PDA

View Full Version : The Patriots Were Better Than The Chargers

Jeff N.
01-14-2007, 09:04 PM
Never have I seen the Chargers, or any other playoff team for that matter, so thoroughly self-destruct in so many ways as I did at today's game. The Patriots DID NOT self-destruct. I hereby declare them the better team and congratulate them and the Patriot fans on this forum (you know who you are) and everywhere. Good luck in Indy next week. Jeff N.

72gmc
01-14-2007, 09:25 PM
Not having a horse in this game, I'll say the 2 thoughts I had after watching a total of 10 minutes of the game, not including the end:

1. The fumbled interception in the fourth quarter was a killer. As soon it was fumbled I was pretty sure the Pats would win. You have to hang on to that against Tom Brady, because it won't happen again.
2. I guess wrapping your arm around a pass rusher's neck from behind and riding him is no longer holding in the NFL.

Needs Help
01-14-2007, 09:38 PM

72gmc
01-14-2007, 09:41 PM
I can't remember which playoff game it was, but as I remember it, some team was down over 30 points and won.

Warren Moon and the Oilers coughed that game against Frank Rich (who??) and the Bills.

I don't watch pro football much anymore. I was watching that day and really didn't enjoy it...

inGobwetrust
01-14-2007, 10:26 PM
Never have I seen the Chargers, or any other playoff team for that matter, so thoroughly self-destruct as I did at today's game. The Patriots DID NOT self-destruct. I hereby declare them the better team and congratulate them and the Patriot fans on this forum (you know who you are) and everywhere. Good luck in Indy next week. Jeff N.

You're a classy guy, Jeff. EVERY team in the NFL should be very afraid of the Chargers next year. Another year under Rivers' belt will do wonders and I believe he's the real deal. To me the biggest problem the Chargers had today was discipline. There were a couple of stupid penalties that really killed them. Ugly, but exciting game.

1centaur
01-14-2007, 10:35 PM
The Chargers were better on both ends of the field, but penalties, fumbles and inability to hold on to catches killed them. Patriots ought to beat Indy, even though Pats aren't at their best this year. New Orleans looked tough to me - I'll pick them in the Super Bowl. Not totally professional like the Pats but an odd mix of crazy talent, aggressive play calling and impending fate.

vaxn8r
01-15-2007, 12:23 AM
Warren Moon and the Oilers coughed that game against Frank Rich (who??) and the Bills.

I don't watch pro football much anymore. I was watching that day and really didn't enjoy it...
Didn't you mean "Couged it"? :D

Jeff N.
01-15-2007, 12:55 AM
The Chargers were better on both ends of the field, but penalties, fumbles and inability to hold on to catches killed them. Patriots ought to beat Indy, even though Pats aren't at their best this year. New Orleans looked tough to me - I'll pick them in the Super Bowl. Not totally professional like the Pats but an odd mix of crazy talent, aggressive play calling and impending fate.Agreed. Jeff N.

Jeff N.
01-15-2007, 08:12 AM
You're a classy guy, Jeff. EVERY team in the NFL should be very afraid of the Chargers next year. Another year under Rivers' belt will do wonders and I believe he's the real deal. To me the biggest problem the Chargers had today was discipline. There were a couple of stupid penalties that really killed them. Ugly, but exciting game.Thanks for the kind words, but I'm just paying off a bet. Jeff N.

davids
01-15-2007, 08:15 AM
Never have I seen the Chargers, or any other playoff team for that matter, so thoroughly self-destruct in so many ways as I did at today's game. The Patriots DID NOT self-destruct. I hereby declare them the better team and congratulate them and the Patriot fans on this forum (you know who you are) and everywhere. Good luck in Indy next week. Jeff N.
You're a gracious man, Jeff. That must have been painful for you to watch. I agree with someone who wrote that the more physically talented team lost to the more experienced team. It was a h3ll of a game, and one that will be added to the list of games the Pats should have lost but, incredibly, found a way to win.

The Chargers will certainly be back in the hunt next year!

obtuse
01-15-2007, 09:41 AM
the chargers' coach lost the game for them.

obtuse

39cross
01-15-2007, 10:32 AM
the chargers' coach lost the game for them.

obtuseI dunno...his challenge on the interception seemed stupid at the time, and it cost them a time-out that might have made that field goal kick a 44-yarder instead of a 54-yarder. I don't really understand why he had his team go for it on 4th and 11 either, but if he had made it, it would have been another story.

Marty may be the scape goat, but he had plenty of help from his players in losing it, after all they were the ones on the field.

stevep
01-15-2007, 10:39 AM
yeah, the challenge was clearly dumb. if you saw that replay there was no conceivable challenge there.
he locked up.

72gmc
01-15-2007, 11:28 AM
Didn't you mean "Couged it"? :D

You sayin' that about a Husky... remind me to bring my pre-perforated loaner tube if we ever ride together.

Len J
01-15-2007, 12:34 PM
yeah, the challenge was clearly dumb. if you saw that replay there was no conceivable challenge there.
he locked up.

the 4th and 12 in the first quarter he went for? How stupid was that?

Or the not putting the ball in LT's hands almost the entire second half?

The Chargers were better in every conceivable way except for the Coach.

I suspect the Pats go down to Indy next week.

Len

MarleyMon
01-15-2007, 12:47 PM

Thanks, Len.
That makes 2 of us (on this forum) that see it that way.

inGobwetrust
01-15-2007, 03:20 PM
the 4th and 12 in the first quarter he went for? How stupid was that?

Or the not putting the ball in LT's hands almost the entire second half?

The Chargers were better in every conceivable way except for the Coach.

Len

You guys don't get it. The Pats will give up all kinds of yardage between 20 yard lines but not much in the red zone. It's called bend-don't-break. Perhaps you've heard of it? You can place blame and proclaim a higher talent level on the Chargers all day long but the fact is that, in the NFL, the only stat that counts is the final score. The Patriots organization understands that and they only bring in players that understand it as well. They play to win, not to rack up great personal statistics.

Which of the 2 teams had players talking smack BEFORE the game? Which organization planned the Super Bowl victory parade LAST WEEK? Which side committed STUPID PENALTIES that cost posession changes? It's not just about the talent on the field, it's also how the talent is harnessed and about playing smarter with the big picture in mind.

The Chargers were NOT better in "every conceivable way" except for the coach. Their vaunted super star linebacker, steroid boy, barely showed up. The only times he made big plays he was being blocked by a running back or a tight end. When he was blocked by Matt Light
(most of the game), he made NO impact. So much for all the smack he talked!

Poor little LT! His feelings were hurt because the mean players on the other team did a little dance celebrating AFTER the game.......... Didn't Mr. All-World linebacker make up that dance? You know, the one he did after all 2 of his tackles! Oh, he did have 1 sack........ See you on the links, Mr. Merriman!

stevep
01-15-2007, 03:28 PM
Thanks, Len.
That makes 2 of us (on this forum) that see it that way.

2 in america?
no, mannings mother is also picking the colts...that makes 3 for sure.
his father is picking the pats...knows more about football atmo.

keno
01-15-2007, 04:12 PM
A not nice thought is that Eli might want to see Big Brother stink out the joint on Sunday so expectations of Eli drop in NYC. Nah, couldn't happen, though he has spent a few years in the Big Apple now.

Speaking of which, I checked out the San Diego newspaper's sports page. The LEAD headline there was to the effect of LT being upset at some Pats' post-game version of soul train. Late in the article there was some mention of the game itself. I can't imagine what the New York Daily News and the New York Post would have looked like today had the Bolts (and Nuts) been a New York team doing what they did yesterday but in NY, actually NJ, but who is counting?

A little rough, but not a personal foul. Three straight days of gray and rain apparently have taken a toll.

keno

Bruce K
01-15-2007, 04:34 PM
Gobie;

EVERY team in the playoffs plans for parades, Super Bowl trips, etc. There is no way they could handle all the logistics if they didn't.

The difference is that the Patriots and most other teams are PROFESSIONAL enough to keep their mouths shut about it until the appropriate time.

Win, lose, or draw, the Patriots usually keep their mouths shut and let their results speak for themselves.

Those that speak out are usually gone at the end of their contracts or sooner. Isn't that right, Ty, Lawyer, Damien, Dion, et al?

BK

Jeff N.
01-15-2007, 05:56 PM
One last word and I'll shut the eff up. The Patriots caught the Chargers having a bad, bad, bad day. Take away all those dropped passes, dropped/fumbled interceptions and costly penalties and the score would've been quite lopsided toward the home team. Patriot fans better hope Manning and company have an equally bad day next Sunday or it'll be THEM who end up crying in their beer like me today! Jeff N.

TimD
01-15-2007, 06:02 PM
First to find excuses and then to resume talking smack?

Hope tomorrow's a good day for golf in the perfect weather!

stevep
01-15-2007, 06:07 PM
in bill parcells words.
" you are what the score says you are".
clever man that parcells.

1centaur
01-15-2007, 06:12 PM
Actually, I think San Diego is a better team than the Pats this season, and the Pats are a better team than the Colts, so I don't think the Pats need the Colts to fumble and bumble their way into the trash bin of history, they just need to execute normally and experience, yet again, the difference between Manning with time and Manning with 1.5 seconds less time.

inGobwetrust
01-15-2007, 06:37 PM
Gobie;

EVERY team in the playoffs plans for parades, Super Bowl trips, etc. There is no way they could handle all the logistics if they didn't.

The difference is that the Patriots and most other teams are PROFESSIONAL enough to keep their mouths shut about it until the appropriate time.

Win, lose, or draw, the Patriots usually keep their mouths shut and let their results speak for themselves.

Those that speak out are usually gone at the end of their contracts or sooner. Isn't that right, Ty, Lawyer, Damien, Dion, et al?

BK

Bruce,

That's pretty much my point. It's Gobbi

inGobwetrust
01-15-2007, 06:42 PM
One last word and I'll shut the eff up. The Patriots caught the Chargers having a bad, bad, bad day. Take away all those dropped passes, dropped/fumbled interceptions and costly penalties and the score would've been quite lopsided toward the home team. Patriot fans better hope Manning and company have an equally bad day next Sunday or it'll be THEM who end up crying in their beer like me today! Jeff N.

And if the Pats went with the hurry-up offense the whole game it would have been quite lopsided the other way. If, if, if...... If the Colts win on Sunday, I won't be crying in my beer, I'll say that the Colts played better.

You still don't get it.

chuckroast
01-15-2007, 07:20 PM
Here in KC, we ran Marty out of town back in the 90's for pretty much the same reason as you saw yesterday. Now with the perspective of 10 years later, we didn't improve ourselves, and in fact the Chiefs became worse over that time. Meanwhile, Marty went back to building up teams that consistently are playoff contenders. In the end, the players make (or don't make) the plays.

39cross
01-15-2007, 08:34 PM
Here in KC, we ran Marty out of town back in the 90's for pretty much the same reason as you saw yesterday. Now with the perspective of 10 years later, we didn't improve ourselves, and in fact the Chiefs became worse over that time. Best thing Herm Edwards ever did for the Jets was to leave and take a job in KC. Maybe you'll be so lucky some day. KC deserves better.

39cross
01-15-2007, 08:42 PM
Take away all those dropped passes, dropped/fumbled interceptions and costly penalties and the score would've been quite lopsided toward the home team. Jeff, if I'd been drinking chocolate milk when I read this, it would have come out of my nose, you made me laugh that hard! The Chargers or maybe 23 other teams using that logic.

Jeff N.
01-21-2007, 09:33 PM
And if the Pats went with the hurry-up offense the whole game it would have been quite lopsided the other way. If, if, if...... If the Colts win on Sunday, I won't be crying in my beer, I'll say that the Colts played better.

You still don't get it.You know, you're right. It took me a week to get it, Gob. Joyfully, I think I get it now. Yes, I'm certain of it!!! :banana: Jeff N.

Jeff N.
01-21-2007, 09:39 PM
Jeff, if I'd been drinking chocolate milk when I read this, it would have come out of my nose, you made me laugh that hard! The Chargers or maybe 23 other teams using that logic.Ahem. You can finish your chocolate milk now. But check the date on the carton. Might be just a little sour!!!Jeff N.

inGobwetrust
01-21-2007, 10:34 PM
I promissed I would say the Colts were better and they were. Congratulations Colts and all Indy fans. Please disregard my statement about Jeff N. having class however.......

Jeff N.
01-22-2007, 08:03 AM
I promissed I would say the Colts were better and they were. Congratulations Colts and all Indy fans. Please disregard my statement about Jeff N. having class however.......Aww, c'mon now...don't be sore...especially now that I (along with many other Chargers fans) am feeling so much better! :D ;)

TimD
01-22-2007, 08:07 AM
Great game, congrats to the Colts! Tough getting to sleep after that one, it could have gone either way, obviously. Maybe Manning won't be living in A-Rod's 'hood after all - we'll see in two weeks.

inGobwetrust
01-22-2007, 11:17 AM
Me:
"You're a classy guy, Jeff. EVERY team in the NFL should be very afraid of the Chargers next year. Another year under Rivers' belt will do wonders and I believe he's the real deal. To me the biggest problem the Chargers had today was discipline. There were a couple of stupid penalties that really killed them. Ugly, but exciting game."

You:
Thanks for the kind words, but I'm just paying off a bet. Jeff N.

Not classy, you said it yourself.

Jeff N.
01-22-2007, 04:20 PM
Me:
"You're a classy guy, Jeff. EVERY team in the NFL should be very afraid of the Chargers next year. Another year under Rivers' belt will do wonders and I believe he's the real deal. To me the biggest problem the Chargers had today was discipline. There were a couple of stupid penalties that really killed them. Ugly, but exciting game."

You:

Not classy, you said it yourself. Give it a rest, man. Game's over. Jeff N.

davids
01-22-2007, 04:23 PM
The only difference between this week and last week was that LAST week the better team lost. THIS week the better team won! The truth hurts, I know. And gosh, I'm just SURE you're LOADED with class when you not trying to kick a man when he's down. Jeff N.
The more you write, the worse you sound. I'd advise you to take a hint, but it doesn't seem worth it.

Jeff N.
01-22-2007, 04:30 PM
The more you write, the worse you sound. I'd advise you to take a hint, but it doesn't seem worth it.I'm done with this. You? Jeff N.