PDA

View Full Version : Cable routing hack for Campy Pre vs Post 2015?

Jimbo
04-06-2020, 09:31 AM
Hello All:
I just picked up a nice set of post 2015 Chorus shifters. These are not compatible with my stack of pre 2015 derailleurs but I wonder if there might be a cable routing hack? I used to make my old Campy 9s shift Shimano Sram cassettes perfectly with a minor hack and was hoping there is something similar for pre vs post 2015 stuff.
Thanks in advance and stay safe,
Jim

Dave
04-06-2020, 03:55 PM
I've used a precision dial indicator setup to measure the cable pulls of both models. I can tell you for certain that the new shifters pull more cable. Knowing that, you may find it adequate to cheat a little with the limit screws to prevent over travel and get by, using the new shifter with the old RDs.

I'd try that first because the other option is to somehow slightly lengthen the lever arm length to lessen the travel.

With the opposite combination, I've ground down th threads on the cable clamp bolt to the root of the thread to reduce the lever arm length and increase the RD travel. I used a 10 speed RD with early 11 speed shifters this way and it worked well enough.

Jimbo
04-06-2020, 04:26 PM
Great info Dave! Do you happen to recall the % difference between the two?
Stay safe,
Jim

I've used a precision dial indicator setup to measure the cable pulls of both models. I can tell you for certain that the new shifters pull more cable. Knowing that, you may find it adequate to cheat a little with the limit screws to prevent over travel and get by, using the new shifter with the old RDs.

I'd try that first because the other option is to somehow slightly lengthen the lever arm length to lessen the travel.

With the opposite combination, I've ground down th threads on the cable clamp bolt to the root of the thread to reduce the lever arm length and increase the RD travel. I used a 10 speed RD with early 11 speed shifters this way and it worked well enough.

Dave
04-07-2020, 09:25 AM
Great info Dave! Do you happen to recall the % difference between the two?
Stay safe,
Jim

To keep it short, the total pull for the older model is 28.5mm and the new model is 31mm. That's almost 9%.

oldpotatoe
04-07-2020, 09:26 AM
Hello All:
I just picked up a nice set of post 2015 Chorus shifters. These are not compatible with my stack of pre 2015 derailleurs but I wonder if there might be a cable routing hack? I used to make my old Campy 9s shift Shimano Sram cassettes perfectly with a minor hack and was hoping there is something similar for pre vs post 2015 stuff.
Thanks in advance and stay safe,
Jim

Just set it up normally and see..it'll be fine. 'They' say a 11s rear der won't work with 10s ERGO and viola, it does really well..done that more than once.

Jimbo
04-07-2020, 11:01 AM
Great, thank you. I'll see if I can re route the cable to give me a bit less travel.

To keep it short, the total pull for the older model is 28.5mm and the new model is 31mm. That's almost 9%.

Jimbo
04-07-2020, 11:02 AM
Thanks, that's even easier than a cable hack!

Just set it up normally and see..it'll be fine. 'They' say a 11s rear der won't work with 10s ERGO and viola, it does really well..done that more than once.