PDA

View Full Version : Trainer rocker plates?

mtechnica
04-07-2020, 08:53 AM
Are there any pre made ones that don’t cost a fortune?

glepore
04-07-2020, 10:58 AM
Not really-there is a facebook group that has a couple guys building them. They're not cheap to ship which is the issue.
I build one with simple hand tools and some amazon parts for under $100. Really like it. You'd need someone to cut a sheet of mdf for you if you don't have a saw. Can post details if you want.

Dekonick
04-07-2020, 11:20 AM
Not really-there is a facebook group that has a couple guys building them. They're not cheap to ship which is the issue.
I build one with simple hand tools and some amazon parts for under $100. Really like it. You'd need someone to cut a sheet of mdf for you if you don't have a saw. Can post details if you want.

Please do! Pics!!! :banana:

C40_guy
04-07-2020, 12:42 PM

Back in the good old days, you could buy a sheet of mdf at Home Depot and have one of the guys in lumber cut it to your exact measurements. I recently had them rip down plywood for me (for a bookcase). So much easier than transporting as a 4x8 sheet and ripping at home.

makoti
04-07-2020, 12:46 PM

I built one for $55. It is rear only, so takes up a lot less space. Uses tennis balls for springs, can adjust how much rock by where you places the balls.

glepore
04-07-2020, 12:50 PM
Please do! Pics!!! :banana:

Rather than reinvent the wheel, here's a link to my post across the hall on this:

https://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f2/movable-platform-your-trainer-54126-2.html?highlight=trainer+platform#post991585

saab2000
04-07-2020, 02:55 PM
I know this isn’t what the OP was asking about but I’m hoping to invest in the Saris MP1 for next winter. The reports are generally pretty positive.

That said, I’d sure like to try one at a shop first.

mtechnica
04-07-2020, 03:05 PM
I have the tools and expertise to build one based off of some of the plans so I might have to just do it. I’ve been feeling lazy and am gainfully employed so I was hoping there might be something decent I can just buy, but $900+ is just too much.

makoti
04-07-2020, 03:09 PM
I know this isn’t what the OP was asking about but I’m hoping to invest in the Saris MP1 for next winter. The reports are generally pretty positive.

That said, I’d sure like to try one at a shop first.

I got as far as the price. $1200? Maybe if I was going to routinely ride inside for 3-4 hours. Or if I was for some reason ONLY riding inside. That's a lot of GU I could buy...

glepore
04-07-2020, 03:20 PM
I have the tools and expertise to build one based off of some of the plans so I might have to just do it. I’ve been feeling lazy and am gainfully employed so I was hoping there might be something decent I can just buy, but $900+ is just too much.

I have an hour, maybe less in mine. Some folks are using linear bearings rather than pillow blocks, to allow fore/aft motion but I don't know that it adds much.

One caution, the pillow blocks and rod I linked are very tight interference fit, I had to put the pillow blocks in a 250 oven for a while and the rod in the fridge.

gone
04-07-2020, 03:59 PM

One real downside of the Saris (and presumably any rocker plate) for me is that you can't use the Kickr Climb on it.

Although the Climb isn't a "must have", it adds a nice bit of realism to riding a smart trainer so in effect you're trading one bit of realism (the Climb) for another (the Saris). It'd be nice if you could have both.

saab2000
04-07-2020, 04:13 PM
I got as far as the price. $1200? Maybe if I was going to routinely ride inside for 3-4 hours. Or if I was for some reason ONLY riding inside. That's a lot of GU I could buy...

Where I live in the western Chicagoland area winter riding isn’t really a viable option for several months, making Gu purchases moot.

It’s a lot of scratch for that MP1, I’ll totally admit it. But if it helps me to increase, in a meaningful way, my winter training, it might be money well spent.

As to the Kickr Climb, I’ve not used that. I’d be curious, but decreasing the fatigue of sitting on the stationary machine, I think I’d take the motion and rhythm of the natural motion over the tilt.

loxx0050
04-07-2020, 04:14 PM
Rather than reinvent the wheel, here's a link to my post across the hall on this:

https://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f2/movable-platform-your-trainer-54126-2.html?highlight=trainer+platform#post991585

Can't view the pictures you have on that other forum as I'm not a member there. But from the description you have it is similar to how I built my rocker plate (Pillow block bearings, steel rod) but I used 9" core/yoga balls instead (2 of them) as they had the same type of valves as sports balls (football, volleyball, playground balls, etc). Plus they had some pretty high burst resistance too (rated to 700lbs each). Here is the link (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CW68TGM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) of the yoga balls I got but it seems Amazon doesn't carry them at the moment (I end up adding air once every few months when I remember).

I also bought a 4x8 sheet of plywood at Home Depot and they can cut it for you (2 cuts free) and had them cut it into equal thirds (along the 8' direction). Bolted the pillow blocks using threaded inserts typically used for wood crate building (3 pronged ones you hammer into a drilled hole). A 60" piece of steel shelving bar (cut in 2) was also used as a lateral support structure in front and back of the trainer on the underside of the rocker plate itself. Used remaining pieces of the 4x8 board to build a leveling front wheel stand (no rocking on that) and a step to aid getting on/off the trainer (2x4 was used for the feet). Here is a pic of the finished product when I first made it just over a year ago:

https://i.imgur.com/kAOSYn7.jpg?3

glepore
04-07-2020, 06:30 PM
Nice. Mine is full length, with 5in balls-4. Same basic concept.

GScot
04-07-2020, 06:45 PM
Not exactly helpful but somewhat relevant. I have the Kinetic R1 direct mount trainer that allows rocking. Having some side to side motion and/or flex makes the trainer much more comfortable for me. In my opinion, you're on a worthy mission to add a rocker. Good luck.

And for anyone interested in the R1 it has been an excellent smart trainer as both myself and my wife use it. Only quirks it seems to have are probably due to the software used to control it. When power demands change on Zwift there is a lag, it can take several seconds or more before the resistance catches up with what is called for on-screen but it matches when lowering the resistance so it means nothing with respect to the workout. When used with Sufferfest the resistance change is what I'd call smooth but instant. The lag time to change resistance is much smaller and it is triggered ahead of time so that the resistance changes right on cue with the display.

mtechnica
04-07-2020, 06:49 PM
Yeah, I have a kickr snap but if I could do it again I'd get one that rocks. I think for my riding style, it would be very beneficial. Trying to sprint on the trainer for example is a joke.

loxx0050
04-07-2020, 07:27 PM
:fight:Yeah, I have a kickr snap but if I could do it again I'd get one that rocks. I think for my riding style, it would be very beneficial. Trying to sprint on the trainer for example is a joke.

Honestly even with the rocker plate sprinting is still kind of awkward since the lean and leg position is opposite of real riding. You start rocking towards the side that is on the downstroke on the plate. It still feels not natural but makes you less scared of damaging the bike. And less pressure on knee joints (for me at least).

If I had to get a new setup I'm considering a Kickr with a Inside ride e-Flex full motion rocker system (tilts and has fore/aft movement). For nearly a 1/3 of the price of that Saris MP1 setup. I'd pay what they are asking for that setup considering it's design and function.

Some have built their rockers using skateboard trucks. One guy has a design with a drawing with parts list that uses cabinet door hinges, 2x4 and some foam pads for rocker adjustment. It's pretty simple and ingenious. He has a video of the design and build process out there. When I tried to download the drawing the source I found it from was corrupted so all the text was encrypted.

old fat man
04-07-2020, 08:38 PM
I built the one with cabinet hinges and foam piping. I had some adequate plywood (a disassembled old cabinet) to use. Best $25 and 2 hrs I've spent in regards to indoor training. I use a kickr core with trainerroad watching Netflix or HBO. My trainer bike doesn't shift, always in erg mode

saab2000
04-07-2020, 08:42 PM
:fight:

Honestly even with the rocker plate sprinting is still kind of awkward since the lean and leg position is opposite of real riding. You start rocking towards the side that is on the downstroke on the plate. It still feels not natural but makes you less scared of damaging the bike. And less pressure on knee joints (for me at least).

If I had to get a new setup I'm considering a Kickr with a Inside ride e-Flex full motion rocker system (tilts and has fore/aft movement). For nearly a 1/3 of the price of that Saris MP1 setup. I'd pay what they are asking for that setup considering it's design and function.

Some have built their rockers using skateboard trucks. One guy has a design with a drawing with parts list that uses cabinet door hinges, 2x4 and some foam pads for rocker adjustment. It's pretty simple and ingenious. He has a video of the design and build process out there. When I tried to download the drawing the source I found it from was corrupted so all the text was encrypted.

That e-flex system definitely looks interesting and the price is way more appealing. Additionally, the handlebars aren’t locked in place. Looks good.

trener1
04-07-2020, 09:18 PM
I just want to jump into the climb vs rocker plate, while I have neither and I don't to buy either one anytime soon, but with the lock-down and having ridden my Kickr more in the last 3 weeks then I ever have before, what I think about on every ride, is "man it would be nice if the bike rocked a bit" but I have never once thought "oh man, I wish the front end went up now"

RKW
04-08-2020, 08:02 AM
For the cost of the saris, I'd just buy insideride rollers with the Floating fork stand. gets you everything you want (rocking and side to side motion), plus smart trainer. plus rollers, should you ever care to learn how to ride them (which you don't have to do if you use the floating fork stand)

s4life
12-30-2020, 12:50 AM
this
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/lifeline-rocker-plate/rp-prod198574?gs=1&sku=sku798082

or this
https://road.cc/content/tech-news/248993-sbr-rockr-pro-launched-elevate-your-indoor-training-rocker-plate

Seem to be better bang for the buck and I've read some reviews that seem to indicate that the Kickr climb sits on top without any issues.

Anyone tried this combo?

Upcountry
12-30-2020, 10:39 AM
I drank the "rocker plate" Kool-Aid a couple years ago and still love it. I went the home-built route, as I don't think any commercially made options were even available at the time. It's the typical pillow block bearing design along a single axle running lengthwise. With hundreds of hours logged on this thing, I can't imagine not having it. Last week I did several 2-3hr sessions that would've been brutal on a rigid setup. I did make my setup so that it's adjustable for wheelbase, by sliding the whole front block along a flush mounted T-track, and I can actually raise the front wheel by a few inches, by moving the "pegs" closer together in the block that I built. Honestly I have only used this function on my TT bike to get the front end a bit higher and more comfortable.
All in, I bet I spent $250 on it, as I used nice cabinet grade Baltic Birch and stuff, but you could certainly do it for less.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50778983713_a2e44e656e_c.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50779751106_b5d6792059_c.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50778982273_fbd79ce169_c.jpg

saab2000
12-30-2020, 10:49 AM
I bought the Saris MP1. The fore/aft movement is great. It’s not much but it makes it more natural on a trainer.

I had the spare cash and the room for it, but the price is tough to stomach.

Veloo
12-30-2020, 10:54 AM
Or something as simple as this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPFqeS40pS4

Plum Hill
12-30-2020, 11:11 AM
Developed by a St. Louis bike shop.
https://www.rockrindoortraining.com/

purplecu22
12-30-2020, 01:10 PM
i built mine for 26 dollars.

yep 26 dollars. will never ride without it again

never have to air it up, never will break.

Alan
12-11-2021, 07:32 AM
Developed by a St. Louis bike shop.
https://www.rockrindoortraining.com/

I need to do something as I have no cartilage in one knee so getting some arthritic pain.

Alan

tuxbailey
12-11-2021, 08:47 AM
I need to do something as I have no cartilage in one knee so getting some arthritic pain.

Alan

If you have a Kickr, I still think that the e-flex system is a very well designed and reasonably priced system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

professerr
12-11-2021, 11:06 AM
For the cost of the saris, I'd just buy insideride rollers with the Floating fork stand. gets you everything you want (rocking and side to side motion), plus smart trainer. plus rollers, should you ever care to learn how to ride them (which you don't have to do if you use the floating fork stand)

This. Rollers provide a much, much more normal motion than some ($1,200!!) rocker plate thing-y. It takes all of 15 minutes to "learn" to ride rollers -- really you're just learning to trust that you won't fall over riding a bike that doesn't move forward. After several sessions you'll be riding no hands. And all your friends will be impressed with how smooth you look on the road.

I think I've converted a couple dozen fixed trainer devotees, and few go back.
With all the various options for resistance, the only downside I see to rollers is they can be noisier than other options.

thwart
12-11-2021, 11:52 AM
This. Rollers provide a much, much more normal motion than some ($1,200!!) rocker plate thing-y. It takes all of 15 minutes to "learn" to ride rollers -- really you're just learning to trust that you won't fall over riding a bike that doesn't move forward. After several sessions you'll be riding no hands. And all your friends will be impressed with how smooth you look on the road.

I think I've converted a couple dozen fixed trainer devotees, and few go back.
With all the various options for resistance, the only downside I see to rollers is they can be noisier than other options.

This, again. Rollers have made me a smoother, safer, better cyclist.

Just can't see trainers offering those benefits.

Hellgate
12-11-2021, 12:12 PM
Honest question, what's a rocker supposed to do?

makoti
12-11-2021, 12:25 PM

It is supposed to give the bike more of live feel and relieve pressure and stress on your butt.
My experience was it did allow me to ride longer inside, but put stresses on my lower back that were different than outside riding. Overall, a net minus for me.

Hellgate
12-11-2021, 01:14 PM
Interesting, thank you

tomato coupe
12-11-2021, 01:46 PM

I have the same question, and also about the Kickr Climby thingy. Is it just to make riding Zwift more like riding outside?

It is supposed to give the bike more of live feel and relieve pressure and stress on your butt.
How does it relieve butt pressure?

makoti
12-11-2021, 09:02 PM
I have the same question, and also about the Kickr Climby thingy. Is it just to make riding Zwift more like riding outside?

How does it relieve butt pressure?

Well, the motion allows for movement in the saddle that you don't get with a static setup so that's one way. Then the method of suspension can allow a little give when you pedal, where a static bike won't. In theory.
The climb supposedly recreates the muscle activation of actually climbing. When it's not breaking the belt in it, of course.

RacerJRP
12-11-2021, 10:20 PM
Have not read through this, but I just picked up the Inside Ride E-Flex for my Wahoo CORE, and it's pretty dang good. Gives a lot of movement, as needed, with a very small footprint.

Very fair price, well made, would recommend.

Spdntrxi
12-11-2021, 10:41 PM
fore/aft is the game changer... tilt is ok

mtechnica
12-11-2021, 10:45 PM
fore/aft is the game changer... tilt is ok

Is it more comfortable?

Spdntrxi
12-11-2021, 10:52 PM
Is it more comfortable?

yes it helps even more.

my limit is 40min on a static setup and I'm numb at that point.

Ewiser
12-13-2021, 10:58 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211213/3b45f89b86fa0eb72da65e9f6911cde8.jpg

The Selle SMP well saddle has made a big difference in my indoor riding.
I was riding the same saddle as my outdoor bike. A San Marco Rolls.
I have gone from 1 hour rides to 2 hour rides since switching saddles. Felt after a year that the outdoor saddle was to uncomfortable and needed something with better sit bone support.
An this was the answer. So many just ride the same saddle inside. Where the riding is completely different.

sparky33
12-13-2021, 12:45 PM
a few years ago, an engineer ride-pal made a batch of rockers for our ride group. He designed it and had the wood cnc’d, and then we all helped with the assembly and finish work. This one uses two small playground balls to provide adjustable resistance.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211213/7f3a6c3df51a31e45d1547b5ceed929b.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211213/f7146aa5b2f1a7d66310947f54c33444.jpg

sparky33
12-13-2021, 12:50 PM

The rocker allows a bit of side to side tilt when pedaling. It is definitely a more realistic feeling when the bike is rocking slightly versus when the bike is totally rigid. It's similar to what happens out on the road.
By trial and error, I found that a somewhat firm resistance to rocking feels just right. The whole set up alleviates discomfort on longer Zwift rides.

fwiw, the Kickr AXIS feet are intended to offer some rocker motion, but in reality, they provide only a very tiny amount of movement.

makoti
12-13-2021, 02:26 PM
a few years ago, an engineer ride-pal made a batch of rockers for our ride group. He designed it and had the wood cnc’d, and then we all helped with the assembly and finish work. This one uses two small playground balls to provide adjustable resistance.

That looks very similar to what I built. Used tennis balls. Worked well. I've seen them use yoga half balls, wheel barrow inner tubes, pool noodles.