PDA

View Full Version : Anyone going to shooting ranges during the Pandemic?

RFC
04-02-2020, 12:11 PM
These air pistols are going to get a lot of use over the next couple of months. The public ranges in the metro area are closed indefinately. The private indoor range I normally go to is connected to a large and very busy gun store. I'm not going there for a while.

I put my backyard range in order over the weekend and that's where I'll be doing my shooting this Spring.

Crosman 1701P and 1720T. Both .177 pcps.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49727870211_cc9ac1c01d_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2iLhkjB)IMG_6510r (https://flic.kr/p/2iLhkjB) by Robert Copple (https://www.flickr.com/photos/161536771@N04/), on Flickr

biker72
04-02-2020, 12:22 PM
The one I go to is open but I think I'll stay home till the pandemic eases a little bit. No idea how busy they are but being in the high risk category I'm not risking it.

Got a brand new gun to shoot too...:(

azrider
04-02-2020, 12:27 PM
Was thinking of driving up North to Seven Springs and shooting with the boy later today.

Check your PM

Ozz
04-02-2020, 12:54 PM
These air pistols are going to get a lot of use over the next couple of months. .

Crosman 1701P and 1220T. Both .177 pcps.

Nice.....I pulled out my old Webley Tempest to chase a raccoon out of our backyard on Monday....does that count? The RWS rifle would have been overkill...

RFC
04-02-2020, 12:57 PM
Nice.....I pulled out my old Webley Tempest to chase a raccoon out of our backyard on Monday....does that count?

LOL! You bet!

Skenry
04-02-2020, 01:00 PM
My son has been going a bunch, he said not too busy. He just built and painted another AR though, so he is just working it in and mostly playing.

I haven't been in about 2 weeks, mostly because I don't want to waste any rounds at this point.

parris
04-02-2020, 01:06 PM
I've been meaning to go but the weather on the weekend is has been just poor enough to make me pass. The bummer about it is that I just picked up a Glock 43X and want to put some rounds downrange with it. I'm thinking that if it works well I'll start to carry that instead of my 27 or issue 23 due to it not being as wide.

RFC
04-02-2020, 01:13 PM
I've been meaning to go but the weather on the weekend is has been just poor enough to make me pass. The bummer about it is that I just picked up a Glock 43X and want to put some rounds downrange with it. I'm thinking that if it works well I'll start to carry that instead of my 27 or issue 23 due to it not being as wide.

Glock 43 is a very nice gun. My son carries one. I carry a Ruger LC9S. During my last pre pandemic trip to the range, I got to shoot a Sig P365, which is another good carry option.

bigbill
04-02-2020, 01:20 PM
Saw that Maricopa County closed Joe Foss for the duration. I'm saving my ammo for the zombie onslaught.

RFC
04-02-2020, 01:36 PM
Saw that Maricopa County closed Joe Foss for the duration. I'm saving my ammo for the zombie onslaught.

Same for Ben Avery.

I think I'll spend the day planting a row of sharpened wood pikes around the house.:eek:

HenryA
04-02-2020, 01:40 PM
Open here, with special rules for distancing and limit of 10 people at a time on rifle range, 3 people max in pistol bays.

Tickdoc
04-02-2020, 01:41 PM
private land shooting here.

parris
04-02-2020, 01:44 PM
Several of our guys went with the 43. I found the grip to be a bit too small for what I prefer. I get around that by using a magazine extension on my 27. The 43X has a grip that's roughly the same length as the 19/23 but the whole package with being narrow will be easier to carry and conceal.

Of all the different Glock models that I've shot over the years I to this point have found the Gen4 23 to fit my hand better than the others. I get a similar albeit smaller vibe with the 43X. Time will tell.

biker72
04-02-2020, 01:49 PM
Glock 43 is a very nice gun. My son carries one. I carry a Ruger LC9S. During my last pre pandemic trip to the range, I got to shoot a Sig P365, which is another good carry option.

Nice pistol. I have one too...:)

AngryScientist
04-02-2020, 02:24 PM
hadn't thought about it until i saw this thread, but one thing that i'd really love to go do, which aint happening any time soon, is go shoot some clay birds.

sigh.

Bruce K
04-02-2020, 02:26 PM
Ranges in MA were closed when this started

Governor included them in essential business list the other day and then removed them again about 2 hours later.

Today the AG declared that shoos, owners, clubs, and ranges were “a threat to public safety”.

Not good here at all.

BK

bthornt
04-02-2020, 02:29 PM
Haven't gone in the past few weeks, but I just bought a Sig P229 so I need to break it in. Not to go tangential, but it looks like they're moving away from the alloy frame, hammer style of pistol to the polymer frame, striker fired pistol. So I figured I would get one of these, and possibly a P220, before they stop making them.

jpritchet74
04-02-2020, 02:32 PM

Governor included them in essential business list the other day and then removed them again about 2 hours later.

Today the AG declared that shoos, owners, clubs, and ranges were “a threat to public safety”.

Not good here at all.

BK

This blows my mind....

RFC
04-02-2020, 02:36 PM
Our governor came up with a very long list of essential services that includes nail and hair salons and gun stores. The gun stores are doing huge business.

gdw
04-02-2020, 02:39 PM

Not good here at all.

BK

They should close the highways too if they are really concerned about public safety. A Massachusetts driver is 100 more dangerous than a legal gun owner.

bthornt
04-02-2020, 02:39 PM
Our governor came up with a very long list of essential services that includes nail and hair salons and gun stores. The gun stores are doing huge business.

I previously posted in a different thread that many retailers are boarding up their shops in anticipation of rioting/looting. If this goes on for longer than expected, I think we will probably see such activity, although I certainly hope not. The fact that gun stores are doing such a large amount of business suggests that many other people might think so, too.

zmudshark
04-02-2020, 02:43 PM
Scottsdale law:

Sec. 19-7. - Discharge of weapons.

(a)

No person shall, within the city limits, fire or discharge any firearm, including but not limited to an air gun, BB gun, pellet gun, dart gun, gas operated gun or other similar gun or instrument. This section does not apply to the use of any such gun or instrument by:

(1)

A law enforcement officer or other duly authorized public official or employee in the performance of any official duty.

(2)

Licensed shooting galleries.

(3)

Any person to whom a license, permit or authority is issued by the chief of police for the use of such gun or instrument for a valid and proper purpose and for use in a manner not likely to harm any person, animal or property.

(4)

Any person when used only for the necessary protection of property, habitation, or person in a manner authorized by the laws of the state or under or within rights guaranteed by the Constitution of the state or of the United States.

(b)

Every person convicted of a violation of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and shall forfeit to the chief of police the gun or instrument so fired or discharged.

(c)

Every officer upon making any arrest and taking weapons used in violation of this section shall deliver the same to the city judge to be held by him until the final determination of the prosecution for the offense. Upon a finding of guilty, the judge shall deliver the weapon forthwith to the chief of police who shall make disposition of the weapon in the manner prescribed by chapter 23, article III.

rallizes
04-02-2020, 02:46 PM

Not good here at all.

BK

whenever i think of MA and guns shows i think about the 8 year old with the uzi

i mean how could i forget something like that

palincss
04-02-2020, 02:47 PM
These air pistols are going to get a lot of use over the next couple of months. The public ranges in the metro area are closed indefinately. The private indoor range I normally go to is connected to a large and very busy gun store. I'm not going there for a while.

Makes perfect sense, it's all of the fun with none of the hassle (i.e., excessive noise, high cost of ammunition, need to clean the pistol). You can even set a range up in your basement if local ordinances prohibit shooting in your back yard. There is absolutely nothing to not like about it.

RFC
04-02-2020, 02:48 PM
Scottsdale law:

(a)

No person shall, within the city limits, fire or discharge any firearm, including but not limited to an air gun, BB gun, pellet gun, dart gun, gas operated gun or other similar gun or instrument. This section does not apply to the use of any such gun or instrument by:

(1)

A law enforcement officer or other duly authorized public official or employee in the performance of any official duty.

(2)

(3)

Any person to whom a license, permit or authority is issued by the chief of police for the use of such gun or instrument for a valid and proper purpose and for use in a manner not likely to harm any person, animal or property.

(4)

Any person when used only for the necessary protection of property, habitation, or person in a manner authorized by the laws of the state or under or within rights guaranteed by the Constitution of the state or of the United States.

(b)

Every person convicted of a violation of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and shall forfeit to the chief of police the gun or instrument so fired or discharged.

(c)

Every officer upon making any arrest and taking weapons used in violation of this section shall deliver the same to the city judge to be held by him until the final determination of the prosecution for the offense. Upon a finding of guilty, the judge shall deliver the weapon forthwith to the chief of police who shall make disposition of the weapon in the manner prescribed by chapter 23, article III.

I am aware of this. Have been shooting air guns in my walled backyard for years. Neighbors know and are fine with it. Scottsdale LEO's I've talked to about this tell me that the only way they will get involved is if there is a complaint and then they come to your house and tell you not to do it anymore. No confiscation or citation. They have more important things to do.

Tickdoc
04-02-2020, 02:50 PM
Scottsdale law:

(a)

(1)

(2)

(3)

(4)

(b)

(c)

Wow. We're open carry with no license out here in the wild west so kind of the other end of the spectrum. I have no idea if the gun stores can be open here or not. Shelter and arm yourself in place is kinda the law of the land.

bthornt
04-02-2020, 02:52 PM
I thought Arizona had open carry. Is that not so?

RFC
04-02-2020, 02:53 PM
Wow. We're open carry with no license out here in the wild west so kind of the other end of the spectrum. I have no idea if the gun stores can be open here or not. Shelter and arm yourself in place is kinda the law of the land.

Actually, it is the same here. AZ is an open carry and constitutional concealed carry state. No CCW required, although I do have one.

redir
04-02-2020, 02:54 PM

Panic buying. How else will you protect your toilet paper?

RFC
04-02-2020, 02:56 PM
panic buying. How else will you protect your toilet paper?

lol!!!

Bruce K
04-02-2020, 03:11 PM
I believe the Uzi thing happened in NH not MA

BK

zmudshark
04-02-2020, 03:13 PM
I am aware of this. Have been shooting air guns in my walled backyard for years. Neighbors know and are fine with it. Scottsdale LEO's I've talked to about this tell me that the only way they will get involved is if there is a complaint and then they come to your house and tell you not to do it anymore. No confiscation or citation. They have more important things to do.
To hell with the law! It's for other people. smh

Blue Jays
04-02-2020, 03:13 PM
My friends have a small range in their backyard they built for their daughters.
Might ask them if I can try it out (alone) while they stay inside and we videochat.
All the crazy steps we must take for even the simplest little fun.

:banana:

joosttx
04-02-2020, 03:18 PM
No, ammo is too expensive and scarce these days. Saving it for when I need it.

sjbraun
04-02-2020, 03:20 PM
[QUOTE=azrider;2687867]Was thinking of driving up North to Seven Springs and shooting with the boy later today.

Is there a shooting range at Seven Springs or are you planning a wildcat shoot on public lands?

RFC
04-02-2020, 03:22 PM
To hell with the law! It's for other people. smh

Do you think they ought to arrest every 10-year-old with a BB gun or bow and arrow?

zmudshark
04-02-2020, 03:24 PM
Do you think they ought to arrest every 10-year-old with a BB gun or bow and arrow?

Ask Tamir Rice.

sjbraun
04-02-2020, 03:24 PM
Mods, can you lock this thread? It's way off topic.

zmudshark
04-02-2020, 03:26 PM
Great idea. Most every thread RFC starts is way OT.

72gmc
04-02-2020, 03:30 PM
The OP posted a safe and responsible scenario for use. No reason for this to become a shouting match one way or the other.

sjbraun
04-02-2020, 03:34 PM
72gmc, I agree with you about no need for this thread to devolve, but it's still not a topic relevant to a cycling forum. Just take the discussion to a more suitable venue.

tuxbailey
04-02-2020, 03:35 PM
No, ammo is too expensive and scarce these days. Saving it for when I need it.

Around here a 12 Gauge 00 buckshot costs about $2 nowadays. That is if you can find them in stock.

redir
04-02-2020, 03:36 PM
I've not gone shooting in a couple years but I still have my 1955 Enfield SMLE MK4. You have to try and miss targets with that thing becasue it's so incredibly accurate.

But you know maybe nows a good time to put the hobbies on hold. It can wait, can't it?

zmudshark
04-02-2020, 03:40 PM
The OP posted a safe and responsible scenario for use. No reason for this to become a shouting match one way or the other.

Really? Shooting an air pistol in your back yard in a residential area is safe and responsible?

gdw
04-02-2020, 03:43 PM
Really? Shooting an air pistol in your back yard in a residential area is safe and responsible?

Enough. If you want to argue with RFC take it to private messaging. If you find the thread offensive ignore it.

sjbraun
04-02-2020, 04:02 PM
Not offensive, just inappropriate for a cycling forum Take your gun discussion elsewhere, to a more suitable venue. I'm sure there are plenty of places where you can discuss guns, ammo, and shooting.

rallizes
04-02-2020, 04:03 PM
I believe the Uzi thing happened in NH not MA

BK

Westfield, MA

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/27399337/ns/us_news-life/t/boy-accidentally-kills-self-gun-show/

'An 8-year-old boy died after accidentally shooting himself in the head while firing an Uzi submachine gun under adult supervision at a gun fair.'

azrider
04-02-2020, 04:06 PM
Is there a shooting range at Seven Springs or are you planning a wildcat shoot on public lands?

It's Tonto National Forest.......which allows for shooting anywhere you deem safe as long as you're quarter mile away from any residence, campground, or developed area.

But by looks of your other posts you seem to just be trolling so.......

Bruce K
04-02-2020, 04:08 PM
Thanks for refreshing the memory. It was not anywhere close to a smart move.

And yes, air pistols are pretty safe. The local HS team shoots air rifles in the school cafeteria after the day is over. Rubber sheet (roofing) hung from pvc frames makes a great backstop.

BK

Ozz
04-02-2020, 04:18 PM
Not offensive, just inappropriate for a cycling forum Take your gun discussion elsewhere, to a more suitable venue. I'm sure there are plenty of places where you can discuss guns, ammo, and shooting.
Don't forget to include watches, cars, COVID-19, flying, cooking, home improvement, tools, bonsai trees, raising kids, choosing colleges, etc....ad nauseum.

Cycling is our common ground, but most of us are more than that.

:cool:

AngryScientist
04-02-2020, 04:22 PM
I think it's best to close this one here.

OT threads are tricky. There are some topics that people feel very strongly about one way or the other, and it's unfortunate, but these topics usually end poorly on discussion forums.

anyway, i think this quarantine is just going to put everyone out of their element and on edge.

let's try our very best to keep this forum a safe space we can discuss without tensions running high. there is enough of that in the world right now.