PDA

View Full Version : Ride Quality?..Ti vs Al..w/carbon rear end

SoCalSteve
05-13-2004, 12:40 PM
Hi all,

If the front end of a bike uses a carbon fiber fork and the rear end of a bike uses a carbon fiber rear triangle (given all other things being equal, ie; tires, wheels, bar, stem) wouldnt the ride quality (smoothness) of a Ti vs Al frame be very similar?

I'm not talking about power transfer, effeciency, longevity or any other factors. Just ride quality. And, when I say ride quality, what I mean is how well the bike can handle rough roads and how those vibrations are transmitted to the rider.

Please point out where I am wrong in this, if I am.

As always, Thank you all in advance,

Steve

SoCalSteve
05-13-2004, 05:38 PM
No one has an opinion on this subject? Or am I completely missing the boat with this???

Please, help me to open my eyes!

Thanks,

Steve

EdK
05-13-2004, 05:50 PM
Steve

I had an aluminum (Russ Denny) with a Reynolds carbon rear stay and Ouzo pro fork and a Legend Ti ST (The same Reynolds rear stay) with the pivot points also with Ouzo Pro. The Legend was not the stiffest tubeset available but the frame was plenty stiff enough. There is just something about the way ti dampens the road buzz that aluminum dosen't maybe the ST? Both bikes were nearly identical effective geometry but the Denny was a compact so maybe that had an impact as well? The Denny was much more harsh. Lighter, maybe a bit more stiff in the BB but much more harsh. Same fork, same stay, same wheels, = ti mo betta than lunimum. IMHO

jerk
05-13-2004, 07:54 PM
depends who's carbon, who's ti and who's aluminum. it aint about materials it's about what the builder is trying to get out of the materials. (however, in general the jerk will stick to his story that it is next to impossible to get a ti bike with adequate torsional rigidity which isn't heavy as all hell.)

jerk