PDA

View Full Version : Di2 junction box question.

Miller76
04-01-2020, 09:33 PM
Greetings Paceliners,

I’ve been trying to buy an Ultegra R8070 Di2 disc break gear kit with the bar end junction but it’s been out of stock for a while.

I’m wondering if the following are compatible and would I need to order anything else to go with it?

https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/shimano-di2-ew-rs910-e-tube-bar-plug-mount-103348.html

And

https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/shimano-ultegra-r8070-di2-disc-brake-gear-kit-137776.html

I have a chainset, wheels and cassette but wondering if I can simply swap out the junction box for the bar end junction or do I need anything else?

The price seems pretty good as far as I have been able to find

Thanks in advance, stay safe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eddief
04-01-2020, 09:52 PM
Those parts, to the best of my knowledge, are compatible. And you need a bunch of other stuff like wires to connect all the pieces, junction box near the handlebar to join the shifters into the system and junction box at or in the bb to join the FD, battery, RD, and shifters into the system, and of course, rotors. And of course hydro brake lines.

I think that's all but someone check my work.

junkfood
04-01-2020, 09:54 PM
That's what I'm running on my bike.

Jake

Spdntrxi
04-01-2020, 09:56 PM
I dont know if its required but I use it on every bike I've setup with di2 bar junction.

I beleive Shimano calls it Di2 split cable.

JWB475
04-01-2020, 09:56 PM
Not as sleek or sexy, but I just plug everything into a 5 port junction box mounted under my stem...

Spdntrxi
04-01-2020, 09:59 PM
I plug everything into a 5 port junction box mounted under my stem...

yes but with a split cable and bar end junction.. you no longer need that eyesore of a junction box ;)

Miller76
04-01-2020, 10:15 PM
I dont know if its required but I use it on every bike I've setup with di2 bar junction.

I beleive Shimano calls it Di2 split cable.

I think that’s the only cable that’s not included (Di2 Split Cable) out of stock at Merlin But I know I can find it online.

I have emailed Merlin to make sure that I wouldn’t need anything else

Thanks all

Velocipede
04-01-2020, 11:37 PM
Pretty sure I have a bar end junction box in my office. I can check in the morning if you want. It's brand new in the box if I have one.

Gummee
04-02-2020, 08:58 AM
I think that’s the only cable that’s not included (Di2 Split Cable) out of stock at Merlin But I know I can find it online.

I have emailed Merlin to make sure that I wouldn’t need anything else

Thanks all

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThe big part that you may be missing is a bar with the right holes in it to run the wires through

M

nooneline
04-02-2020, 09:01 AM
one of the things the bar-end junction lets you do is have some neater wiring. You can have your wiring go from bar-end junction -> left lever -> right lever -> b-junction. Instead of going levers -> a-junction -> b-junction.

Ryun
04-02-2020, 09:05 AM
You need a bar with enough holes. Tough to fit cabling and di2 wires in one hole.
I dont use a split cable. Really only need a female/female connector.
I wired mine with the bar end in the left side.
On the right side I have two wires:
one about 650mm going from the right shifter to the left shifter
another about 350 going from the right shifter to the main wire in the down tube

on the left shifter, the 650 from the right shifter and a 350 to the bar end junction.

Look585
04-02-2020, 09:57 AM
It is possible to fabricate your own "split cable", there is nothing special about the wiring.

Simply¹ cut two cables in half, and solder 3 of the 4 pieces back together in a "Y". You can create as many junctions as you like and even replace the "4-port-B-junction" with strategically located splices.

¹It is a PITA and takes a bit of careful cutting, stripping, soldering, and heat-shrinking. Wire stripper, x-acto knife, heat shrink tubing, heat shrink-solder filled-butt connectors, heat gun, and soldering iron will all be very useful.

one60
04-02-2020, 11:17 AM
the junction B box is small enough to fit into the handlebar, so with an extra di2 wire one can skip the expense of the Y-splitter wire. Pro's Closet has junction B boxes for $10 or less. Di2 wires can be found for less than $20.

I recently set up a 1x system using the remote shift buttons (SW-R9150) and the handlebar junction A in this way.

zmalwo
04-02-2020, 11:29 AM
they are compatible however you will end up having extras, and needing some extras.
if you get the default stem junction the kit will come with 6 cables, 1 stem junction, 1 4way junction box. if you get the bar end separately then you will need a 2 way junction and a y split cable. the extra you will end up having are the stem junction and 1 extra cable. it's better to buy the default then sell the extras than paying an extra $147 on merlin it's a total scam.

robt57
04-02-2020, 11:29 AM
A peeve of mine, I just gotta...

Disc 'BRAKE' Gimme a BREAK! LOL

Miller76
04-02-2020, 03:48 PM
A peeve of mine, I just gotta...

Disc 'BRAKE' Gimme a BREAK! LOL

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200402/cb72a5ce680f8ea8b8c69b5f7a28d8e6.jpg