PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions for non-gym hamstring/leg exercises?

54ny77
04-04-2020, 04:18 PM
With the gyms closed, I'm interested in keeping my hamstrings in decent shape (and legs as well). Anyone have suggestions for cycling-specific or even just general leg fitness?

(And yes I could search online but thought I'd start here....:hello:)

dsimon
04-04-2020, 04:22 PM
dead lifts or squats with water jugs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVn6iPElVBo

Richard
04-04-2020, 04:28 PM
Lie down on your stomach. Put a dumbbell (or any thing with weight that you can grip) between your feet. Do hamstring curls. May be more comfortable on a bed with your legs dangling.

steveoz
04-04-2020, 04:45 PM
Ditto on deadlifts - incorporated them into a full-body, compound movement workout and really notice a difference in stamina and posture on the bike (just make sure to use proper form!!)

John H.
04-04-2020, 05:11 PM
Single leg deadlifts with a dumbbell or kettlebell.

Peter P.
04-04-2020, 07:01 PM
I use the "Exercise Libraries" link at this site (https://exrx.net/) for a reference.

I agree with all the other responses for doing deadlifts. Just don't go heavy and use good form.

Also, I saw an ad on "Wanted" ad on craigslist-with gyms closed due to the pandemic, a couple people were seeking to pay others to use their home/garage gyms. I appreciate their motivation and feel bad for their loss of facilities.

skitlets
04-04-2020, 07:42 PM
Some exercises I learned from competing in weightlifting that you can incorporate at home: RDLs and single leg RDLs (more hamstring targeted than regular deadlifts), partner hamstring curl, glute bridges and single leg glute bridges (can add weight).

54ny77
04-05-2020, 03:29 PM
thanks all and esp. thanks for this.

hamstring leg work keeps my knees happy.

Some exercises I learned from competing in weightlifting that you can incorporate at home: RDLs and single leg RDLs (more hamstring targeted than regular deadlifts), partner hamstring curl, glute bridges and single leg glute bridges (can add weight).

skitlets
04-05-2020, 04:06 PM
thanks all and esp. thanks for this.

hamstring leg work keeps my knees happy.

Same here and happy to help. As a quad dominant squatter and cyclist, I have to do hamstring work year round.