PDA

View Full Version : Headphone recommendation

kevinvc
04-02-2020, 11:24 AM
Like many others who are lucky enough to still have jobs, I am working from home, as is my wife. I have three teenagers who have either already started or will soon start tele-schooling. In other words, it's a noisy environment.

I need some headphones and would appreciate recommendations. Here are my preferences:

Over the ear; I find earbuds uncomfortable after an hour or so
Noise cancelling
Speaker for phone calls
Both wired and bluetooth capable
Under $150
Decent sound for music. Don't have to be audiophile quality, but shouldn't sound like total crap

I am currently using my son's Beats, which are ok, but he needs them back when school starts next week. I also have a couple of sets of ear-buds, but one set is blue-tooth only, which doesn't work with my laptop and the others are uncomfortable and have terrible sound.

William
04-02-2020, 11:25 AM
Recent thread that may help...

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=248387&highlight=Headphones

W.

Clean39T
04-02-2020, 11:38 AM
Like many others who are lucky enough to still have jobs, I am working from home, as is my wife. I have three teenagers who have either already started or will soon start tele-schooling. In other words, it's a noisy environment.

I need some headphones and would appreciate recommendations. Here are my preferences:

Over the ear; I find earbuds uncomfortable after an hour or so
Noise cancelling
Speaker for phone calls
Both wired and bluetooth capable
Under $150
Decent sound for music. Don't have to be audiophile quality, but shouldn't sound like total crap

I am currently using my son's Beats, which are ok, but he needs them back when school starts next week. I also have a couple of sets of ear-buds, but one set is blue-tooth only, which doesn't work with my laptop and the others are uncomfortable and have terrible sound.

My Amazon Echo buds do a great job of blocking out sound and work very well overall. I use a plantronics for conference calls though, which is a single-ear setup. I just got a pair of Bose noise cancelling over-ear that are excellent too, but they are in the $300+ range.

parris
04-02-2020, 11:46 AM
If you want noise cancelling headphones I think the Bose units may be your best choice. Sony also has a well reviewed noise cancelling headphone. I'm not sure if the Sony can do phone calls or not but believe the Bose will.

C40_guy
04-02-2020, 12:07 PM
Second the Bose recommendation. I picked up a set of the QC35 in December...they're wonderful.

And you can pick up a refurbished set directly from Bose (https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/headphones_outlet.html) for reasonable $$...

NHAero
04-02-2020, 12:39 PM
Recently got Plantronics Savi 8220. It's wireless, both sides have speakers, and it connects to computer, phone, and cell phone. Sound is very good, microphone seems very good, nice to have it wireless so you can walk away from a webinar to let the dog in or out :-) Because the ear speakers don't enclose the ears, I don't find the Active Noise Cancelling very effective. They are very comfortable, and the flip side of that is that they don't "clamp" strongly to my head, so looking down at the floor they can slip off. I'm going to have to eventually figure out a system to hold them tighter to my head.

$250 at B&H Photo.

572cv
04-02-2020, 12:39 PM
I have a set of the Sony WHXM1000M2, one generation back from the current. These have been very reliable and comfortable, maybe not as spiffy as the Bose but more than adequate. Sony seems to have a range of these at various price points. They’re over the ear. I’d recommend them for your stated purposes.

NHAero
04-02-2020, 12:41 PM
Do those allow connection to computer and phone?

I have a set of the Sony WHXM1000M2, one generation back from the current. These have been very reliable and comfortable, maybe not as spiffy as the Bose but more than adequate. Sony seems to have a range of these at various price points. They’re over the ear. I’d recommend them for your stated purposes.

zzy
04-02-2020, 01:15 PM
Sony will announce the new WH1000MX4 soon, so the 3 should come way down in price. I couldn't live without mine.

zzy
04-02-2020, 01:17 PM
Do those allow connection to computer and phone?

they support Bluetooth (in both quality and reliability modes) and take a 3.5mm input. Works with anything. I like them far more than the Bose equivalent. The voice passthru NC feature really works and is great for offices.

trener1
04-02-2020, 01:33 PM
I know you specifically asked for NON earbuds, but....
Have a look at these, I have absolutely love them, very good sound and amazingly comfortable and amazingly cheap.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/bose-soundsport-wired-in-ear-headphones-ios-energy-green/4387700.p?skuId=4387700

bicycletricycle
04-02-2020, 01:38 PM
I tried these recently and they are amazing. The noise cancelling is really good. The microphone system built in is also really good at filtering out background noise. You can have a conversation in a cafe and the person on the other side probably wouldn't notice.

They are expensive though, can't speak to their long term durability.

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/headphones/noise_cancelling_headphones/noise-cancelling-headphones-700.html#v=noise_cancelling_headphones_700_black

572cv
04-02-2020, 01:55 PM
they support Bluetooth (in both quality and reliability modes) and take a 3.5mm input. Works with anything. I like them far more than the Bose equivalent. The voice passthru NC feature really works and is great for offices.

Yes, Marc, this. And the batteries have been durable, long lasting, at least for the last year and a half.

veloduffer
04-02-2020, 01:58 PM
I tried these recently and they are amazing. The noise cancelling is really good. The microphone system built in is also really good at filtering out background noise. You can have a conversation in a cafe and the person on the other side probably wouldn't notice.

They are expensive though, can't speak to their long term durability.

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/headphones/noise_cancelling_headphones/noise-cancelling-headphones-700.html#v=noise_cancelling_headphones_700_black

+1 on Bose. I’ve had my Bose headphones for several years and I’ve only had to change the pads around the ears.

The big advantage about Bose for me is comfort. I’ve had many a headphone from top manufacturers but after an hour that would hurt my head, which is large but not a watermelon. It’s the only brand that hasn’t bothered me. I use the noise canceling ones on many trips, even flights from NY to Tokyo direct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ultraman6970
04-02-2020, 02:08 PM
If you are into conference calls you have to go to plantronics.

zennmotion
04-02-2020, 02:13 PM
You don't need to spend that much for --decent-- and comfortable bluetooth headphones. I practically live in my Sony WH-CH510 for several hours of daily international Skype/Zoom and low music for computer-based work. 60 bucks. All you need. They do a good job with noise cancellation, excellent mic and voice clarity (this is important for me, lots of my calls include others with sketchy connectivity and echo-chamber concrete and tile rooms). Light and comfortable, I could not wear earbuds all day. These aren't audiophile, but they sound pretty good for my classical music/jazz work listening habits. I have others for deep listening and bluetooth is a constraint to hi-fidelity anyway. Best thing is great battery life, a charge will last through an entire day of constant use. Plus they fold to a smallish profile for carrying in my computer bag when I travel, they're a good choice for flights (remember those???)

Edit: these are blue tooth only. Sorry! How old is that laptop without B/T? As work at home becomes the new norm it might be time to upgrade your primary work tool- you can still deduct the cost from your taxes as a necessary business expense - so real cost may be a 30% reduction or so. For working at home, bluetooth headset is a necessity otherwise I'm chained to the laptop when I don't know calls come in. Plus, I pace when I'm in tense (or non-tense, or nonsense) meetings.

eippo1
04-02-2020, 03:10 PM
Others have mentioned Sony and Bose which are both good choices. Bose is definitely the gold standard for noise cancelling.

However, as an alternative, you may want to check out Sennheiser. I have the first generation PXC550 specifically since I like their touch commands on the side of the headseat and the slightly brighter, punchier sound than Bose. I think the new PXC generation are even better. One thing to note is that even though they stretch pretty well, people with big melons have reviewed them as being a bit tight. I have a medium Bell/ Kask head and they fit me perfectly.

kevinvc
04-02-2020, 05:35 PM
I know you specifically asked for NON earbuds, but....
Have a look at these, I have absolutely love them, very good sound and amazingly comfortable and amazingly cheap.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/bose-soundsport-wired-in-ear-headphones-ios-energy-green/4387700.p?skuId=4387700

I have an older set of these. They're pretty good, but the battery doesn't hold a charge very well anymore and they get uncomfortable if I wear them too much every day.

I just ordered a refurbished set of Bose Comfort35 mentioned on the first page. They were a little more than I wanted to spend, but they get great reviews, including from people here on the forum. They should arrive by the middle of next week.

C40_guy
04-02-2020, 05:39 PM
I just ordered a refurbished set of Bose Comfort35 mentioned on the first page. They were a little more than I wanted to spend, but they get great reviews, including from people here on the forum. They should arrive by the middle of next week.

You'll love them. I have a set of QC2s that are 15 years old and still going strong. Two years ago I replaced the cups on them with replacement parts from Bose. Easy to do and reasonably priced.

Then, as I mentioned, I upgraded to the QC35. Great headphones, and wireless is a game changer, as I found out with my wireless running headphones.

The refurbished pricing is excellent, and you get a full warranty...

TDot
04-02-2020, 05:46 PM
Love my Beats wireless. Great sound, can do calls, etc, but they aren't cheap.

efixler
04-02-2020, 09:18 PM
I have the Sony WH-900, a little older and a tiny bit less expensive than the ones mentioned here (but still $250)

I use them for music, calls and videoconferencing. They are great for all 3. Highly recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gavingould
04-03-2020, 11:48 AM
Bose QC35. work very will with work laptop, my phone, my personal laptop, etc
being in IT, an open-ish office, and now from home, i can keep the outside noise down when i need to make a call - and when i'm not on a call, i can keep my music in so as not to annoy the wife.

Blue Jays
04-03-2020, 11:58 AM
Bose 700 have worked well for office videoconferencing from home.
They seem pretty darn comfortable to me, yet of course YMMV.
Edit to add: They are above the pricing target that OP had listed.

cuda
04-03-2020, 12:44 PM
I bought a bluetooth version of sennheiser momentum last rear and have been very impressed.
there is a corded version that is closer to your price range

https://www.newegg.com/sennheiser-momentum-ivory-on-ear/p/N82E16826106648

djg21
04-03-2020, 12:56 PM
I’m not much into in-ear phones earbuds either, but if you are using an iPhone and/or iPad, the new AirPod Pros are very good. The silicone seals make them much more comfortable, to the extent that I forget I’m wearing them, and they don’t fall out of my ears like the old AirPods did. They have active noise cancellation and a transparency mode that you can toggle between if you need to hear ambient sound. I typically keep both off unless necessary. Comply is about to release memory foam ear tips for them that will seal even better than the latex.