PDA

View Full Version : TIME frames, bikes

merckxman
04-02-2020, 10:11 AM
The following excerpt from a bike-eu.com article:
"“the frames and bikes sales under the Time brand have dropped by almost half in the past year. We are still facing too high costs. Our limited production capacities do not allow us to offer competitive prices against high end bikes competitors which design their products in countries with low manufacturing costs....... The French group does not exclude downsizing, closing or selling the Gajary facility and stopping the production of carbon frames....... The company should release more details about its strategy soon, but the decision could be delayed due to the Covid-19. "

Clean39T
04-02-2020, 10:27 AM

"“the frames and bikes sales under the Time brand have dropped by almost half in the past year. We are still facing too high costs. Our limited production capacities do not allow us to offer competitive prices against high end bikes competitors which design their products in countries with low manufacturing costs....... The French group does not exclude downsizing, closing or selling the Gajary facility and stopping the production of carbon frames....... The company should release more details about its strategy soon, but the decision could be delayed due to the Covid-19. "That's incredibly sad. I hope they can hold on long enough to see what's on the other side of this covid situation.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

jpritchet74
04-02-2020, 10:36 AM
That's really sad indeed.

But I do have to say that I haven't even considered a Time or a Look frame in over 15 years.....

zzy
04-02-2020, 11:04 AM
This is what happens when a ski company buys a bike company and wants a bigger profit. They have already moved most production to Asia. I'm sad to ses this but it was inevitable. But it's a shame but Time produced some of the nicest riding bikes around and wove their own carbon.

ibis
04-02-2020, 12:08 PM
Sad. I have some friends from the days when I worked for LOOK, who moved over to TIME when the owners of LOOK sold. They are incredibly smart and talented. I hope they can push through.

Clean39T
04-02-2020, 12:22 PM
Their sizing doesn't work for me that well, but I'm still kicking myself for passing up on a Time Scylon in the French scheme (3K weave and red/blue/white highlights) when they were on sale for ~$1500 at Merlin last year or so.

I wish time would do like Colnago and produce one or two more traditional framesets, along with bars, in house, that showcase their heritage and unique design and process - and let the rest get outsourced. I would pay up for a Time designed/built standard road frame/fork that highlights their carbon layup/weave, safety, etc. Something like an Allied Alfa, but built in France.

FlashUNC
04-02-2020, 12:38 PM
Shame, they make the best production carbon bikes on the planet.

bicycletricycle
04-02-2020, 12:46 PM
The pursuit of excellence rarely yields much profit.

texbike
04-02-2020, 01:02 PM
"“the frames and bikes sales under the Time brand have dropped by almost half in the past year. We are still facing too high costs. Our limited production capacities do not allow us to offer competitive prices against high end bikes competitors which design their products in countries with low manufacturing costs....... The French group does not exclude downsizing, closing or selling the Gajary facility and stopping the production of carbon frames....... The company should release more details about its strategy soon, but the decision could be delayed due to the Covid-19. "

That's too bad. However, this is a tough time to be a builder of carbon bikes on a medium to large scale. There's VERY little differentiation at the end of the day. Time's most recent models just don't really stand out in the current, crowded carbon market. Smaller shops like a Crumpton, Allied, or maybe even a Parlee have a better chance in my opinion. It seems like a race to the bottom in a very commoditized space. I feel for those with premium offerings that can't REALLY differentiate their offerings or adequately justify a price premium when the actual differences in functionality are so narrow. This all existed prior to the current C19 environment of course, but it's going to be even tougher now and will probably get worse for the next 9-18 months.

I wish time would do like Colnago and produce one or two more traditional framesets, along with bars, in house, that showcase their heritage and unique design and process - and let the rest get outsourced. I would pay up for a Time designed/built standard road frame/fork that highlights their carbon layup/weave, safety, etc. Something like an Allied Alfa, but built in France.

Time did do that for a while. Maybe they still do. It's a good model - Colnago, Parlee, and Trek have all done this as well. Take the halo approach to the product line with your top products produced domestically and their reputation extending to your lower line offerings that are produced offshore. However, Time has always been very niche anyway. You probably need a more recognizable name to make that work.

Texbike

prototoast
04-02-2020, 01:43 PM
These bikes always look really interesting to me, but there was always something a little bit off that made them a hard sell. The geometry didn't quite work for me, tire clearance often seemed to be an issue, and lots of seatmasts with proprietary hardware. There might be a few good deals floating around from time to time, but at baseline they have just been too expensive to justify if the bike wasn't exactly what I needed.

I hope they can continue the business, because I think they add some real value particularly with their unique manufacturing process, but they may either need to become a smaller brand appealing to a more targeted audience. Or they need some more accessible entry point to help build a stream of customers.

nobuseri
04-02-2020, 01:54 PM
Sad to hear. The older, Boonen era VXR*/ProTeam/ULTeam bikes were baller framesets. Producing their own carbon to make framesets.

The baller frames are costly, but not surprisingly so given the overhead/fabrication process. Hard to compete with the go-to production process today.

I hope they can try to stay afloat in some way.

herb5998
04-02-2020, 02:29 PM
Really well made frames (I owned 3), the quality was great, and I really like the QuickSet headset, although some of the early ones had issues. Hopefully they can find a way to scale down appropriately, cut the range down (not that it's huge now).

Also a big fan of their pedals, so I hope that stays around as well, probably an easier margin compared to the frames, but really good.

lavi
04-02-2020, 02:34 PM
Dang. I guess not totally surprising.

My VXRS was one of my most favorite bikes. Ever. Will likely remain in my top 5.

jemoryl
04-02-2020, 04:00 PM
Always liked their bikes and was impressed how they made them 'from scratch' in France. Didn't have good distribution in the US from what I could see. I continue to use their pedals.

Speaking of French made frames, I haven't heard anything about Cyfac in a long time. Always wanted to own one of those (but since I buy about 1 frame every 8 years....).

8eh3iub
04-02-2020, 04:08 PM
Always liked their bikes and was impressed how they made them 'from scratch' in France. Didn't have good distribution in the US from what I could see. I continue to use their pedals.

Speaking of French made frames, I haven't heard anything about Cyfac in a long time. Always wanted to own one of those (but since I buy about 1 frame every 8 years....).

Cyfac has evolved a bit...

https://cyclingtips.com/2020/02/bikes-of-the-bunch-cyfac-exostiff-gravel/

lookout2015
04-02-2020, 04:26 PM

I think they lost their US importer / distributor a couple years ago....

colker
04-02-2020, 04:44 PM
People buy the wrong things and good stuff ends out of businness.

Overshot
04-02-2020, 05:13 PM
Total bummer. These are super nice bikes in person, although I’ve never ridden one.

skouri1
04-02-2020, 07:13 PM
I have a VXR and love it. Amazing video on their manufacturing process...Unfortunate. Had their pedals as well in the past and they were amazing light and pretty durable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66ffKebNPbs

Velocipede
04-02-2020, 07:33 PM
Time has always had a problem. Always known for their pedals and not their frames except of course they've won every Grand Tour overall or multiple stages. Won Worlds, Won Paris Roubaix. Won track worlds. Won tons of stuff. But it's always been the pedals. Main reason? The frames were expensive, not well marketed, poor distribution and in a crowded field. Which is disappointing cause the ones I've owned or own currently, easily the nicest bikes ever. Amazingly light, great feel, quick climbing, look great and they fit perfectly. I love them.

But they've had issues. At one point LeMond was the importer but Time France couldn't get them pedals or frames and wouldn't take care of problems. So he had them for only 2 years. They've bounced around for 20 years like that. Oddly, most of the time they've been located in Minnesota. Who knows why. But after Rossi bought them, I figured they'd do something great and instead they've ignored them.

I hope they can get out of this funk. Roland would freak knowing what's happened. He loved bikes.

LegendRider
04-02-2020, 08:59 PM
My VXRS is on the trainer for Zwifting. It's fairly flexible - very obvious why Boonen needed a custom one.

fa63
04-02-2020, 09:09 PM
Amen.

The pursuit of excellence rarely yields much profit.

Michael Maddox
04-02-2020, 10:18 PM
I have three recent Time bikes, a Skylon, a Fluidty, and an Alpe d'Huez disc, all with the Aktiv fork. Arguably among the best bikes I've ever seen or owned. And I can't tell you how many models of Time pedals I've owned...from the original Equipes to the current line of Enduro pedals. I even had the Carnac-made original shoes in several models.

This really bums me out. It's hard to find a "manufacturer" that isn't a bespoke builder who builds such high quality in such low volumes. Truly amazing folks.

I was hoping to visit the factory this year, but given the state of things and my already-cancelled trip to the Spring Classics, looks like this might never happen.

fogrider
04-03-2020, 01:08 AM
My VXRS is on the trainer for Zwifting. It's fairly flexible - very obvious why Boonen needed a custom one.

My VXRS is one of my best riding bikes! I have it built up right at 6.8 pounds... so yeah not my stiffest bike. and once you lock it down on trainer, it's gonna flex. back in 2008, or around then, they had an issue with the aluminum reacting to carbon at the bottom bracket.

LegendRider
04-03-2020, 09:15 AM
My VXRS is one of my best riding bikes! I have it built up right at 6.8 pounds... so yeah not my stiffest bike. and once you lock it down on trainer, it's gonna flex. back in 2008, or around then, they had an issue with the aluminum reacting to carbon at the bottom bracket.

I rode the VXRS many miles on the road and though I still thought it was flexy, I also liked it a lot. Very different feel from my C50 from the same era.

I have the corrosion issue. The bottom bracket hasn't slipped and the threads are still fine, but there is significant corrosion between the threaded areas.

skouri1
04-03-2020, 11:34 AM
Boonen has way more power than us. not remotely comparable.
Craig (who makes race bikes that don't flex) said that they were flexible along the top tube and deliberately, for handling purposes I believe time said.
My vxr is plenty stiff for me, i'm on the lighter end but can put out some decent W but obviously non boonen power.
the stand out for me is it jumps when you need it to and is so comfortable over rough roads.
remarkably composed down hill ( i have a weird sensation of having extra time to wait and the bike is never ruffled by leaning/changing lines).
There is some sort of special sauce in these frames. Crumpton admired them, which says a lot. I hope to keep riding mine for years. Seriously top 2 road bike, hands down. I love my spectrum, which fits even better. But based purely on ride...if I paid the same for each, I might have chosen the time, I hate to admit it.

texbike
04-03-2020, 11:48 AM
I have a nice 2007ish VXS frameset that's been hanging in the garage for almost 3 years without being built or ridden. From everyone's experience stated here, it sounds like I really need to build it and give it a try.

Texbike

robt57
04-03-2020, 12:15 PM
How are 'which' Time frames when comparing to say, the beloved 585 and Ultras etc.?

joemull
04-03-2020, 01:11 PM
Always admired the Time bikes my friends bought from dealer/mechanic Richard Goldy in San Mateo. When I finally went to carbon I ended up getting a Focus on sale partly because I was sick of red/black/white paint schemes. Kind of regret not getting a Time. Guess the pedals and shoes are not affected because they're mfg'd in asia and that's nice, but the frames will be dearly missed. Hope what's left of the framebuilding tradition can survive.

mtechnica
04-03-2020, 01:36 PM
I want a time pretty badly.

Clean39T
04-03-2020, 01:50 PM
I was ogling this before the thread popped:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/sFkAAOSw4mReeSDA/s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Time-Fluidity-700c-Carbon-Road-Frame-59-cm-Rim-Brake-Di2-EPS-eTAP-Ready/303522202036

I have line on a EPS 11 groupset for it too...

Tire clearance is probably limited to 25s? Is that the proper fork for it?

rallizes
04-03-2020, 01:52 PM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Time-Fluidity-700c-Carbon-Road-Frame-59-cm-Rim-Brake-Di2-EPS-eTAP-Ready/303522202036

lol have you even built up the look?

Dave
04-03-2020, 02:13 PM
I've owned LOOK's 381,461 and two 585s (one ultra, one not). All nice bikes, but the newer 785 is what I would get, if I was in the market. I tried to get a 785 Huez (not the pricey RS), for $1700 but that deal fell through, so I got a much cheaper made in Taiwan Colnago C-RS. I still had my old 461 to ride and compare for over a year. The 2004 model KG461 has a softer ride, but it's also the old technology aluminum lug model. It still rode great when I sold it recently. When I had the 585s, they were definitely stiffer than the old 461. I rode all of them with 23mm tires pumped up to 100 psi. Using modern 25mm tires with 85 psi does improve the ride.

The cheaper 785 Huez (not RS) weighs about the same as a 585, but they only want to sell it as a complete bike and it's too pricey to part out and just keep the frame. Better to buy an RS version from Europe.

I'm too old and slow now to pay $4K for an RS frame. My $700 C-RS does just fine.

https://www.lookcycle.com/fr-en/products/bikes/road-bikes/altitude/785-huez/785-huez-red-glossy

FlashUNC
04-03-2020, 02:17 PM
Bike Radar did a factory tour some years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZZkpWc0MJY

Clean39T
04-03-2020, 02:40 PM
lol have you even built up the look?

I let Nobuseri have it instead - cuz I'm nice like that and the XXL Look probably fits his 6'5" self better than my 6'3" self...

This one is more in my wheelhouse fit-wise.

fignon's barber
04-03-2020, 02:54 PM
I've owned LOOK's 381,461 and two 585s (one ultra, one not). All nice bikes, but the newer 785 is what I would get, if I was in the market. I tried to get a 785 Huez (not the pricey RS),......]

I think you missed an opportunity about a month ago. Apparently Look changed wholesalers in the US, and were selling all existing inventory at super good prices. I picked up a Look 785 Huez RS Disc bike for less than half price. I've been too busy to build it due to work, so it sits in a big box in the garage.:eek:

Dave
04-03-2020, 04:25 PM
I think you missed an opportunity about a month ago. Apparently Look changed wholesalers in the US, and were selling all existing inventory at super good prices. I picked up a Look 785 Huez RS Disc bike for less than half price. I've been too busy to build it due to work, so it sits in a big box in the garage.:eek:

Opportunities come and go quickly. I wanted a small size rim brake frame. I was willing to take the gloss black team color, but I really wanted a bright red frame.

I ended up with two Colnago C-RS frames. Kind of strange to have to identical bikes, but I couldn't resist upgrading the old KG461 for only $500 a difference. Both have bargain parts - Chorus 12 and Zondas.

Overshot
04-03-2020, 05:32 PM

That is a clean looking frame!

purplecu22
04-04-2020, 02:10 AM
I understand about the frames. But do we know what shape the pedal side is doing? Ive been riding time pedals for 35 years. The rsx is my favorite. I have a pair of iclic 4. Not great but get all the bio stuff. Should i stock up on rsx cleats now??????

8eh3iub
04-04-2020, 06:35 AM
Having long feared this day, I've been hoarding a VXS Translink. And although it doesn't match the era, one day I'll build it up with some pedals and shoes (Equipe Pro, Carnac-made Times) which I bought 20 years ago, fearing that they too would go extinct. Then again, I have no idea where the pedals and shoes are.