PDA

View Full Version : Colnago Master vs Eddy Merckx MXL handling

aingeru
04-02-2020, 02:57 AM
Hi everyone,
I found a Eddy MXL locally (just contacted the guy) that might be my size
(54ish). Now, I like bikes in my size to handle slow (trail in the high 60's) and have ridden the Colnago Master in the past. I read somewhere here that the Eddy mxl is a great descender and was wondering what makes the bike to behave like that...is it the stiff tubing? is the fork rake? wheelbase? those bikes don't seem to have slack head tube angle.
Has anyone ridden both bikes and can comment on handling differences?
Thanks

oldpotatoe
04-02-2020, 06:27 AM
Hi everyone,
I found a Eddy MXL locally (just contacted the guy) that might be my size
(54ish). Now, I like bikes in my size to handle slow (trail in the high 60's) and have ridden the Colnago Master in the past. I read somewhere here that the Eddy mxl is a great descender and was wondering what makes the bike to behave like that...is it the stiff tubing? is the fork rake? wheelbase? those bikes don't seem to have slack head tube angle.
Has anyone ridden both bikes and can comment on handling differences?
Thanks

Yes, farging magic it is, the MXLeader. I sold Masters and have a MXLeader and I'd say the MXLeader is a combo of stiff but comfy..'brighter' ride than the Colnago. Rides far 'lighter' than it's weight.

BUT, if memory serves and the interweb is correct..54cm MXLeader has a longer top tube(.8cm) and slacker seat tube(.5 degrees) than the Colnago..depends on your femur lengths and torso/arm lengths too..

sailorboy
04-02-2020, 06:40 AM
Yea, the fork is a bit beefier on the MXL perhaps than the comparable offering from Colnago, so that may help with the tracking/descending. I'd also be curious about the BB drop and STA on both as most stock Merckxs have 'century' geo which should err more on the stable side than Nagos with their more steep STA.

I've owned both and agree with Pete's observation that the MXL rides 'lighter and brighter' than it seems like it should. I also ride a 54 so the MXL in my size and weight is probably overkill though certainly not punishing or anything. Go for it if the price is right.