PDA

View Full Version : Best option for shipping Bike from USA to Canada

VanBikeGuy
04-05-2020, 12:02 PM
Hey Guy's,

I'm looking at shipping a full road bike from the East coast of the USA to Vancouver, BC.

The usual problem with UPS and Fedex is that they charge a hefty price to import the item and usually get it wrong (ie: when I import myself, I pay a 5% tax for bikes, but UPS and Fedex often use some other tariff code).

USPS uses Canada post once it crosses the border, but in checking USPS's website the maximum girth is 108" and I don't think the seller can get the full bike in that size. I'm considering asking the seller to split the wheels and the bike / frame into separate boxes.

Any suggestions from Canadians or anyone else that have shipped a bike to Canada?

Thanks in advance.

peanutgallery
04-05-2020, 05:30 PM
Why put a whole chain of people at risk for a bike treasure to be shipped to Canada? And then try to find a way to weasel out of the cost? Kinda needless at the moment, give it a few months and then it just costs what it costs. I mean this in the nicest of ways

ultraman6970
04-05-2020, 05:33 PM
1st, there's a size limitation to canada??? If you have a size limitation what you can do is to ship the frame in one box and the rest in another box. Obviously both boxes are small enough so USPS can take them. Probably a lot cheaper than going UPS/fedex.

pdonk
04-05-2020, 07:39 PM
Depending on where the person lives see if they have a service like crossborderpickups near them.

m_sasso
04-05-2020, 07:47 PM
Wish I could offer some help Billy, I have a truck load of bicycle parts sitting in Blaine, Washington. Up until tomorrow I have just been frustrated and living with the border situation. Tomorrow I am going to start pursuing some means to pick them up, but how I don't know currently. If you come up with a means please let me know, thanks!

VanBikeGuy
04-05-2020, 10:10 PM
Wish I could offer some help Billy, I have a truck load of bicycle parts sitting in Blaine, Washington. Up until tomorrow I have just been frustrated and living with the border situation. Tomorrow I am going to start pursuing some means to pick them up, but how I don't know currently. If you come up with a means please let me know, thanks!

Ok, will do. I was just going to ship to point Roberts, but I don’t know if there is damage the insurance will cover it in 1 to 3 months when the border re-opens. I Will probably just do as suggested and split up the parts and ship usps / Canada post.

I think a lot of border mailing address are offering freight forwarding but I suspect it’s expensive. Let me know how you make out.

ultraman6970
04-05-2020, 11:58 PM
I have no idea about canada but to europe usps is running as normal. Canadians cant stop mail 100% is different to stop a freight truck than usps truck mail because mail is indispensable, so i will assume than canada post is working normally aswell?

This reminds me, there is chances that usps closes in june if the things go south for longer time.