PDA

View Full Version : Cinelli King Zydeco

ariw
03-31-2020, 09:47 PM
So, this frameset kind of intrigued me as a build that could do dual duty as a road bike with 700c wheels and gravel with 650b. The adjustable trail fork seems like an interesting idea to make the handling actually change for the 2 setups. Anyone ridden one? What do y’all think?

Ari

one60
04-01-2020, 02:38 AM
this frame has intrigued me as well. I particularly like that they dropped the stays on both sides as the aestheics are improved. Recently saw one in Spain and the color is beautiful...much brighter than the photos I'd seen. All together a sharp looking bike.

KonaSS
04-01-2020, 05:17 AM
Cinelli lists a 36 as minimum chainring size on a 2x drivetrain. Can't even use a 50x34, the most popular compact crank size. Would keep me away from this bike.

R3awak3n
04-01-2020, 06:05 AM
Cinelli lists a 36 as minimum chainring size on a 2x drivetrain. Can't even use a 50x34, the most popular compact crank size. Would keep me away from this bike.

yeah, that is strange but its because of the drop stay. I till hit the chain. On my OPEN I had 48-32 and was way to tight for my liking however 34 was "fine" but here seems like the stay drops even lower. Maybe they tested it and had some problems with chain suck which I also had tons of problems with on my OPEN when I had 2x. Pretty much these kinds of bikes I would only run 1x. They were designed for 1x but manufacturers let you 2x just so they can sell a few more.

ariw
04-01-2020, 06:56 AM

Considering the dual use I am looking for and the flatness of Florida, 36/52 should be fine for the front. Was thinking about Campy 12sp to get wide range in the back. Compatibility isn't an issue - this would be my first disc other than MTB

-Ari

R3awak3n
04-01-2020, 07:10 AM
what about this frame intrigues you compared to say an ibbis hakka or a santa cruz stig?

ariw
04-01-2020, 07:57 AM
what about this frame intrigues you compared to say an ibbis hakka or a santa cruz stig?

Both of those options seem like pure cross bikes, but I say that without having a chance to ride either. The Cinelli seems like it could be pretty darn good at road/gravel/cross, but not as good as dedicated bikes for those disciplines. The ability to change the geo with the fork acknowledges that road and off-road should have different geos. I will always have a dedicated road bike, so this would be a backup for that.

mistermo
04-01-2020, 08:23 AM
fwiw, Im now running 1x 12 on both road and gravel and am enjoying it! Road is 46, 10-45. Maybe I'll up it to 48, dunno. Gravel is 44, 10-45. I've got a spare 42t ring I can swap if I need more gearing for hills. Never say never, but we may have reached the point with 12s gearing that I'll never go back to 2x.

And...I've ridden plenty of cross bikes and don't think the Hakka MX rides like a cross bike. It doesn't feel as "tall" and isn't designed for slow speed cornering, like the older Hakkalugi carbon, canit, cross I've got (which I ridden for gravel), or the Moots Psychlo X too. I'll soon be selling both of those as I consolidate.