PDA

View Full Version : ...

Clean39T
04-05-2020, 02:16 PM

gbcoupe
04-05-2020, 02:33 PM
Anyone able to ID if this would have been built prior to them transferring production?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Torelli-Mondonico-lugged-steel-road-bike-frame-columbus-w-carbon-fork-60cm/383459048907

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/vaYAAOSw~qVeak89/s-l500.jpg

Seller says a friend bought it new in 2007 at a shop in Goleta, CA.

It's the same as one shown on South Salem Frameworks' site: http://www.sscycleworks.com/bicycles-for-sale/mondonico-frames-sale.html

Measures are perfect for me. Not that I need another bike, or project.

Can't answer your build question. That frame in my size, has been on my list of wants for a long time. I'm on a spouse imposed buying lock-down. Which means I'll find one real soon.

Buy it and try it if you can.

slambers3
04-05-2020, 02:34 PM
I don’t know the precise date when Antonio retired (a quick search indicated it might have been 2006) however at that price for that frame I wouldn’t hesitate to pull the trigger. I owned an ELOS c1994 and it was truly an exquisite frame.

Coffee Rider
04-05-2020, 02:37 PM
Neither do I, but that shop seems to have one in my size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coffee Rider
04-05-2020, 02:43 PM
Neither do I, but that shop seems to have one in my size.

That was with regard to also not needing another bike or project.

ultraman6970
04-05-2020, 02:53 PM
THat is a nice frame for sure... columbus EL -OS... rides similar to max and maybe tad lighter, have a concorde with those tubes and the thing is just fantastic. The only that bothers me is that darn fork. Find a EL-OS fork with any logo... put putty in the logos, acrylic primer, primer sealer, white and then the red on top and good to go.

tctyres
04-05-2020, 03:59 PM
It's the same as one shown on South Salem Frameworks' site: http://www.sscycleworks.com/bicycles-for-sale/mondonico-frames-sale.html

Measures are perfect for me. Not that I need another bike, or project.

I think the one on South Salem's site is the next size smaller. The headtube is shorter.

Clean39T
04-05-2020, 04:12 PM
I think the one on South Salem's site is the next size smaller. The headtube is shorter.Just meant same model/build..

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

tv_vt
04-05-2020, 06:27 PM
Hey, it's red, and it's got a pump peg. What more do you want? ;)

merckxman
04-05-2020, 06:49 PM
Bill McGann, who imported Mondonico frames, wrote "shop was closed in early 2006". His contact info at: https://www.bikeraceinfo.com/contact-us.html

Clean39T
04-05-2020, 07:37 PM
Bill McGann, who imported Mondonico frames, wrote "shop was closed in early 2006". His contact info at: https://www.bikeraceinfo.com/contact-us.htmlWhat a cool site - and he's just down the road from me...

JasonF
04-05-2020, 07:51 PM
I owned a monostay EL-OS...the ride was amazing: so smooth and the best feeling steel bike I've ridden next to my Kirk.

Build quality was top notch and paint quality was superb. I believe frames were sent to the U.S. unpainted and then Torelli shot Dupont Imron.

The stock seat angle is 74.5 but my bike felt a lot steeper and I couldn't get a dialed-in fit (always felt like I was being pushed over the bars). Very race-oriented.

Not sure what you mean by transferring production: Antonio Mondonico retired around 2005-2006.

zmudshark
04-05-2020, 08:02 PM
Going off memory, but I do believe that is an Antonio built frame.

Clean39T
04-05-2020, 08:11 PM
I owned a monostay EL-OS...the ride was amazing: so smooth and the best feeling steel bike I've ridden next to my Kirk.

Build quality was top notch and paint quality was superb. I believe frames were sent to the U.S. unpainted and then Torelli shot Dupont Imron.

The stock seat angle is 74.5 but my bike felt a lot steeper and I couldn't get a dialed-in fit (always felt like I was being pushed over the bars). Very race-oriented.

Not sure what you mean by transferring production: Antonio Mondonico retired around 2005-2006.

Sweet! The seat-tube on the 60cm is 73.5 - which is still quite steep..

I would of course prefer a steel fork. We'll see.

I thought after they retired someone else took the brand for a bit - think I read that on some forum posts, maybe here.

JasonF
04-05-2020, 08:35 PM
Sweet! The seat-tube on the 60cm is 73.5 - which is still quite steep..

I would of course prefer a steel fork. We'll see.

I thought after they retired someone else took the brand for a bit - think I read that on some forum posts, maybe here.

I think his son worked with him for a time before moving on to Columbus. Antonio did a farewell tour in the mid-2000s and I stupidly didn't go to my local dealer at the time (Bikyle) and get measured for a frame.

zmudshark
04-05-2020, 08:41 PM
https://www.smartcycles.com/ilmassimo

When the legendary Italian builder Antonio Mondonico decided to retire, two individuals were suddenly struck with the same question: What's next? First, his son Mauro, who had been at his father's side for many years as assistant, apprentice, business manager, interpreter, and many other titles in the family business. Second was the owner of Smart Cycles - Alex Stanek - who had been one of Mondinico's biggest fans, evangelists, and dealers.

colker
04-06-2020, 06:44 AM

What size is it? If it´s a 52cm then a 74.5 seat angle is not that unusual on an italian frame. A 54 Colnago has 74 seat angle.

Clean39T
04-06-2020, 11:12 AM
This one's tough, but I think I'm going to let it go. If anyone is interested in it, he's offered it direct (via Craigslist (https://slo.craigslist.org/bik/7104045749.html)) for $500 shipped or $400 local.

I like the design, color, and pedigree, but 73.5 STA with a 59TT isn't quite right and I'd prefer a steel fork.

Pegoready
04-06-2020, 11:34 AM
Thanks to you guys I went down a very deep wormhole last night about Mondonico, Torelli, Bill McGann, the builders of Northern Italy, etc. I now really want to try a Monostay EL-OS in a 57-58 :eek:

Clean39T
04-06-2020, 11:38 AM
Thanks to you guys I went down a very deep wormhole last night about Mondonico, Torelli, Bill McGann, the builders of Northern Italy, etc. I now really want to try a Monostay EL-OS in a 57-58 :eek:

You're welcome :banana:

tv_vt
04-06-2020, 12:50 PM
I like the design, color, and pedigree, but 73.5 STA with a 59TT isn't quite right and I'd prefer a steel fork.

Good call, Clean. You're learning. You're definitely a <73* STA kinda guy imo. ;)

pbarry
04-06-2020, 02:04 PM
I’d just buy it cause there ain’t no more & you can get a steel fork made, or buy one with 41mm rake. Get a Nitto way set back post if you can’t get enuf setback. ;)

colker
04-06-2020, 03:33 PM
I’d just buy it cause there ain’t no more & you can get a steel fork made, or buy one with 41mm rake. Get a Nitto way set back post if you can’t get enuf setback. ;)

At that price? 500 bucks for a Mondonico EL OS?? Ooof.

skiezo
04-06-2020, 04:09 PM
Mondonico retired after doing a Farewell measuring tour in 2005. For a few years after, he had a trusted friend build frames using his specific geometry, but did not insist on pinning the lugs of the frame.

Clean39T
04-06-2020, 04:32 PM
At that price? 500 bucks for a Mondonico EL OS?? Ooof.Yeah, but if it doesn't fits, I cannot sits.

New math for me.

Learned at the school of hard re-sells.

T-Crush
04-07-2020, 12:00 PM
Yeah, but if it doesn't fits, I cannot sits.

New math for me.

Learned at the school of hard re-sells.

This is the tragic news. So many of us benefited from Clean-san's prior activities...

thwart
04-07-2020, 12:11 PM
At that price? 500 bucks for a Mondonico EL OS?? Ooof.
That bike, in that condition for $500 is a steal.

... of course if it fits.

Or close. ;)

Clean39T
04-07-2020, 12:14 PM
This is the tragic news. So many of us benefited from Clean-san's prior activities...

Many other vectors are still alive and well.......deciding to go back to Campy, playing with tubulars, frame materials, styles, "I hate gravel....I must gravel!"............the spigot may have slowed to a trickle but I imagine some QE is right around the corner..

brewsmith
04-08-2020, 03:08 PM
Welp, I did it. Been looking for a monostay for years and after chatting with the seller, we got the deal done. I'll post some pics in the production bike forum once I get her built-up next week :banana:

colker
04-08-2020, 03:24 PM
Welp, I did it. Been looking for a monostay for years and after chatting with the seller, we got the deal done. I'll post some pics in the production bike forum once I get her built-up next week :banana:

Well done.

Gsinill
04-08-2020, 04:05 PM

Congrats!