PDA

View Full Version : BMC La Cabra

mtb_frk
04-02-2020, 02:21 PM
Anyone else see it posted? Looks pretty cool for a monster crosser.

From Blac Mountain Cycles FB page.

Is it tomorrow? I figure something new and positive is in order to take your mind off the current chronic Covid cloud. So, here is La Cabra.
I’ve been working on this since 2018. More and more people seemed to want to fit bigger tires in their MCD, but I didn’t want to just redo the MCD for bigger tires. I wanted something different. Since I’ve been riding mountain bikes with drop bars for over 30 years and people have been asking for a mountain bike…
La Cabra is a drop bar mountain bike. It’s a wholly new frame compared to any other Black Mountain Cycles frames. Lots of braze-ons, internal routing for a dropper post, 1x or 2x compatible, up to 27.5” x 2.8” or 29” x 2.4”… That’s all the details I think are necessary right now.
All questions will be answered in due time. It’s still 6-8 months out, but I know people have been waiting for this and I think everyone needs something good to look forward to. And I think this is good. Real good. And real fun.
#blackmtncycles #lacabra #dropbarmountainbike #notsuspensioncorrected

doomridesout
12-24-2020, 12:24 AM
Bumping this thread rather than starting a new one.

I bought a mountain bike earlier this year but considering that I suck and am basically just a roadie on fire roads, I'm thinking about moving parts over to one of these and selling the MTB. My use case is to cover everything my lighter duty allroad bike can't do. Discuss.

https://blackmtncycles.com/tech-info/la-cabra-frame-tech/
https://blackmtncycles.com/frames/la-cabra-frames/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CGp_nakFUAb/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

charliedid
12-24-2020, 10:04 AM
Depends

Do you need an "Adventure" bike or just a dirt road bike? If the latter I'd buy something lighter and more roadie.

doomridesout
12-24-2020, 10:09 AM
Well I’ve got a dirt roadie pretty well covered with a Seven Evergreen. This would be for connecting single track and logging roads.

More generally, why no chatter about this bike? I thought this was the Black Mountain fan club!

charliedid
12-24-2020, 10:20 AM
Well I’ve got a dirt roadie pretty well covered with a Seven Evergreen. This would be for connecting single track and logging roads.

More generally, why no chatter about this bike? I thought this was the Black Mountain fan club!

Makes sense.

Dunno, maybe the fan club moved on to something else or realized they didn't need the capabilities of a bike like that.

They seem well designed by someone with years of experience designing bikes.

charliedid
12-24-2020, 10:33 AM
I just had a look to jog my memory but do you know when these are available?

They were expected end of year?

doomridesout
12-24-2020, 10:58 AM
I had an MCD last year and thought it was a great bike, I just wanted bigger tires to differentiate it from my Evergreen better.

2metalhips
12-25-2020, 07:42 AM
This type of drop bar mtb is nothing new, the Salsa Fargo has been around for over a decade, the Cutthroat for about 6 years. Moots Baxter and Bear Claw Beaux Jaxon are 2 more. I have a Cutthroat and it is a blast, I use it for a mix of gravel, monster gravel, double track, single track, power lines, fire roads. A gravel bike would be over matched and not all that much fun for most of that type of terrain. A flat bar mtb has fewer hand positions and doesn't feel as efficient on everything except single track.

Mike Varley at BMC is a really good designer and I'm sure the La Cabra will be worth the wait.

slowpoke
04-05-2021, 02:54 PM
...aaaand it's here and the 18" size is already sold out!

https://blackmtncycles.com/shop/frames/la-cabra-frameset/

CMiller
04-05-2021, 04:17 PM
Crazy cool, great for Bay Area riding somewhere between a fat tired gravel bike an XC 29er. Seems like a 1-1.5 degree sharper headtube angle compared to the Fargo.

Smitty2k1
04-05-2021, 09:48 PM
Wish he hasn't discontinued the Road and decided not to pursue the Road Disc. I like my Road+ and am in the market to N+1 with a "real" road bike some day.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

TheseGoTo11
04-05-2021, 09:52 PM
Great looking bike. Already have the use case covered or I’d buy one for sure.

jtakeda
04-05-2021, 10:00 PM
I bought a mountain bike earlier this year but considering that I suck and am basically just a roadie on fire roads,

I know the feeling BUT im not sure this is better than a mountain bike.

I think id rather be under biked on my Potts and walk a few sections than buy another bike for a certain use case. I think that on Humboldt Co roads that youre gonna be slowed down by the La Cabra rather than walking the Seven over some tough sections. Im just assuming our roads in Mendo are pretty similar I could be wrong

tctyres
04-05-2021, 11:07 PM
Wish he hasn't discontinued the Road and decided not to pursue the Road Disc. I like my Road+ and am in the market to N+1 with a "real" road bike some day.

Is that what he said? I haven't followed it that closely. I really like my road. I know before the pandemic he was planning to have the road disc. I think that the factory had trouble sourcing materials despite the fact that the incidence of covid in Taiwan was super low.

Smitty2k1
04-06-2021, 08:07 AM
Is that what he said? I haven't followed it that closely. I really like my road. I know before the pandemic he was planning to have the road disc. I think that the factory had trouble sourcing materials despite the fact that the incidence of covid in Taiwan was super low.He posted it on instagram. Here's the link:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMIPd76l7j3/?igshid=1kgkfrhymh1ko

tctyres
04-06-2021, 01:13 PM
He posted it on instagram. Here's the link:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMIPd76l7j3/?igshid=1kgkfrhymh1ko

Wow. Not so long ago. Thanks for the link.

doomridesout
04-06-2021, 02:27 PM
Mines on the way!

martinez
04-06-2021, 09:52 PM
Definitely considered it and keep going back and forth.
I just sold a specialized sequoia because I figure I’d try and go with something with slightly different geometry and a different material. Wanted something a bit quicker and don’t feel that this would work out for me. Would love this to be a
n-1 bike but don’t think it would be what I need it to be, so decided to go for a gravel (longer/easier dirt rides and casual road rides occasionally) + hardtail situation (for the rough stuff with more chunk and elevation) instead.

They look cool as hell though!