PDA

View Full Version : OT: Fitness Tracker for kids

trener1
04-06-2020, 02:39 PM
I am curious if anyone with kids has them use a fitness tracker?.
I have a Garmin watch and my 6 year old son is always wanting to look at it and see how many steps I have taken etc...
I am thinking about getting him a Vivofit JR, bt I am wondering if it might be to distracting for him at school (who knows when that will be), and also if there are any privacy issues with kids?.

Has anyone gotten their kid one of these?

benb
04-06-2020, 03:26 PM
We gave our 7-year old a Fitbit Charge last Christmas.

It works fine, but he's already lost interest in wearing it.

The interesting thing with kids is they have little legs.. their step counts are bonkers high. If you walk 1 mile with them at the same pace they'll have at least 2x the steps you do.

Who knows.. kids are all different, maybe your child will like it more. But like everything else kids move on faster than adults.

trener1
04-06-2020, 03:29 PM
I am wondering if the Vivofit JR, accounts for that since it is designed for kids

benb
04-06-2020, 04:03 PM
Sorry.. not a Fitbit Charge.

Fitbit Ace 2 - which is designed for kids.

The other weird aspect of it is I think the charging annoyed him. You take it off to charge it, and then he decided he didn't want to put it back on, or we'd be in a rush in the morning to get to the bus and forget to take Fitbit off the charger. It needed to be charged pretty regularly, maybe every 48 hours?

It's not very big, and wears a lot of the rubber "cause type" bracelets all the time. Way more than I ever would have as a kid.

The Garmin is better.. 1 year battery life, that'd have probably helped make things stick. My wife wanted to get the Fitbit for some reason.. probably Facebook friend influence or something. We had crap luck with Fitbits compared to Garmins ourselves, not sure why she would have been swayed. The Star Wars or Avengers theme would probably help appeal to boys too.