PDA

View Full Version : 2-cycle fuel

Chief
04-02-2020, 09:49 PM
OT: !!May I use regular engine oil rather than 2-cycle oil to mix with gasoline for my leaf blower?

notoriousdjw
04-02-2020, 10:22 PM
As a former 2-T 125cc GP bike racer I would not. I'm sure people with more knowledge will chime in but if it doesn't work, you may have to service/replace the crank of the leaf blower. 4T oil creates more carbon/ash when burned and doesn't mix with gasoline as well as 2T oil which may harm lubrication of the crank main bearings.

I will admit that in an emergency I once ran Lawnboy 2T oil in a Honda RS125 rather than the fancy Castrol A747 or Motul Synthetic 2T oil and nothing bad happened but it seems like a bad idea to run 4T oil in a 2 stroke motor.

peanutgallery
04-02-2020, 10:29 PM
Don't do it, get the correct pre-mix. If you're gonna make a bunch of racket...do it right. Unless you like to wreck equipment for the sake of breaking stuff

Frankwurst
04-02-2020, 10:39 PM
Why? I wouldn't recommend it. 2 cycle oil is specially formulated to do what it does. Because it burns with the fuel, 2-cycle oil is lighter and contains additives for better combustion. You can use regular 10W40 in a pinch but I wouldn't recommend it. A quart of 2 cycle oil goes a long way. I just keep a quart on hand and mix up a 2 1/2 gallon can of gas when I need it for the weed eater,chain saws and leaf blower.:beer:

Peter B
04-02-2020, 10:56 PM
Living on 10 rural acres I have numerous two-cycle tools. After repeated bouts with fouled fuel systems I'm a convert to the pre-mixed blends. Not sure about where you live but out west with the ethanol fuels mixed gas won't last long in the can and routinely gum up the saw works. Motor oil mixes won't help.

The pre-mixed blends are spendy but worth it to me for chainsaws, pole saws, blowers, etc. You'll easily get 5 years sealed and two years opened without gumming issues. You can basically fill and forget. Unless you will empty the tank with every use it is money well spent IMO.

WRT your original post, would you run 2-cycle oil in the crankcase of your auto?

choke
04-02-2020, 11:42 PM
Yes, you can. I would only do it in an emergency situation though, it's hard to say how it would effect the engine with long term use. Make sure to mix it at the normal ratio. I would use straight 30W if I had the option.