PDA

View Full Version : OT: Recipe Roulette

C40_guy
04-01-2020, 12:13 PM
Okay, here goes...need some help.

We used a half package of bacon for Shalane Flanagan's recipe Stuffed Chicken Wrapped in Bacon. (Run Fast, Eat Slow cookbook, wonderful!)

Now I've got a half package of bacon left.

What to do with it? Need a dinner recipe for two, three if you're local and the suggestion is good enough...but you'll have to eat in the garage. :)

Also have fresh ground beef and boneless chicken thighs in the fridge.

Frozen wild shrimp in the freezer.

Plenty of eggs (yea that's a fall back...)

(God help me if my rabbi is on this forum! :) )

fmradio516
04-01-2020, 12:16 PM
Carbonara!

AngryScientist
04-01-2020, 12:21 PM
Need a dinner recipe for two, three if you're local and the suggestion is good enough...but you'll have to eat in the garage. :)

Now this is funny!

Assuming you have a card table in the garage and i can look at bikes, and bring my dog, i'm so bored i would absolutely take you up on that offer if i were local!

we do a version of chicken francaise with proscuitto that is excellent, but i think bacon could sub in for that in a pinch and really adds another dimension to the dish.

home made pizza with bacon on top comes to mind too.

jtakeda
04-01-2020, 12:30 PM
Carbonara!

+1

comfort food, not exactly healthy but you can whip one up in 30 mins.

rccardr
04-01-2020, 12:38 PM
Coq au Vin. Made a batch yesterday with thighs and it was a big hit, served over rice with a green salad made with apples, pistachios and blue cheese.

dsimon
04-01-2020, 12:43 PM
BLT's bruh.......

fmradio516
04-01-2020, 12:58 PM
Also if you dont want carbonara, make penne a la vodka instead. I have an INCREDIBLE recipe(from italy) for this. Let me know if you want it.

chrismoustache
04-01-2020, 01:02 PM
+1 for carbonara!

When I make pizza, I cut bacon into 3/4" pieces, cook it up, pull the bacon and drain, then cook down a bunch of tomatoes in the drippings with a ton of red pepper flakes and use this as the sauce.

Ken Robb
04-01-2020, 01:05 PM
You guys are making me hungry! Let's have the recipes please.

benb
04-01-2020, 01:07 PM
I'm going to make homemade French onion soup later this afternoon. I've only done it once before.. not hard, just time consuming.

I made my own custom/homemade pasta sauce the other night. Olive oil/onions/garlic/tomatoes/red wine, it came out great. We had that with Rotini + breaded chicken cutlets + roasted butternut squash.

We had bison burgers one night this week as well. Not that fun to cook them outside in the 40F + rain but they were tasty.

We had scallops one night.

Carbonara is a good idea.

We have yet to order any takeout/delivery. We just keep getting groceries delivered online. Getting a delivery slot is only slightly easier than getting sports or concert tickets but we keep managing.

We can cook, if we're stuck at home it is the logical choice, it's the safest for my wife & son who have Celiac. As long as we take the time it's better than anything except really expensive restaurants.

I almost always do all the dishes at home, I'm getting hammered there though.

C40_guy
04-01-2020, 01:12 PM
We can cook, if we're stuck at home it is the logical choice, it's the safest for my wife & son who have Celiac.

Wife and daughter here. Shopping at WF recently, the only pasta still available was GF. :) But even the frozen GF pizzas were gone!

Side note...does your wife know about the GF bakery Twist (https://www.twist-bakery.com/) in Millis? My wife cried the first time she went there, said "You mean I can eat *everything*?"

I almost always do all the dishes at home, I'm getting hammered there though.

PUT DOWN THE WINE GLASS until the dishes are done! :)

benb
04-01-2020, 01:38 PM
LOL.. I just meant I'm doing way more dishes than usual.

I haven't been drinking.

Yes.. we know about Twist.. my wife recruited them into creating their Burlington location after visiting Millis. The Burlington location is a tenant of the company she works for.

Ken Robb
04-01-2020, 01:43 PM
[QUOTE=benb;2687157]I'm going to make homemade French onion soup later this afternoon. I've only done it once before.. not hard, just time consuming.

Let us know how you do the soup and if it was worth the effort. Leslie and I LOVE onion soup.

tuxbailey
04-01-2020, 01:45 PM
Also if you dont want carbonara, make penne a la vodka instead. I have an INCREDIBLE recipe(from italy) for this. Let me know if you want it.

I don't mind if you share. I have a handle of Costco vodka in my house.

jtakeda
04-01-2020, 01:46 PM
BLT's bruh.......

Dude. Tomatoes are so out of season that’s just a waste of all the other ingredients

C40_guy
04-01-2020, 01:48 PM
Dude. Tomatoes are so out of season that’s just a waste of all the other ingredients

IDK. I used a 28 oz can of crushed tomatos for chili the other day and they were fine...

fmradio516
04-01-2020, 01:49 PM
I don't mind if you share. I have a handle of Costco vodka in my house.

https://blog.giallozafferano.it/nocemoscata/pennette-alla-vodka-ricetta-classica/

its in Italian so just use your browsers translator. If you have trouble, I can email you a PDF already translated.

WARNING: VERY GOOD!

C40_guy
04-01-2020, 01:51 PM
LOL.. I just meant I'm doing way more dishes than usual.

I haven't been drinking.

Yes.. we know about Twist.. my wife recruited them into creating their Burlington location after visiting Millis. The Burlington location is a tenant of the company she works for.

I know...we're going through a lot of dishes too. Have to be careful here, dishwasher detergent is in short supply. We've been using Cascade powder for decades, couldn't find any recently and bought a box of the stupid pods as backup. They leave a weird smell on the dishes. Turns out the powder has been discontinued, and all the manufacturers are going to these stupid pods.

That's great news about Twist...I didn't know that they are opening a second location!

AngryScientist
04-01-2020, 01:59 PM
https://blog.giallozafferano.it/nocemoscata/pennette-alla-vodka-ricetta-classica/

its in Italian so just use your browsers translator. If you have trouble, I can email you a PDF already translated.

that looks good FM. we have some bacon here too!

fmradio516
04-01-2020, 02:02 PM
that looks good FM. we have some bacon here too!

Its really incredible.

Alright people lets see some dinners tonight. I have ribs coming up.

ORMojo
04-01-2020, 02:12 PM
Good suggestions already.

If you resort to using the eggs, consider a quiche or fritatta
Turn something that is normally "sweet" into something savory, such as adding bacon to a Dutch Baby
Chili!
Brussels Sprouts (also add blue cheese, red pepper flakes, nuts, many other options)
Crumble extremely fine and toss with popcorn
Clam (or other) chowder

Finally, and somewhat unrelated, to give you a specific lead on the Brussels Sprouts suggestion, here is a recipe. Don't be thrown by the name! I tried this on a whim as a Thanksgiving side dish 3-4 years ago (I always cook one brand-new dish every T-Giving), and it was a huge hit, even among those that say they don't like sprouts. It is really good. And, no, the recipe doesn't call for bacon, but one of the times I made it, I added crumbled bacon and liked the outcome. Also, most of the time I now make it without bothering with the syrup/sauce. Some other variations I've tried include half&half dried cranberries/sour cherries, or finely chopped nuts (several options could work).

Cranberry, Butternut and Brussels Sprout Brie Skillet Nachos

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups butternut squash peeled and cut into small cubes
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon brown sugar
pinch of salt and pepper
1 cup brussels sprouts sliced thin (into shreds)
2 cloves garlic minced or grated
1 tablespoon fresh thyme chopped
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or more to your taste
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/2 cup dried cranberries
8 ounces fontina cheese shredded (may sub another white cheese)
8 ounces brie sliced
1 bag tortilla chips
4 ounces gorgonzola or blue cheese crumbled (for topping)

Cranberry Mollasses/Syrup/Sauce

1 cup pure cranberry juice
1 tablespoon brown sugar

Instructions

Heat a large skillet (10-12 inches) over medium heat, add the olive oil. Now add the butternut squash, sprinkle with brown sugar and season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat stirring frequently to avoid burning for 15 minutes or until the squash is fork tender. Now toss in the sliced brussels sprouts, garlic, thyme, chili powder, cayenne and crushed red pepper. Continue to cook another 10 minutes, stirring frequently until both the squash and brussels sprouts are beginning to caramelize all over. Once caramelized, remove from the heat and stir in the dried cranberries. Slide the mixture onto a plate.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

In the same skillet you cooked the veggies in, add 1/3 of the chips to the bottom and then cover them with 1/3 the cheese (a little brie, a little fontina), then sprinkle with 1/3 of the veggie mixture. Repeat this 2 more times until all of the cheese and veggie mixture have been used.

Place the skillet in the oven and bake for 7-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly! Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the gorgonzola cheese (or you can add this before with the rest of the cheese) and serve drizzled with the Cranberry Molasses (do this!). Devour!

To make the cranberry molasses add the cranberry juice and brown sugar to a small sauce pot. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook 5-8 minutes or until the mixture is reduced and syrupy. Serve with the nachos. If the molasses gets too thick just add a little cranberry juice to thin it out.

AngryScientist
04-01-2020, 02:15 PM
we are into Lodge Jumbalaya tonight

https://www.lodgemfg.com/recipe/seafood-and-chicken-jambalaya

unterhausen
04-01-2020, 02:37 PM
When most meat was sold out, I bought a big pack of bacon at Sam's with the intention of freezing most of it. I cut it up first.

benb
04-01-2020, 02:48 PM
That's great news about Twist...I didn't know that they are opening a second location!

It's been open since last summer. It's across the street from Wegman's in Burlington.

cgolvin
04-01-2020, 03:11 PM
To make it slightly less OT…make savory rice cakes for when you're next able to ride: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bslh-cJnGzs

Yesterday I made a batch using his apple & cinnamon recipe, and added a layer of almond butter in the middle. Now sitting in the fridge. I'm trying to reduce the amount of trash that I generate when riding so hope these can replace bars and bloks (and that I can re-use the wax paper, though that stuff actually degrades).

Ozz
04-01-2020, 03:30 PM
Pea Soup (ham hock is best, but bacon works in a pinch)

Bacon
Split peas
Celery / Onion / Carrot (chopped = mirepoix)
Vegetable broth
Salt & Pepper

Fry the bacon in the soup pot till crispy / remove and chop
Saute mirepoix (generous helping - 2+ cups)
Salt & Pepper to taste (I like lots of pepper)
Add 1lb split peas - saute 3 mins
Add 6 cups vegetable broth - simmer for an hour / peas are soft
Add water to desired consistency (optional)
Add chopped bacon
Simmer another 20 mins
Serve

merlinmurph
04-01-2020, 04:11 PM
We have a beef chili we make that has bacon in it, and I think a half package is what it calls for (6 slices).

Ken Robb
04-01-2020, 04:17 PM
[QUOTE=Ozz;2687285]Pea Soup (ham hock is best, but bacon works in a pinch)

What's the difference between pea soup and mashed potatoes?

Anyone can mash potatoes. Ba-Da-BOOM. :)

Frankwurst
04-01-2020, 04:38 PM
We had bacon quiche last night. Had bacon ,cherry tomatoes sliced in half, chopped onions and the wife's secret herbs and spices. Tonight it's grilled chicken wings and sweet potato and regular potato baked fries and who knows what else. She cooks. I eat. And people ask me how come I'm so fat. :beer:

estilley
04-01-2020, 04:43 PM
If you make Penne vodka you must use the entire tube of tomato paste.

I'm never going back.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/rigatoni-with-easy-vodka-sauce

Ken Robb
04-01-2020, 04:46 PM
NY steak and chopped salad of kale and lettuce with bacon bits and a boubon whiskey dressing. It's all just an excuse to enjoy a big red. :banana:

C40_guy
04-01-2020, 05:19 PM
Share the visuals!

tuxbailey
04-01-2020, 05:48 PM
I made this last week. Incredibly simple to made. Specially if you have an instant pot.

fmradio516
04-01-2020, 05:59 PM
I made this last week. Incredibly simple to made. Specially if you have an instant pot.

ribs in an instant pot! never thought of that... ive done sous vide before, but not pressure. interesting.

Ozz
04-01-2020, 06:52 PM
you must have finished on the grill....yes?

Man, I wish my wife still ate ribs......:cool:

fmradio516
04-01-2020, 07:03 PM
Oven ribs tonighthttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200402/0cdd90a71baa6e7c44a7a6c0692bb2dd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tuxbailey
04-01-2020, 07:06 PM
you must have finished on the grill....yes?

Man, I wish my wife still ate ribs......:cool:

Nope. Just broiled for 5 min.

Very simple recipe:

- Buy some spare ribs.
- Rub some Lee Kum Kee Char Siu Sauce (https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91UaPqpkjpL._SL1500_.jpg) all over the ribs. Store in the refrigerator over night.
- In the instanpot, put a steamer rack inside the pot, add two cups of water.
- Put ribs inside vertically around the pot. Save the left over sauce.
- Sealed and set instantpot to manual for 30 mins. Let it depressurize slowly.
- Put ribs on baking sheet, brush the left over sauce on both sides.
- Broil in the oven, top rack, meat side up for minutes.

Enjoy, meat fall off the bones literally.

tuxbailey
04-01-2020, 07:21 PM

Can you email me recipe? I tried translating it and couple ingredients and steps got lost in translation.

fmradio516
04-01-2020, 07:22 PM
Can you email me recipe? I tried translating it and couple ingredients and steps got lost in translation.

Sure thing. Just PM me your email and I'll send it over in the morning.

Ozz
04-02-2020, 10:31 AM
Nope. Just broiled for 5 min.

Very simple recipe:

- Buy some spare ribs.
- Rub some Lee Kum Kee Char Siu Sauce (https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91UaPqpkjpL._SL1500_.jpg) all over the ribs. Store in the refrigerator over night.
- In the instanpot, put a steamer rack inside the pot, add two cups of water.
- Put ribs inside vertically around the pot. Save the left over sauce.
- Sealed and set instantpot to manual for 30 mins. Let it depressurize slowly.
- Put ribs on baking sheet, brush the left over sauce on both sides.
- Broil in the oven, top rack, meat side up for minutes.

Enjoy, meat fall off the bones literally.
If you like Asian bbq….this is a winner:

Ingredients
½ cup gochujang (Korean hot pepper paste)
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
Kosher salt
3 pounds baby back pork ribs, separated into individual ribs
Spicy Glazed Pork Ribs Recipe | Bon Appetit

www.bonappetit.com/recipe/spicy-glazed-pork-ribs

Gochujang is the (my) new Sriracha sauce!;)

Irishgirl
04-02-2020, 04:52 PM
Wait...why is this a question...doesn’t bacon go with EVERYTHING!!

How about chocolate covered bacon for dessert to go with the dinner.

And where is local ? I’m stepping away from the screens and need a destination. [emoji6]

Jaybee
04-03-2020, 10:54 AM

This 100% lived up to the hype.

Unlike a lot of vodka sauces which are essentially pink alfredo, this one has some real depth with the smoky bacon, halfway to carmelized onion and some real intense tomato flavor. It's going in the regular rotation, stuck at home or not.

Thank you for this.

fmradio516
04-03-2020, 11:13 AM

Unlike a lot of vodka sauces which are essentially pink alfredo, this one has some real depth with the smoky bacon, halfway to carmelized onion and some real intense tomato flavor. It's going in the regular rotation, stuck at home or not.

Thank you for this.

Yes!!! Glad you enjoyed it! the perks of being married to an ill-tempered, italian lady.

estilley
04-03-2020, 04:27 PM
I made tamales, very happy with the results.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/pork-tamales-rojas

(Photo taken before they cooked)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49731825923_307aa38378_z.jpg

and also a fridge clean-out hash another night

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49731826528_f68bd9bffe_z.jpg

AngryScientist
04-08-2020, 05:09 PM

Thank you for this.

Yes!!! Glad you enjoyed it! the perks of being married to an ill-tempered, italian lady.

yes! shout out to fmradio. good stuff. our instacart delivery allowed this tonight. we added a little chicken too to keep the kids happy. everyone enjoyed, very good.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-LiagEEa6aqE/Xo5LGzCu-SI/AAAAAAAADn0/DvWhRXOFhFQFL7qtClu7NV6oATcis7-4QCLcBGAsYHQ/s1200/IMG_5266.jpg

fmradio516
04-08-2020, 05:36 PM
:banana:

estilley
04-08-2020, 06:18 PM
I made bagels again. Still working on the crust, but getting somewhere. At least for PNW standards.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49750721648_d9b24eb7af_z.jpg

Ozz
04-08-2020, 06:33 PM
yes! shout out to fmradio. good stuff. our instacart delivery allowed this tonight. we added a little chicken too to keep the kids happy. everyone enjoyed, very good.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-LiagEEa6aqE/Xo5LGzCu-SI/AAAAAAAADn0/DvWhRXOFhFQFL7qtClu7NV6oATcis7-4QCLcBGAsYHQ/s1200/IMG_5266.jpg

Looks great!

But not to nit-pick.....but your wine glass is too full.....should be about half full...to widest part of the glass.

Salute!

;)

AngryScientist
04-08-2020, 06:48 PM
Looks great!

But not to nit-pick.....but your wine glass is too full.....should be about half full...to widest part of the glass.

Salute!

;)

wha hahaaa haa - no worries Ozzzz my man. it is empty now :)

AngryScientist
04-08-2020, 06:49 PM
wha hahaaa haa - no worries Ozzzz my man. it is empty now :)

a delicious williamette valley pinot noir i must say as well!

AngryScientist
04-08-2020, 06:51 PM
Looks great!

Salute!

;)

also, in these trying times, your glass can never be too full :)

tuxbailey
04-08-2020, 08:26 PM
I haven't had the chance to make the pasta yet. But I did buy the smoke bacon.

I asked my sister to order a one pound pack via her instacart from Safeway. The shopper texted her that 1 lb pack is out but they have 3 lb pack and my sister approved.

Now what I am going to do with $45 worth of Applewood smoked bacon?!

Meanwhile, I made a Basque Cheesecake. The contrasting flavor of the soft cheesecake and the caramelized top is very good.

fmradio516
04-08-2020, 08:34 PM
I haven't had the chance to make the pasta yet. But I did buy the smoke bacon.

I asked my sister to order a one pound pack via her instacart from Safeway. The shopper texted her that 1 lb pack is out but they have 3 lb pack and my sister approved.

Now what I am going to do with $45 worth of Applewood smoked bacon?!

Meanwhile, I made a Basque Cheesecake. The contrasting flavor of the soft cheesecake and the caramelized top is very good.

Wow that looks amazing! I would enjoy that thoroughly.

tuxbailey
04-08-2020, 08:47 PM
Wow that looks amazing! I would enjoy that thoroughly.

Easy using this recipe. I just blend everything in the blender until smooth.

Recipe:

620 g cream cheese
250g sugar
4ea eggs
240g heavy cream
30g cake flour
1g salt
5g Vanilla extract

Whip cream cheese to very soft.
Add sugar. Whip and scrape well.
Add in eggs, one at a time.
Scrape very well.
Add in heavy cream, vanilla extract and salt.
Scrape well.
Sift in flour. Whisk together.
Tab away air bubbles.
Bake at 400f, 50+mins. Dark brown color, but jiggle in the center.

For an 8" cake

I used half the ingredient for a 6" cake.

Instead of mixing each ingredient, I just put everything into a Vitamix, blend until smooth. Tap out the bubbles and pour into a parchment lined baking pan. Bake at 400F for 50 mins.

Ozz
04-09-2020, 11:30 AM
also, in these trying times, your glass can never be too full :)
I like your positive attitude!

fmradio516
04-09-2020, 11:54 AM
Easy using this recipe. I just blend everything in the blender until smooth.

Recipe:

620 g cream cheese
250g sugar
4ea eggs
240g heavy cream
30g cake flour
1g salt
5g Vanilla extract

Whip cream cheese to very soft.
Add sugar. Whip and scrape well.
Add in eggs, one at a time.
Scrape very well.
Add in heavy cream, vanilla extract and salt.
Scrape well.
Sift in flour. Whisk together.
Tab away air bubbles.
Bake at 400f, 50+mins. Dark brown color, but jiggle in the center.

For an 8" cake

I used half the ingredient for a 6" cake.

Instead of mixing each ingredient, I just put everything into a Vitamix, blend until smooth. Tap out the bubbles and pour into a parchment lined baking pan. Bake at 400F for 50 mins.

Thanks!!!

tuxbailey
04-09-2020, 06:57 PM
It took me over an hour to make the sauce but it was well worth it.

https://tuxbailey.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p3879523398-4.jpg
https://tuxbailey.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p3879523401-4.jpg
https://tuxbailey.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p3879523400-4.jpg
https://tuxbailey.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p3879525024-4.jpg
https://tuxbailey.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p3879523399-4.jpg
https://tuxbailey.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p3879523397-4.jpg

estilley
04-15-2020, 12:49 PM
Made some Sicilian!

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49777846691_c8a9f3f82a_z.jpg

C40_guy
04-15-2020, 01:19 PM
I really want to start making sourdough bread...but I just can't get my head around the concept of sourdough starter. Anybody make sourdough bread?

unterhausen
04-15-2020, 01:27 PM
I thought the starter was fairly obvious, but it looks like it would take some discipline. Fortunately, I got some yeast, because I just don't need any more projects right now, and starter looks like a project.

providence
04-15-2020, 01:34 PM
Grilled cheese for lunch because I had sourdough bread and cheese slices to use up.

https://i.ibb.co/GQPmst1/5-D0-F6063-D5-A9-4-FFA-BC07-05-D5-D71-C8-EDD.jpg