynskey was quite out but still shifting OK.

Here's the Park vid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXfvW0L3iLM

Thanks. In hindsight, I could have used one of those in the 90s, although I *thought* the guy who repaired my bike after The Big Crash did so. Maybe he did and it was rebent later, I dunno.

reuben
04-24-2021, 09:13 AM
It's next to impossible to bend that thing.

Well where do you come from?

Bend (OR).

:banana:

(Mic drop)

unterhausen
04-24-2021, 10:11 AM
Is this something you've actually done? In the years we've been making them we've never had anyone bring a bent HAG to our attention.
The owner of the shop I work at sometimes makes me switch out for the park on particularly stiff hangers. I don't know if anyone at the shop ever bent one, but my impression is yes. I think it was probably Harry, because he totally wiped out a Crombie. I imagine they wouldn't tell you. I put most of the force on it near the hanger, because I can feel it flex.

Neil
04-24-2021, 01:51 PM
I have the Park Tool one and can confirm that it does well at making my girlfriends bike shift cleanly again roughly once per quarter. The Wolf Tooth one does look interesting for the tool kit that I'm putting together for my summer holiday though - it's usefully smaller than the Park one, which leaves me more room in the box and that's probably worth the purchase price of the Wolf Tooth.

The Abbey HAG gets great press, and would of course help my entry in #toolboxwars, but it's also significantly more expensive than the Wolf Tooth (almost twice the price here in the UK).

mjbrekke
04-25-2021, 03:08 AM
I've had the Wolf Tooth tool on my want list for some time and, now that travel is becoming a possibility again, finally decided to order one. It looks like a perfect option for adding to my Bike Friday toolkit--small, light, and works independent of wheel size. One of the very few weaknesses I've found with my BF Pocket Rocket Pro is that the derailleur hanger can easily be bent while traveling with the bike in its suitcase. It will be nice to have a hanger tool traveling in the suitcase, too.

Jim Langley has a very favorable review of the Wolf Tooth here (https://www.roadbikerider.com/wolf-tooth-pack-hanger-tool-review/).