PDA

View Full Version : Tubular tape on glue residue

DCilliams
04-05-2020, 08:30 AM
Hey guys quick dumb question here:

I have set of tubular wheels with some glue residue on them. When applying new glue I understand that it's fine to leave old residue alone.

However, what if you're applying tubular tape, like Carogna?

Thanks!

speedevil
04-05-2020, 10:42 AM
I used the Effetto Mariposa glue remover and it worked very well.

After a few minutes work, you could not tell that a tubular had ever been glued on.

It ain't cheap, but neither is the Caronga tape so it seemed worthwhile to start fresh.

Nomadmax
04-05-2020, 10:54 AM
Cordless drill and a fine wire brush.

kppolich
04-05-2020, 11:13 AM
Carogna tape says to specially not sand down surface and I would take that as no sandpaper or wire wheels. For the tape, you want the surface as flat and as smooth as possible for maximum surface area with the tape.

If you were going to use a mechanical means of removal, check out the 3M rubber wheels.

Here is what I did with an hour of time and some elbow grease. Acetone was used on alloy wheels applied with a Green scotchbrite. Final pass with GooGone.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=168489&highlight=Tubular+Tape&page=4

Blown Reek
04-05-2020, 11:54 AM
All you have to do is spray some Goo Gone gel on the rim, wrap some saran wrap around it to hold it in place, and easily scrape it off 30 minutes later. Maybe do it twice. Good as new.

Rayomatic
04-05-2020, 11:59 AM
I've found Circa 1850 Super DeGooper works much better than GooGone for removing glue off both alloy and carbon rims.

zennmotion
04-05-2020, 12:16 PM
Nearly all my more recent tub experience is with racing CX, wide tires low pressure that are more likely to roll off the rim than road tires but I also glued quite a few high pressure skinny tires for indoor track racing BITD. I used tape and glue (Vittoria) together with a method well described by Zanconato (you can google it). In my opinion, just say no to tape alone, even for a road application. Glue by itself is good, get a can of Vittoria Mastik one and some acid brushes from the hardware store (or an old toothbrush) and have at it, better to leave the old glue on unless it's dirty or crumbling. Tub users are notoriously opinionated and superstitious about the Dark Art (that didn't used to be so dark), myself included and for me tape by itself would make me nervous :eek: If you're combining both glue and tape I would just put down a thin layer of fresh glue over the old and apply the tape on top. Unless it's really thick crumbly old crap, then you gotta remove it. A couple of times I experimented with tying a cotton rope (clothesline) around the rim soaked in solvent (goo gone or similar) wrapped in thick trash bag overnight. It saved some time and effort.