PDA

View Full Version : New Shimano brifter cable exit area

Veloo
04-05-2020, 04:42 PM
Is it just me or do the new Shimano levers have the cables pretty far from the bars?
The gear cable/ housing is on the inner side now. The brake cable exits somewhat close to where the old levers had it.
This is Tiagra 4700.
Sure angles the cables and housings away from the bars.

Is this for some newer carbon bars that have internal routing points in this area?

eddief
04-05-2020, 05:07 PM
make that a non-issue?

oldpotatoe
04-06-2020, 06:24 AM
make that a non-issue?

Yup and make sure the cables/housing are 'seated' before you tape 'em.

Veloo
04-06-2020, 08:29 AM
The geometry of the bars and the position where the rider wants the lever looks to be contributing factors.
The brake isn't so bad but the gear is directed away from the bar profile more.

eddief
04-06-2020, 09:51 AM
the placement of that shifter looks like it would make for an uncomfortable position for ever riding on the hoods, and if the shifter was moved up the cable would be closer to the bars. it also looks as if there could be a bit more slack in the cables then taping em to the bars would probably be easier.

prototoast
04-06-2020, 10:14 AM
I think the issue here are your handlebars and your shifter position, not your shifters. The shifters are designed to pair with more modern shaped bars with more modern shifter position (essentially, creating a smooth transition from the top of the bars to the hoods of the shifters).

For more details, see: https://cyclingtips.com/2018/09/how-to-set-up-road-bike-drop-handlebars-tips-guidelines/

Veloo
04-06-2020, 10:27 AM
Was thinking the same thing. Matched more toward the current bar style where the top of the bar to the hoods is more horizontal.
These do have a steeper drop angle.
Not my bike though and don’t think the owner is up for more spending on this.

I think the issue here are your handlebars and your shifter position, not your shifters. The shifters are designed to pair with more modern shaped bars with more modern shifter position (essentially, creating a smooth transition from the top of the bars to the hoods of the shifters).

For more details, see: https://cyclingtips.com/2018/09/how-to-set-up-road-bike-drop-handlebars-tips-guidelines/