PDA

View Full Version : OT: business coming back online

Irishgirl
04-08-2020, 10:10 PM
Curious and looking to get input on what business will come back on line first after the stay at home orders are lifted or relaxed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dbnm
04-08-2020, 10:11 PM
the company I work for very much involves the public and we are ready and planning for Monday June 1.

texbike
04-08-2020, 10:57 PM
Mexican Food restaurants! At least I hope so...

Texbike

bigbill
04-08-2020, 11:07 PM
Restaurants and bars. I'm in the building supply business, we're still operating.

peanutgallery
04-09-2020, 06:12 AM
Hair places and beauty salons will boom

Roots, self cut bangs, all the lady stuff etc will have been on hold for like 2 months

oldpotatoe
04-09-2020, 06:31 AM
Curious and looking to get input on what business will come back on line first after the stay at home orders are lifted or relaxed.

BUT w/o large scale testing, how do business' do that? How will anybody know they aren't infected or infecting others?
I don't see it until next spring..when there's a vaccine.
With lessening of the stay at home, social distancing comes mobility/travel..which can be dangerous.

buddybikes
04-09-2020, 06:37 AM
Depends where... Highly doubt NY, DC, Phil, Detroit, etc. Down East Maine, perhaps.

Irishgirl
04-09-2020, 07:12 AM
BUT w/o large scale testing, how do business' do that? How will anybody know they aren't infected or infecting others?
I don't see it until next spring..when there's a vaccine.
With lessening of the stay at home, social distancing comes mobility/travel..which can be dangerous.

Old Potato- You bring up good points as the human psyche straddles fear/needs/wants on IF and WHO of this virus and dare I say any other virus that rises to the ranks of a pandemic status.

It will take the collective brain power of everyone to solve the biggest questions and problems we are facing globally.

AngryScientist
04-09-2020, 07:19 AM
i am curious as to what impact this will have on the airline industry.

what a mess things were before, with regard to germ transmission.

Airports terribly crowded, long, packed queues to even get on the plane, followed by planes they packed absolutely full of as many people as possible. social distancing would be a welcome treat on a plane where the seat spacing is designed for skinny children at best.

i do think the travel industry will bounce back quickly, but i hope some changes come with some relief for the crowding.

Tandem Rider
04-09-2020, 07:28 AM
The quickest re-starts are going to be services that do not require goods from the supply chain, beauty, lawn care, travel, etc. I think that the supply chain for goods is going to be affected for much longer than expected. For example, a friend is an electrical contractor and he is seeing shortages of conduit already. The "big switch" isn't going to get flipped and the next day have everything back to normal.

thermalattorney
04-09-2020, 07:42 AM
Was talking with my fiancé about this yesterday. Business that deal largely with one-on-one or small group contact will try to come back first. Social distancing rules will be enforced, the use of scheduled appointments will soar.

Where it gets tricky are crowd-based businesses, like concerts, theater, movies and airports/public transit.

The less essential ones might have to wait until next year when there is enough herd immunity and potentially a vaccine to fully re-open. Limited openings where the audience is 1/3rd the normal size, everyone sits a seat apart, has to wear masks at all times, etc... that doesn't sound fun to me.

peanutgallery
04-09-2020, 07:52 AM
The one that's going to be bumming the most when we get back to work....my dog. She's loving the shut down

On a more serious note, wondering what the takeaways from all this will be when things open up again. Will it reshape how we get "stuff". Will access of resources become more localized. Or... will we revert back to flying to the Himalayas for the weekend to acquire cheapest and best moustache wax? Interested to see if Covid changes how we collectively think and prioritize what's deemed important. Will the Humans learn anything from all this? Fallout will make for some interesting people watching

Irishgirl
04-09-2020, 08:26 AM
The one that's going to be bumming the most when we get back to work....my dog. She's loving the shut down

On a more serious note, wondering what the takeaways from all this will be when things open up again. Will it reshape how we get "stuff". Will access of resources become more localized. Or... will we revert back to flying to the Himalayas for the weekend to acquire cheapest and best moustache wax? Interested to see if Covid changes how we collectively think and prioritize what's deemed important. Will the Humans learn anything from all this? Fallout will make for some interesting people watching

I’m in the same vein of thoughts too....I was going to post tomorrow or over the weekend an OT: how have you changed because of COVID....that could be an interesting discussion.

Irishgirl
04-09-2020, 08:29 AM

And I’ve wanted a dog and seriously thought and about getting a dog now...note sure how my “cat girls” and the cats for that matter would embrace that one.

HenryA
04-09-2020, 08:39 AM
I hope small restaurants will be among the first. Most of them can't stay closed for long and remain in business.

There is talk about loosening or partially lifting stay at home here. And probably in lots of places with lower population densities will go first.

A good test model might have been here:

https://www.sanmiguelcountyco.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=525

But it is being delayed for now.

thunderworks
04-09-2020, 08:43 AM
IMO, when society and the economy start to return to normal, it will be a very slow and measured return. I fear many restaurants will never reopen. Those are frequently highly leveraged businesses and this long term closure could easily put them out of business - with or without stimulus money. Sporting events may start back up, but my guess is that there will be a lot of wariness in the public about attending large events. Same for concerts, plane travel etc.

The cruise industry (floating petri dishes) might not survive at all. Air travel might turn into an expensive privilege with relatively few players . . . neither outcome really strike me as bad for the planet, although extremely painful for people working within those industries.

None of us really can foresee what life will look like post pandemic, but I think "normal" will be significantly different that what we have previously been experiencing.

Jaybee
04-09-2020, 08:46 AM
There’s little I want more than a post-trail ride brew with my riding group, but it’s hard for me to imagine sitting down at a bar or patio next to 80 strangers.

peanutgallery
04-09-2020, 08:48 AM
Dogs hang in the balance on your every breath and actually come when you call. On the other hand, cats are gonna cat

Given the right canine, some dogs are going to be fine with cats and stoked with kids/family. Mine, however, thinks are cats are for eating. They are her one weakness but we're working on it. For the record, she's a pit mix...that can sit in your lap...and plank better than all of us combined

And I’ve wanted a dog and seriously thought and about getting a dog now...note sure how my “cat girls” and the cats for that matter would embrace that one.

yarg
04-09-2020, 08:51 AM
The return to "normal" would be a cruel joke without testing and its hard for me to believe that this deficiency hasn't been the focus of government and the media. It has been months and testing is woefully inadequate, and I am being kind. A 15 minute test that is readily available would make a return for many businesses viable.

uber
04-09-2020, 08:54 AM
This issue is already being discussed by governors ornament NY/NJ/Conn as the three states are so intertwined. Antibody positive, those who have been exposed to Covid will likely be first back. People who test negative but at lower risk could be next. Coordinations with private sector testing is already being discussed if we believe Gov Cuomo. It will be very interesting.

unterhausen
04-09-2020, 09:13 AM
Mexican Food restaurants! At least I hope so...

TexbikeI just discovered a Mexican restaurant in our area that I had no idea existed. They are takeout only right now

zap
04-09-2020, 09:13 AM
This issue is already being discussed by governors ornament NY/NJ/Conn as the three states are so intertwined. Antibody positive, those who have been exposed to Covid will likely be first back. People who test negative but at lower risk could be next. Coordinations with private sector testing is already being discussed if we believe Gov Cuomo. It will be very interesting.

Cuomo should be very aware that massive testing will take far too long.

One local example. https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/widespread-covid-19-immunity-testing-delayed-in-san-miguel-county

There are also privacy issues.

AngryScientist
04-09-2020, 09:19 AM

this seems like a bad idea.

if you tell someone who is struggling and out of work that they cant go back to work because they dont have immunity, they are going to try like hell to get the virus and get it over with.

right?

old fat man
04-09-2020, 09:29 AM

More and more stories about how low risk (healthy) patients are still dying. I am not convinced that being healthy and testing negative is enough to get back to work and socializing. I want a vaccine or cure.

zap
04-09-2020, 09:32 AM
Agreed, it appears that there is still a lot of uncertainty regarding C-19 including immunity.

Blue Jays
04-09-2020, 09:41 AM
My employer (earlier) would frequently would fly us places for client visits and pretty regularly for internal meetings.
Videoconferencing has proven successful for both, is cost-effective for budget, AND everyone is home for family dinner.
My anticipation is in my professional life I will see fewer airline terminals in the coming months. I welcome that change.

FlashUNC
04-09-2020, 09:46 AM
First and foremost we need widespread testing, and right now that simply does not exist.

The most detailed consideration of this subject I have seen comes from Germany, where at the end of last week a group of economists and public-health experts published a paper titled “Making the Fight Against the Coronavirus Pandemic Sustainable.” Noting the grave economic and social costs of an indefinite lockdown, the experts advocated a “gradual transition to a risk-adapted strategy” of reopening businesses such as highly automated manufacturing plants or firms located in areas with low rates of infection while also taking additional measures to protect the most vulnerable populations. But the most striking thing about the German study is the list of things that it identified as necessary for such a policy to be successfully implemented.

The list included “coordinated, large-scale testing to monitor the spread of the virus and the increase in immunity of the population”; the availability of “comprehensive and unrestricted medical care for the population”; “regional and supra-regional coordination of ventilation capacity;” and an effective communications strategy implemented by political leaders who are “considered credible and of integrity.”

The United States has none of these things.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-columnists/trumps-light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel-is-a-delusion-coronavirus

Mikej
04-09-2020, 09:57 AM
Nah, lots of 20 somethings with a 1200$ govt check in their pocket that already think what’s everyone so worried about.