PDA

View Full Version : OT advice: situation in LA?

akelman
04-08-2020, 09:38 AM
Anyone in LA? I'd like to head down for an important but not urgent visit. Some details: the trip could be accomplished by car, could happen very quickly (just a few hours), and could result in absolutely zero interaction with people outside my immediate family.

The thing is, my kid wants to visit a couple of area college campuses. He hates the idea of making a final decision about next fall without at least seeing his choices. I don't blame him but also know that our presence—even if we intend otherwise, even if we come and go quickly, and even if we maintain the very strictest social distancing—might be unwelcome.

I'm torn and could use some advice about the scene in LA, which I expect is very different from the small city in which we live. Almost everyone here is being quite cautious, but the streets aren't entirely deserted. People going out in public aren't perceived as threatening jerks (especially if they're masked), and life is sorta/kinda proceeding, though not normally.

old_fat_and_slow
04-08-2020, 10:10 AM
Traffic is much lighter than normal. Some people wearing masks in public, but not 100%. Lot of people working at home. Number of new cases is still rising every week. Curve has not flattened yet. Streets are definitely not deserted.

UCLA campus is freaking gorgeous if your kid is considering going there. Pepperdine is pretty sweet too. USC is in a not so nice area of town. UC Irvine is pretty nice as well as Cal State Long Beach.

akelman
04-08-2020, 10:14 AM
Traffic is much lighter than normal. Some people wearing masks in public, but not 100%. Lot of people working at home. Number of new cases is still rising every week. Curve has not flattened yet. Streets are definitely not deserted.

UCLA campus is freaking gorgeous if your kid is considering going there. Pepperdine is pretty sweet too. USC is in a not so nice area of town. UC Irvine is pretty nice as well as Cal State Long Beach.

So, some people showing up and wandering around for a few hours, staying far away from others to be respectful, and then leaving as quickly as they came? That won't be viewed as an act of profound selfishness or aggression?

verticaldoug
04-08-2020, 10:18 AM
The campuses are mostly empty. Without the student body there, you are basically just looking at buildings.

I think your child will be better off speaking to friends who graduated last year and went to attend the schools they are looking at.

But if you want, bring masks, and drive down and walk around. I don't think aerosol transmission is that high, and who cares if people at the campus are offended. Your child is already accepted and they will not rescind.

When is deadline? First week of May

Ozz
04-08-2020, 10:21 AM
So, some people showing up and wandering around for a few hours, staying far away from others to be respectful, and then leaving as quickly as they came? That won't be viewed as an act of profound selfishness or aggression?
I think you should be fine....wear masks/face coverings and no one will hassle you.

My son went thru the the college decision last year....can't imagine not being able to visit the schools.

Good luck!

robt57
04-08-2020, 10:22 AM
Apologize for being a downer here. One huge 'factor' is the risk you are putting on the folks back home upon return.

Factor; a circumstance, fact, or influence that contributes to a result or outcome.

What result or income is the question really. What ever percent of folks that justify any degree of higher risk in this time, well shouldn't.

I can't even go in the 'Should I go ride in NY thread"

XXtwindad
04-08-2020, 10:24 AM
I admire the optimism that there will be school in the Fall.

mhespenheide
04-08-2020, 10:26 AM
I know that, when I was considering which college to attend, I absolutely wanted to see the physical campus with my own eyes.

I would drive down. Stay in a single hotel room. Bring food for breakfast and either lunch or dinner. Minimize interactions, but I'd totally walk around to get a better feel for the place. If you think about the possibility of graduate school at one of the universities, you're talking about up to 6-8 years of his life.

Are you looking at any of the smaller colleges? My undergrad was Pomona College, and I wouldn't trade it for anywhere; the intimacy of a tight-knit community and the fact that basically everyone lived on campus was the deciding factor over UCSD for me.

Tickdoc
04-08-2020, 10:27 AM
I'd already be gassed up and going. Sure, it's not the same as a student led tour, but if it helps make a decision and they don't throw you out I say go for it. Is it dangerous right now? risky behavior? You could do much worse, and I dare say this is safer than going to a park or the grocery store at this moment in time. I just got back from a lovely California coast drive and there are plenty of beautiful and safe sights along the way to make the trip worth it even if the tour is a bust. Take pics too if you do go because they are likely to never be like that again. Best of luck and stay safe!

verticaldoug
04-08-2020, 10:28 AM
Apologize for being a downer here. One huge 'factor' is the risk you are putting on the folks back home upon return.

Factor; a circumstance, fact, or influence that contributes to a result or outcome.

What result or income is the question really. What ever percent of folks that justify any degree of higher risk in this time, well shouldn't.

I can't even go in the 'Should I go ride in NY thread"

Then quarantine for 14 days upon return. You have to ask what is the possible rate of infection if you practice proper mitigation, gloves, glasses, mask... Bring wipes ….

It's non zero but probably close to zero. The same can be said for the car drive. It is a non zero chance of dying in an accident. But the risk is practically zero...

The reality is as long as you are practicing social distancing and other measures, you risk is low. Very low. If it wasn't we'd be much much worse off here than we already are.

In my opinion, your mispricing the risk of infection much too high.
You can always call admissions, and ask if the campus is closed.

soupless
04-08-2020, 10:28 AM
I don't think anyone would chase you away.
Until they physically closed the parks they were as crowded as I'd ever seen them.
The streets are very busy, at least near me.

UCLA is beautiful and so is Pepperdine.

OtayBW
04-08-2020, 10:30 AM
I have heard that the virus can stay resident on hotel linens for ~days unless bleached (which they typically don't do), and certainly on comforters, etc. which are not regularly laundered. If it were me, I would call ahead and inquire about their housekeeping procedures - either at the local or corporate level - before I chose to stay somewhere. I've been in the bunker for a while, but I may have to venture out myself in the near future.

prototoast
04-08-2020, 10:31 AM
I believe technically you would be violating California's shelter in place order. From a practical standpoint if you wore masks, packed your own food, and avoided other people, the risk would be low. The biggest problem as I see it would be toilet access. Many public restrooms (or private with public access such as restaurants) are closed. It may be a real struggle to find a restroom, and if you do, make sure you bring your own hand sanitizer.

XXtwindad
04-08-2020, 10:31 AM
Then quarantine for 14 days upon return. You have to ask what is the possible rate of infection if you practice proper mitigation, gloves, glasses, mask... Bring wipes ….

It's non zero but probably close to zero. The same can be said for the car drive. It is a non zero chance of dying in an accident. But the risk is practically zero...

The reality is as long as you are practicing social distancing and other measures, you risk is low. Very low. If it wasn't we'd be much much worse off here than we already are.

In my opinion, your mispricing the risk of infection much too high.

Thanks for the very level headed perspective.

mtechnica
04-08-2020, 11:10 AM
I believe technically you would be violating California's shelter in place order. From a practical standpoint if you wore masks, packed your own food, and avoided other people, the risk would be low. The biggest problem as I see it would be toilet access. Many public restrooms (or private with public access such as restaurants) are closed. It may be a real struggle to find a restroom, and if you do, make sure you bring your own hand sanitizer.

+1, also campuses are closed except for essential staff / faculty so it’s possible that if their security catches you wandering around, they could ask you to leave. I think people are mostly worried about big groups so you’ll probably be fine.

tomato coupe
04-08-2020, 11:35 AM
I don't see the point of the trip. If campuses are shut down, you won't learn anything you can't learn from brochures or video tours. If your kid wants too get a feel for the campus, he would need to go when students are there and classes are in session. Start you kid's education now -- teach him about responsible behavior.

JasonF
04-08-2020, 11:37 AM
I live in central LA and traffic is nearly non-existent. By LA standards it's a zombie apocalypse.

My daughter goes to USC: campus is beautiful, and there is (in normal times) tons to see in the area (coliseum, museums, etc...). No one is around though. The area around campus isn't as sketchy as in the past but still, I wouldn't be wandering 10-15 blocks south of campus.

UCLA is pretty as is Pepperdine. LMU is a nice place to visit too. We just walked around UCLA and no one shooed us away. USC has historically had security that is 'more robust' (campus police are actually fully deputized LAPD officers who went through the academy and have full arrest capability). So they may ask what you're doing on campus.

No one can argue that UCLA is in a nicer part of LA than USC. Our daughter was lucky to get into both and she chose USC - ironically more diverse student body, easy to get around, it's super-close to downtown, walking to football games is a treat, etc...

Bring masks, at least where we go around central LA it's gauche NOT to wear a face mask in public.

akelman
04-08-2020, 11:41 AM
I don't see the point of the trip. If campuses are shut down, you won't learn anything you can't learn from brochures or video tours. If your kid wants too get a feel for the campus, he would need to go when students are there and classes are in session. Start you kid's education now -- teach him about responsible behavior.

The point is that it's hard to imagine yourself in a place when you've never visited that place, perhaps especially so for a seventeen-year-old prospective student. Beyond that, I'm well aware that bringing my kid on this trip might not be a good idea, thanks, which is why I sought feedback from people who know what's happening in LA.

To be clear, I'm trying to gauge how local people, in LA, are experiencing the pandemic, and how they might view this kind of visit from people who don't live in the city. That's why I sought their input. I'm not especially interested in people's thoughts on the value of college trips, full stop. I know plenty about that topic and have my own opinions.

Ken Robb
04-08-2020, 11:52 AM
A few days ago I drove around the UCSD Campus to see if it might be a place to walk our dogs since all parks are closed. Every entry to a grassy or woodsy area was blocked by crime scene tape and there were large sandwich board signs saying they were closed. I don't know if parking restrictions were still in place and so I did not explore the paved areas between buildings. The only people I saw were construction workers on several big projects on campus.

jtbadge
04-08-2020, 11:53 AM
If you don't come with it, you'll probably leave with it. Please stay home.

pdmtong
04-08-2020, 11:57 AM

tomato coupe
04-08-2020, 11:59 AM
I'm well aware that bringing my kid on this trip might not be a good idea, thanks, which is why I sought feedback from people who know what's happening in LA.

To be clear, I'm trying to gauge how local people, in LA, are experiencing the pandemic, and how they might view this kind of visit from people who don't live in the city. That's why I sought their input. I'm not especially interested in people's thoughts on the value of college trips, full stop. I know plenty about that topic and have my own opinions.
Okay, I think I understand. You don't care if this is irresponsible behavior -- you're just worried about whether it's perceived as irresponsible behavior.

cgolvin
04-08-2020, 12:04 PM
It would be helpful to know specifically which campuses your kid wants to visit. As you well know, "LA" is a big place and the situations in, e.g., Malibu (Pepperdine) and Pomona are not the same.

I live near, and went to elementary school on, the UCLA campus. You can see a lot of it from a car -- maybe not enough to justify the trip but, per the earlier comment regarding the absence of students, it won't be that different from walking around the eerily vacant environment. **EDIT** I haven't actually been near the campus so, per the comment above re: UCSD, it may very well be that all entrances are blocked.

Bear in mind that, at this moment, we are on more severe lockdown than the rest of the state (I believe). LA City health officials have asked that we avoid even going to the market unless absolutely necessary; that may not be true a week or two from now, but that's the current situation.

To answer your question, this LA native would strongly prefer that you stay put, for both your own and our safety. Thanks

AngryScientist
04-08-2020, 12:10 PM
Okay, I think I understand. You don't care if this is irresponsible behavior -- you're just worried about whether it's perceived as irresponsible behavior.

infraction given. this is not the way to talk to people. stop it.

tomato coupe
04-08-2020, 12:13 PM
infraction given. this is not the way to talk to people. stop it.
It's his words -- I'm just paraphrasing.

akelman
04-08-2020, 12:18 PM

No, I don't think you do understand. I wasn't seeking your opinion and don't want it. Does that make things clearer?

As for whether this is responsible, I was aware that the trip may not be good idea. After getting feedback from people who understand the situation in LA, I'm leaning toward staying home. Many thanks to those of you who have weighed in with firsthand information. I appreciate it.

akelman
04-08-2020, 12:21 PM
Bear in mind that, at this moment, we are on more severe lockdown than the rest of the state (I believe). LA City health officials have asked that we avoid even going to the market unless absolutely necessary; that may not be true a week or two from now, but that's the current situation.

To answer your question, this LA native would strongly prefer that you stay put, for both your own and our safety. Thanks

This, in particular, is very helpful. As I said above, we'd drive in, walk around, and then leave. We wouldn't interact with anyone. We'd be masked while there. But if Angelenos are feeling especially vulnerable—and given what's happening, why wouldn't they feel that way?—we'll skip it. Given the precautions we can take and the apparent ways the virus is transmitted, we're not concerned about our own safety. But it's definitely not worth it to us to risk making anyone feel more anxious.

echappist
04-08-2020, 12:21 PM
The point is that it's hard to imagine yourself in a place when you've never visited that place, perhaps especially so for a seventeen-year-old prospective student. Beyond that, I'm well aware that bringing my kid on this trip might not be a good idea, thanks, which is why I sought feedback from people who know what's happening in LA.

I preface this by saying that I usually agree with most of your posts I have read.

Your question really has two components: (1) what is the risk to your family and to those locally, and (2) what is your ethical duty at a time such as this. Quite a few responses addressed (1), and I have full confidence you can do the risk-mitigation part well. However, the mitigation of risk by no means moots the consideration for (2).

As best as I could understand from your post (alas, inference, and I apologize if I read you incorrectly), it would appear that approval (or non-protest) from locals would affect whether you would make the trip. That's fair enough, but what exactly does that do? Do their opinions (even if reflective of populace at large, which is obviously not the case) constitute a pass for you? And why is it that their opinion would even matter at this point? I'm sure that some posters are indeed eminently qualified to give public health assessments, but no one responding has identified him/herself as such. You appear to be seeking approval of a narrow slice of the local population, reasoning that if they think it's okay, then it must be okay.

The question you should to be asking is, were I to ask Mayor Garcetti or his public health staff the same question (obviously counterfactual), what would be the response? Alternatively, were you a resident of a college town, how would your mayor respond to request to visit? You may very well believe you have a special case meriting special consideration; perhaps so, but this is not the time to carve out special dispensations for oneself.

XXtwindad
04-08-2020, 12:22 PM

Nick, this just isn't fair. I'm with Tomato. I understand that this may warrant an infraction on my end, and I'm OK with that. The OP launched into an extended psychoanalysis of me (and had some valid points as well as an unintended insight into his own psyche) that was much more insulting. I didn't really care, because he has no relevance to my life, and again, somewhere in there he had some valid points.

But Tomato's perceived infractions were much less personal than the OPs. His critique seemed logical.

flying
04-08-2020, 12:23 PM
Anyone in LA? I'd like to head down for an important but not urgent visit.

I am not in LA but just read this past Saturday they had their worst day so far with 28 dead in 24 hours I believe it was.
22 more yesterday (Tuesday)

Given what you said about not urgent .....I would pass myself

But my wife & I have a simple plan & that is basically minimized exposure = minimized risk

akelman
04-08-2020, 12:28 PM
The question you should to be asking is, were I to ask Mayor Garcetti or his public health staff the same question (obviously counterfactual), what would be the response? Alternatively, were you a resident of a college town, how would your mayor respond to request to visit? You may very well believe you have a special case meriting special consideration; perhaps so, but this is not the time to carve out special dispensations for oneself.

Absolutely don't think our case is special or merits special consideration. After hearing from people in this thread and doing a bit more research, we won't be taking the trip. As for people coming here, some of them are. Nobody seems especially fussed, but our situation is VERY different from LA's.

rwsaunders
04-08-2020, 12:34 PM
You might want to make the deposit to his current favorite if 01 May is still the traditional commitment date, and/or ask for a commitment extension from his other favorites, then travel when restrictions ease. Housing and roommate assignments take place later in the Summer, which is the biggest issue.

Have they published orientation dates, as I recall one of my kids going right after he graduated from HS, one attending in the Summer and one attending right before she started school? I feel for your kid and others like him, with the end of high school activities essentially being abandoned and college tours and accepted student days are very memorable events. Could be worse, that's for sure, so hang in there.

jimcav
04-08-2020, 01:22 PM
I know you've already decided not to go, but I think the point of physically walking the campus can be useful--see the setting, what is within walking distance, would you want a car, or a bike, etc. Obviously much better when you can also get the vibe of the stuent body and the people and activities going on in and around the campus.

However, that isn't going to be the scenario for months. LA county just mandated all patrons and workers wear masks in any retail setting. I imagine San Diego County will soon follow suit. Everything public here near me is already crime-scene-taped off: all paths, beaches, parks.

I'm in a similar boat (oldest is a "rising senior") and plan to do campus visits, but just am monitoring for a better time between now and the fall.

I'm making my kid visit campusreel vids for select schools---6 per week since we've gone to e-learning

akelman
04-08-2020, 01:27 PM
I know you've already decided not to go, but I think the point of physically walking the campus can be useful--see the setting, what is within walking distance, would you want a car, or a bike, etc. Obviously much better when you can also get the vibe of the stuent body and the people and activities going on in and around the campus.

However, that isn't going to be the scenario for months. LA county just mandated all patrons and workers wear masks in any retail setting. I imagine San Diego County will soon follow suit. Everything public here near me is already crime-scene-taped off: all paths, beaches, parks.

I'm in a similar boat (oldest is a "rising senior") and plan to do campus visits, but just am monitoring for a better time between now and the fall.

I'm making my kid visit campusreel vids for select schools---6 per week since we've gone to e-learning

Yup. I hadn't realized that Mayor Garcetti was effectively pleading with people to stay home, to the point that he's asked Angelenos to put off food shopping. Again, I very much appreciate the input from locals. As I said above, our situation here is very different. We're wearing masks. We're practicing social distancing. But people are still out and about to shop for food, go for walks, etc.

SoCalSteve
04-08-2020, 01:42 PM
Yup. I hadn't realized that Mayor Garcetti was effectively pleading with people to stay home, to the point that he's asked Angelenos to put off food shopping. Again, I very much appreciate the input from locals. As I said above, our situation here is very different. We're wearing masks. We're practicing social distancing. But people are still out and about to shop for food, go for walks, etc.

This times 1000!

Please, just wait a couple of weeks and reassess then. We are truly doing our part to slow this down, please help us out and do the same. If, in a couple weeks, Garcetti says it’s “ safer “ to go out, then please, by all means come visit our city and the campuses.

Until then, be safe, stay safe and please, please stay at home.

We all thank you for this.

SoCalSteve
04-08-2020, 01:44 PM
It would be helpful to know specifically which campuses your kid wants to visit. As you well know, "LA" is a big place and the situations in, e.g., Malibu (Pepperdine) and Pomona are not the same.

I live near, and went to elementary school on, the UCLA campus. You can see a lot of it from a car -- maybe not enough to justify the trip but, per the earlier comment regarding the absence of students, it won't be that different from walking around the eerily vacant environment. **EDIT** I haven't actually been near the campus so, per the comment above re: UCSD, it may very well be that all entrances are blocked.

Again, this...please.

vqdriver
04-08-2020, 01:56 PM
as a local with tons of family in front line health care and also lots of older and immuncompromised family i think i'm able to see both sides of this. i think for the most part, your visit would more than likely go unnoticed and probably without consequence. buuuutt,, we prefer you don't. just chill for like another month and reassess. nothing will have changed with the campuses so a visit now or in the summer shouldn't affect your son's decision.

practically speaking, i don't think a visit now would be that informative anyway. i know campuses are closed and campus security are patrolling to keep people out. aside from prospective students, there's lots of locals who are looking for open spaces to pass the time so they're pretty well practiced in escorting people off campus. the most you'd get out of it is maybe a drive around the perimeter. also, one of the main points to these visits is not just the campus proper, but the off campus life/shops/restaurants/dorms/neighborhood/general vibe/etc, maybe a visit to a specific department or sitting in on a class. none of which would be observable now anyway.
not worth the trip down if you ask me.

definitely come down in the summer, you'll still have time before making a decision.

akelman
04-08-2020, 02:00 PM
definitely come down in the summer, you'll still have time before making a decision.

Not that it matters, but this isn't right. So called "decision day" is May 1.

akelman
04-08-2020, 02:01 PM
But seriously, it doesn't matter. I was seeking advice precisely because I didn't know the situation and was reading conflicting reports online. Having now heard in this thread from local people and having done more research, the decision is made.

AngryScientist
04-08-2020, 02:03 PM
But seriously, it doesn't matter. I was seeking advice precisely because I didn't know the situation and was reading conflicting reports online. Having now heard in this thread from local people and having done more research, the decision is made.

since it sounds like the OP question has been resolved, i will close the thread. akelman, if you would like it to remain open, please PM me. thank you all.