PDA

View Full Version : Which road wheels / tires for my gravel bike?

jwin
04-08-2020, 04:37 PM
I'm curious to here some opinions of those more knowledgeable than I in wheelsets.

I'm looking to downsize (I know...) and get a *supple* road wheelset for my gravel bike. I'm thinking some slicks around the 35c mark and wanted to get opinions on options I might have missed?

I'd like to get some nice carbon, semi-aero hoops for sub-$1000 and with good resale value (in case I change my mind). I would consider aluminum wheels, but if I'm already paying $600+ I figure I might as well stretch the budget a bit for the weight savings as I'll do a lot of climbing and not a lot of pacelining. It seems there's not much in the sub-$500 range worth while without going to a build-your-own route (except maybe Hunt...meh).

My initial thoughts are something like this:
- Light Bicycle Wheels with DT Swiss 350s & Sapim CX-Rays
- Challenge Strada Bianca TLR 36c

A couple questions here:

- Do I have better options than LB? They seem best bang-for-the-buck especially with their free shipping going on. I'm worried about the finish on the matte rims, but I'm not sure if it's any worse than the other manufacturers. It seems like there might be some good used deals here on the forums, and I'm not opposed to that route, but I also need to wait some time before I can start using the classifieds section. It doesn't seem like I can get a much better deal used though.

- How does the Challenge compare say a GP 5000 TL, Panaracer Gravelking Slick, or Compass Bon Jon Pass?

- Is it worth running tubeless on this wheelset? I run Thunderburts tubeless on this tire and I love the idea of tubeless overall so I don't ever have to deal with tubes. On the other hand, my road bike runs Stampede Pass tires with tubes and I've had no problems. Maybe I'm overthinking this.

Thanks for the advice in advance! I just found this forum recently but it seems like a great place to hang out.

robt57
04-08-2020, 05:37 PM
Semi Aero? If you are talking 35mm tire, aero profile beyond zoot looks is moot, yes? Not that I am critiquing zoot looks, or that as quest/goal/motivation... ;)

jwin
04-08-2020, 05:46 PM
Semi Aero? If you are talking 35mm tire, aero profile beyond zoot looks is moot, yes? Not that I am critiquing zoot looks, or that as quest/goal/motivation... ;)

Haha yes, aero is not really that important. I'm not *up to speed* on the latest aero thoughts and mumblings, but I would imagine that if I run a GP 5000 TL 32c that an aero rim would have at least some performance benefits at speeds I hardly achieve :p

That said in the looks department I am looking for something that's in the 35-40mm deep range and ideally ~25mm internal / ~30mm external width. I think it would give a nice look for the bike.

Davist
04-09-2020, 06:12 AM
I'd recommend the GP5k 32 tl, I've been amazed at how "fast" it feels. My "other" wheels are Farsports carbon 45mm/DT350s with GP4k 28s (measure about 33) and on the alloy low profile wheels the 5k roll so much easier (about 32-33 as well). Easy setup, too. As for the road wheels, I'd recommend Farsports, really good pricing and free shipping as well, I have about 5k miles on them.

oldpotatoe
04-09-2020, 06:29 AM
I'm curious to here some opinions of those more knowledgeable than I in wheelsets.

I'm looking to downsize (I know...) and get a *supple* road wheelset for my gravel bike. I'm thinking some slicks around the 35c mark and wanted to get opinions on options I might have missed?

I'd like to get some nice carbon, semi-aero hoops for sub-$1000 and with good resale value (in case I change my mind). I would consider aluminum wheels, but if I'm already paying $600+ I figure I might as well stretch the budget a bit for the weight savings as I'll do a lot of climbing and not a lot of pacelining. It seems there's not much in the sub-$500 range worth while without going to a build-your-own route (except maybe Hunt...meh).

A couple questions here:

- Do I have better options than LB? They seem best bang-for-the-buck especially with their free shipping going on. I'm worried about the finish on the matte rims, but I'm not sure if it's any worse than the other manufacturers. It seems like there might be some good used deals here on the forums, and I'm not opposed to that route, but I also need to wait some time before I can start using the classifieds section. It doesn't seem like I can get a much better deal used though.

- How does the Challenge compare say a GP 5000 TL, Panaracer Gravelking Slick, or Compass Bon Jon Pass?

- Is it worth running tubeless on this wheelset? I run Thunderburts tubeless on this tire and I love the idea of tubeless overall so I don't ever have to deal with tubes. On the other hand, my road bike runs Stampede Pass tires with tubes and I've had no problems. Maybe I'm overthinking this.

Thanks for the advice in advance! I just found this forum recently but it seems like a great place to hang out.

Check out these or give ERGOTT a call..he does LOTS of hand built carbon wheelsets.

https://btlos.com/

ergottwheels@gmail.com

Kyle h
04-09-2020, 06:34 AM
You’d be hard pressed to find a better deal than a set of LightBike wheels, specially given their price point. I think they’re doing free shipping at the moment actually. As for tires, the EL Rene Herse tires roll so nice, as I’m sure the GP5k TL do, but I would worry a little about the sidewalls with both. If your gravel is pretty tame or hard packed, probably not an issue but if you find yourself on more adventurous roads I’d maybe lean towards more beefy tires like the GK slick or standard casing Rene Herse. From a price point view, the GK slick is probably up there as best bang for the buck but double check if the 32 is tubeless, for some reason I was think the 28 and 32 models were tube only.

R3awak3n
04-09-2020, 06:38 AM
I am very happy with my Reynolds AR41. 40mm deep, maybe a bit more aero than you want them but they have been great. I think Reynolds has a 20% off right now so they should be around $1000. They have been excellent. They are not the lightest but you not going to get that for $1000. Reynolds have great warranty too. Also my favorite thing about them are external nipples (ALWAYS for me) and brass nipples.

Oh and tires? Rene Herse Bon Jon ALL THE WAY. They are fantastic, 35mm, perfect for packed gravel but also perfect on pavement.

https://i.imgur.com/AgllYKi.jpg?4

Cbh
04-09-2020, 01:03 PM
I’ve got Reynolds ATRx wheels on my Parlee Chebacco. I’m running Bon Jon Pass 35mm and it feels pretty fast on the road, but it’s not as fast as my road bike with 25mm GP 4000s. I think some retailers have Reynolds at 20% off now

jwin
04-09-2020, 04:00 PM
For wheels:

Yeah I saw the Reynolds at 20% off, it's really a good deal. There's also a pair of ATRs on the classifieds for $800. It seems like the Light Bicycle / BTLOS wheels are actually quite higher spec'd than the Reynolds with DT 350s and Sapim CX Rays. That said, I'm sure Reynolds warranty service department is top notch, and it's nice to support US businesses. Although, the warranty might be a moot point if I buy second hand. Though I have no qualms about the quality of LB's carbon manufacturing, does anyone know if Reynolds carbon rims are manufactured in the US? That could be a deciding factor to me.

There's also the newly launched ENVE Foundation line, but that budget is quite a bit of a stretch for me.

For tires:

I was originally planning to go for the Rene Herse BJP, but damn are they expensive! My Stampede Pass are wearing out so quickly too. I'm also a bit turned off about all the tubeless seeping sidewall complaints. I won't be riding these on gravel really at all (have 650b's for that), but the roads in Seattle are rough for what it's worth. The GP 5000 TLs could be in my future, I just wish they made a 35mm tan wall! I would love that. No reviews on the Challenge Strada Bianca TLR? I've heard some horrible things and some great things about them so I'm a bit torn on where to fall. I've also heard they stretch to 38mm which is a plus in my book. I don't want the tire to look anemic in the gravel bike. Price-wise I can find them for $42/tire which is a steal compared to Rene Herse. GP 5k's can be found for a bit more than that.

I might just bite the bullet on the Challenge's and take a risk.

Hilltopperny
04-09-2020, 05:39 PM
Soma makes some nice supple tires and if you shop around you can likely find them on eBay for a reasonable price. I like the Bon Jons as far as they roll amazing, but the GK slicks are the best bang for buck gravel slick I have used.

I love the Reynolds ATR wheels and I think my old set are in the classifieds right now for around $800 iirc. Hard to beat for a nice set of bombproof carbon wheels with pretty good engagement. I still have a set I use, but in 650b.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sparky33
04-09-2020, 08:17 PM
BJPs are magically versatile, wonderful tires. The EL have worked well for me, but the endurance casing might be the better choice for hazardous surfaces.

The GK also looks great.

jwin
04-09-2020, 09:37 PM
BJPs are magically versatile, wonderful tires. The EL have worked well for me, but the endurance casing might be the better choice for hazardous surfaces.

The GK also looks great.

Are you running your BJP's tubeless or with tubes?

rain dogs
04-10-2020, 09:35 AM
It seems there's not much in the sub-$500 range worth while without going to a build-your-own route (except maybe Hunt...meh).

I dunno about that. Fulcrum Rapid Red 5's are awesome, especially for the ~$350-400 price.

Comparing them to a $1000 wheelset is a stretch, but they're totally worthwhile for a sub $500 wheelset. They are pretty much bang on spec'd weight too, unlike hunt which almost always weighs 60-100g more than spec'd

Gphin
04-10-2020, 09:42 AM
R3 your wheel/tire set up looks great! I bet they would really roll fast on my Westchester/Putnam gravel roads, enjoy the ride!!

sparky33
04-10-2020, 09:55 AM
Are you running your BJP's tubeless or with tubes?

Tubeless

jwin
04-10-2020, 11:43 AM
I dunno about that. Fulcrum Rapid Red 5's are awesome, especially for the ~$350-400 price.

Comparing them to a $1000 wheelset is a stretch, but they're totally worthwhile for a sub $500 wheelset. They are pretty much bang on spec'd weight too, unlike hunt which almost always weighs 60-100g more than spec'd

Thanks for the info! Very true, I guess it just feels like given how much I have spent on my bike, to spend another $500 for the important part seems worthwhile.

Speaking of lower cost items though, I found a few more tires to add to my list and wondering if people have ridden on them?

- Resist Nomad 700x35c (very cheap)
- Jack Brown Green 700x33.33333c (not cheap)

doomridesout
04-10-2020, 03:17 PM
By the same logic, don’t save $40 on tires to have them suck the life out of your ride. Haven’t tried the Resist tires but suspect they suck. The Rivendell Jack Browns were an early attempt to make a tire like the Compass/RH. They’re OK but a pale shadow of the real thing.

R3awak3n
04-10-2020, 03:20 PM
The resists for the price are actually very decent tires

alessandro
05-20-2020, 01:58 PM
This is only a slight thread drift, because my road bike is my gravel bike--in Vermont, most of the town dirt roads are well-maintained and not so rough that you can't ride them on a regular road bike... not that that's going to stop me from getting a gravel bike soon.

This board has considerable experience and knowledge, especially about rubber. What is your experience with Rene Herse tires and durability? What is the verdict--worth it, or better to spend the $$ on another brand that will last longer?

I have Rene Herse Cayuse Pass 26mm tires on my 2001 Cervelo, because that is the biggest tire that will fit on this frame. I've put only 1500 miles on them, and my guy at the LBS said they need replacing sooner rather than later. He said he's seen this a fair amount with RH and Panaracer tires (maker of RH), in which the gunwalls wear out more quickly than other makes. I think tires should last longer than that. I don't mind paying a premium for well-made stuff that performs nicely, I just don't like the idea of doing that often.

Pic from Sunday, just before I went out and rode 40 miles, 25 of them gravel.:)

AngryScientist
05-20-2020, 02:06 PM
it all comes down to luck.

if you're riding smooth dirt roads without many sharp rocks, the RH tires should be fine, but that picture indicates you definitely rubbed them the wrong way, so to speak :)

i usually spend at least a couple weekends in VT road riding, so i know what you're talking about. my preferred tire for up there and that style of riding used to be the vittoria pave, but now the new corsa controls are very good, better than the pave.

i'd get a set of them if i were you. i just put a fresh set on my rain bike and they are pretty nice. apparently the "graphene 2.0" upgraded them to be a little more durable too.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-LTp0_TOUN0M/XheTQxp_mkI/AAAAAAAADcE/5c9hoSWniI47Fg-jrKoIbSlefQMYNlV3QCLcBGAsYHQ/s1200/IMG_2513.jpeg

Toddykins
05-20-2020, 03:00 PM
Of the tires discussed, the conti gp5k will be the most durable - but I would go with BJP EL because this will be the most fun option.

djg21
05-20-2020, 03:34 PM

A couple questions here:

I’m looking at the HED Belgium Eroica Carbon Wheels, which are way pricey, or a set of the more reasonably priced HED Belgium Eroica Aluminum rims built around a nice hub set. They too are expensive for aluminum rims, but I’ve had really good luck with multiple sets of HED Belgium and Belgium+ wheelsets.

Hilltopperny
05-20-2020, 07:02 PM
My set of Belgium+ laced to CK hubs with BJPs are my go to for your stated purpose. I also run Reynolds ATR in 650b with Soma Grand Rando 42s which also do well on the road and gravel. Cannot really go wrong with either, but the Belgium+ laced to CKs are my favorite set of wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EB
05-21-2020, 10:18 AM
Bon Jons. EL. Tubeless. Done. You won't regret it unless you steer into the sharp rocks.

Andreas
05-21-2020, 11:33 AM
in Vermont,What is your experience with Rene Herse tires and durability?

I ride where you ride and have ridden way above 50,000 miles on VT/NH dirt roads.
The rips and cuts are very typical for RH tires riding our dirt roads, among the reasons I have moved on (schwalbe pro one /g one speed etc).

Reminds me, I have to take a photo of my compass/RH tire cemetery in the barn. Probably 8 tires with rips and tears, some patched, that i need to recycle.

no experience with the new "endurance" style that was introduced for a reason and my hold up better - but i would not know why you pick them over schwalbe or gravel kings for half the price

ymmv

HTupolev
05-21-2020, 01:57 PM
This is only a slight thread drift, because my road bike is my gravel bike--in Vermont, most of the town dirt roads are well-maintained and not so rough that you can't ride them on a regular road bike... not that that's going to stop me from getting a gravel bike soon.

This board has considerable experience and knowledge, especially about rubber. What is your experience with Rene Herse tires and durability? What is the verdict--worth it, or better to spend the $$ on another brand that will last longer?

I have Rene Herse Cayuse Pass 26mm tires on my 2001 Cervelo, because that is the biggest tire that will fit on this frame. I've put only 1500 miles on them, and my guy at the LBS said they need replacing sooner rather than later. He said he's seen this a fair amount with RH and Panaracer tires (maker of RH), in which the gunwalls wear out more quickly than other makes. I think tires should last longer than that. I don't mind paying a premium for well-made stuff that performs nicely, I just don't like the idea of doing that often.

Pic from Sunday, just before I went out and rode 40 miles, 25 of them gravel.:)
That pic looks more like sidewall abrasion from something on the road than normal "wearing out." I use RH tires on gravel that occasionally gets very chunky, but I'm on Rat Trap Pass, literally twice as wide as your Cayuse Pass. I've taken some sidewall damage on them before, but I've seen people destroy much tougher tires on the same roads, so I'm not overly inclined to swap.

If this happens at unacceptable frequency and you can't try wider, you might have to go tougher.

alessandro
05-22-2020, 04:38 PM
I ride where you ride and have ridden way above 50,000 miles on VT/NH dirt roads.
The rips and cuts are very typical for RH tires riding our dirt roads, among the reasons I have moved on (schwalbe pro one /g one speed etc).

Reminds me, I have to take a photo of my compass/RH tire cemetery in the barn. Probably 8 tires with rips and tears, some patched, that i need to recycle.

no experience with the new "endurance" style that was introduced for a reason and my hold up better - but i would not know why you pick them over schwalbe or gravel kings for half the price

ymmv

You ride where I ride, only faster and longer! And from 4-7 a.m.

We need to see a pic of the tire cemetery.