PDA

View Full Version : What do you miss most?

Elefantino
04-09-2020, 08:51 AM
In the grand scheme of things this is inconsequential, but...

I miss bike racing. I really do. Watching Eurosport in the spring has become part of our routine. With Paris-Roubaix not happening on Sunday it continues to feel like there's a big hole there. I even miss it more than baseball.

Irishgirl
04-09-2020, 08:53 AM
People and giving and receiving hugs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bruce K
04-09-2020, 09:09 AM
Teaching my 6th graders face to face.

BK

vav
04-09-2020, 09:30 AM

1- Family and friends face to face interactions. Mom/Dad and 90 year old gradma are in NJ so out of the question visiting them. My sister and nieces also live in NJ and my nieces and daughters ( same age ) really miss each other. We usually go once a month to Jersey

2- School / Teaching. Hate doing it online

3- Going to the gym

4- Food shopping as I enjoy doing it every 2-3 days.

On the same token, I DONT miss the daily grind of commuting to Boston, running around with kids activities, rushing meals, etc etc...I m enjoying the slower pace and the extended family time.

OtayBW
04-09-2020, 09:37 AM
Riding. With my friends....

Blue Jays
04-09-2020, 09:45 AM
I really miss carefree and happy pedaling 40+ miles away from home without trepidation.
Enjoying cold beers post-ride with all my cycling club friends and sharing some good laughs.

Jaybee
04-09-2020, 10:00 AM
Having friends over to my place for dinner.

Tickdoc
04-09-2020, 10:06 AM
Well, I miss work. I love my work and I miss seeing all my people; employees and patients alike.

I miss going out for a sit down dinner a little, bit not much.

I miss hanging out with my friends and riding with my friends but not much.

I’m pretty introverted and I hate to admit I’m really loving having time at home with my wife and kids and dogs. I like to cook so I’m loving having to cook most meals. I’m really loving the solo riding. The weather here has been pretty awesome so that has been nice.

Back to what I miss I guess the thing I miss the most freedom to go where I want when I want.

dpdan93
04-09-2020, 10:23 AM
Treating my patients in clinic

johnmdesigner
04-09-2020, 10:23 AM
Charmin Super Mega:hello:
I want to give my sweetheart at the Italian pizzaria big hug.

bambam
04-09-2020, 10:27 AM
Pinball and a beer being served by some sweet and friendly smiling faces.

mhespenheide
04-09-2020, 10:29 AM
I miss my sense of optimism that the world, despite hiccups or setbacks along the way, was trending towards a better situation for most people.

Now I just look around and see a small group of people who are so obsessive over power and money that they're willing to screw everyone else over no matter what the cost, and a larger group of people who are so tied up in their own ideology that they're not willing to look at facts.

My immediate and extended family are doing well, so I'm happy for that.

Mikej
04-09-2020, 10:35 AM
Clean kitchen

daker13
04-09-2020, 10:43 AM
Visiting my parents

charliedid
04-09-2020, 10:47 AM
My family

tbike4
04-09-2020, 10:54 AM
I miss other things, like seeing my sisters who live on the other coast but one highlight was stopping at the donut shop at the end of a ride to get really good maple bars, my wife's favorite. I was a regular customer so the lady knew me, how many people walk in with full kit, shoes and a helmet to get maple bars, or apple fritters, or buttermilk bars, or... yes I like donuts.

Keith A
04-09-2020, 11:05 AM
There are many things that I miss...but the biggest one is not spending time with my two granddaughters, and getting those hugs and kisses. They are truly a joy in our lives.

redir
04-09-2020, 11:08 AM
Being an introvert has it's advantages I guess.

I did miss out on my mom's 80th birthday however. We had a nice weekend planned for last weekend and of course had to cancel it. When I said how disappointed I was my mom said, "oh don't worry about it, I didn't want to turn 80 anyway." :D

We'll do something in the summer.

mtechnica
04-09-2020, 11:09 AM
Going out to eat!

saab2000
04-09-2020, 11:20 AM

I did miss out on my mom's 80th birthday however. We had a nice weekend planned for last weekend and of course had to cancel it. When I said how disappointed I was my mom said, "oh don't worry about it, I didn't want to turn 80 anyway." :D

Bingo. This is how I feel.

Since I live alone and live in a new location and haven't met anyone with whom to socialize since I moved here last year I miss almost nothing. I will miss my job if that goes away, so in a way I'm missing having customers at my employer.

wernerherzogsid
04-09-2020, 11:42 AM
The plaintive chirping of birds.

R3awak3n
04-09-2020, 11:52 AM
Going out to eat!

yep, same here. Going out for a nice meal with friends.

Also, can't wait to have a nice croissant lol

jpritchet74
04-09-2020, 11:59 AM
My biggest "miss" right now is baseball season, which would have started 2 weeks ago. I was hoping to go to a lot of games this year.

2LeftCleats
04-09-2020, 12:09 PM
I retired a year ago, so not going to work is something I’ve adjusted to. My daily routine was home-centered before the pandemic, so no significant change.

Miss visiting our son in Portland but we communicate regularly by phone and Marco Polo. The other son in Japan worries us more. He says, especially in his rural area, that everyone’s in denial. He tries to do the distancing thing as best he can. We would feel pretty helpless if he got sick. We communicate regularly with our daughter in Boulder, but are sad that she feels that her life is just stuck right now. My wife tells her that the silver lining is that she can learn to live in the now. Easier for an older person to say than a young person to believe.

Miss not having toilet paper security.

Miss outdoor riding. Know that’s probably overly cautious, not wanting to end up at the ED, but content with Zwift for now.

Miss the loss of freedom of movement and suspect that’s irrevocably changed as far as person-to-person contact.

Miss going out to eat but realize a lot of those meals were overpriced and under-special.

I hope what we won’t miss is the opportunity to change the flaws exposed by this experience.

Geemalar
04-09-2020, 12:10 PM
Family members face to face
Going out to dinner with the misses
Some co workers
My group of riding buds, especially the coffee stops........They make cycling what it’s all about.....

We'll get there eventually.........

johnniecakes
04-09-2020, 12:18 PM
Only 2 things I really miss
1) Visiting with my kids.
2) Sunday morning Worship and Sunday School.

jeffkoller91
04-09-2020, 12:25 PM
-Seeing friends and family
-Teaching in person (and not being on a screen all day for that matter)
-Eating a meal out
-Group rides

bambam
04-09-2020, 12:28 PM
... how many people walk in with full kit, shoes and a helmet to get maple bars, or apple fritters, or buttermilk bars, or... yes I like donuts.

Right here brother. Miss, after ,during or post ride donuts, Ice cream, food, and beer.

Locally most restaurants are drive through only if they have a drive through.

Only Time I ever tried to take my bike through the drive through was on BMB in '06 at the Brattleboro McDonalds. Once the person at the window realized I would wait for the Cops that she threatened to call or my food, whichever came first, The manager came out of hiding to take my order.
(350 miles worth of cravings were evidentially worth a conversation with local police in my mind)

Haven't tried to bike through a drive through before or since.

makoti
04-09-2020, 12:30 PM

Yep. I was fully quarantined for a week & I didn't really notice much of a difference.
I do miss going to see my 92 y/o mother. I would get over at least every other weekend & take her out to dinner. Feels like I haven't been there is a long time, although I've only missed one visit so far. I feel worse for her. That was about the only time she got out.

jtakeda
04-09-2020, 12:33 PM
Having friends over to my place for dinner.

THIS.

I was planning on staying up all night and smoking multiple briskets, having a friend who owns a meat co make some links, and having a huge bbq party for my girlfriends graduation and now everything is cancelled....

I also miss working, but only slightly.

Sojodave
04-09-2020, 02:36 PM
There are a lot of things I miss. I really miss having scheduled big rides. I had signed up for a half-dozen, and all of them seem to be canceling. I still ride as much as I can, but I don't feel the burning desire to really push myself to get ready for a scheduled big ride.

Oh yea, I miss being employed. When the economy hit the skids, the billion-dollar company I was working for folded like a cheap tent.

shoota
04-09-2020, 03:10 PM
In the grand scheme of things this is inconsequential, but...

I miss bike racing. I really do. Watching Eurosport in the spring has become part of our routine. With Paris-Roubaix not happening on Sunday it continues to feel like there's a big hole there. I even miss it more than baseball.

100% my feelings too. ugh

robt57
04-09-2020, 03:11 PM
Passing a Piper Archer or Arrow thru the keyhole between the towers of the George Washington Bridge [ceiling used to be 1200'] to go do a few laps around Lady Liberty's face for my kids when kiddies, now 29 and 34.

peanutgallery
04-09-2020, 03:19 PM
I'm beginning to think that I miss getting a regular paycheck:)

Thankful for the health of me and the family

Matthew
04-09-2020, 03:23 PM
Everything. I didn't realize just how good things were until everything stops or drastically slows down. I miss riding with my friends. I miss the races I was planning to do this summer that are likely cancelled. I miss hockey. I miss filled stadiums of people having fun. Most of all I miss the sense of security we all took for granted. Having something like this smack you in the face from virtually nowhere really makes you think about how great life can be when things are going well. Fortunately I don't have to miss The Paceline and the great people here. I love this place, I love the people here. Stay safe, be well. Take care of you and yours. We'll get through this!

d_douglas
04-09-2020, 03:51 PM
It is pretty surreal.

I miss the day to day interactions with people. You never think about how close you are to the average person until you're expected to stay 2m apart. The cashier at the grocery store behind the lean shield likely feels the same way.

I even have doubts about hugging my own kids which is bizarre, but as I am the only one going to any space with other people (the store, getting our car serviced, etc) I am the weak link and I worry that they could get sick.

I am fascinated to see how this will affect sociobehavioural interactions once this has passed. Will we all just naturally 'wave hello' to our close friends vs giving them a hug? No more handshakes? will we naturally cross the street as we approach another person rather than saying hello as we walk directly past them? It'll be interesting.

marciero
04-09-2020, 04:03 PM
cycle touring, visiting Mom. "Destination" rides to a favorite eatery, cafe, etc.
Not too much else. Long single day rides not affected since I am used to carrying all my food and think of it as part of the experience. Camping and bikepacking will require additional thought, but doable. As a musician who has been inactive recently, am not really missing that. Solo practice can fill. But I can still ride, I can still talk with mom.

On the other hand, here are some things that you cannot do or even approximate virtually.

Here are some things that you cannot approximate virtually

Playing music with others (all platforms will have latency issues)
partner dance such as tango, swing
Most competitive sports. Even allowing Zwift as an approximation of bike racing, you cannot approximate baseball, basketball, etc. or even tennis.

Irishgirl
04-09-2020, 04:04 PM
Definitely do NOT miss snow in April - in Chicago [emoji849]

AngryScientist
04-09-2020, 04:09 PM
tough call because i miss so much,

but what i miss the most are travel and bars/restaurants.

T-Crush
04-09-2020, 04:43 PM
- Visiting my local craft brewer (hang on Claremont Craft Ales, we're coming!)
- Tennis (played in college and while I now suck, it's still fun)
- Weekend group rides that usually finish at one of my local craft brewers
- Visiting extended family (offset some by having all four adult kids under my roof)

Chin up, this too shall pass.

Seramount
04-09-2020, 04:51 PM
March Madness...the best sports event of the year.

doing laps at my favorite muni pool. it's been cool, rainy for the lasts few weeks, but once the temps stay above 90F, this is going to be a serious issue.

Spoker
04-09-2020, 04:53 PM
Miss the spring classics and my 401 k only go up.

paredown
04-09-2020, 05:56 PM
Margarita pizza out of the wood fired oven at our local Italian joint--proper NY style with thin crust out of a woodfired oven, with good tomato sauce that burns your mouth on the first bite if you are not careful!

Preferably with our little circle of friends...

Jaybee
04-09-2020, 06:17 PM
Margarita pizza out of the wood fired oven at our local Italian joint--proper NY style with thin crust out of a woodfired oven, with good tomato sauce that burns your mouth on the first bite if you are not careful!

Dude. Stop. You’re killing me.

likebikes
04-09-2020, 06:23 PM
toilet paper

SoCalSteve
04-09-2020, 06:30 PM
Figured out the toilet paper thing, bought a bidet.

I miss going to my local supermarket ( which I walk to ) daily to buy fresh rolls for my lunch sandwich and fresh meats, fish and produce that I get and prepare for my wife nightly.

Also, this is kind of a bummer, my wife was going to throw me a retirement-birthday party next weekend on the roof of our building with 40 of our friends and relatives...no more...:eek:

Clean39T
04-09-2020, 06:30 PM
It is pretty surreal.

I miss the day to day interactions with people. You never think about how close you are to the average person until you're expected to stay 2m apart. The cashier at the grocery store behind the lean shield likely feels the same way.

I even have doubts about hugging my own kids which is bizarre, but as I am the only one going to any space with other people (the store, getting our car serviced, etc) I am the weak link and I worry that they could get sick.

I am fascinated to see how this will affect sociobehavioural interactions once this has passed. Will we all just naturally 'wave hello' to our close friends vs giving them a hug? No more handshakes? will we naturally cross the street as we approach another person rather than saying hello as we walk directly past them? It'll be interesting.+1000

I have been couped up in a one bedroom apartment with the same person for a month......... in no way is that healthy.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200409/7a05cdf6854eb342afb2c80dfc0757f8.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

slowgoing
04-09-2020, 06:55 PM
I miss the beach and bike path.

mhespenheide
04-09-2020, 07:09 PM

Dude, where? I'm fond of Amici's by the Poughkeepsie train station when I'm home visiting my parents.

Coffee Rider
04-09-2020, 07:23 PM
Riding with friends
Hanging out with cycling friends
Interacting with some of the people at work
Going to the gym

weaponsgrade
04-09-2020, 08:01 PM
My sanity.

paredown
04-09-2020, 08:27 PM
Dude, where? I'm fond of Amici's by the Poughkeepsie train station when I'm home visiting my parents.

Little place called Forgia in Suffern, NY --Suffern is a train stop on the NJ Transit line to Port Jervis...

(Apparently they are still doing takeout Thurs/Fri/Sat to 8:00--we just checked and may have to cruise by...)

zero85ZEN
04-09-2020, 08:29 PM
Group rides. Watching the Spring Classics. Gonna miss the Giro, my favorite grand tour.

And John Prine. I’m going to miss never seeing him live in concert and never having any more new songs and albums. 😞

Dave Ferris
04-09-2020, 08:57 PM
Trails in the Verdugos and Santa Monicas being closed. I live in the Woodlands, a mile and 1.7 miles from two Verdugo trail accesses and running on the street, I see late 20/early 30 somethings, riding in groups of up to four, totally ignoring the closure signs on Beaudry.

It must be nice to be so entitled and feel the rules don't apply to you. :rolleyes:

Rose Bowl loop and surrounding trails are closed too. Usually go over there once a week. Griffith Park trails are closed too. Don't frequent that area as much for some reason.

Miss going out to our favorite Mexican restaurants in the area too.

On the upside, the Air quality is the best it's ever been in LA.

buddybikes
04-09-2020, 08:58 PM
Group rides. Watching the Spring Classics. Gonna miss the Giro, my favorite grand tour.

And John Prine. I’m going to miss never seeing him live in concert and never having any more new songs and albums. 😞

Fortunately is spawned good number of disciples, I would guess there will be regular whole concerts of just his stuff.

XXtwindad
04-09-2020, 09:57 PM
+1000

I have been couped up in a one bedroom apartment with the same person for a month......... in no way is that healthy.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200409/7a05cdf6854eb342afb2c80dfc0757f8.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

The mental health toll from this Pandemic may well eclipse the physical one.

echelon_john
04-09-2020, 10:15 PM
- Eating food I didn't cook
- Drinking coffee I didn't have to make
- Having someone else do the dishes after that food or coffee.

100% aware these are big time first world problems, but they're the truth.

Dead Man
04-09-2020, 10:44 PM
bloody marys for breakfast

believing sanders will win

believing my fellow 'muricans still valued what civil liberty remained

boywonder
04-10-2020, 12:41 AM
Teaching the local kids to become ripping skiers on Saturdays this winter.

Hilltopperny
04-10-2020, 06:01 AM
Freedom

clyde the point
04-10-2020, 06:04 AM
NOT having to wear a face mask for 12H at work. Breathing my own breath through that thing is not phun.
They closed the Swamp Rabbit trail in the city limits so now have to find an alternative route to our favorite rides. I don't think about giving those up. Yet. Our son is USAF and is confined to his base until 5.15 then an new assignment somewhere? Location TBD. He is in Wichita Falls TX so thanks for FaceTime. I have this realization that the world will never be the same after this and it's not a comfortable feeling. Driving by all the businesses that used to have customers and people doing their thing....it's like a ghost town in Greenville. Not that I really get off on interacting with people all the time (introvert) however I miss them doing their thing; like a rhythm of life.

weisan
04-10-2020, 06:21 AM
What do you miss most?

Honestly, not much. I have been living a very simplified, scaled down, back to the basics kinda of lifestyle for a while now. I learned through this process that there are A LOT of things I can do without, that contribute little to no value to my overall well-being and happiness.

I am speaking the truth.

oldpotatoe
04-10-2020, 06:22 AM

AGREE, being able to be close and huggy with my sons, my daughter in law and particularly my 2 grand daughters...ugh

glepore
04-10-2020, 07:07 AM
Live music
Dining with others, either here or out
And I'm with the op, miss the classics, not for the events themselves though but for the rhythm of the seasons as expressed through sports