PDA

View Full Version : Would you ride this tire?

Tickdoc
04-05-2020, 10:47 AM
I’ve been going all winter with this cut, watching it grow a little as the soft pave’s tread goes away.

Would you ride on this?

https://i.imgur.com/eFlVXEzl.jpg

AngryScientist
04-05-2020, 10:51 AM
yes i would, that's nothing. if i threw out tires with nicks like that every time, i'd be changing tires every month. maybe throw some super glue or shoe goo in it, but that's not a problem IMO.

the problem is when you get through the inner casing and the tube can bulge through.

junkfood
04-05-2020, 10:58 AM
All my tires look like that pretty quick with all the debris and potholes we have on our roads Tickdoc.

Jake

93KgBike
04-05-2020, 11:01 AM
Not on the side-wall, not a problem, probably.

When I notice that a tire is cut I just prepare myself to ride the blowout. Although, this has never happened. My tires seem to pass away in-between rides.

cinema
04-05-2020, 11:07 AM
sure. if you want put a little patch inside or a tiny piece of gorilla tape. the park sticky tube patches work great for these as they are flexible and can't feel em at all.

Pierre
04-05-2020, 11:13 AM
Without question I would ride that tire for many many miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tickdoc
04-05-2020, 11:20 AM
Ok just checking. It’s been cut like that all winter but I see some threads on the inside and that always gives me pause. It’s almost time for these tires to go away for summer anyways. Got a set of veloflex sps 28’s to try.

m_sasso
04-05-2020, 11:44 AM
Pick up some Loctite 380 flexible black adhesive, it is perfect for filling in damage like this and holds any loose threads together.

Black Dog
04-05-2020, 12:09 PM
Shoe goo, free sole, or seam sealer for the cut. If you can see threads I would put a self adhesive patch on the inside of the tire where the cut is. This is a belt and suspenders approach but then you can ride with out any worry.

rwsaunders
04-05-2020, 12:13 PM
Let some air out, pick out any debris that might be in the cut and patch with ShoeGoo...perhaps like someone else suggested, run a small piece of Gorilla tape inside too. Those Paves can take a beating and ride well in the wet, but they do tend to slice.

Blue Jays
04-05-2020, 12:20 PM
Yup, concur it is totally safe based on the pic. Ride it without worry.
Shove a little shoe goop on outside with tiny patch inside for peace of mind.
I am curious to checkout that Loctite 380 product, that's new to me. Thanks!

jtbadge
04-05-2020, 12:23 PM
Dab of super glue will do ya

saab2000
04-05-2020, 12:37 PM
Yes. As mentioned, a patch or small boot on the inside. If the casing isn't cut you should be good to go. It's all about the casing.

Cbh
04-05-2020, 12:50 PM
I've use the park tire boot. It's a peel and stick one that has lasted for me with a similar situation on my Bon Jon pass tire.

Tickdoc
04-05-2020, 12:58 PM
Thank you all!

robt57
04-05-2020, 01:41 PM
Yeah, boot it so if a little shard decides to reside in the spot you don't ride it thru causing a flat etc.

It it is a Vit Pave, running them lower pressure seems to slow down these type of splits. I am on my last pair actually, and would not buy them anymore if they still made them. Way too delicate and expensive for how quick I wear thru them, or loose them to lacerations...

I miss the 27s ride with latex tube for sure. But they are alos not very light, so too many minus. Usually not so light tires are more durable. I have Hutchinson Fusion 5 Perf that are a lot lighter and last twice as long or more. Wish I got more of them for 20.00 when I had the chance.

Best Pave price I got was 43.00, worst 53.00. Good bye pretty green stripes. ;)

jtbadge
04-05-2020, 01:45 PM
Yeah, boot it so if a little shard decides to reside in the spot you don't ride it thru causing a flat etc.

It it is a Vit Pave, running them lower pressure seems to slow down these type of splits. I am on my last pair actually, and would not buy them anymore if they still made them. Way too delicate and expensive for how quick I wear thru them, or loose them to lacerations...

I miss the 27s ride with latex tube for sure. But they are alos not very light, so too many minus. Usually not so light tires are more durable. I have Hutchinson Fusion 5 Perf that are a lot lighter and last twice as long or more. Wish I got more of them for 20.00 when I had the chance.

I've replaced most of my Open Pave riding with 26c or 28c GravelKings, similar tread pattern with way more durability, and only giving up a little bit on the supple side.

Buzz
04-05-2020, 02:27 PM
Pfft. I wouldn’t worry about that until it gets to this stage(my tire post L’Eroica):

Tickdoc
04-05-2020, 04:34 PM

Not sure if I’ll get any more but I miss them already.

soulspinner
04-05-2020, 04:40 PM
Pick up some Loctite 380 flexible black adhesive, it is perfect for filling in damage like this and holds any loose threads together.

Done this forever

R3awak3n
04-05-2020, 05:02 PM
I put shoe goo in those and ride em. I put shoe goo on all the cuts if they are big enough. It has been game changer in how long tires last.

rustychisel
04-05-2020, 06:30 PM
I agree, ride it, but for a counter argument...

Ride to the top of the fastest most dangerous descent in your area, then ride down it like you mean it. If the possibility of tyre failure is still in your mind half way down then you have your answer.

Tickdoc
04-05-2020, 06:43 PM
I agree, ride it, but for a counter argument...

Ride to the top of the fastest most dangerous descent in your area, then ride down it like you mean it. If the possibility of tyre failure is still in your mind half way down then you have your answer.

Not the steepest but a nice grade right out of my neighborhood let’s me hit 40within a half mile of my doorstep....and it did just fine;)

pdmtong
04-05-2020, 07:29 PM
I’ve been going all winter with this cut, watching it grow a little as the soft pave’s tread goes away. Would you ride on this?

That is a typical Vittoria cut. Ride it ... UNLESS it is cut through the casing.

robt57
04-05-2020, 07:32 PM
I put shoe goo in those and ride em. I put shoe goo on all the cuts if they are big enough. It has been game changer in how long tires last.

I was going to say that too, but never actually having used it I didn't. ;)

It stays in?

First I am hearing about "Loctite 380 flexible black adhesive"

wallymann
04-05-2020, 07:35 PM
yes. i like the suggestion of using loctite 380 as the filler instead of shoe-goo...ordering some!

dont forget to boot the cut with a couple layers of tyvek or kapton tape.

robt57
04-05-2020, 08:47 PM
yes. i like the suggestion of using loctite 380 as the filler instead of shoe-goo...ordering some!

dont forget to boot the cut with a couple layers of tyvek or kapton tape.

Don't forget to ask the seller of the 380 for the expiration date.

m_sasso
04-05-2020, 09:03 PM
Honestly I have never needed to use an interior boot with Loctite 380, however every repair has it limits. I've filled in lots of tire cuts, some positively down to and partially cut exterior casing. Most exterior casing damage is difficult to categorically determine, not really visible under the exterior tread compound, certainly if interior casing damage is visible, use a boot or pull and responsibly recycle the tire. Nothing is going to premaritally fix a bulging aired tire beside a replacement. Interior booted tires are temporary solutions to be used in unexpected, difficult situation, they are not permeant fixes.

When bonding a cut/damaged tire with Loctite 380, I first remove any visible debris, clean the cut surfaces with a cotton swab and isopropyl alcohol. Apply the 380, it is aqueous enough to flow in and around any visible casing threads perpetually bonding them in place along with filling in the missing damaged exterior tread when coagulated. Occasionally requires a second application/layering to fully level the tread. Any excess 380 on the viable tread surface is easily wiped away with a rag before enough time has elapsed and the Loctite has congealed.

Ride it, if there is any change in tire surface appearance, bulging, re-opening of the cut or a perceived bump while rolling, the tire is pulled and responsibly recycled. The black, flexible, rubberized, imperceivable Loctite 380 exterior patch/fill in will ware like normal tread and remain intact for the life of the tire.

Store the Loctite 380 in the fridge between uses, it will last a long time.

wallymann
04-23-2020, 01:45 PM
before springing for that loctite, i figured i'd try this aqueous urethane seam-sealer.

the stuff is pretty thin, so it takes several applications to properly fill a cut, but i had it on-hand and it does seem to do a reasonable job of adhering and filling.

as others have suggested its important to deflate the tire, clean out the cut, and pinch the carcass to open the cut to receive the filler as deep as possible.

picture shows after a handful of applications and overnight curing. we'll see how it holds up on the road!